Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:19 am 

Quote:
Is there any reason Derek Tailer doesn't record any guitars on OverKill albums? I've heard this before and I don't understand why it's the case.

Like BH said, it's about tightness. Imagine drawing a circle on a piece of paper, and then drawing another circle over the top of it. It'll be way neater if you draw both circles, rather than you drawing one and your friend drawing the other.

Metal guitars are usually recorded with two tracks (or four in some cases), and it generally sounds better if they're all recorded by the same person.

devil1111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:04 am 

Merritt and cannavino was the best duo to me after the departure of bobby, they had good sense of riffing and well written solos, linsk iş my least favorite

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:26 am 

Isn't it also related to how big of a share of the money people will get, depending on how much they participated in the making of an album?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:27 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Isn't it also related to how big of a share of the money people will get, depending on how much they participated in the making of an album?

Nah. Every band does this.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:28 pm 

devil1111 wrote:
Merritt and cannavino was the best duo to me after the departure of bobby, they had good sense of riffing and well written solos, linsk iş my least favorite

Couldn't agree more! I don't know who's bright idea it was to hire a guitarist primarily influenced by zakk wylde. So lame.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:37 pm 

Derek's lineup roles have been restored to how they were. N00b user oversight.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:21 pm 

I've always wondered what Blitz is saying during the very beginning of "Birth of Tension." Anybody else able to make anything out? My headphones are garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGTRVkn4UYM
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Operation Pivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:45 am 

How many Aussie Overkill fans are primed for this week's festivities?
Who will I see at the Melbourne show?

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:55 am 

I'll be there Friday. Looking forward to it.

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:07 pm 

I've seen them a few times over the years and they absolutely always deliver.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:09 pm 

They are touring Australia as a 4 piece - have I had my head in the sand? Pretty decent setlist last night albeit sound could have been a bit better. Wish they didn't cut the first minute off GMKM though, really like it. Reminded me of how Running Wild would cut Riding the Storm. No good.

Barbecuetioner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:05 am 

Why doesnt Derek Tailer play on some tours? This is the second time Overkill have been to Aus and both times were without Derek... i asked Dave at the meet & greet and he just said family but is there more to this? Kinda sucks that it doesn't even get mentioned

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:27 am 

I'm on my way to see them now in Sydney. Interesting that Derek isn't touring. He doesn't record any guitar on Overkill records either. It's like he's a touring guitarist that doesn't tour.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:40 am 

Barbecuetioner wrote:
Why doesnt Derek Tailer play on some tours? This is the second time Overkill have been to Aus and both times were without Derek... i asked Dave at the meet & greet and he just said family but is there more to this? Kinda sucks that it doesn't even get mentioned

Certainly more to it. Don't want to speculate, though. He was absent for "undisclosed reasons" sometime around Killbox 13 as well.

Last.fm

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:08 am 

Might be unable to get a visa to some countries.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:09 am 

Terri23 wrote:
I'm on my way to see them now in Sydney. Interesting that Derek isn't touring. He doesn't record any guitar on Overkill records either. It's like he's a touring guitarist that doesn't tour.

Let us know how the show was.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:55 am 

They were brilliant. Solid set. A couple of new tracks from the new album, and the rest was straight up Feel the Fire to Horrorscope classics. Bobby's voice was immense.

Talking to people after the show, the last time Overkill played here, 8 years ago, Derek was also absent.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Operation Pivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:09 am 

It was a great gig on Friday - my voice still hasn't properly come back yet.
Before their set, I asked my friends what their favourite Overkill album was. Shockingly, for a rabble of our vintage, I was the only one to say Horrorscope. But I was indeed rewarded with no less than 3 tracks from that album (I lost count after that).
Band sounded great, even with just the one guitar - Linsk is a frikken machine, if a little too nonchalant. Blitz was in fantastic frikken form.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:48 am 

Yeah we got three Horrorscope tracks, pity no Thanx for Nothin' though. But it was a pretty good setlist. I thought the sound was a bit off though, but that's a minor gripe.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:46 am 

We need more !BAND-X - Official thread!s

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:17 pm 

Rodman wrote:
We need more !BAND-X - Official thread!s

I'll take that request into consideration.

Last.fm

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:25 am 

It has to be a cool band that Diam approves.

Riffs wrote:

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:25 pm 

Terri23 wrote:

A !BLIND GUARDIAN - Official Thread! would be a great starting point.

To get things back on track, I always felt that Under the Influence got a bad wrap. The greatness of The Years of Decay feels exaggerated due to the unprecedented ownage of the opening 3 tracks. Looking at each album in their entirety, I don't feel that the overall quality of UTI is that different to TYOD.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:29 pm 

Both albums open with three of their best respective tunes, so yeah that is a rather striking similarity. Honestly, UTI just gets incoherent somewhere after "Brainfade." At least TYOD has "Evil Never Dies" and I'm quite partial to "Who Tends the Fire."

Last.fm

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:58 pm 

Rodman wrote:
Terri23 wrote:

To get things back on track, I always felt that Under the Influence got a bad wrap. The greatness of The Years of Decay feels exaggerated due to the unprecedented ownage of the opening 3 tracks. Looking at each album in their entirety, I don't feel that the overall quality of UTI is that different to TYOD.

Maybe, if they ever get out of their own "years of decay", though that is highly doubtful given the time which has elapsed since Nightfall was released.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:22 am 

Everflowingstream wrote:
Rodman wrote:

Maybe, if they ever get out of their own "years of decay", though that is highly doubtful given the time which has elapsed since Nightfall was released.

Difficult to argue, although everything up to and including Nightfall warrants ongoing discussion and debate. I'm also partial to their second live album, if only for the improved versions of a handful of A Night at the Opera tracks.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:23 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Both albums open with three of their best respective tunes, so yeah that is a rather striking similarity. Honestly, UTI just gets incoherent somewhere after "Brainfade." At least TYOD has "Evil Never Dies" and I'm quite partial to "Who Tends the Fire."

I enjoy "End of the Line" and "Head First". The latter, in particular, rates as one of my favourite tracks off the album.

To each their own, I suppose.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:58 am 

Everflowingstream wrote:

Quote:
Difficult to argue, although everything up to and including Nightfall warrants ongoing discussion and debate. I'm also partial to their second live album, if only for the improved versions of a handful of A Night at the Opera tracks.

Probably I was a bit harsh on ANATO - has a couple of songs I enjoy.

Better get back on topic though :)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:55 pm 

I just realized that the intro of "Deny the Cross" totally rips off that one riff in "Creeping Death." I'm surprised it took me this long to notice it (or maybe I always did subliminally).

Last.fm

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:41 am 

Diamhea wrote:
I just realized that the intro of "Deny the Cross" totally rips off that one riff in "Creeping Death." I'm surprised it took me this long to notice it (or maybe I always did subliminally).

I'll go ahead and be the ten millionth person to note the riff similarity between Elimination and Master of Puppets. Bring Me the Night also sounds like Metallica's version of The Prince.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:30 pm 

This is going to be badass: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/O ... sen/703104

Also hopefully they put out some shirts with that design of the Horrorscope cover art, because the original cover doesn't translate well to a shirt design.

Last.fm

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:04 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
This is going to be badass: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/O ... sen/703104

Also hopefully they put out some shirts with that design of the Horrorscope cover art, because the original cover doesn't translate well to a shirt design.

Did you catch Bobby Gustafson's little temper tantrum over this? :lol: The guy is so bitter and cynical, just a washed up has-been, in other words...a slightly less psychotic version of Eric Hoffman.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:26 pm 

Wow. The early albums are supposedly finally recouping, but they still owe a ton of money for The Years of Decay. No idea how the finances work regarding songwriting credits but I think the way Gustafson left sort of shafted him.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:36 am 

So Bobby's Satan's Taint project released something finally. It totally isn't what I would have expected from him - it's pretty epic.

Last.fm

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:35 pm 

Everflowingstream wrote:
Rodman wrote:

What a preposterous statement. At The Edge of Time is their Ironbound.

And course correcting....

Diamhea wrote:
Wow. The early albums are supposedly finally recouping, but they still owe a ton of money for The Years of Decay. No idea how the finances work regarding songwriting credits but I think the way Gustafson left sort of shafted him.

Wait Overkill owe money for Years of Decay? I've never heard this (then again I'm not up to snuff on my Overkill lore).
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:49 pm 

Quote:
At The Edge of Time is their Ironbound.

You must have gotten an alternate version of Ironbound with no speed or riffs.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:06 pm 

It fits... neither are good albums! Seriously, who the fuck wants Overkill to sound squeaky, squeaky clean?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:32 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
So Bobby's Satan's Taint project released something finally. It totally isn't what I would have expected from him - it's pretty epic.

link?

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:09 am 

New album. February 2019.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/overki ... uary-2019/

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:49 am 

hallowed78 wrote:

I feel like when Marvel announced they have 20 more movies planned out to 2028.

I'm just burned out on this band at the moment. The albums are inoffensive, but enough already. Let Grinding Wheel sit for a little while.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next