Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Grim Southron
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:45 am 

Luvers666 wrote:
That bridge sounded intense and raw live though. They played the title track both times I saw them on the Mercenaries of Metal tour...

Everything sounded intense and raw on that tour though. That Hollywood Florida gig you refer to is ridiculous in every (good) way possible. I posted a youtube video of it a few pages back.
It's still a shame no official releases of this tour have ever surfaced. Maybe you can shed some light on why, Luvers666?

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:11 pm 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/k-k-downing-is-shocked-and-stunned-he-wasnt-asked-to-rejoin-judas-priest/

Well, that answers that question.

I liked Firepower and Lightning Strikes, but this info is probably gonna make me pass on buying the album. That is no way to treat a founding member. Fuck you Jayne Andrews.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:28 pm 

I wonder if it ever even occurred to them to ask KK. I mean, he told them he was out, so if I was them I would assume that was it. Not to mention he seems pretty uninterested in music these days, having not recorded a single thing or played a show with anyone since then.

Besides, would anyone want to see present-day KK and young KK clone on the same stage, dressed the same and both playing flying Vs?

Last edited by Temple Of Blood on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:34 pm 

Yeah, he voluntarily left the band; not surprised that the band didn't ask him to come back - probably figured that was it for him and he wasn't too interested.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:57 pm 

Yeah seems a bit "why didn't thee ask me - I probably wouldna done it - but still woulda been nice, you know?"

He only just retired! It would be as a silly a U-turn as Rolf Kasparek did with Running Wild. You think he'd be in contact with them, anyway. All strange. But I don't think it reflects badly on the band.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:26 pm 

I mean yea I see the argument, but they still should have asked. Particularly since both guitarists are gone now.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:32 pm 

I think this kind of situation is a bit different and I'm shocked they didn't check with him unless they see a future for this version of Priest. He just retired but this is a unusual situation.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:34 pm 

It's pretty weird to think any randos like us sitting on a message board would know the inner workings of the band and their relationships enough to judge a situation like that.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:05 pm 

What else are we supposed to talk about on message forums?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:09 pm 

Anything you want, I guess. I just find it silly to be so "shocked" or act like the band was definitely in the wrong for this.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:51 pm 

Shocked is just an expression. I would have thought they would have went back to KK for one last run before putting Priest to bed. Apparently it wasn't even an option in favor of this lineup. I have no idea if its wrong but I know I have no desire to pay to see it.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:30 pm 

Inviting KK Downing back to the band would have been a nice gesture. They didn't have to commit - they could have rehearsed a few times with him and then made the call. But they should have at least TRIED.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:06 pm 

Who cares. This album will rule.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:18 pm 

KK comes off bizarrely in that statement. I still love him, he's a legend, but he voluntarily left. I would have loved to see him back with Priest, but he kind of closed that door himself.

Rob has fired back now. I always hate this sort of stuff being aired in public, no one comes off looking good.

But yeah, on the snippets that we've heard from Firepower, it sounds like Faulkner or Sneap handled the vast majority of the duties on this. There are Glenn solos, but the rhythm parts don't sound like him at all.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:46 pm 

I don't think KK was suggesting that Glenn didn't play at all... but rather that Sneap contributed more (as he often helps with arrangements). I am, however, going to suggest that Sneap actually plays all rhythm guitar tracks on the albums he records because they all sound exactly the same. :P

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:22 pm 

its sad to see a band, like a former champion fighter, not knowing when to quit.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:26 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
its sad to see a band, like a former champion fighter, not knowing when to quit.

So true.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:28 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

Even more sad to see backseat bandmembers (aka fans) who think they know what's best for a band of which they have zero involvement or information.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:44 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Who cares. This album will rule.

But the tour?

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:08 pm 

Let’s not bullshit ourselves and each other. A good number of those claiming they’re no longer interested in seeing them on this tour are still going if they can, anyway. Not speaking specifically to anyone here, but just in general.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:50 pm 

Eh, I'm happy with Priest continuing on. As long as Glenn is somehow involved with it, which he plans to be, I'm happy enough. There is nothing stopping him from writing music. He will find a way to put his ideas across, even if he can't play.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:17 pm 

Not being able to play will greatly inhibit Glenn's ability to write music.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:25 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:

Even more sad to see backseat bandmembers (aka fans) who think they know what's best for a band of which they have zero involvement or information.

Hey if you are down with Partial Priest and mediocre records rock on.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:34 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Let’s not bullshit ourselves and each other. A good number of those claiming they’re no longer interested in seeing them on this tour are still going if they can, anyway. Not speaking specifically to anyone here, but just in general.

If I do go, it will probably be the last time. I never was able to make it to the Epitaph tour.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:04 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

No kidding.

A practical question at this point: When does this band stop becoming "Judas Priest"?

When we reach where Queensryche is now?

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:05 pm 

Halford disputes KK's claim that Glen didn't play. http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/halfor ... -producer/

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:54 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:

No kidding.

A practical question at this point: When does this band stop becoming "Judas Priest"?

When we reach where Queensryche is now?

When Ian Hill leaves.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:36 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Not being able to play will greatly inhibit Glenn's ability to write music.

Of course it will. But there are always other ways he can put his ideas across.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:06 am 

Dandelo wrote:

So, does the same go for Halford? Maybe he can just tell Ripper Owens the lyrics and write out the sheet music and hand it to him so Judas Priest can go on for another 25 years.

Come on, it's over.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:12 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
When Ian Hill leaves.

Would anyone even notice?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:56 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
TrooperEd wrote:
When Ian Hill leaves.

They'll just hire another old rocker that looks kinda like him from a distance, dress him the same and hand him one of his basses. The 'ole KK/Ritchie switch.

Put Sean Peck on a diet and do the same with Halford in a few years.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:09 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Dandelo wrote:

So, does the same go for Halford? Maybe he can just tell Ripper Owens the lyrics and write out the sheet music and hand it to him so Judas Priest can go on for another 25 years.

Come on, it's over.

I'm not talking about Halford. I'm talking about a band member (he still is) who may be physically incapable of playing an instrument, finding other ways to bring his ideas across.

And Judas Priest are still around. It is far from over.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:14 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
I'm not talking about Halford. I'm talking about a band member (he still is) who may be physically incapable of playing an instrument, finding other ways to bring his ideas across.

Playing guitar (especially lead guitar for a legend like Glenn) isn't just about sending someone a soulless midi file of the notes you want them to play. The way he plays is his own, and that has clearly been affected by his disease. Also, writing guitar music is a lot about fumbling around on the instrument and piecing together the good bits. The fumbling part is crucial.

Quote:
It is far from over.

Hardly.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:42 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Twisted_Psychology wrote:
They'll just hire another old rocker that looks kinda like him from a distance, dress him the same and hand him one of his basses. The 'ole KK/Ritchie switch.
It is discrediting to Faulkner to claim he is a Downing clone. He has his own style and never 'replaced' K.K. as K.K. was not a part of Judas Priest at that point.

If they are going to replace Ian Hill, they should invent time travel and replace him with the 1974-1979 Ian Hill. The bassist when he was not afraid to be heard and running leads with the dual guitars like it was nothing, like was heard on Tyrant from Unleashed In the East or Run Of the Mill from Rocka Rolla or Call For the Priest from Sin After Sin.
Dandelo wrote:
I want to see Halford and Owens collaborate IN Priest. Maybe have a special appearance with Glenn, K.K. & Tim to do the masterful Cathedral Spires, have Glenn do his background vocals during the outro while Rob and Tim trade off those vocals belting out lyrics about ......... retirement?
Dandelo wrote:
He had been a producer and has consistently helped in that department already. Or maybe, just maybe, the guy wants to live his life after, what, 48 years of working the business. He IS 70 after all. I sure hope no one will be making physical demands of me - of a physically demanding job as well - when I am 70 and could hardly move.
Dandelo wrote:
And Judas Priest are still around. It is far from over.
No, it IS over man. Glenn in a big way has always been Judas Priest. Their main creative force and songwriter. Heavy Metal would not have taken its course as it did without Judas Priest and Judas Priest would not have even had a course without Glenn Tipton. It is over man.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:14 am 

Another song release: "Never the Heroes".

http://loudwire.com/judas-priest-never-the-heroes/

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:48 am 

An instant hit! :)

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:40 am 

Metal_Jaw wrote:

Lighting Strike was good, and Firepower was OK at tops, but THIS RULES!!! :hyper:

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:29 am 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
The song is actually pretty good. The chorus is not too great and the last two words, "At War!" sound A LOT like post 90's Ozzy. Anyone else catch that vibe?

Sounds like a mix of:
  1. 1981 Priest - after Point of Entry but before Screaming For Vengeance - Like Troubleshooter
  2. 1987 Priest - after Turbo but before Ram It Down - (Tougher Turbo production) Like Fire Burns Below
  3. 2004 Priest - from Angel of Retribution - (with gentler songwriting wings) Like Worth Fighting For
  4. 2018 Production.

It is interesting how most comments have been, "I thought this was going to be an all-out metal assault after the synth and drum intro." Like, WHAT? You must not understand Judas Priest. The ONLY album where Priest kept the same tempo up for, at least, most of it was Priestkiller. Priest are too eclectic to have every song feature the same formula. There are ALWAYS oddballs on a Priest album that differs from the rest, just too name one song from each:
  1. Epitaph
  2. Last Rose of Summer
  3. Heroes End
  4. Burning Up
  5. United
  6. You Say Yes
  7. Pain and Pleasure
  8. Night Comes Down
  9. Love Zone
  10. Cathedral Spires?
  11. Close To You
  12. Eulogy
  13. Lost Love
  14. Crossfire

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:00 pm 

Luvers666 wrote:
A LOT like post 90's Ozzy. Anyone else catch that vibe?

I actually catched a late 80s Ozzy vibe right away the moment I heard this song.
The whole song reminds a bit about "Breaking All The Rules", but in the end I think Never The Heroes is the better song, and of course we dont have to hear Zakk harmonics all the time.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:06 pm 

Luvers666 wrote:
It is over man.

...except that in a very real, literal sense of the word, it isn't. This is just something you're telling yourself.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next