Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:07 pm 

According to the band's official Facebook page, we've got ourselves a new Judas Priest album to look forward to shortly. The last one was pretty damn decent for a band who's been around so long, so here's to hoping this one's just as good, if not better.

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:16 pm 

Whoa, that came out of the blue. IMO, "Redeemer of Souls" had some nice tracks, but I think I still enjoyed "Jugulator" more than that album. I know, saying this could be seen as a cardinal sin, but I can't help it. Anyway, hopefully this album will kick ass and prove it's worthy of the name "Firepower".

And yeah, when I think about it, RoS was indeed decent enough for being the band's seventeenth album.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:38 pm 

Seems a bit odd these days just to put out a title and nothing else, no cover, tracklist...

I kinda like it though. Sort of generic, but after the extreme specificity of "Nostradamus" that's very welcome

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:57 pm 

I'm always glad about some new Priest. Looking forward to hearing a song.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:16 pm 

idunnosomename wrote:
Seems a bit odd these days just to put out a title and nothing else, no cover, tracklist...

I kinda like it though. Sort of generic, but after the extreme specificity of "Nostradamus" that's very welcome

Makes sense to me. You separate each piece of information so you can drip feed a steady stream of tidbits to the fans. Each post with a new fact about the album will get mentions on social media and start conversations, increasing word of mouth coverage, and also they will be reported by dedicated news sites. This way they can keep the conversation about them going in multiple news cycles rather than going one and done.

"Redeemer of Souls" seemed pretty generic to me, and hit all the traditional JP lyrical themes, so it's not as if they'd become a concept album band or anything. Firepower is a cool title but doesn't tell us anything about the music therein. To completely speculate with no evidence, I'll say that it's a throwback to their 80's sound and will have big, cheesy 80's synthesizers alongside the riffs. Why not?

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:18 pm 

I appreciate how Priest are in a position where they can call all of their shots, particularly when it comes to making an album, and yet seem to have been very receptive to whatever Sneap and Allom required of them and the songs to get the best performances possible. The final product remains to be seen and heard, but certain other bands of a similar stature would benefit from allowing themselves to be challenged in the studio again and by the right personnel, especially if “Firepower” winds up being a new milestone.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:27 pm 

When people say "well it was pretty good considering how old the band is..." aren't they really saying "yeah it was mediocre and if a new band put this out I'd be far less charitable"?

RoS was mediocre and bland. I have little hope for a better record with this one.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:39 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

RoS was mediocre and bland. I have little hope for a better record with this one.

Of course it was (and there isn't much hope for the new one); as someone said, "I wish Halford still sang about hardons rather than dragons". However, this still is one of the most musical bands, with a vocalist at near 70 with sharp and precise phrase whose intensity couldn't be matched by much younger opera singers; and with band that can play blues and funk as successfully. They're awesome live, with that seasoned ease yet uncompromising professionalism. They don't make them like that anymore in metal - let them make a little more toward retirement, milking those cliches and gracing the stage. I couldn't care less if Hallford screamed 'Valhalla' or 'transcendental existentialism', he's inhuman.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:48 pm 

I think the problem with Priest post-Halford reunion is that they tended to dwell too much in the past, unlike Iron Maiden who developed a new style. Yes, Iron Maiden's new style could be tedious and long-winded, but Angel of Retribution feels like a Greatest Hits with new songs to me. This song is British Steel, this is Painkiller, here's our Sad Wings tribute and so on.
Demonizer is like one of my favourite songs ever. If only they could have kept up to the level of that and Hellrider without guff like Revolution.

Redeemer of Souls is similar, but maybe more bland than all over the place in style. But again, songs like Sword of Damocles and Halls of Valhalla, very very good songs that knock imitators like Primal Fear (who I like) into a cocked hat.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:52 pm 

If Andy Sneap's involvement is anything like what he did for Accept, then I'll be quite content. The band has yet to top Angel of Retribution as far as reunion-era efforts go.

MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:56 pm 

I would like an album that is more original and has a more unique sound all together. The past two out of three albums have basically been a compilation of everything we know about Judas Priest. I wouldn't mind something more progressive in one end... in another maybe the album should be shorter, simpler and more punk driven. The problem is that whenever Priest experiments, Judas Priest fans just rage out and say that it is not a true Priest album.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:02 pm 

No prog! Maiden already thinks they are Yes and that has messed up enough of their reunion album. Personally I'd be fine with another AoRl. Yes its just Priest trying to be Priest but they did a good job on that one. It had energy. RoS was just flaccid.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:13 pm 

I've never been a fan of "prog-metal", but still tempted to hear a collaboration with Ihsahn, a desire Halford has expressed more than once. (And that should be more neoclassical than prog.)

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:47 pm 

I listened to "Redeemer of Souls" for the first time since 2014 a few days ago...my opinion is that it begins with 4 solid tracks and from that point forward, every other song is solid until the album's over :lol:. It even carries on to the bonus disc which has the incredible "Tears of Blood" (better than anything on the main disc) and the amazing "Bring It On" which are both sandwiched between some lackluster & boring bullshit (the ballad has this hilarious line: "This is not goodbye, this is farewell" :lol:). I'm impressed they were able to come up with 10 great songs but it's just a shame that there are 8 boring/terrible songs thrown into the mix as well. I also want to comment that I'm actually really impressed by Ritchie Faulkner's playing, not sure what he contributed musically (can't remember if there are any individual songwriting credits in the booklet) but his solos are very emotional and melodic, just how I like it!

I guess with that, I'm excited and optimistic about "Firepower" but hope they'll be more modest and put together something a bit more concise and to-the-point. I can stand a 60 minute Iron Maiden album but Priest should be more in the 40 minute range.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:53 pm 

true_death wrote:
I can stand a 60 minute Iron Maiden album but Priest should be more in the 40 minute range.

60 minutes of galloping, isn't it a bit much?
I was going to be drastic and say the last good Maiden was Killers, but let's say Seventh Son.
Maiden began as Priest support and that's how it should have remained, but nothing in this world is fair...

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:50 pm 

_flow wrote:
true_death wrote:
I can stand a 60 minute Iron Maiden album but Priest should be more in the 40 minute range.

60 minutes of galloping, isn't it a bit much?
I was going to be drastic and say the last good Maiden was Killers, but let's say Seventh Son.
Maiden began as Priest support and that's how it should have remained, but nothing in this world is fair...

What I was saying is that they tend to have more intricate, involved songwriting (influence from 70's prog rock & modern bands like Dream Theater) and thus more tools to work with in the context of a long album. I'm not a huge Maiden fan either (I like the band but don't have an emotional/nostalgic connection to them like many do - to me they're just another band), but compare an album like "The Book of Souls" to Judas Priest's attempt at an "epic" double album in "Nostradamus". I think it's obvious who's better at what.

And since when was Maiden associated with "60 minutes of galloping" :???:

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:01 pm 

It was obviously a joke to do with the bass style that overrides their music.

I find the whole 70's prog rock in metal quite tiresome - no idea why I should listen to it, when there's 70s prog- and jazz-rock itself. I could listen to Kansas and Mahavishnu among others for a decade, without needing to resort to quotations of 70s bands in metal. I understand if that is some people's idea of metal, or/and dissonance and atonality for example, but it isn't mine.

Haven't listened to The Book of Souls; went to a Maiden gig a few years ago, and the only song I enjoyed, was Wasted Years.
Nostradamus on the other hand I do like, and the one song Priest still perform off that album, is a highlight to me.
Then again, I like doom.

40 minutes of Priest, anyway, sounds a bit disparaging.

Btw I used to have a huge sentiment for Maiden (basically gew up listening to them, and know all the lyrics 80-88 to this day), but sentimentality and nostalgia feeding isn't my thing.
Imagine if all metal musicians and fans did let go of the past...

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:04 pm 

The JP vs IM bs will never end :lol:. I hope the new album is at least decent. Their '00 era albums are quite meh. There are some good songs scattered throughout but i think their age has finally caught up with them.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:15 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
When people say "well it was pretty good considering how old the band is..." aren't they really saying "yeah it was mediocre and if a new band put this out I'd be far less charitable"?

Couldn't agree more. Did KK make all the difference?

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:25 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

It has its sense becuase JP showed of what they were capable. Young bands need to stand out among other bands. Those guys are on their 60s, you can´t ask for masterpieces.

In my opinion "Redeemer of Souls" was an enjoyable album with some quite good tracks and a nice rock vibe. If they can top this one and improve it a Little bit I would be happy.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:55 am 

Many musicians did their masterpieces well after 60, alas not in the metal genre.
I think it's astonishing Priest is still going strong. Age caught up with them? I hardly think it's exhaustion, more the pressure to produce certain formulaic music that probably doesn't fit with the guys' age. Tipton is already 70 (well, tomorrow :)).
Again, Halford does unbelievably well. I've recently noticed many guys in the extreme metal scene losing their voices still in their 40s.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:08 am 

I feel like Priest would do well to incorporate a bit of the blues and soulful rock stuff they used to do in the 70s. I don't think everything they do has to be hard-edged metal all the time anymore.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:09 am 

^ Amen to that!

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:24 am 

Quote:
I feel like Priest would do well to incorporate a bit of the blues and soulful rock stuff they used to do in the 70s. I don't think everything they do has to be hard-edged metal all the time anymore.

I agree.

Painkiller was a great album, but it's also heavily one dimensional. Bands like Primal Fear and Iron Savior have done everything you can possibly do with that formula - I don't really want to hear another Painkiller from JP at this point.

There are many other facets to their sound that they could explore. Blues, progressive rock. Even cartoonish arena rock like "Rock Hard, Ride Free" might be refreshing.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:35 am 

It's delightful to read these comments.
I enjoy the "bluesiness" of Tipton, so different from regular heavy metal guitar (which does nothing for me).
And some autistic "metal elitist" was asserting that JP was "metal cheese" - how dare they have sexual lyrics, morever "arena rock". The dude claimed "Living after midnight" was the lowest point in metal. (Which only made me hum: "li-vin- af-ter-mid-night"...)
There's a "larger than life" (I suppose "cartoonish") aspect to rock music in general - it's blues on speed, like metal is rock on speed. JP just need to slow down. (Let it be, still my anger / Bring me peace from my temper...)

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:51 am 

I also agree with Empyreal. I think that inkling to go for a more bluesy sound was already present on Redeemer. Not overtly, but it was there on some songs, especially the slower ones.

Personally, I am psyched. I get a strong sense of honesty and a very strong feel-good vibe from Priest these days.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:28 am 

TheWaltzer wrote:
I also agree with Empyreal. I think that inkling to go for a more bluesy sound was already present on Redeemer. Not overtly, but it was there on some songs, especially the slower ones.

Personally, I am psyched. I get a strong sense of honesty and a very strong feel-good vibe from Priest these days.

Yes, I felt the same on that album. I also feel that it was quite honest. Those powerful days to make albums like Painkiller are long gone, I think it sounds more coherent to make more classic albums like Redeemer.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:18 pm 

I hope it sounds like Turbo or Point of Entry. Would be great to hear some hard rock from a band that actually rocks hard.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:25 pm 

^ Good Goooood!

Someone should link this thread to the band.
On the last UK tour, there were far too many people in their 40s to 70s that would love such turn of events.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:26 pm 

Just like most all new albums from veteran acts, this album will be quickly forgotten.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:28 pm 

Define veteran acts, I already forgot the new Enslaved, Samael and Satyricon.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:01 pm 

A band whose masterpiece came out before y2k.

MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:34 pm 

I really think the band should take the progressive aspects of Nostradamus and combine that with the aggression of Painkiller and the scope of Sad Wings. Honestly... I just want this album to be interesting. We have had one too many throwback albums at this point. Nostradamus is the best of the reunion albums for its progressive, complex and experimental direction. The band should be taking what worked on that album, combine that with elements of the S Trilogy and the aggression of Painkiller and boom you got a masterpiece. No more having to make greatest hits albums from now on.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:42 pm 

Interesting that the band are still going really. I reckoned they were not long off retirement, but I think Faulkner joining them gave the group a big shot of new energy. I doubt they will top AoR though, which remains their best post Painkiller album.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:13 pm 

MetallicaTrueFan wrote:
I really think the band should take the progressive aspects of Nostradamus and combine that with the aggression of Painkiller and the scope of Sad Wings. Honestly... I just want this album to be interesting. We have had one too many throwback albums at this point. Nostradamus is the best of the reunion albums for its progressive, complex and experimental direction. The band should be taking what worked on that album, combine that with elements of the S Trilogy and the aggression of Painkiller and boom you got a masterpiece. No more having to make greatest hits albums from now on.

Dunno about any of those specific suggestions, but definitely agreed that Judas Priest need to stop being a Judas Priest clone. Not everyone is cut out to be a Lemmy and never change a damn thing about what they do and keep on rockin' to the maximum degree. JP have tried and tried again but each effort is just a less intense version of the previous effort. Looking back at their 70's, 80's, and 90's album one thing that jumps out in common is that they were constantly trying new things. Every new album could bring almost any kind of change. Would it be lighter? Heavier? More rock oriented? More speed metal? They even introduced elements of extreme metal on "Painkiller" and the Ripper albums. Judas Priest were dynamic and unpredictable. Unless they make an about face with this album, they are now a very predictable band. A lot of old guys find new excitement going back to the kinds of things that pumped them up as youngins, so going the prog direction for the songwriting and themes probably would do them some good (though they would definitely need to refine the haphazard, ham handed effort they made on Nostradamus).

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:47 am 

First they headline Bloodstock, now this - looks like 2018 is going to be a good year for Priest fans. Not listened to the track yet but it seems like they're doing a lot of promotion, which is strange given their age. Sabbath had basically given up at this point. Certainly looking forward to this one.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:33 am 

Don't know how excited I am about a new album from these guys but I am stoked to catch them live. Firepower will probably be nothing less than classic, but my interest in JP is generally limited to Sad Wings of Destiny and Unleashed in the East.

Last edited by ~Guest 417309 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:03 am 

MRmehman wrote:
which is strange given their age.

Stop with all the ageism, people. Blues musicians tour until they practically die onstage, and I don't see why JP shouldn't go on, especially given how vigorous they still are. It's understood they'll probably retire after this, so enjoy while it lasts.

Happy birthday Glenn Tipton!!!

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:52 am 

It is socially acceptable for blues musicians to sit while they play. Have you ever seen old blues musicians playing live? I have. Buddy Guy is the only one who you could charitably describe as "spry". They aren't headbanging. Would you enjoy seeing a metal show where the band was in rocking chairs the whole time? Metal is more physically demanding, and if those demands can't be met it brings a level of disappointment. Harsh but true.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:03 am 

It was probably as demanding for 90 year old BB or 96 y.o. Honeyboy Edwards to play live anyhow, as it is for not even 70 yet (for the most part) JP to play intensely.
Buddy Guy is an 81-year young fury.
I already expressed astonishment in this thread at the ability of Halford to do what he does; and we also agreed it might be good for Priest to go more bluesy in the future.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next