Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
metljoe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 pm 

Hope I'm not too hasty in starting this thread, but I need everyone to know that Panphage's Jord album is amazing and you should be checking it out. Also I referenced the 2017 thread extensively for finding good new releases, and I want people to post their recommendations for this year so I'm taking the leap and starting this thread now.

https://panphage.bandcamp.com/album/jord

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:06 pm 

Summoning of course.

I'll have more to say later because there are several things I am mega-anticipating for this year. It's looking already like this will be a stronger metal year than last.

metljoe wrote:
Hope I'm not too hasty in starting this thread, but I need everyone to know that Panphage's Jord album is amazing and you should be checking it out.

What ways in particular do you feel this album is amazing?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:58 pm 

I really liked Corrosion of Conformity's No Cross No Crown after one listen.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:39 am 

So far the two records from this year I have enjoyed have been White Wizzard's Infernal Overdrive and Bloodshot Dawn's Reanimation. The former sounds as good as anything they've released and I'll need more listens on the latter, but so far I'm thinking it will be on par with Demons.

GanoesParan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:41 am 

ObservationSlave wrote:
So far the two records from this year I have enjoyed have been White Wizzard's Infernal Overdrive and Bloodshot Dawn's Reanimation. The former sounds as good as anything they've released and I'll need more listens on the latter, but so far I'm thinking it will be on par with Demons.

I'm really glad to hear that about Bloodshot Dawn. Became a huge fan of them a month or two ago and need to check out Reanimation.

I'll second Summoning, it's another stellar release for them.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:53 am 

metljoe wrote:
Hope I'm not too hasty in starting this thread, but I need everyone to know that Panphage's Jord album is amazing and you should be checking it out. Also I referenced the 2017 thread extensively for finding good new releases, and I want people to post their recommendations for this year so I'm taking the leap and starting this thread now.

I said the same thing abnout Jord here https://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48307&start=84560 so yeah I completely agree with you :beer:

So early in the year but I have a feeling Jord is going to stick around for a long time.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:31 am 

Was waiting for this thread. I need to pounce on 2018 stuff, I've only listened to Hooded Menace and Summoning thus far...

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:20 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

I second this opinion after 2 listens. C.O.C. on autopilot is still pretty damn good music. Some super solid songs on this one, and that Queen cover... I never realized how much of a stoner rock song "Son and Daughter" actually is. Great one.

So far, I really liked Shining - X - Varg Utan Flock (although I didn't follow the band before, so I can't tell how it compares to the older material), it's very creative in approach, I like this kind of black metal. So far, however, Sinistro - Sangue Cassia is the best album I've heard this year. Great production, memorable songwriting and an overall softer take on doom metal with great female vocals.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:36 am 

The new Orphaned Land is really great.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:13 am 

Weedpecker - III

Pretty great psychedelic stoner rock/metal from Poland.

metljoe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:09 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
metljoe wrote:
Hope I'm not too hasty in starting this thread, but I need everyone to know that Panphage's Jord album is amazing and you should be checking it out.

What ways in particular do you feel this album is amazing?

Mostly the riffs and the atmosphere. The autothrall review says that it "truly feels like you're experiencing it outdoors where only the sky can contain its magnificence" and really I couldn't say it better myself. It sounds both grand and primal at the same time. Perfect for this especially cold and snowy weather we've been having in NA lately.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:49 am 

The new Watain is awesome.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:48 am 

New Watain is indeed pretty sweet, although I have to say I think it loses some steam near the end. New Summoning was great, new Shining was ok, Hooded Menace is sounding pretty tasty after one listen.

Disappointed so far: Abigor's latest is pretty weak, Audrey Horne went from fun and catchy to kitschy and lame.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:39 pm 

I'm just waiting for my anticipated releases to come out. The only thing I've heard from 2018 so far is the new Orphaned Land, and it's okay. It's certainly no Mabool or ORwarriOR, but it works.

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:21 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:02 pm 

This has been a pretty decent start to the year. Echoing the sentiments about the new Bloodshot Dawn album, I'm really enjoying this, possibly more than anything else they've released. It sounds like a heavier, less technical version of Revocation mixed with Omnium Gatherum-style melodeath.

Likewise enjoyed the new Watain as well. Hooded Menace sounds pretty cool too from what I've heard.

Anyone who likes atmospheric black metal should also check Bloodbark. Their debut Bonebranches, which just came out two weeks ago, reminds me a lot of Unreqvited or Sorrow Plagues, or like a more melodic version of Woods of Desolation. I really love this trend of bands taking atmospheric/post black metal in a more melodic and riffy direction, especially after years of what seemed like bands of this sort placing a wispy atmosphere over interesting compositions. Harakiri for the Sky are another band who do this well, and they coincidentally also have a new album coming out next month which has at least one pre-release track that's been making me giddy.

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:54 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:11 am 

checked out a new track by that bloodshot dawn at random from youtube based on people mentioning them on this thread a bunch of times and musically they seem to be the sort of rather generic bodom's offspring (granted with some quite nice ideas) that i don't really care much for these days (i used to be more of a melodeath fan like 10+ years ago) and ordinarily wouldn't bother commenting on, but good grief those are the worst vocals i've heard in a long while :ugh:

Metalisepic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:55 am 

Last edited by Metalisepic on Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:04 am 

Feasting on Darkness - Souls of Chaos

An instrumental riff-packed death metal chugfest.

ShreddedHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:10 am 

For me the album of the year so far is Chemicaust - Unleashed Upon This World. Really good thrash/death similar to Sepultura, Sadus and Demolition Hammer:

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:02 pm 

ambientsorrow wrote:
Couldn't wait on Harakiri for the Sky, it's much better than their previous album. Almost their best I'd say after one listen. Definitely want to go back to it.

Holy shit, this is exciting to hear. I absolutely adored their previous album.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 pm 

ShreddedHuman wrote:
For me the album of the year so far is Chemicaust - Unleashed Upon This World. Really good thrash/death similar to Sepultura, Sadus and Demolition Hammer:

This is some good shit

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:33 pm 

praey wrote:
This has been a pretty decent start to the year. Echoing the sentiments about the new Bloodshot Dawn album, I'm really enjoying this, possibly more than anything else they've released. It sounds like a heavier, less technical version of Revocation mixed with Omnium Gatherum-style melodeath.

Likewise enjoyed the new Watain as well. Hooded Menace sounds pretty cool too from what I've heard.

Anyone who likes atmospheric black metal should also check Bloodbark. Their debut Bonebranches, which just came out two weeks ago, reminds me a lot of Unreqvited or Sorrow Plagues, or like a more melodic version of Woods of Desolation. I really love this trend of bands taking atmospheric/post black metal in a more melodic and riffy direction, especially after years of what seemed like bands of this sort placing a wispy atmosphere over interesting compositions. Harakiri for the Sky are another band who do this well, and they coincidentally also have a new album coming out next month which has at least one pre-release track that's been making me giddy.

Good call on Bloodbark. I checked it out today and thought it was very good. The new Bloodshot Dawn is pretty good. The vocals are different on it but they're growing on me.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:54 am 

Sabhankra - From the Frozen Mountains

I'll drop this here, because while it has its flaws, this is among the more worthwhile stuff I've heard so far. Just finished my initial spin. Interesting and ambitious album, and a good attempt to bridge an epic, blackened atmosphere with consistently thrashy riffs and plenty of melody. It reminded me a bit of old Ensiferum and a more melodic Melechesh. Slightly shoddy production and very raspy vocals, but I liked it.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Cianan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:09 am 

I'm pretty shocked with the quality of releases that have come out (or that have leaked) so far.

I love the new Druid Lord and Hooded Menace records. These two just fucking kill it.

I agree with Harakiri for the Sky, it is an absolutely fantastic release. It's my favorite of theirs for sure.

The new Genocide Pact is really good death metal too. Nothing really flashy but if you're in the mood for good ol fashioned dm, give it a spin.

Afgrund's The Dystopian is an energetic deathgrind record that is a blast from start to finish.

The new Dalriada and Heidevolk are great. I enjoy Heidevolk's new album a bit more (at the moment) but man they've both got some killer tracks. Heidevolk with Wolf in My Heart, Tiwaz and Drink op de Nacht. Dalriada with Hollórege and Thury György Balladája 2. rész.

Battle Tales album The Ire of the Condemned is really good/cheesy fun folk metal as well. Keyboard laden instead of traditional instruments, but it's worth a spin as well.

The new Watain and Abigor really let me down. They're not bad albums but certainly underwhelming, Abigor's being the biggest culprit.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:12 am 

metljoe wrote:

Yes. I like the entire discography so far.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:39 am 

theagentcoma wrote:
ShreddedHuman wrote:

This is some good shit

Yeah, seconded. This is really good.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:29 am 

Debut album by Wolfooth just released today. It's a pretty excellent listen if you're into more upbeat doom metal. It's like The Sword but a lot less twerpy.

https://wolftooth.bandcamp.com/releases

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:54 pm 

Cianan wrote:
I'm pretty shocked with the quality of releases that have come out (or that have leaked) so far.

I love the new Druid Lord and Hooded Menace records. These two just fucking kill it.

I agree with Harakiri for the Sky, it is an absolutely fantastic release. It's my favorite of theirs for sure.

The new Genocide Pact is really good death metal too. Nothing really flashy but if you're in the mood for good ol fashioned dm, give it a spin.

Afgrund's The Dystopian is an energetic deathgrind record that is a blast from start to finish.

The new Dalriada and Heidevolk are great. I enjoy Heidevolk's new album a bit more (at the moment) but man they've both got some killer tracks. Heidevolk with Wolf in My Heart, Tiwaz and Drink op de Nacht. Dalriada with Hollórege and Thury György Balladája 2. rész.

Battle Tales album The Ire of the Condemned is really good/cheesy fun folk metal as well. Keyboard laden instead of traditional instruments, but it's worth a spin as well.

The new Watain and Abigor really let me down. They're not bad albums but certainly underwhelming, Abigor's being the biggest culprit.

I liked the new Battle Tales as well, but I don't think I would agree that there's not much in the way of traditional instruments, as there is a pretty healthy dose of whistles. But yeah, there are a lot of keyboards, and I think they add a lot to the music. Good stuff.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:00 pm 

I'll also plug the Panphage album....wonderful, fantastic music.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:16 pm 

Yeah so the new Harakiri for The Sky is indeed quite good, although not as good as Trauma, in my opinion. Also, the album could do with a little diversity, as it's a bit much at that length, but Trauma had the same issue.

And Visigoth?! Yes. Extremely my shit.

newoldstock
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:47 pm 

I have to disagree on the new Abigor. It doesn't quite stand up to Leytmotif Luzifer, or the recent split, but it's in the ballpark. The vocal performance, in particular, was fantastic.

As for Watain, I wasn't impressed with Trident Wolf Eclipse. It just feels like Sworn v4.0. I like the last 4 just fine, but none come close to Casus Luciferi.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:53 pm 

Summoning - goes without saying

Panphage - a more than worthy exit, I hope Fjallbrant goes on to other projects as he is a killer talent

HFTS - wasn't expecting such a strong album here but its very good. Their best since the debut. Most bands in the "post-black" mode are terrible but I can't help but like this duo.

Bloodbark - awesome debut and hopefully just the beginning.. recalls some of the great epic and atmospheric works of recent years - a really terrific album

Cianan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:00 pm 

Cianan wrote:

I liked the new Battle Tales as well, but I don't think I would agree that there's not much in the way of traditional instruments, as there is a pretty healthy dose of whistles. But yeah, there are a lot of keyboards, and I think they add a lot to the music. Good stuff.

Ah, my mistake! I just remember all the keyboards and their awesomeness. :beer:

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:02 pm 

Me too. I wasn't expecting a lot after seeing one of the videos but I was very pleasantly surprised.

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:55 pm 

Verheerer - Maltrér

These guys are new to me, but this is some awesome German black metal.

https://verheerer1.bandcamp.com/album/maltr-r

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:37 pm 

Seconding that Weedpecker album. Fun spacey stuff to listened to stoned to the gills. I don't know why, but even as a big fan of CoC that new album just does not quite do it for me. Not bad, just nothing too memorable. More spins needed perhaps.

zera_p
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:31 am 

New Usurpress album is fucking amazing.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:53 am 

Arkona - Khram

Blackened pagan metal (or so I read on the webz) from Russia.
I really like the music but the voice of the singer beacomes a little monotone after a few songs. But nevertheless, good stuff!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next