Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:44 pm 

zen3001 wrote:
I'm living in a cave, help me out here please, what's the most popular death metal everyone is listening to right now?

Necros Christos - Domedon doxomedon is the best 2018 death metal imo.

Not sure if they qualify as "popular" but you should check Mylingar, Chaos Echoes, Burial Invocation, Sepulcher, Tomb Mold and Taphos. All of them released great death metal albums in 2018.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:39 pm 

Anyone else hearing the debut from Acolytes of Moros and feeling disappointed? I mean, they basically wrote two uneventful songs and added another two from a three year old demo tape, while slapping an interlude based on a riff from one of those songs in the middle of the disc. So for a debut album they went all out with two new songs! Hilarious...

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:42 pm 

More popular (and good) 2018 death metal for the guy asking about it:

Horrendous - Idol is streaming on YouTube and is coming out officially tomorrow, it's very solid from what I've heard.
Necros Christos - Domedon Doxomedon; agreeing that this is a killer album, even though it's like 3 hours long.
Portal - Ion was very good based on my first impression.
Slugdge - Esoteric Malacology was solid if you're into what they do -- i.e. fairly melodic/technical death metal. I think they're great but haven't listened to this album a ton yet.

Some other albums I've heard lots of positive rumblings about this year but haven't really checked out: Extremity, Hooded Menace, Mortuous.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:21 pm 

As much as I dig a bunch of those labels and bands narsilianshard and others mentioned, the avenues are endless these days and at times, peculiar and unexpected.

For example, one of my favorite EPs is from a new band called Mortal Wound. Here's the thing: their "label" for lack of a better word is Maggot Stomp, an enamel pin company whose made some interesting pieces for those into that kind of thing. https://maggotstomp.bandcamp.com/album/ ... oning-fear

Another favorite EP is by Throne, an independent from Michigan. https://thronemetal.bandcamp.com/releases

Regarding definitively most popular, I don't know what concrete recs I can give other than what's obviously out there getting the most promotion and visibility which honestly isn't too tough to find these days. Many of the old guard will always get attention. Skeletal Remains is gonna show up on a lot of best-ofs for the year and deservedly so, I can probably offer that as a safe starting point.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

drunkenmaster35
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:36 pm 

So far my favorite releases of the year have been from Inferi, Alterbeast, Slugdge,and Micawber

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:31 pm 

Skeletal Remains album was pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of DM but this album ticks a few boxes. Vocals are a bit boring but there are some awesome riffs in there.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:12 am 

The new Witch Ripper debut Homestead is excellent IMO. https://witchripper.bandcamp.com. They're a stoner/doom/sludge metal band. They lean more towards sludge than the other two genres mentioned. Real heavy with excellent vocals IMO.

Edmund Sackbauer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:50 am 

For safe bets when it Comes to Death Metal 2018 I would say:

Skeletal Remains, Down Among The Dead Men, LIK, Demonical and the new Monstrosity.

Today the new Nyktophobia has been released which is more Melodic DM but not the cheesy kind of stuff. The vocals are done by the Dawn of Disease singer.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:47 am 

Edmund Sackbauer wrote:
For safe bets when it Comes to Death Metal 2018 I would say:

Skeletal Remains, Down Among The Dead Men, LIK, Demonical and the new Monstrosity.

Today the new Nyktophobia has been released which is more Melodic DM but not the cheesy kind of stuff. The vocals are done by the Dawn of Disease singer.

i would add the following: Depravity, Ripped to Shreds, Abythic, Drawn and Quartered

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:57 am 

There's been so much great death metal this year it's difficult to even come up with a top 20 list IMO. All from different labels, different regions of the world, some unsigned and independent, some of them old and some new... I couldn't stick with just looking at 2 or 3 different labels because damn there is a lot of good shit coming out. Aborted's new album Terrorvision is super badass too and I haven't seen a lot of people talking about that one.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:28 pm 

No love for the new Torture Rack album "Malefic Humiliation"? One of my favorite death metal releases this year, really sick, bludgeoning death metal, reminds me of Autopsy fused with Barnes-era Cannibal Corpse. Ghastly's new album "Death Velour" is also fantastic, very Autopsy-esque but with a weirder and more esoteric atmosphere.

Aside from that, the new Skeletal Remains is definitely AOTY for me, what a fucking masterpiece that is - all the people praising it are right on the money. As for older bands, Krisiun, Monstrosity, The Crown, and Deicide all put out fantastic albums. Still stoked for the new Unleashed and Bloodbath, and curious what Cancer's going to pull out on their upcoming new one. 2018 is definitely a great year for death metal!

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:29 pm 

rexxz wrote:
I don't pay much attention to that stuff though, instead focusing on lesser known releases that are almost always way more interesting.

rexxz wrote:
Aborted's new album Terrorvision is super badass too

You posted four times in the last day saying you only listen to underground, lesser-known death metal, and how incredible the selection this year is. Then when you finally mention a single recommendation you list fucking Aborted. :lol:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:41 pm 

Actually I didn't post four times in the last day about any of that (?) and the post you quoted from me was saying I don't pay much attention to it, not that I "only" listen to X or Y. What does me mentioning Aborted have to do with the quality of the release? It's a badass album that I recommended because I haven't seen anyone talking about it at all. If this was your attempt at a "gotcha!" moment like you have something to prove against me, it was pretty terrible. :lol:

And yeah, this year's selection is very incredible and goes far beyond just a few labels.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:50 pm 

New Dynasty is good. Less metal than the previous one, a bit more AOR type stuff with more focus on the vocals. But it's still bombastic as hell and has a bunch of great songs. The singer especially is really finding a groove and the songs seem to be a bit more calculated and varied this time. It's very mid-2000s Edguy but with more of an epic vibe as opposed to the goofy one they could have back then.

Edmund Sackbauer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:34 pm 

Do you mean Dynazty? I only know the video tracks so far but they are a bit disappointing after the last 2 albums.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:39 pm 

Death metal is strong this year for sure but if you're looking for something that totally shreds but gets a little less coverage than the hotter names, then y'all motherfuckers need Wombripper.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:47 pm 

For the new Cultes Des Ghoules album, I was hooked by the first song, and then it got even better from there! Really murderous, dark occult metal.

Yeah Womripper's new album is a good one. The last song is really really catchy.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:14 am 

Finally got Deicide's new one. I like it!
Burial Invocation is hard to take off the player. It just speaks my language.
Pretty impressed with Irreversible Mechanism, Slugdge, Augury, Immortal, Lucis Absentia, Nigredo, Sadistik Forest, Depravity, Skeletal Remains, Vomitor, Aetherian and Genocide Pact.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:38 pm 

Obscura, Alkaloid, Aborted, Cemetery Urn, Dark Elite, Khanus, SLUGDGE and SKELETAL REMAINS especially! All great death or death/black.

Last edited by Pitiless Wanderer on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:14 pm 

I'm really digging Chapel of Abhorrence from Carnation. Swedish death metal with some early 90s American brutality.

And thanks to bastardhead I'm checking out Wombripper. These guys are siiick

untappd: patrick_g

zen3001
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:24 am 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
I'm really digging Chapel of Abhorrence from Carnation. Swedish death metal with some early 90s American brutality.

And thanks to bastardhead I'm checking out Wombripper. These guys are siiick

yeah, they're pretty cool and love the music video they made

MayanWarrior86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:47 am 

My top picks for this year so far are:

Oxygen Destroyer - Bestial Manifestations of Malevolence
Visigoth - Conqueror's Oath
Ironflame - Tales of Splendor and Sorrow
Black Viper - Hellions of Fire
Vomitor - Pestilent Death

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:49 am 

true_death wrote:
No love for the new Torture Rack album "Malefic Humiliation"? One of my favorite death metal releases this year, really sick, bludgeoning death metal, reminds me of Autopsy fused with Barnes-era Cannibal Corpse.

Great album. Also a favorite of mine. 20 Buck Spin has been releasing some really cool stuff this year. The latest albums from Torture Rack, Tomb Mold, Extremity, and Scorched are all killer.

I'm also really digging the new Skeletal Remains, along with the debut albums from Genocide Pact and Mortuous. Definitely a good year for DM.

Last edited by brain hammer on Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:32 pm 

The new Binah is a beast, especially that 12 minute track. Some more:
Eriphion - Doxologia Black Metal from Greece, unlike Varathron/RC, sounds more Eastern European
Solar Temple - Fertile Descent AtmoBlack, just two long tracks
Encefalo - Deathrone Brazilian Death, for those disappointed over the new Krisiun album

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:46 pm 

This was posted in the Anticipated Albums thread but the second album by Ironflame was just released this past Saturday. It's pretty great stuff right in line with their 2017 debut.

https://ironflame-music.bandcamp.com/al ... and-sorrow

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:20 pm 

The new Ironflame is just as bad ass as the debut. Andrew D'Cagna is an amazing vocalist. He recently joined Pittsburgh's Icarus Witch. I met Andrew at the Argus release party which Ironflame played last December. Great guy and amazing stage presence.

Like your reviews?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:32 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
The new Ironflame is just as bad ass as the debut. Andrew D'Cagna is an amazing vocalist. He recently joined Pittsburgh's Icarus Witch. I met Andrew at the Argus release party which Ironflame played last December. Great guy and amazing stage presence.

Lavaborne was supposed to open for Ironflame this weekend and it bums me the hell out that the show got canceled, especially since he was bringing a copy of the new Brimstone Coven album with him. I'm anxious to see how the new Icarus Witch will turn out.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:36 pm 

I didn't like the last Icarus Witch album at all really. Hope they bring back some of the old mysticism and groove this time around.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:49 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I didn't like the last Icarus Witch album at all really. Hope they bring back some of the old mysticism and groove this time around.

You need to check out Habitual Sins....Matthew Bazilia's new band. That will be more in that style. The new IW songs are sounding like melodic metal with a hint of prog.

Like your reviews?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:09 pm 

This album was brought up already, but I'll back it up. The new Scorched album rips. :np:

https://listen.20buckspin.com/album/ecliptic-butchery

SleepingStar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:07 pm 

New album from A Forest of Stars - currently digesting it...

https://a-forest-of-stars.bandcamp.com/ ... e-mistakes

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:04 pm 

Is there any new death metal this year that isn't "doing what was already done before"? Not looking for weird modern death metal neither typical OSDM worship, something more likely in the middle I guess. If such a thing exists or is being made. :D

By the way, that Sagor Som Leder Mot Slutet (fucking unpronounceable name!) album is very cool!

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:07 pm 

androdion wrote:
Is there any new death metal this year that isn't "doing what was already done before"? Not looking for weird modern death metal neither typical OSDM worship, something more likely in the middle I guess. If such a thing exists or is being made. :D

By the way, that Sagor Som Leder Mot Slutet (fucking unpronounceable name!) album is very cool!

Have you heard the new Grethor? It's like half Blood Incantation, half classic-style death metal.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:08 pm 

androdion wrote:

I got an album coming out in December that's exactly what you're looking for ;)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:22 pm 

rexxz wrote:
androdion wrote:

I got an album coming out in December that's exactly what you're looking for ;)

If you're talking about the new Zealotry, yeah I'm game. Anything for the next two months though?

Grethor, this one? Thanks, I'll check it out.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:30 pm 

No, Zealotry isn't my band but they rule. I'm talking about my own stuff.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:11 pm 

Oh you're Cory and not Phil, sorry for the mix-up.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:11 pm 

New WOLFHEART is out, anyone mention that yet? It's glorious, though that was never in doubt. Tuomas Saukkonen is indeed one hell of a musician.

https://wolfheart.bandcamp.com/album/co ... lack-light

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:49 pm 

It's quite good indeed. Sounds like they added more melody with some keyboards, which is fine with me because it works. Another awesome new album that I have listened to twice so far is the new A Forest of Stars. It's like Shakespeare put to metal. I really like it.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:42 am 

https://nordkvade.bandcamp.com/releases

nice demo from this Swedish band, it really goes back in time, the influences from Venom, Bathory and the very beginning of BM are very clear

worth a try by everyone into BM

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 33  Next