Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:08 am 

Hangman's Chair - Banlieue triste

Stoner doom rock metal with some sludge thrown in for good measure. Featuring some great clean singing and a good production. That is what the french guys deliver on this album. Sometimes is sounds lika a soundtrack to a very depressing 80-s indie movie. But nevertheless, the album is quite good.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:44 am 

rexxz wrote:
Pretty sure Cannibal Corpse is still the most popular death metal band.

\m/

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:55 am 

It doesn't seem like many people are talking about the new Deicide album; I've seen some folks say they're passing on it and I am here to say that's a bad idea. This is a very strong, solid album!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:41 am 

Khragkh - ΓVΛΩ black metal from Belarus, on my first listen, but I like what I hear so far:
https://derschwarzetod.bandcamp.com/album/v

Also a 3 way split with Sacrifium Carmen, Sarkrista and Malum. 12 and a half quick minutes of tasty black metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMrOMhC37Z4

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:16 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
It doesn't seem like many people are talking about the new Deicide album; I've seen some folks say they're passing on it and I am here to say that's a bad idea. This is a very strong, solid album!

Definitely their best since Stench. Jack leaving was a really good thing.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:03 pm 

Gotta say I've been enjoying Malthusian's debut. Cavernous black/death metal in the vein of Mitochondrion/Portal with former Altar of Plagues drummer!

Nightmarer's album has been interesting too. Technical death metal that really resembles Ulcerate's style with a bit more of groove I guess(?).

Props to Uada, Gaerea and Rur.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Last edited by IntoNevermore on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:30 pm 

I also loved the new Deicide album - love the old school chunky vibe, plus I think Mark English really added a new dimension to the band's sound, dude is a modern Alex Skolnick with both technical precision and emotion/feeling. I had never heard of him before but was so impressed with his playing that I picked up the new Monstrosity too!

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:12 pm 

true_death wrote:
I also loved the new Deicide album - love the old school chunky vibe, plus I think Mark English really added a new dimension to the band's sound, dude is a modern Alex Skolnick with both technical precision and emotion/feeling. I had never heard of him before but was so impressed with his playing that I picked up the new Monstrosity too!

Going to assume that Jack is going to use the songs on the SFU album, which will suck even more lol

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:30 pm 

true_death wrote:

The guy plays on both albums?! I guess I need to hear the new Deicide for myself then!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:53 pm 

So it turns out the new Dynazty was actually good after all. The shitburger title track nearly scared me away.

Also, new Seventh Wonder is great as well, and also nearly scared me off with its shitty lead single. I mean, I know good albums should lead with their worst song, but not if the worst song is actually bad!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:03 pm 

The title track is easily one of the best songs on a great Dynazty album - though every track brings something at least pretty cool.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:33 pm 

Nah, "Firesign" was just painful to listen to, but damn near every other song on the album rocked, especially "Breathe With Me," "Let Me Dream Forever," and "The Arms of a Devil."

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:35 pm 

I also liked Firesign a lot, one of the better songs on the album which is overall rather good.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:37 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Nah, "Firesign" was just painful to listen to, but damn near every other song on the album rocked, especially "Breathe With Me," "Let Me Dream Forever," and "The Arms of a Devil."

Huh interesting - the title track's a fairly normal PM song and it seemed like something you'd dig. Guess it's just one of those things. They pretty much do the same stuff on the whole album except just through different filters and influences - just nonstop catchy choruses and great hooks. I wouldn't say any song is particularly different in quality really.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:32 pm 

It's that chorus. Something about how it's paced just pisses me right off and ruins the whole song. Also, the fact the chorus is in the Key of C was the last straw.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:11 am 

A Storm Of Light - Anthroscene

Wasn't familiar with this band before I heard this album. The MA lists them as Doom Metal, Post-Rock but at least on this release there is a good portion of industrial metal thrown in the mix. The band has connections to Neurosis and Red Sparowes among others, so you can get some idea what to expect. Think a mix between ISIS, Killing Joke, Amebix and some Prong.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:32 am 

Maybe i'm in the minority here since i'm a huge fanboy of theirs, but the new Revocation is an absolute ripper! It's a lot darker and more twisted sounding than their past work and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite releases of 2018. \m/

Last edited by MeavyHetal on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:37 am 

IntoNevermore wrote:
Nightmarer's album has been interesting too. Technical death metal that really resembles Ulcerate's style with a bit more of groove I guess(?).

really liking this, thanks for the rec! obviously inspired by gorguts, just like ulcerate, but still doing their own thing. also reminds me of baring teeth at times

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:20 pm 

I'm banging the new Windhand album that just dropped today and it's kicking absolute ass! And just as I was getting over that awesome new Conan album from last month.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:54 pm 

That nightmarer album is great, it ends especially strong!

I wanted to pop in and give a massive shoutout to Skyborne Reverie's Winter Lights. One of the best atmospheric black metal releases I've heard in a really long time. This is the kind of stuff I wish Midnight Odyssey was. The keyboard work is so wonderful and everything is mixed beautifully. I find this genre really hard to nail and a lot of it ends up being totally boring but this album nails it and even manages to make each song stand out in their own way. Honestly I might even go so far as to say it's one of the best in the genre. Just really really great music filled with compelling atmosphere and emotion. Everyone should check this out!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:42 am 

I've had that Nightmarer album for a little while now. It's a real banger and I like their style. It's like a less suffocating Ulcerate and their songs hold enough power and a splicing of groove to keep them all interesting, and to make the album as a whole stand out. It might make my top 10 of the year, but there's a lot to listen to yet.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:20 am 

Yes! Nightmarer is quite a thing. It might end up in my top 10 as well, I just don't know yet.

Thanks for bringing up Skyborne Reveries (even though that link is not working for me), this hits massive feels! The start of the album reminds me a bit of Maybeshewill.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:00 am 

another worthy BM album from Sweden

Ur Tid - Towards dark Endless
https://open.spotify.com/album/4lyNIQJP ... lvWNlV#_=_

UR TID - Skuggfolket-☠(TRACK PREMIERE 2018)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7QnUqwvP6Q

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:31 am 

I really really wanna enjoy the new Primordial; riffs are generally great and I like the overall production, but sdamn those vocals just do not work for me. I just don't get it; he seems to 'sing' but its almost the same melody in every song, never really doing anything to enhance the music- or not doing anything that the first track alone has more than enough of.

I know people generally praise this guys voice, and I've heard him on a Marduk song singing really well; with Primordial, he just does not sound good imo. It really detracts from the music too. :(

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

Yeah, agreed. Its really catchy, Glen Benton has a great voice, drumming is complex and tight- production is sweet too. I don't really know anything by Deicide besides Serpents of the Light and bits of Legion so have no preconceptions really, have really enjoyed this album. Love the short sharp tracks and catchy riffs.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:16 pm 

Ok, I have found the sleeper album of the year so far, if you're a progressive metal fan, in the form of this new Ghost Ship Octavious record. I've not seen a single person talk about it. This is such a sick album! The debut was good, but this destroys it. The vocal melodies are out of this world, Van Williams' (Nevermore) drumming is stellar as usual. It's heavy, fast, little bit of everything. The first song is wonderful!

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:19 am 

New Carpe Noctem. It still baffles the mind where do these Icelanders come up with such vicious black metal in such quantity and quality.

https://carpenoctem.bandcamp.com/

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:41 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Ok, I have found the sleeper album of the year so far, if you're a progressive metal fan, in the form of this new Ghost Ship Octavious record. I've not seen a single person talk about it. This is such a sick album! The debut was good, but this destroys it. The vocal melodies are out of this world, Van Williams' (Nevermore) drumming is stellar as usual. It's heavy, fast, little bit of everything. The first song is wonderful!

Thank you. Sounds promising, sort of Helloween playing Running Wild :)

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:11 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

Thanks for sharing this. I'm a big Nevermore fan (Duh, user name :lol:) this sound really cool, maybe not hugely memorable at first listen, but I'm certain it will grow on me.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:33 pm 

The new Windfaerer is shockingly good. I've taken a long break from this type of black metal but it's sucked me right back in; the violin is done really well and it gives them much more than the standard folky vibe that you'd expect.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:39 pm 

I may need to chew on that GSO album some more, solid, but I don't think it will be AOTY-list material for me though I would love for it to grow.

I seem to be enjoying a lot of doom this year and one that I've been playing lately is Electric Citizen's Helltown. They are listed as a mixture of psychedelic and doom which is about right and have a female vocalist, something I've noticed works very nicely in doom. They won't make my end of the year list, but I do think their release is among the better albums I've heard so far and merit some kind of acknowledgement here.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:40 am 

The GSO does grow for sure. It was instant love for the first track, but then others like Chosen and Edge of Time really clicked - catchy, heavy, beautiful melodies. Just the right blend for my personal tastes. Again, the singer has an incredible let of lungs. It probably won't be on my AOTY list either because I gravitate much more towards extreme metal, but it's definitely up there on my list.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:23 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
The new Windfaerer is shockingly good. I've taken a long break from this type of black metal but it's sucked me right back in; the violin is done really well and it gives them much more than the standard folky vibe that you'd expect.

Thanks, that's some good stuff. Reminds me a little of Winterfylleth but with violin added in. The cool part is they recorded the album near where I grew up.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:50 am 

Dödsrit - Spirit Crusher

A one man band playing Black Metal/Crust. And the songs are fantastic, full of riffs and atmosphere. It only consists of four songs but playing time still is like 45 minutes, and honestly the tempo and mood changes so much that it doesn't matter. It's a great album.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:25 am 

Dalkhu and Blood of Serpents also put out good Death/Black albums this year. Well worth checking them both out.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:17 am 

e_ddi_e wrote:
Dödsrit - Spirit Crusher

A one man band playing Black Metal/Crust. And the songs are fantastic, full of riffs and atmosphere. It only consists of four songs but playing time still is like 45 minutes, and honestly the tempo and mood changes so much that it doesn't matter. It's a great album.

Wow, this is really fucking cool! :beer:

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:30 am 

here's (bandcamp) a fancy black/death debut album from a czech band called "depths above" that i stumbled on in youtube

i think i'm hearing some influences from deathspell omega and dead congregation, but i feel like i'm being more reminded of something else, that i can't quite put my finger on (yet)

Spoiler: show

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:40 am 

Man I don't see the hype for that Depths Above record. I tried getting into it last week and it just doesn't stand out to me.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:53 am 

That Depths Above album sounded pretty good. I've ordered it. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:17 am 

Khandra - There is no division outside existence (EP)
https://khandra.bandcamp.com/album/ther ... -existence

good EP from this guys, i missed the previous one from last year, went to check it out and it's just as good, looking forward for a full lenght,

sounds to me like something in between Mgla and Gaerea

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:41 pm 

I'm quite surprised that nobody mentioned Lago's Sea of Duress yet. It's a great album, maybe my favorite so far in the genre. You can expect a cross between Morbid Angel and Immolation, but the band isn't a mere copycat. There's character here, an oppressive atmosphere some kind of grandiosity which can't be completely reduced to their influences. Very good stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 33  Next