Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:01 am 

Does anyone except mine excited with these news? Waiting for this.

https://www.darkessencerecords.no/dark- ... gth-album/

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:58 pm 

Could be good; if it sounds like their second album! I saw them live at Eindhoven Metal Meeting a few years ago and they certainly still captured that sound. I think like they're comparable to Hades - they're the unsung and slightly unusual bands when it comes to Norwegian black metal.

FuneralDoomed23
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:44 pm 

I thought Aeternus lost their way after "And so the Night Became" I was never a fan of their straight up death metal stuff. Both "Beyond the Wandering Moon" and ASTNB are some of the best blackened death metal I have heard. I really hope this new album follows a similar theme as to those two. Looking forward to hearing a new song!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:57 pm 

i thought their last album was their weakest, the first 2 albums are absolutely classics but the couple black/death the albums after that riff so hard.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:44 am 

Honestly I still liked Shadows of Old, but that really was the last album I cared for. The riffs just aren’t memorable after that. I’ll still check it out though on the off chance the magic can still be rekindled.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:27 am 

A familiar name from the end of the 90's. Had the second album briefly I guess. Only vague memories of it.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:14 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
i thought their last album was their weakest, the first 2 albums are absolutely classics but the couple black/death the albums after that riff so hard.

For sure. I rank Shadows Of Old up their with the first two but Ascension Of Terror and A Darker Monument are both excellent. Last two are hit and miss.
Will checkout the new one.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Naught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:36 am 

I'm anticipating that this full-length album will sound akin to their first two releases, albeit intertwined with their current approach towards death metal. At any rate, I'm looking forward to a solid output by Aeternus that incorporates melodic traits akin to Beyond the Wandering Moon, and ...and So the Night Became. In particular, if the band incorporated the brooding rhythm sections interspersed throughout their debut album, then I would certainly be satisfied.

Suffice to say, I'm keeping my ear close to the wall with regards to Aeternus' upcoming album.

TooBrute
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:41 pm 

I'm excited to hear what this new record has to behold

I actually really enjoyed their most recent LP "...and the Seventh His Soul Detesteth"

I think a lot of people shy away from their later discography because Aeternus is well known for their Dark Metal / Black Metal early days

But I'm one of the few that really really enjoyed their switch to a more "Blackened" Death Metal aesthetic

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:17 pm 

TooBrute wrote:
I'm excited to hear what this new record has to behold

I actually really enjoyed their most recent LP "...and the Seventh His Soul Detesteth"

I think a lot of people shy away from their later discography because Aeternus is well known for their Dark Metal / Black Metal early days

But I'm one of the few that really really enjoyed their switch to a more "Blackened" Death Metal aesthetic

Same for me. I do like their early stuff but death metal era also is very notable. There were high and low moments but their evolution goes without polar style changes.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:30 am 

The problem with their later evolution is that IMHO they lost a lot of personality. On their first two albums, as well as the Dark Sorcery ep (never heard the demo), they had something pretty unique; I don't think I've ever heard another band that stood out to me as overtly BTWM/ASTNB-inspired, which is no small feat considering how oversaturated the black and death metal subgenres have become. On the other hand, their death metal albums sounds mostly fine, but so truckloads of other bands from all around the world.

I don't see them going for lame forced retreads at this point, as they seem to have carved their own path with little regards to whatever else was going on at any given moment, so if this return of older elements is something born out of genuine inspiration, we could be in for a real treat.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:55 am 

A new track was released yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ArysB8ZUos

Looks like they're going back to black metal, this time in the antaeus/aosoth vein.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:31 am 

I love those first two full-lengths so much that I've never brought myself to listen to anything beyond that for fear of having the illusion of perfection shattered. I keep hearing that a few of those death metal records are good, but to me part of what makes the first couple of albums so great is how many things on them are "death metal" in some sort of detached objective sense but yet the music remains, to my ears, completely black metal. I think it would be weird to hear that sound morphed into an actual death metal context.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:45 am 

I haven't listened to anywhere near enough Aeturnus, but from what I can tell all their albums straddle somewhere in=between death and black metal, to less and more extent. I will check this out, and take it as a reminder to check out more of their back catalogue (as this sound is really up my alley).

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:07 pm 

If they are ready to unleash their new album, by all mean, let them unleash it, nobody's standing in their way...

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:17 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
A new track was released yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ArysB8ZUos

Looks like they're going back to black metal, this time in the antaeus/aosoth vein.

Liking this new track. Consider me interested for the first time in a long loooong time.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:44 am 

For some reason, that was different from whatever I thought I was expecting - but not in a bad way at all.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:18 am 

this sounds like a darker monument/ascension of terror but more black metal and indeed a bit in that orthodox vein. Still definitely can hear its Aeternus. It also sounds a bit less aggressive than what theyve done in the past.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:35 pm 

I like this new track. Those ringing chords were real pretty.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:01 pm 

It's not bad at all. I hope the other songs have more melodic parts and more diverse instrumentation. Little flourishes like that served them well in their black metal era. Based on the titles, most excited for "Boudica".

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:01 am 

Wouldn't sound at all out of place on Shadows Of Old. Looking forward to the new album.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:41 am 

Sounds more obscure than songs of previous album. Definitely worth of buying.

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:05 am 

New album officially streamed https://aeternusnor.bandcamp.com/album/heathen

Arjan333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:19 am 

Nothing new, but just thought to post this live video from some time ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1I7e1ztSxw

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:55 am 

The two new songs on their bandcamp page sound pretty solid, and do remind me a little of their earlier work. I never bothered with their more death-metal material, but I am curious to hear the rest of this Heathen album to see if it's worth getting.

But I have to say... what's with that cover for the new album? It's so boring and cheap looking. Is that really the best they could do? Throw a black and white picture of Ares on it and slap on the logo and title? Pretty lame.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:30 am 

Just gave the whole album a listen and i like what i hear. Lots of clean guitar, more melodic than usual, not much blasting. Sounds like a calmer take on Shadows Of Old. Will purchase at some point.

rexxz wrote:

Leader_OCola
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:45 am 

i'd prefer they reissue their first 2 albums on LP than release anything new.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:17 pm 

Well I am pleasantly surprised. This album is super solid front to back. I feel the Aeternus vibe again on this album and lots of little nods to ...and so the Night Became and Shadows of Old. Definitely will pick this up when I have some extra coin.

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:39 pm 

Already ordered my CD and t-shirt from Dark essence records. Album sounds very solid, not so brutal as few previous ones but very atmospheric. Definitely for those who like to spend with it more than one time.I've heard some surprising melodic lines whicn I've never heard before in their songs. Great comeback!

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:16 pm 

So, one week passed since release date - your comments? In my opinion this album is definitely better than previous one. A lot of deep atmoshere makes me listening to this over and over again to have a complete picture of musical direction of that album.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:44 pm 

Whist I don’t dislike the last two albums as both had some excellent tunes on them, they both fell a bit flat for me due to the amount of different ideas they often crammed into the material. Almost like they were trying to be as dynamic as possible for the sake of it?
Only had the chance to listen to Heathen twice. Sounds a lot more focussed and natural. Really liking the abundance of clean and acoustic guitars. As said in an earlier post, it sounds like a calmer take on the Shadows Of Old sound and I will at some point make a purchase.

rexxz wrote:

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:22 am 

shwartzheim wrote:
Whist I don’t dislike the last two albums as both had some excellent tunes on them, they both fell a bit flat for me due to the amount of different ideas they often crammed into the material. Almost like they were trying to be as dynamic as possible for the sake of it?
Only had the chance to listen to Heathen twice. Sounds a lot more focussed and natural. Really liking the abundance of clean and acoustic guitars. As said in an earlier post, it sounds like a calmer take on the Shadows Of Old sound and I will at some point make a purchase.

Hmmm I'm still considering Shadows of Old as their most brutal effort, perhaps because of sound (first time when I've heard it I thought this is continuation of Once Upon The Cross in northern manner, haha). To me Heathen reminds last album of Immortal - not about music style but about complexity of songs. Aeternus deeply re-worked their legacy and gave us great essence from all their albums didn't forgetting about fresh ideas.

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:52 am 

Half of year passed since release date of that album and still no reviews on MA https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A ... hen/728426

It's a bit strange because in my opinion that album is much stronger than previous one and deserves more attention than many of newcomers...

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:08 pm 

i agree its better but i also kinda forgot about it anyway

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:10 pm 

The last Aeternus album had some decent moments but overall was pretty forgettable. I'll just stick with the old stuff.

Reply to topic