Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:06 pm 

What are your thoughts on these two bands? I find Belphegor more satisfying than Behemoth and I also find that Belphegor has an melodic element in their music. Although Satanica and Thelema are more accessible than any recording that Belphegor has created. I mean it's a given, both bands have a unique similarity of course but I guess I would like to know what makes each band different from each other.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:47 pm 

Behemoth is meh tier for me. I know a lot of people like The Satanist, but for me, it's only a 5/10. The new LP is slightly better. Sventevith (Storming Near the Baltic) was my favorite album from them. I'm not too familiar with Belphegor tbh, but I'm definely aware of them. They have a super cool metallum pic though

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:27 pm 

For newer material I'd choose a Behemoth, though I'm not a big fan of either and thus not overly familiar with their output. For early stuff, I'll say Belphegor since I like the brutality they brought to black metal.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:18 am 

Cat III wrote:
For newer material I'd choose a Behemoth, though I'm not a big fan of either and thus not overly familiar with their output. For early stuff, I'll say Belphegor since I like the brutality they brought to black metal.

Early Belphegor are excellent. There is almost a distinct sound throughout Belphegor's early albums. I mean early Behemoth is quite catchy too but not as straightforward compared to Zos Kia Cultus. It kind of seems like blackened death metal in general has a melodic quality.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:31 am 

Cat III wrote:

They didn't really bring anything fresh. The Nocturnal Silence predates Belphegor's debut by two years and it also adds death metal to black metal in relatively the same ratio.

Incidentally, I find that my opinions of each band somehow mirror each other. I prefer the first two albums and their fourth albums are seemingly simple yet very furious and fall into third. Belphegor falls out of relevance first though. Their last entirely good album was Pestapokalypse VI.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:17 am 

When it comes to blackened death metal, I'd take God Dethroned or Akercocke before either, but of the two listed I would probably go with Behemoth. Belphegor have some good albums but they've become really stagnant in recent years, compared to Behemoth who sound relatively fresh and invigorated these days. Then there's the visual aspect...I'm not a huge Behemoth fan, but I really appreciate the effort that goes into their music videos and the visual side of things...Belphegor on the other hand, well, anyone whose seen a Belphegor music video vs. a Behemoth one knows what I'm saying :lol:. Finally, I personally think Nergal is a much better vocalist, the Belphegor guy (Helmuth, I think?) I've always considered very mediocre and not very talented in that aspect.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:00 pm 

Demigod and Blood Magick Necromance are both in my top 20 all-time albums. Unfortunately, just about everything else by these bands is pretty forgettable.

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:50 am 

I don't like Belphegor at all so I think I'll pick Behemoth.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:14 am 

Behemoth and Belphegor don't even have that much in common, why compare them?

Missed opportunity: who's better? Belphegor or Belfegor?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:46 pm 

schizoid wrote:

are you joking? they have one of the highest Similar Artists scores on the archives. the commonalities are practically endless.

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:52 pm 

For me, Belphegor faded quick, I lost interest after Lucifer Incestus. I still love Necrodaemon though. Behemoth has had some high points for me, I especially enjoyed Satanica/Thelema6. Can't say all their subsequent albums are so great, but at least they've kept me interested enough to keep up.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:20 pm 

Belphegor. Even though they haven't released anything worthwhile in some time, the unholy trinity of Lucifer/Goatreich/Pest is awesome.
Behemoth are brilliant live but for some reason the albums dont really do much for me aside from Evangelion.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:45 am 

It's really hard for me to say, I think that their styles are miles apart. They play in the same genre but their styles are just so different. Behemoth have varied their styles a lot across the albums, such as Sventieth for example, doesn't sound anything like Demigod to me, and Demigod I find different compared to Thelema.6 which was more simplified and perhaps more melodic. Belphegor on the other hand seem a lot more straightforward and aggressive in their approach, not quite as melodic as Behemoth. Maybe I'm splitting hairs but I just feel both bands are overall too different to compare to be honest, I think you would be better off comparing Belphegor to Marduk. They're a lot similar I think.

ZeroHunter
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:45 pm 

In my opinion Behemoth is better, probably becuase I never really got in touch with Belphegor, although I'm a huge Black and Death Metal fan.

Slayze_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:01 pm 

Belphegor, they've remained consistent over the years and never disappoint. Behemoth on the other hand, have dwindled over the years. I like old-school Behemoth though.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:13 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
schizoid wrote:

are you joking? they have one of the highest Similar Artists scores on the archives. the commonalities are practically endless.

How is that score calculated?

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:20 pm 

^^User votes.

Like your reviews?

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:05 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Cat III wrote:

They didn't really bring anything fresh. The Nocturnal Silence predates Belphegor's debut by two years and it also adds death metal to black metal in relatively the same ratio.

I'm aware they weren't the first. I just thought they executed it well and at that time blackened death wasn't so common. Necrophobic is a better representative of the style than either of the two this thread is about, though I think the BM influence was stronger on Darkside.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:38 pm 

Never was a huge fan of Behemoth except for MAYBE the Satanist and Demigod. I'm a huge Vader fan anyways. And I never could get into Belphegor, listened to a little bit of Bondage Goat Zombie and just sort of gave up on em.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:24 am 

Behemoth is the greatest metal band of all time, not even a competition. Belphegor has a single good album, Pestapokalypse VI.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:31 am 

Unorthodox wrote:
Behemoth is the greatest metal band of all time

what

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:55 pm 

Not having sat and listened to a whole album by either, my opinion may be unwanted/irrelevant however I've seen Behemoth one and a half times and listened to singles by both. Belphegor always struck me as more musically interesting. The Satanist seemed over-rated and none of the singles grabbed me but the singles and tracks I've heard off this new album sound fucking intense.
But Impaled Upon the Tongue of Sathan grabbed me at a point where I was feeling cynical about metal and like I'd heard it all or nothing was getting me excited and it just struck me as so crushing and brilliant.
Behemoth's Conquer All just makes me laugh because it makes me think of Anthrax's Be All, End All.
Behemoth live have always been somewhat of a snooze fest for me. So, Belphegor.

Regenschein
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:50 am 

While I enjoy both bands' output equally I prefer Behemoth simply because I have to cringe really hard every time Helmuth opens his mouth during a concert to speak to the crowd. I really like his music, but in my opinion Helmuth's pseudo evil/esoteric behavior on stage and what he says in interviews is more than just a little bit over the top. Not that dear Nergal incarnates pure wisdom, but at least he seems to reflect on what he states.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:03 pm 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
Unorthodox wrote:
Behemoth is the greatest metal band of all time

what

Woops yeah, I meant- Behemoth is the greatest band of all time.

Reply to topic