Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
roughdraft_zero
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:37 am 

I got this message from Purity Through Fire:

"Actually Paypal banned us (and also other german labels) from using it. So customers within europe please use banktransfer for payment.

Outside of europe we can offer amazonpay, transferwise, western union.
If you want to support us in that shitty situation please combine orders with your friends and comrades to make it a bit more easy for us."

When I was going through their checkout process, I attempted the Amazon Pay feature but it didn't work. Also, I recently made an order from World Terror Committee, and they no longer had a PayPal option (though I didn't receive any sort of info/newsletter ahead of time that explicitly detailed them actually being "banned"). Luckily, they use I believe Stripe to process credit cards directly, so my order was still able to be completed. I don't think I've placed any other German-origin orders outside of Bandcamp/Discogs.

Does anybody know how to use Amazon Pay? I really don't know what it is. Has anybody heard of a reason or reasons why certain labels may be being banned, and what other labels may be included?

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:44 am 

As I understand it they’re banning labels who are selling NS stuff.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:44 am 

pale_horse wrote:
As I understand it they’re banning labels who are selling NS stuff.

For real?! But isn't Paypal a US company? How come they're enforcing such a thing?

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:50 am 

Idk but there is a big thread on NWN about it.
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65725&highlight=paypal

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:11 am 

pale_horse wrote:

Thanks for that.

Quote:
Relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) cigarettes, (d) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (e) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods, (f) the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory, or the financial exploitation of a crime, (g) items that are considered obscene, (h) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (i) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (k) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law;

This seems awfully vague in its practical application, like what's obscene? A cover with guts, a painting with nudes, etc... I guess that all it takes now is someone pointing a finger and bam, you're off of Paypal. On the other hand it's a backdoor to banning bootleg sellers I guess.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:46 am 

The last time I ordered on Hells Headbangers I didn’t see a PayPal option and I had to do a direct credit card payment. I have no idea how amazon pay or bank wire transfers work so this is pretty obnoxious.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 am 

pale_horse wrote:
The last time I ordered on Hells Headbangers I didn’t see a PayPal option and I had to do a direct credit card payment. I have no idea how amazon pay or bank wire transfers work so this is pretty obnoxious.

I made an order from Hell's Headbangers last month and used PayPal. How long ago did you try?

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:08 am 

Oct 1

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:42 am 

androdion wrote:
pale_horse wrote:

Thanks for that.

Quote:
Relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) cigarettes, (d) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (e) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods, (f) the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory, or the financial exploitation of a crime, (g) items that are considered obscene, (h) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (i) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (k) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law;

This seems awfully vague in its practical application, like what's obscene? A cover with guts, a painting with nudes, etc... I guess that all it takes now is someone pointing a finger and bam, you're off of Paypal. On the other hand it's a backdoor to banning bootleg sellers I guess.

"The promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory" seems pretty clear to me. Bandcamp does the same thing and I think it's great.

You can still pay to Hell's Headbangers with Paypal through Bandcamp so maybe they haven't been banned.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:52 am 

Quote:
the promotion of hate, violence

This is incredibly vague and will likely be enforced by people with no love for metal.

Offhand I could see music like Kreator's "Violent Revolution" or most death metal being accused of such.

How much REAL LIFE violence can they actually point to as a result of any of this music? I'm completely sick of the banning/censoring/moral posturing from these frauds.

This is FAR WORSE than the PMRC. Wake up.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:57 am 

k311250 wrote:
"The promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory" seems pretty clear to me. Bandcamp does the same thing and I think it's great.

Why assume that every company will enforce those vague guidelines in exactly the same way?

A large amount of metal promotes "hate". What a stupid thing to be against. Everyone hates something in this world. "Discriminatory" is another vague one. Everyone makes discriminating decisions based on something. Sounds like they are trying to say that they oppose racism but the additional criteria of "hate, violency, intolerance, discrimination" go WAY beyond that into very dubious waters.

Can someone explain to me how the PMRC is worse than this? All the PMRC proposed doing was labelling albums.

BTW, Death's "The Philosopher" was about Paul Masvidal, and was "homophobic" as well as "Mutiliation". By the guidelines given here, the album would be banned as being "intolerant" and the entire distro would be not allowed to use their service!

Last edited by Temple Of Blood on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mass Suicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:57 am 

Banning anything slightly related to NS shouldn't be problem for this community here, right?

Last edited by Mass Suicide on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:59 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Quote:
the promotion of hate, violence

This is incredibly vague and will likely be enforced by people with no love for metal.

Offhand I could see music like Kreator's "Violent Revolution" or most death metal being accused of such.

How much REAL LIFE violence can they actually point to as a result of any of this music? I'm completely sick of the banning/censoring/moral posturing from these frauds.

This is FAR WORSE than the PMRC. Wake up.

You're missing the last part, "that is discriminatory". It has to be discriminatory to be forbidden. It's not censoring since this is their company and they can choose to work with whomever they want.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
pale_horse wrote:

I made an order from Hell's Headbangers last month and used PayPal. How long ago did you try?

I just checked their webstite and you can use Paypal.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:05 am 

I just see these guidelines as something that could become very arbitrary very fast, so my opinion remains. Anyone who is uninformed about a subject will always pass judgement based on how something looks, let alone a company as big as PayPal. Good luck refuting their judgement.

I'm not defending NS stuff. True, it's their company and they can set their rules, no one enforces us to like or still use PayPal. But I can see this derailing into gory covers being deemed obscene, just to give a quick example.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:05 am 

It's an admirable goal but there's way too much room for subjective interpretation in execution. Lends itself to "collateral damage" as bands that have no NS affiliations end up getting screwed because of a label owner's controversial beliefs, or those of another band on the label. It's easy to see a lot of black metal running into trouble.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:06 am 

k311250 wrote:
You're missing the last part, "that is discriminatory". It has to be discriminatory to be forbidden.

I didn't miss it. "Discriminatory" is also vague.

Quote:
It's not censoring since this is their company and they can choose to work with whomever they want.

Yes, they can choose to do that and people like me who've been supporting metal for 30 years can say this is a stupid, short-sighted, ignorant policy and far worse than anything the PMRC ever did. Remember all the rock/metal artists bloviating about the PMRC? We'll see if anyone has a spine anymore.

Paypal is a very powerful company. Being banned by it is not a thing to be taken lightly IMHO.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:08 am 

k311250 wrote:
You're missing the last part, "that is discriminatory". It has to be discriminatory to be forbidden. It's not censoring since this is their company and they can choose to work with whomever they want.

The key part is rather the statement "other forms of intolerance" - that is to say, 'intolerance is whatever we say it is'. You're quite correct in stating that it's their company, and they can do business however they please. Someone else will get a steady enough stream of income from various record labels (and Paypal can write up a new values statement, add a couple of points to their share price).

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:08 am 

PurpleDoom wrote:
It's an admirable goal but there's way too much room for subjective interpretation in execution. Lends itself to "collateral damage" as bands that have no NS affiliations end up getting screwed because of a label owner's controversial beliefs, or those of another band on the label. It's easy to see a lot of black metal running into trouble.

It's not admirable, it's idiotic. But I agree that tons of BM bands, labels, etc. could likely be in trouble as well as a ton of DM artists.

Just think about evaluating all the lyrics of 80s/90s death metal demos vs. the new-found 2018 standards of what is acceptable to say/think.

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:18 am 

All of the labels banned so far are clearly guilty of being white power/neo-nazi organizations. If you think banning them is "idiotic" or "a stupid, short-sighted, ignorant policy" then you're either a nazi or a nazi sympathizer, and therefore part of the problem why this rule is being enforced.

This isn't new, if this rule was being abused we would already know a lot of lables that would be having this problem. We don't so it's pretty clear what kind of labels they are targeting and why so stop playing the devil's advocate by claiming "this rule can be vague".

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:20 am 

This is unfortunate and could quickly spiral into something much worse. It is a private company though so just choose to not do business with them if you find this troubling.

Ah yes if you find companies instituting vague policies like this to be troubling you must be a Nazi. That didn't take long.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:30 am 

Let's not forget how the big tech companies are often moving in lockstep with one another in their banning these days. Do we want this to happen to extreme metal bands/labels?

Also, are posts on social media going to be enough to convict an artist? Does this mean Pestilence's whole back catalog will be considered in violation? What about posts from a supporting/touring band member? Those are probably dog whistles of what the rest of the band thinks.

Let's not forget the misogyny/sexism of old Manowar lyrics. This is obviously discriminatory and would clearly meet their definition.

Virtue-signalers are oblivious to the idea of "unintended consequences".

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:31 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Let's not forget how the big tech companies are often moving in lockstep with one another in their banning these days. Do we want this to happen to extreme metal bands/labels?

Also, are posts on social media going to be enough to convict an artist? Does this mean Pestilence's whole back catalog will be considered in violation? What about posts from a supporting/touring band member? Those are probably dog whistles of what the rest of the band thinks.

Let's not forget the misogyny/sexism of old Manowar lyrics. This is obviously discriminatory and would clearly meet their definition.

"American heavy metal band is shunned by promoters worldwide due to the awful lyrics of their song, "Hail and Kill"

...snigger.

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:35 am 

If you are more concerned about some vague policy that's been around for ages than you are about nazis actually having a label to sell propaganda it's pretty clear where your priorities lie. Wait until this rule is actually abused to ban Manowar or whatever stuff you're into instead of being salty because a bunch of nazis are having to take bank transfers instead of using Paypal, plese.

Last edited by k311250 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:35 am 

k311250 wrote:
If you think banning them is "idiotic" or "a stupid, short-sighted, ignorant policy" then you're either a nazi or a nazi sympathizer, and therefore part of the problem why this rule is being enforced.

Ha! I love how cavalierly you can accuse someone of something so nasty and serious with no evidence. You're proving my point for me. Why wouldn't I trust a totally objective genius like you to enforce these dubious boycotting standards? Maybe because you'd accuse a non-Nazi artist of being a Nazi and could really hurt their career?

I HATE NSBM and virtually all black metal in general. I HATE bands like Grand Belial's Key and Arghoslent (who say many here were praising and saying they were musical geniuses. Ha!) Racists are morons, but they are not the only ones.

Last edited by Temple Of Blood on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:38 am 

Mass Suicide wrote:
Banning anything slightly related to NS shouldn't be problem for this community here, right?

Why not ban them all from the archives altogether? Otherwise, you're giving advertisement to hate.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:45 am 

k311250 wrote:
If you are more concerned about some vague policy that's been around for ages than you are about nazis actually having a label to sell propaganda it's pretty clear where your priorities lie. Wait until this rule is actually abused to ban Manowar or whatever stuff you're into instead of being salty because a bunch of nazis are having to take bank transfers instead of using Paypal, plese.

Paypal and giant tech companies of its ilk are FAR more powerful than "Nazis" in 2018. Get real.

I'm not just worried about music that I'm personally into. I'm worried about arrogant people like yourself flippantly accusing many of Nazisim, like you just did to me with your "it's clear where your priorities lie" dig. You're proving my point.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:50 am 

k311250 wrote:
All of the labels banned so far are clearly guilty of being white power/neo-nazi organizations.

The vast bulk of WTC's output is run-of-the-mill satanic black metal. There's no denying the owner's... questionable politics or that they've put out some NS material, but there's also no way to seriously accuse it of primarily being a platform for white supremacists and white supremacist ideals without the guilt-by-association mindset that makes vaguely worded policies like this problematic. Do you really think it's wise to cast the net so wide when the vast bulk of what you're catching isn't what you're looking for? This is how you get stuff like antifa violently forcing festivals to cancel because one or two "unacceptable" bands are on the bill.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:25 pm 

You can hate NSBM all you want, but their labels are essentially being denied a service for ideological reasons. Do we really want to open that door? Do we want giant corporations making moral decisions on art?

To take another example: If someone is wiring money to ISIS or something, then yes they should be stopped, but a conservative Muslims wanting to establish Sharia law should be able to use a monetary service like everyone else. EDIT: This example sounds dumber and dumber every time I read it. But my overall point still stands.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:32 pm 

The amount of slippery slopes and concern trolling in here is hilarious. They don't want people selling Nazi shit so they shut em out of their service, which is totally within their right to do. If innocent bands get tangled up in this then they are equally free to jump to a label that doesn't have that baggage. Bloviating and pearl clutching about OH WHAT ABOUT ALL THE GORY DEATH METAL BANDS??? when they've been free and clear since the beginning since they don't spew open bigotry is tiring and clearly disingenuous.

If you perceive bigots facing consequences for bigotry as persecution, then that says an awful lot about where your sympathies lie.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:35 pm 

PayPay provides a supposedly neutral service: Money transfers. Don't you think it's worrying that they can decide to deny it someone based purely on opinion? It's not illegal to be a bigot.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:35 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Unless that is what they're doing, banning Manowar or old Death albums, then you're being hysterical by suggesting this... it's basically a snowball fallacy. Yes, any number of bad things could potentially, in the infinite realms of possibility, eventually happen. Might as well panic.

I wouldn't support censoring any of that stuff you listed either but I really doubt that's going to happen. They might have some guidelines or whatever but I haven't seen any evidence of them just purging hugely popular artists for whatever random reason and I highly doubt that would be their purview... it's pretty clear they just want to block fringe people sporting a bunch of swastikas, which is what they're allowed to do as a business. Not like it's the government cracking down on art.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:43 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
If you perceive bigots facing consequences for bigotry as persecution, then that says an awful lot about where your sympathies lie.

You've also proven my point. Good job. Talk about bigotry! You lack self-awareness.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:52 pm 

raumr wrote:
PayPay provides a supposedly neutral service: Money transfers. Don't you think it's worrying that they can decide to deny it someone based purely on opinion?

For a difference of opinion? Yes. That's terrifying. For shutting out white supremacists/fascists/Nazis? Fuck no, get em outta here.

raumr wrote:
It's not illegal to be a bigot.

Nobody is getting arrested. If you wanna get technical here, hate speech is not protected speech, bigotry like this is hate speech, ergo, they can fuck right off and I will shed zero tears or worry about Cannibal Corpse's future business prospects.

Temple Of Blood wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

You've also proven my point. Good job. Talk about bigotry! You lack self-awareness.

This post is such a self collapsing vortex of irony that I'm sure it just wiped out some far flung quadrant of reality.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:54 pm 

Quote:
Unless that is what they're doing, banning Manowar or old Death albums, then you're being hysterical by suggesting this... it's basically a snowball fallacy. Yes, any number of bad things could potentially, in the infinite realms of possibility, eventually happen. Might as well panic.

I don't recall saying people should panic, but this is definitely a slippery slope and these "guidelines" are illusory and just a license for hurting people's businesses/art willy-nilly.

I'm all for guidelines, but stricter ones that might mean something. I don't think banning whole distros is a good idea because of all the innocent people you'd catch up in that, i.e. other artists distributed there. Do the pro-boycott people give a care about anyone else who could be affected by this?

Quote:
I wouldn't support censoring any of that stuff you listed either but I really doubt that's going to happen. They might have some guidelines or whatever but I haven't seen any evidence of them just purging hugely popular artists for whatever random reason and I highly doubt that would be their purview...

It doesn't matter at all if it's a hugely popular artist. In fact, it's the small up-and-coming artists who have fewer options and would get hurt the most, and even fewer people in forums like this who would champion their cause. If you did, you could be accused of "siding with hate" or being a "Nazi" yourself.

Quote:
it's pretty clear they just want to block fringe people sporting a bunch of swastikas,

If that's really true, then they should make their policies much more specific.

Quote:
which is what they're allowed to do as a business.

Everyone is saying this.

Quote:
Not like it's the government cracking down on art.

No, it's just a giant tech company. No biggie.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:55 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I will shed zero tears or worry about Cannibal Corpse's future business prospects.

Of course you don't. It's not your band or money or time invested in it. You have no problem hurting it, destroying it, or keeping other people from enjoying it.

You're even worse than the PMRC. They were never this hateful.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:56 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
[...] which is what they're allowed to do as a business. Not like it's the government cracking down on art.

This strikes are the core, I believe. If we consider the case of a pub denying a Nazi band playing, then they are not crossing any lines. It's their establishment, and they can chose what they want to have there.
PayPal is slightly different to me. It's almost like a public service, moving money from one place to another. Them shutting down NS labels might not seem big, but imagine if it was some corporation with a near monopoly, then shutting down their services to people. Then their lives would be ruined. It would as if the government punished them for a crime, except being a racist or a Nazi is not strictly speaking illegal (some countries ban the symbols, I know).
Granted, this might be a slippery slope fallacy, but I can see a future of the internet where this kind of power would be in the hand of a few privately owned corporations.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:01 pm 

Here's why the PMRC was worse: it was a government entity without free market competitors trying to enforce morality. It was not a private, for-profit company that has direct competitors as PayPal is. Don't like it? Don't use it. Done.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:02 pm 

Saying "slippery slope" anything is a worthless argument. I could easily say that allowing more Nazis to keep freely doing business will only lead to a further mainstreaming of their views and thus lead to more hate crimes and racism, and that would be exactly as valid as your doomsday crying about how they're about to start banning Pestilence albums retroactively because of some shit the singer said on the internet. We could go around and around forever and it's all pointless because it's obvious what PayPal intended by this. What motive would they have to look back at one lyric in a Death song and go "alright, banned, fuck yeah"?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:07 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
I will shed zero tears or worry about Cannibal Corpse's future business prospects.

Of course you don't. It's not your band or money or time invested in it. You have no problem hurting it, destroying it, or keeping other people from enjoying it.

You're even worse than the PMRC. They were never this hateful.

Man you have deliberately missed/avoided every single point since this thread started, and it's a long standing pattern of yours. Anybody who has been around here for a while can see right through your hand wringing bullshit. You are just so rabidly "anti-SJW" that even fucking punishing Nazis makes you squirm because that's a point in The Enemy's column. If you really, honestly thought that that meant that I'm in favor of destroying Cannibal Corpse then you need to just log the fuck off. You're in over your head if your reading comprehension is seriously that piss poor.

And for the record, the PMRC didn't just want the warning labels, they wanted a full on rating system like the MPAA or ESRB and/or the lyrics printed on the back of record sleeves in full, the sticker was a compromise after they were shut down. You think you'd remember that since you were actually around during that time but I guess your memory just takes a day off when those uppity SJWs are cool with telling Nazis to go home.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:08 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Here's why the PMRC was worse: it was a government entity without free market competitors trying to enforce morality. It was not a private, for-profit company that has direct competitors as PayPal is. Don't like it? Don't use it. Done.

A government entity that merely labeled albums. They didn't prohibit them from being sold or block bank transfers.

Your point is well-taken though.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next