Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:38 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
InfernoxDeath wrote:
DEVOUR THE UNBORN

Nice. I was just listening to that. It's pretty filthy. :)

Have you checked out Chordotomy's "The Precious Ideal"? it does sound promising as well

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:56 am 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
Have you checked out Chordotomy's "The Precious Ideal"? it does sound promising as well

Seconding this. As I mentioned in the NP thread, I don't listen to much slam death -- maybe I should correct that -- but that Chordotomy has me totally transfixed. Though the music is obviously nothing like Pig Destroyer, this album has that creepy Prowler in the Yard vibe the whole way through, and the music is just bent enough to keep me interested. By the way, where are people ordering the Chordotomy from? I see it on the Rotten Roll Rex site, but I was hoping for a domestic source. (I'm in the States.)

And Misfit was the one lauding The Precious Ideal -- and thus how I learned about it -- so I'm guessing he has checked it out. :P

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:32 pm 

Oh yeah, the new Chordotomy kicks all kinds of ass, really enjoyed that one.

last.fm

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:40 pm 

InfernoxDeath wrote:

Um, yeah. I posted it a few days ago in this thread. (see above). Love it. Slamming goodness.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:50 pm 

Any love for Severe Torture?

"Feasting on Blood" is an excellent release!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:47 pm 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
Any love for Severe Torture?

"Feasting on Blood" is an excellent release!

One of my absolute favorite bands. Sworn Vengeance is my favorite from them. I have immense love for Severe Torture. :thumbsup:

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:03 pm 

Putrified J - The Last Harvest (2011)

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:16 pm 

You guys should probably explain why they're your favourites instead of just listing them and posting pictures. Dillon seems to be the only one doing it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

JerryLeeEx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:25 pm 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
DEVOUR THE UNBORN

digging this debut alot!

I second this one! These guys are from my town. I used to jam with the drummer a long long time ago.

CrueltyJuggernaut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:04 am 

Now here's something really interesting, for those who haven't come across it. Bass and drums brutal death metal.

http://neoandertals.com/album/ebu-gogo- ... -the-child

I'm fascinated by it. One on hand the riffs and the compositional skill are amazing. But I think it could be so much better with guitars. In fact, with guitars, it could be one of the best bdm albums I've ever heard. Actually, scratch that, it doesn't even need guitars, just a thicker/fatter bass tone like Spasm or Admiral Angry.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:40 pm 

Yay, people talking about Neoandertals! Anyways, EGGTC is kind of lackluster in the sound of the bass. You'd be much better off checking out Neanderthals Were Master Butchers, as it's a much more traditionally brutal death metal album with much thicker production (though still lacks an electric guitar).

slaytanic66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:33 pm 

My favorites have already been posted. Here's some others I like.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:10 pm 

slaytanic66 wrote:
My favorites have already been posted. Here's some others I like.

Excellent EP

Early Malignancy destroys 90% of bands in the genre.

Terminus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:49 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
What do you guys think of Defeated Sanity?

Been listening lately to them and am curious about people's thoughts, as they are fairly new to me (this year, IIRC) but have been around a good while. I had one of their albums listed among my top-20 BDM albums the past 5-years, so I like them but am still trying to figure them out. Early impression is they're pretty excellent and the drumming in particular is very good (if at times over-done in the double-bass department). Love the guitar sound and technicality and vocals do not detract at all for me from the overall sound and feel of their music. I think there is a lot to like about them, but I have yet to listen to their whole discography and mostly have only heard Chapters Of Repugnance, which I like pretty well.

Defeated Sanity is badass. They also completely DESTROY live...if you ever get the chance to see them, do NOT pass it up.

DrBusey
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:23 pm 

It's been a while since I've posted in here, so sorry if these have already been posted. I really adore Saprogenic's two full-lengths, "The Wet Sound of Flesh on Concrete," and "Ichneumonid." They're in a similar vein to some Syphilic stuff, though not nearly as experimental as he's gotten with his more recent output. However, back on topic, Saprogenic put out some really tasty stuff, and if it's already been posted, oh well! No harm in repeating/rerecommending how completely awesome they are!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:28 pm 

I don't know if its "brutal" but Morbid Angels Gateways...is the heaviest thing I can think of. So fucking dense with atmosphere.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:46 pm 

Terminus wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:
What do you guys think of Defeated Sanity?

Been listening lately to them and am curious about people's thoughts, as they are fairly new to me (this year, IIRC) but have been around a good while. I had one of their albums listed among my top-20 BDM albums the past 5-years, so I like them but am still trying to figure them out. Early impression is they're pretty excellent and the drumming in particular is very good (if at times over-done in the double-bass department). Love the guitar sound and technicality and vocals do not detract at all for me from the overall sound and feel of their music. I think there is a lot to like about them, but I have yet to listen to their whole discography and mostly have only heard Chapters Of Repugnance, which I like pretty well.

Defeated Sanity is badass. They also completely DESTROY live...if you ever get the chance to see them, do NOT pass it up.

Speaking of destroys, Abnormality destroys. Been playing that EP all week. Love it and looking forward to the full-length. I suspected a Defeated Sanity influence, though the shirt in the 'making of' video also added a clue. ;)

ramat_rock
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:16 am 

Liturgy - Dawn of Ash 2004
Guttural Secrete - Reek of Pubescent Despoilment 2006
Disavowed - Perceptive Deception 2001
true brutal death, isn't part slowly. Liturgy is greatest.

Yrael
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:30 pm 

Anasarca - Moribund
Here I gaze at a pantheon of oak, a citadel of stone
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead"
-Agalloch

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:12 am 

Insision - End Of All (EP, 2011)
Super-tight band/album with a decent amount of complexity. Guitars are very fast and detailed with their picking in the vein of Severe Torture or Suffocation. They have a dark, brutal atmosphere and the music twists and turns with great energy and calm at the same time. Precise musicianship, great production. This band is one of my favorites for a ton of reasons - too many to list. Non-slam, no pig squeals - borders on being more strict death metal but features are really brutal edge even if not fitting squarely in the BDM genre. A well done album but not very extreme as far as this thread typically has gone.

Sarcophagy - The Summoning (2012)
Similar to Insision, Suffocation, or even Immolation in some ways, but probably closer Aeon or Vomitory. Borders closer to death metal than brutal. Good tempo changes, low growled vocals and a variety of tremolo picking and crunchy palm-muted riffing. The production is good, too. Another quality BDM release that draws from some old-school methodology but still has a modern sound. Repulsive lyrical themes. Not slam, no pig squeals. A well put together album that may not be very extreme or groundbreaking but a quality album worth checking out.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:42 am 

Now if you want some more knuckle-draggin' slam like Chordotomy, check out: Encephalopathy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7aNlQNrEaQ

They have an EP out and it can be downloaded from that same Youtube page or with this link: http://www.mediafire.com/?nfty6zcn1tat5e2

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:13 pm 

That End of All is a really good cover, especially considering the title.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:27 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
Sarcophagy - The Summoning (2012)
Similar to Insision, Suffocation, or even Immolation in some ways, but probably closer Aeon or Vomitory. Borders closer to death metal than brutal. Good tempo changes, low growled vocals and a variety of tremolo picking and crunchy palm-muted riffing. The production is good, too. Another quality BDM release that draws from some old-school methodology but still has a modern sound. Repulsive lyrical themes. Not slam, no pig squeals. A well put together album that may not be very extreme or groundbreaking but a quality album worth checking out.

Thanks, this doesn't look bad. I'll try it.

BrutalBrandon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:13 pm 

These guys. Holy fuck. Dem vocals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rraStuTO3bo

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:37 pm 

Heh, I've known about this band for a while, but I just noticed that the guy on the cover of that album has a Dying Fetus patch on his back pocket. :lol: Fair enough, considering Fetal Decay are pretty much a DF clone (but to be fair, a very good one).

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:20 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Heh, I've known about this band for a while, but I just noticed that the guy on the cover of that album has a Dying Fetus patch on his back pocket. :lol: Fair enough, considering Fetal Decay are pretty much a DF clone (but to be fair, a very good one).

Heh, that's funny because after just listening to them I was going to comment that they are a lot like Dying Fetus. Not that it's a bad thing. The guitars have enough creativity and range to keep things interesting and I like the simplicity of a lot of their riffs, too. Thanks for the rec.

Been listening just now to Tension Prophecy - Riot Of Sacrificers (2010). Not sure about it yet but there are some decent riffs present. Death metal from Iran.

CrueltyJuggernaut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:31 pm 

Well if we're going to be talking about Dying Fetus worship, Dyscarnate should be mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzleSZRTUws

Not exactly "brutal," but definitely groovy as fuck. And less of a blatant clone than Fetal Decay.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:58 pm 

Abominable Putridity's latest is actually pretty fucking great. Talk about improvement.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:03 pm 

CrueltyJuggernaut wrote:
Well if we're going to be talking about Dying Fetus worship, Dyscarnate should be mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzleSZRTUws

Not exactly "brutal," but definitely groovy as fuck. And less of a blatant clone than Fetal Decay.

I didn't care for Dyscarnate's 'And So It Came To Pass' all that much compared to a lot of other BDM albums. It's to me more toward new Aborted and some of the newer leanings like that; toward some core-ish elements, mainly with the vocals. It just isn't as heavy or brutal as I would expect from the name, cover, and genre it's said to be on MA. There's a lot of better stuff out there. I like a ton of albums but this one just didn't do it for me.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:05 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Abominable Putridity's latest is actually pretty fucking great. Talk about improvement.

Yeah, I think it's fantastic. Especially the kick-drum sound and production, as well as the drums overall. I don't usually make a huge deal about drums - I'm more a guitars guy - but this album is what every band should strive for in terms of quality of drum sound.

CrueltyJuggernaut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:11 pm 

Fair enough. Some people are into them, some find them a bit too bland.

Pyaemia - Cerebral Cereal

This may have been mentioned already. One of the catchiest bdm albums ever released, too bad they split up with only one album underneath their belts. Also completely seconding Saprogenic, I'm pretty sure they're dead by now even though their archives page says "active." Has anyone heard anything at all within the last few years?

Terminus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:32 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
Speaking of destroys, Abnormality destroys. Been playing that EP all week. Love it and looking forward to the full-length. I suspected a Defeated Sanity influence, though the shirt in the 'making of' video also added a clue. ;)

Thanks! I guess Defeated Sanity's style may creep in a bit. Nothing really deliberate, but I guess everything rubs off on you when you're writing. I mostly notice the Morbid Angel-isms when they happen...probably because Jeremy usually points them out. :lol:

nr655321
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:05 pm 

Goretrade "Ritual of Flesh" - fantastic "in your face" production, interesting song structures and... solos!

Deaden "Displaying the Art of Carnage" - damn, this one i've been listening to it pretty much everyday for many, many months. I mean on top of the usual bdm brutality they've managed to slide in some actual atmosphere. A pretty gruesome and disturbing one, to say to least. Varied vocals and complex songwriting also help. Highly recommended stuff and if someone could recommend me other records that are as powerful as this one i'd be please .

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:30 pm 

I like the Goretrade.

I also need to re-recommend Decaying Purity - The Existence of Infinite Agony (2011). I know someone mentioned it already early in this thread, but I've been listening to it again and...man it it freaking good! All the way through brutal technicality with atmosphere, production, and energy. Really a fantastic release and I'm glad I went back to it.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:47 pm 

Disfigurement - Privilege Of The Sickest Pleasure (2011)
Has some Dying Fetus vibe to them and offers some filthy vocals and lots of slams. Production is decent, too.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:12 pm 

BrutalBrandon wrote:
These guys. Holy fuck. Dem vocals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rraStuTO3bo

Great music, terrible vocals. I find that to be the case with most of the bands here.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:55 am 

I really don't know how I didn't post this yet, but this might be my favorite album of 2011. It's labeled as tech death here on MA and that might be a bit misleading. This thing shreds with brutal riffing, killer guitar tone, savage drums, worthwhile bass, and good vocals. Everything fits and they play some seriously tight shit with innovative, complex arrangements yet songs that are memorable and catchy. No noodling and wanking around here. Brutal riffing ever-present. The guitars are picked blindingly fast in many parts - just amazing guitar work throughout. The atmosphere and production are definitely wins, too. My favorite track is 'Absolute Of Hatred'. The entire album is great start to finish, though. If you haven't heard it already, check out:

Deivos - Demiurge Of The Void (2011)

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:35 pm 

the best thing about deivos is the cowbell

and that's not meant as derogatory

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:47 pm 

Fumes Of Decay - Devouring The Excavated (2011)

Brutal death metal in the vein of Pathology, though not really my favorite. It's pretty uneventful but worth a listen.

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:44 pm 

For the longest time I couldn't stand BDM but I've been gradually gaining some appreciation for a lot of the stuff that came out in the late 90s/early 2000s. I had a buddy back then who always blasted that stuff in the car whenever we went to various metal shows together (I didn't complain because he would pay for my ticket). At the time I couldn't get into it if you had put a gun to my head, but there's a number of albums posted in this thread that I'm not ashamed to actually be enjoying a decade later. I'm talking about Deprecated, Cinerary, Mutilated, Fleshgrind, Prophecy and, yes, even Devourment.

I also wanted to say thanks to the people who recommended some of the newer bands like Devour the Unborn, Cerebral Effusion, Condemned, Abominable Putridity, etc. I think slam is shaping up to be a guilty pleasure of mine!

My personal favorite right now is Sarcolytic. Their stuff from Limb Splitter makes me want to smash Nightwish records with a baseball bat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQqV_AcelfQ

I just downloaded their full-length. It's not pants-shitting like the split, but I think it will grow on me some.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next