Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CrypticMonk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:08 pm 

I think it sounds like a step up from their last album.
I loved the footage...gonna piss the hell out of some kiddies though:)

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:22 am 

New album up for streaming at (scroll down to the bottom):

http://kaaoszine.fi/ennakkokuuntelu-shining-redefining-darkness/

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:40 am 

Shining continuing to play what they've played since 2002. Sounds closer to V - Halmstad during the softer sections, which is a huge plus. Kvarforth's consolidation of the same core sound is going to turn off the people that dislike it, but this album will continue keeping the ones already fans. Nothing to worry about here.

Good riffs, great soft sections, tighter harsh vocals, more elegant cleans, and the same depressing atmosphere. My one complaint is that they weren't motivated enough to get an album cover that doesn't suck ass. They were on a roll before, but I hate these no-effort white ones.

That last song, "For The God Below," is my pick for the best on the album. Phenomenal leadwork in that track (Iron Maiden-ish at the end). A must hear for Shining fans.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:22 pm 

I don't know what I think of the album yet, but the obvious "inspiration" is a little much I think. Melodies from John Murphy (28 Days Later), Hans Zimmer (Inception), Marduk and Led Zeppelin. And a lot of the songs sound like imitations of older Shining tunes. Hopefully this will grow on me, as I love all their work since Shining V. I was trying not to have to high expectations for this one, as I thought it seemed a little rushed. I also think some of the lyrics are a little weak.

On the plus side the saxophone is a good addition I think, and Huss Solos are great as always. I also like the clean chorus on Ghastly SIlence, as it forces everything in a different direction. They should have tried to experiment even more, if you ask me.

CrypticMonk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:37 pm 

Interesting that some of the lyrics are in English...they haven't done that in a while.

I'd say it's better than their last album, but it's not the same as their older stuff. Definitely not their "darkest album yet". I think part of it might be that during Shining's peak, Kvarforth was (so he says) in a psychiatric ward. Albums IV-VI were just really dark and tormented. Part of it might be the lineup changes, but I think Kvarforth was just more...strange...back then. He seems healthier now...I think it's all more for show these days (which is good for him). I think he's gotten married since then? Maybe that has something to do with it? I don't know. I just don't really sense that same coldness and everything. Still good stuff though.

Master_Debater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:34 pm 

Their most experimental one yet.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:29 am 

693 wrote:
New album up for streaming at (scroll down to the bottom):
http://kaaoszine.fi/ennakkokuuntelu-shining-redefining-darkness/

Thanks! The album has leaked too.
Listening to this now and I have mixed feelings. What was all this bullshit in the promo when this sounds TOO familiar?!?
P.S: Sample at 4:00 in "Hail Darkness Hail" is from this film:
http://www.filmaffinity.com/en/film183922.html

Quote:
Estás en la bañera, rodeada de espuma.
Extiendes el brazo y con una cuchilla...
despacio, dibujas un surco en tu muñeca...
una rosa de sangre perfecta...
por donde se escapa tu vida desorientada.
Abrazas la muerte como un consuelo.
Y finalmente... descansas.

The Book:
http://www.lenguadetrapo.com/lectura.ph ... B&item=004

Quote:
Dentro, de espaldas, un hombre grueso, de unos cincuenta años, vestido con bata blanca, le habla a una mujer joven con un suave ronroneo que invoca el descanso o el placer.
...Rodeada de espuma en la bañera extiendes el brazo limpio y frágil, y con una cuchilla, despacio, dibujas un surco en tu muñeca: una rosa perfecta por donde la vida fluye desorientada...

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:55 am 

Well, the album is pretty bad. Can't believe Kvarforth actually is content with this. This is probably the most flat, emotionless album I have heard this year. Beeing a big fan of their 4 previous albums, it's kind of hard for me to say this. There is clearly something missing on this one, the emotion. The songs are so bad I almost hope the album never gets released. Only good moment on this album is the last part of the last song. Whoever wrote good reviews for this one must have been listening to the wrong album.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:15 pm 

That atmosphere of isolation / desolation that was heavily prevalent on Halmstad is largely gone, I admit, but this album is still very enjoyable. No cavernous tone like the first two and no despondency like the next five. It's the start of a new direction, from what little experimentation Kvarforth wanted. I still like it for what it is.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

oneinfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:07 pm 

This is a strange album. It seems like Kvaforth doesn't know if he wants to experiment or go back to his roots. Du, Mitt Konstverk and Han Som Hatar Människan sound like Halmstad-era Shining, dark and relentless, without a sliver of hope. Hail Darkness Hail sounds like it could have been on the last album, good for the most part, but I really dislike the clean part. I'm really on the fence about The Ghastly Silence, I like the integration of the saxophone, but it sounds so strange that it becomes unrecognizable as a Shining song. For the God Below seems like experimentation done right. It's still undeniably Shining, but it has that nice Power Metal vibe to it that makes it quite epic. 3 great songs, 2 meh ones and 1 interlude doesn't seem like a good ratio, and it is worse than the last 4 albums, but it's not like there's nothing positive about it. Kvaforth's vocal performance is leagues above the last album and the solos are pure gold as always. So all in all, this is different and definitely not what I anticipated when Kvaforth advertized it as "the darkest album yet", but still quite good. Who knows, maybe it will grow on me as I listen to it more.

Wrong.

oneinfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:44 pm 

693 wrote:
I don't know what I think of the album yet, but the obvious "inspiration" is a little much I think. Melodies from John Murphy (28 Days Later), Hans Zimmer (Inception), Marduk and Led Zeppelin.

Could you please elaborate on that? I spotted the John Murphy influence (although the melody Shining uses is slightly different and it's so simple and minimalistic that it could very well just be a coincidence) and the Hans Zimmer melody (although again, slightly different), but where do you hear Marduk and Led Zeppelin? Granted, I don't know that many songs of either of these bands, so maybe it's obvious and I am the only one not to hear it, but I really would like to know.

Wrong.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:08 pm 

-My first impressions on this thread:
BasqueStorm wrote:
I'm NOT impressed. At ALL!
Anyway... let's wait.

BasqueStorm wrote:
Listening to this now and I have mixed feelings. What was all this bullshit in the promo when this sounds TOO familiar?!?

-And those commments where made here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88256&start=1280

ShivAraadhana wrote:
Shining - Redefining Darkness
Saxophones ? Seriously ? It sounds strange to call a depressive BM record "fun" to listen to , but that's what it is ! The arrangements on this one border ridiculous on some songs and yet are so reminiscent of the theme of Shining. Depression, Death and gloom. Very impressive.

Necroticism174 wrote:
The new Shining was actually good. I guess it was largely panned because at this point it's predictable and they're not breaking new ground but the songwriting is still strong, the clean sections haunting, and the solos rule.

BasqueStorm wrote:
I agree. It's WAY better than seemed at first impression.
By the way, this thread is dying pretty fast since the album was out:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92553

Let's continue here.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2