Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TwilightOfTheGods13
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:44 am 

Plaguewielder was average to poor. This one is just poor!

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:14 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
@Vengefulgoat; so, what you're saying is that no one here likes this because they think it sounds good? Hell, I'm not even that much of a Darkthrone fan (I like only four releases by them so far, if you count this one). Can you honestly tell me that I like this just because of the name that's stamped on the cover? Because if you can, then holy shit you're delusional. Seriously, you shold stop acting like your opinion is law. People like this album because they enjoy the music contained within it, and no amount of absurd, biased logic will change that.

Have you ever seen somebody adimt "Yeah, I'm enjoying the music mostly because of the hype.", let alone other non-musical merits? No, that doesn't mean terms like 'overhyped' have no place. Our perception of music, or any other art for that matter, is trying to focus on actual content as much as possible, but influence of other aspects (opinions, popularity, the persona of artist, etc.; you could also place things like album covers and song titles there, although I feel they could be classified as an integrable part of the music) is inevitable, even if we don't feel this way. I probably listen to a lot of overhyped artists that I would otherwise ignore - if I heard the exact same music coming from a nameless band I have completely no opinion about, or under other not so plausible circumstances. And I don't think newest Darkthrone cannot be honestly enjoyed at all, I don't consider it a horrible release, my point is the 'overhype' of it definitely exists.

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:30 am 

A well established band is not just a group of people playing together, but also a legacy associated with them, their back catalogue if you want. You cannot view their next releases ignoring the legacy, context. In this case, one can safely assume that Fenriz and Nocturno Culto are exploiting the name Darkthrone and the legacy behind it. Had they renamed the band, they would avoid controversy and would gain more relevance artistically. Most probably the new name would require additional efforts from the band members to achieve certain status and fame or notoriety.

Speaking about the album itself the music is rather primitive but catchy. I like it more than their Punk efforts. I enjoy Nocturno's vocals and find Fenriz's vocal contribution to be fitting. The production is too modern and loud? just like on all of their recent albums. If they want to be old school they should actually produce their albums the old school way, which seems to be quite unlikely. Just another marketing trick. "Leave no cross unturned", should be split into several parts, otherwise it sounds like random pieces put together without any attempts to stitch them together.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:39 am 

vengefulgoat wrote:
Have you ever seen somebody adimt "Yeah, I'm enjoying the music mostly because of the hype.", let alone other non-musical merits? No, that doesn't mean terms like 'overhyped' have no place. Our perception of music, or any other art for that matter, is trying to focus on actual content as much as possible, but influence of other aspects (opinions, popularity, the persona of artist, etc.; you could also place things like album covers and song titles there, although I feel they could be classified as an integrable part of the music) is inevitable, even if we don't feel this way. I probably listen to a lot of overhyped artists that I would otherwise ignore - if I heard the exact same music coming from a nameless band I have completely no opinion about, or under other not so plausible circumstances. And I don't think newest Darkthrone cannot be honestly enjoyed at all, I don't consider it a horrible release, my point is the 'overhype' of it definitely exists.

Fair enough. Your previous comment came off as very condescending to me, and I responded accordingly. This explanation makes much more sense.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:42 am 

DeathFog wrote:
A well established band is not just a group of people playing together, but also a legacy associated with them, their back catalogue if you want. You cannot view their next releases ignoring the legacy, context. In this case, one can safely assume that Fenriz and Nocturno Culto are exploiting the name Darkthrone and the legacy behind it. Had they renamed the band, they would avoid controversy and would gain more relevance artistically. Most probably the new name would require additional efforts from the band members to achieve certain status and fame or notoriety.

Speaking about the album itself the music is rather primitive but catchy. I like it more than their Punk efforts. I enjoy Nocturno's vocals and find Fenriz's vocal contribution to be fitting. The production is too modern and loud? just like on all of their recent albums. If they want to be old school they should actually produce their albums the old school way, which seems to be quite unlikely. Just another marketing trick. "Leave no cross unturned", should be split into several parts, otherwise it sounds like random pieces put together without any attempts to stitch them together.

How are they exploiting the Darkthrone name? Their music still has the Darkthrone spirit as far as I'm concerned. Darkthrone was always been a band of style changes, and their ability to keep the music "darkthrony" is absolutely amazing. Should they have changed their name when Fenriz started to get into black metal? Remember, they first played death metal. Fenriz simply got into other kinds of metal, and he shouldn't have to give up the Darkthrone name for that.

Plus, I couldn't think of a better name than Darkthrone for their newer material.

EDIT. I forgot one thing. You say that the recent Darkthrone albums are produced with a to loud and to modern sound? Well, Circle the Wagons has certainly upped the scale when talking about clean production, but have you actually listened to F.O.A.D and Dark Thrones and Black Flags? The production on those albums is everything but modern and clean. I don't think that the production of their latest two albums is to clean and loud. They are balanced and dynamic, and they accentuate every instrument very well. The style change to power/speed actually demands a production change.

Last edited by henkkjelle on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:52 am 

I hope that whole "if you change your style, then you should also change your name" folly doesn't spill into this thread too.....

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:01 am 

Quote:
Had they renamed the band, they would avoid controversy and would gain more relevance artistically.

Hasn't it been obvious for several years now that Darkthrone doesn't care about the "controversy"? The whole idea that this is controversial is hilarious to me in the first place. A bunch of fans taking emotional ownership of someone else's art and determining that they are in better position to determine the artist's intent than themselves. LOL, just a tinge unhealthy, you know?

The whole argument that they're doing this for commercial consideration is the funniest material I've read in years, though people not grasping the entirety of Lombardo's exit statement and still voicing horrible opinions is approaching it at this moment. Record sales tanked years ago and Darkthrone probably sold more units in the 1990s than they do now. Money in underground metal comes from gigs, not releases, and they still aren't playing any.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:09 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Should they have changed their name when Fenriz started to get into black metal? Remember, they first played death metal.

Exactly. That's really obvious, so I've refrained from saying it, but as more people have a problem with later Darkthrone I think the point has to be made. You could argue that they only made one death metal album, which was inconsequential, and then established themselves as a black metal band; but, up until Ravishing Grimness, their seventh album (not counting Goatlord), Darkthrone didn't have any albums that sounded alike. Plaguewielder followed Ravishing Grimness and did not depart from its style much, and then from Hate Them to The Cult is Alive the music was all in a very similar vein. Those albums didn't differ as drastically as the early albums, which, again up until Ravishing Grimness, were released only a year apart from each other.

And you could argue that despite the differences those albums were all black metal, so Darkthrone's latest releases are too far removed. But given all the exploration and tweaking and changing of the sound, I think it's perfectly naturally. With this album they're going in reverse (into the 80s) and there are some cool stops along the way. As far as I'm concerned The Underground Resistance is an unsurprising album, and I'm actually more interested to see what Darkthrone does next; whether they park in the 80's or keep going backwards, but something entirely original would be unexpected. I doubt they'd do something 70s. But I can't wait to find out. I think they still have a good amount of records left in them (the wait between the latest two was a little longer than usual, but maybe they wanted to release a record the same month as Manilla Road haha).

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:13 am 

I doubt they'd go back seriously to the 1970s for influences. They're reaching middle age, they want to relive their formative years, that time frame is squarely in the 1980s, that's what they've been shooting for for years and keep moving in the direction of. I expect it to ultimately come full circle and they'll make a black metal record again in about 4-5 years.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:17 am 

That would be exciting and scary at the same time. Trying to one up A Blaze in the Northern Sky? Hmm......

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:24 am 

I doubt it too, but it'd be interesting. From what I've read Fenriz certainly has some 70s influences like Uriah Heep, so the possibility is there, however small. Continuing with the 80s speed metal is what I think they'll do, but I'd like to see them expand on it and personalize it like they did with the crust punk. I gave thought to them coming back to their black metal roots but it seems unlikely.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:26 am 

Speaking of Darkthrone going for a 70's sound, I think that, if such a thing ever happens, it'll sound more like Ozzy era Sabbath than anything else. Don't know why, but it seems like the most logical thing if they ever decide to go in that direction.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:34 am 

From death to black, from black to punk, from punk to speed/power, from speed/power to doom, from doom to stoner doom, from stoner doom to sludge, from sludge to.......

metalcore?

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:38 am 

It'll be electronic music before that.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:28 pm 

godsonsafari wrote:
Quote:
Had they renamed the band, they would avoid controversy and would gain more relevance artistically.

Hasn't it been obvious for several years now that Darkthrone doesn't care about the "controversy"? The whole idea that this is controversial is hilarious to me in the first place. A bunch of fans taking emotional ownership of someone else's art and determining that they are in better position to determine the artist's intent than themselves. LOL, just a tinge unhealthy, you know?

Exactly. A band being limited in their art because of their past releases or ''legacy'' doesn't make any sense. Yes, they are a bunch of dudes playing music, it shouldn't be anything else than that. Else you're branding a band, trademarking it. Art should be something personal and not become some sort of entity you loose control on to the market, or whatever. Such approach just denaturates art.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:15 pm 

I don't get why anyone cares about a band keeping their same name, none of you have shelled out money for this album yet and you already know what it sounds like so what do you care.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:58 pm 

What? I pre-ordered the vinyl and listened to the leaked copy on YouTube once, to wet my chops.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:01 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Speaking of Darkthrone going for a 70's sound, I think that, if such a thing ever happens, it'll sound more like Ozzy era Sabbath than anything else. Don't know why, but it seems like the most logical thing if they ever decide to go in that direction.

I think they'd go for a Ghost kind of psychedelic proto-doom sound if they were to do a 70s sound. Fenriz loves the band and there have been rumors that he's actually their drummer (I don't believe them, but let people believe what they want), so I think he'd be a bit more leaning towards that sound.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:25 am 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:

Exactly. A band being limited in their art because of their past releases or ''legacy'' doesn't make any sense. Yes, they are a bunch of dudes playing music, it shouldn't be anything else than that. Else you're branding a band, trademarking it. Art should be something personal and not become some sort of entity you loose control on to the market, or whatever. Such approach just denaturates art.

Their contemporary 'blackened heavy metal' stuff is kind of fun, but I wouldn't call it art. It's odd because Fenriz has always been quick to trash derivative Darkthrone copycats who ape the sound of Transilvanian Hunger, but the newer DT is guided by the same impulse except for a slightly older time period, trying to sound like it stepped out of a time capsule from 1988 instead of 1994. Whats the difference really?

eaters_of_the_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:57 am 

The new album is up for streaming spotify for anyone who wants to hear it legally :)

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:34 am 

Rild wrote:
Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:

Their contemporary 'blackened heavy metal' stuff is kind of fun, but I wouldn't call it art. It's odd because Fenriz has always been quick to trash derivative Darkthrone copycats who ape the sound of Transilvanian Hunger, but the newer DT is guided by the same impulse except for a slightly older time period, trying to sound like it stepped out of a time capsule from 1988 instead of 1994. Whats the difference really?

Because if you rip off Celtic Frost and Agent Steel, you become a true old school metal warrior, if you rip off TH you are a nerd bedroom BM kid. Duh. I like how people criticize Manowar for their "true metallers" attitude, yet in recent interviews Fenriz manages to sound even more cheesy, whilst probably being fully serious about it.
I also find it ironic how Darkthrone "rip off" act like Kaevum (not a TH worship per se, but you get the point) is able to create art uncomparaly superior to what DT themselves have been doing for years.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:04 am 

He also said something to the effect of "Don't worship Darkthrone, or other 90s acts, worship Venom and Motörhead instead... like us". He should understand that the younger generations will look to Darkthrone the same way his generation looked to Bathory and Celtic Frost.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:16 am 

I do think there is a bit of deadpan humour in what he's saying. Fenriz is a funny guy.

A Blaze in the Northern Sky was a cry against the death metal Darkthrone claimed was getting modern and trendy. They followed that throwback mentality and splashed in tons of influences, which have been getting older with the band (from Celtic Frost to Agent Steel). The difference is Transilvanian Hunger is one solitary release, and it sticks out like a sore thumb in their discography. It was a one-off, really. And if you've listened to their commentaries, you'll hear Fenriz picking up influences in DT albums from other black metal bands at the time like Mayhem, Dodheimsgard, Master's Hammer, etc., so he doesn't have a problem with acknowledging them. I'm pretty sure what he's getting at is these new bands shouldn't stick their heads into a funnel solely concentrated at Transilvanian Hunger or other black metal records; he wants the younger generation to realise that there was stuff before Darkthrone and Darkthrone wouldn't be around without them. In effect, he's saying he's insignificant compared to his forefathers, which is humbling. He's not as hypocritical as some make it him out to be.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:50 am 

eaters_of_the_dead wrote:
The new album is up for streaming spotify for anyone who wants to hear it legally :)

One of my coworkers signed our department up for a Spotify account so we could stream music at work, I'm definitely going to give this album a spin and see what all the fuss is about.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:36 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
Rild wrote:

Because if you rip off Celtic Frost and Agent Steel, you become a true old school metal warrior, if you rip off TH you are a nerd bedroom BM kid. Duh. I like how people criticize Manowar for their "true metallers" attitude, yet in recent interviews Fenriz manages to sound even more cheesy, whilst probably being fully serious about it.
I also find it ironic how Darkthrone "rip off" act like Kaevum (not a TH worship per se, but you get the point) is able to create art uncomparaly superior to what DT themselves have been doing for years.

It's because it's these black melal bands who criticized Darkthrone for changing. I bet Darkthrone wouldn't have given two shits if they were just copied and not judged by them. It's because these bands pretend black metal is some sort of sacred entity and think Darkthrone's direction has been shameful, while they had nothing to do with it in the first place, they just aped them and try to take credit for it. It's the whole attitude towards that that probably pisses them off more than anything else.

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:38 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
It's because it's these black melal bands who criticized Darkthrone for changing.

True, I hadn't thought about it that way, but its also not like DT are beyond criticism. The problem is not that they changed from the 'pure' 2nd wave sound and that the old days are gone, I agree that people who hold that against them are poser dorks, but their current incarnation as a 'Venom/Agent Steel/CF/etc' copycat with a tint of DT attitude is unbecoming of a band that was once on the bleeding edge. The music they make now doesn't take any risks. I don't like the last Emperor album for example (and later Isahn solo stuff), but at least I can respect that they were still trying to push boundaries and do something different, even if they failed. That's better than becoming a worship band.

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:11 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Darkthrone was always been a band of style changes, and their ability to keep the music "darkthrony" is absolutely amazing.

What exactly makes material "darkthrony" ? Would you be so kind as to list these features followed by brief comments alongside each ? I will quote another poster :
Mysticaloldbard wrote:
You could argue that they only made one death metal album, which was inconsequential, and then established themselves as a black metal band; but, up until Ravishing Grimness, their seventh album (not counting Goatlord), Darkthrone didn't have any albums that sounded alike.

godsonsafari wrote:
Hasn't it been obvious for several years now that Darkthrone doesn't care about the "controversy"?

They do care about it. They seem to intend on causing controversy by their recent material and interviews and gaining notoriety again after dormancy in the late 90's, early 00's.
Quote:
You say that the recent Darkthrone albums are produced with a to loud and to modern sound? Well, Circle the Wagons has certainly upped the scale when talking about clean production, but have you actually listened to F.O.A.D and Dark Thrones and Black Flags? The production on those albums is everything but modern and clean.

Check the data please : http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.p ... &order=asc . "Clean production" is a rather abstract term. RMS loudness is not. They can't be assed doing production the old school way and most likely cannot afford it, so they pass on that synthetic turd they produce for it.

Going back to the stylistic uniformity of band's output. ABITNS and UAFM are built around the same concept and despite not sounding completely alike, they share a lot of similarities. Goatlord and SSJ are built around different concepts yet still they share a number of similarities. Panzerfaust has some songs which sound like they came from Transylvanian Hunger sessions and some songs which are basically Hellhammer and Celtic Frost tributes, yet you still can tell it is the same band with more or less the same vision. Total Death - Sardonic Wrath period. The band started flirting with punk and thrash metal influences more than before. The material is completely different from the one found during their classic period yet still more or less within the same boundaries. The Cult Is Alive - The Underground Resistance marks a radical shift in artistic vision and output, which has very remote similarities to the past two periods. At this point they have completely abandoned the niche they used to occupy and they do not seem to be coming back. So why not make a brave move and start the things anew ?

[Edit] The Darkthrone following on this forum starts to morph into some sort of cult. As one of the posters pointed out above, "its also not like DT are beyond criticism.".

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:36 pm 

Rild wrote:
but its also not like DT are beyond criticism.

Sure, but I don't think that it was the point. Or at least I myself don't think they are beyond criticism.

Rild wrote:
The music they make now doesn't take any risks. I don't like the last Emperor album for example (and later Isahn solo stuff), but at least I can respect that they were still trying to push boundaries and do something different, even if they failed. That's better than becoming a worship band.
Honestly that's not something that bothers me. Sure they'd impress me more and it would be more exciting if they'd push boundaries, but I don't think you can fault a band for not continuously pushing boundaries. But you can praise them for doing so.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:14 pm 

If solo Ihsahn is considered pushing boundaries then I'll stick to my retro worship new Darkthrone, thanks

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:25 am 

Chaosmonger wrote:
If solo Ihsahn is considered pushing boundaries then I'll stick to my retro worship new Darkthrone, thanks

LEAVE NO BOUNDARIES UNTURNED! Actually, there's some boundaries that shouldn't be pushed, I prefer retro music over shitty avant garde pretentious stuff.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:28 am 

Hey you! Ihsahn is damn good, even if the saxophone on Eremita sounds like it was recorded underwater.

Listening to the whole album now. All of my FUCK YES THIS IS EXCELLENT.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:31 am 

Breaking boundaries is fine and good, but if you can write better music by sticking to traditions, do that instead.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:39 am 

So yeah, that record was amazing. Best album Darkthrone have made since Under a Funeral Moon, for sure.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:41 am 

Suuuuuuure
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:07 am 

Rild wrote:
True, I hadn't thought about it that way, but its also not like DT are beyond criticism. The problem is not that they changed from the 'pure' 2nd wave sound and that the old days are gone, I agree that people who hold that against them are poser dorks, but their current incarnation as a 'Venom/Agent Steel/CF/etc' copycat with a tint of DT attitude is unbecoming of a band that was once on the bleeding edge. The music they make now doesn't take any risks. I don't like the last Emperor album for example (and later Isahn solo stuff), but at least I can respect that they were still trying to push boundaries and do something different, even if they failed. That's better than becoming a worship band.

No. Creating enjoyable music is definitely the primary objective any band should have. If it's also quite innovative, that's even more respectable.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:15 am 

I've heard the first album once so far. There are some great riffs here and there and all but I can't help but get a bit irritated by the vocals. Have the other punky Darkthrone albums similiar vocals?

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:36 am 

You mean Soulside Journey? No, the vocals are entirely different now. They vary a bit from album to album too.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:12 pm 

DeathFog wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:
Darkthrone was always been a band of style changes, and their ability to keep the music "darkthrony" is absolutely amazing.

What exactly makes material "darkthrony" ? Would you be so kind as to list these features followed by brief comments alongside each ?

He probably means riffs like the "bridge" (?) in Leave No Cross Unturned. Darkthrone has a style, even though they've changed so much over the years. They write very simple but strange riffs and play outside of the key a lot. The song mentioned above starts in (correct me if I'm wrong) E phrygian, moves to some weird chromatic riff which is more or less in D, plays this riff in the whole tone/half tone scale in F# with a lot of notes that don't really belong there. It's not that they "came up with a bunch of riffs and stitched them together." Darkthrone has been playing in this format forever, with lots of repetition. People are more used to hearing strange music like that with a very dark atmosphere, a la black metal, and everyone hates it all of a sudden when DT decides to play heavy metal or punk, and doesn't shoot straight for penatonic licks and a groove.

Xlxlx wrote:
I hope that whole "if you change your style, then you should also change your name" folly doesn't spill into this thread too.....

Quoted for truth. I will never understand this way of thinking.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:25 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Chaosmonger wrote:

LEAVE NO BOUNDARIES UNTURNED! Actually, there's some boundaries that shouldn't be pushed, I prefer retro music over shitty avant garde pretentiou stuff.

well I like both forms of music but Ihsahn is fucking terrible. So is new Enslaved.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:50 pm 

Darkthrone are on the cover of the newest Terrorizer issue, and there are some extracts from the interview here. I've yet to read it myself, but it may provide some clarity regarding this whole musical scandal.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next