Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MW_NT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:48 am 

Hello everybody, I'm searching for some upbeat 80s glam metal with somewhat pop-punkish mentality. I know about 90s bubble-glam, but this scene almost completely abandoned its metal roots. What I need is gravitates towards energetic major-scaled traditional heavy metal riffs with very cheerful hooks and poppy, bubblegummy melodies.

There was some stuff I'm talking about among mainstream glam/hair metal, but these bands often flirted too much with AC/DC-ish bluesy hardrock or softened things too much. Aside from this, while discussing 80s hair metal, people tend to talk only about mellow AOR-oriented bands. All of this makes it extremely hard to explore some obscure glam/hair metal sub-sub-genres, and this is the reason for this topic, probably it would be fine to finally lump together stuff like that.

In summary, I'm asking for somewhat happy and partytime-ish, but punchy and metallic riff-centered glam, preferably faster than average. Here are examples of what I mean:

Any suggestions?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:31 pm 

Give this a listen: A long- lost gem from around 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW86QQu ... yT8VI9hyh8

MW_NT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:19 am 

thank you very much, Oxenkiller! I definitely like it, seems like a very good album on first sight. More on the AOR-ish side of thing, but yeah, the overall mood fits my expectations, especially the song you pointed at.

I'd like to share some more examples of not-so-famous bands if somebody's interested:

Obscure band that is very much in the vein of Pretty Boy Floyd, there is some speedy stuff on their demos.

This band had the whole their 1987 album like this, AOR/melodic rock influence is very prominent, though.

Well, this Japanese glam band isn't riff-y, but they have lots of songs with speedy heavy metal drum beats over cheerful, almost childish melodies. Think of late 60s bubblegum Sugar Sugar set in Rapid Fire or Ace Of Spades rhythmic basis.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:11 pm 

Try these out:

Rock Goddess "S/T" '83
Black Rose "Loveshock" [Demo Comp '81-'82]
Girl "Sheer Greed" '80

MW_NT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:56 pm 

Hi MetlaNZ, thank you, but I'm not sure if you got it right... I heard these and like them, but they don't really fit the request. Early Black Rose were just trad heavy metal in the vein of Saxon (really like their demo stuff a lot), and Rock Goddess' kinda more punchy version of Girlschool, as I have always seen them. Now Girl, yeah, pretty glammy and all, but not really the thing I meant. Too soft and rock-ish.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:15 am 

I went through a sleaze rock phase about 6 years ago, but more along the bluesy hard rock side of things. Didn't go too far into the glammy bubblegum side. Bands like that were despised by this thrash/death metla back in the '80's. However I'm interested in to see what pops up in this thread as I like WASP and Motley Crue. You never know.

MW_NT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:56 am 

Yeah, I wasn't that much interested in this particular stuff either until I watched humorous Youtube videos with "major-scaled" metal riffs. I noticed this stuff sometimes strikingly reminiscent of some 80s glam metal as described here so I decided to dig in a bit deeper. And was surprised that people don't really pay much attention regarding this particular type of the genre. Apparently too "untrue" for everyone. :)

Anyway, here are some more examples from obscure bands.

Nice Australian band that maneuvered between trad heavy and glam. I'd say they gravitated towards the first one, but this song definitely was an early bubbleglam gem. S/T EP from 1985:

Early Tuff demos fit here as well, don't expect anything fast though, more like a raw and guitar-driven version of Poison or probably you'd say pretty reminiscent of very early Motley Crue (this one reminds me of Public Enemy #1):

Teeze is another early glam metal band that still was very much rooted in trad heavy metal: some pretty fast and hard-hitting stuff on their S/T 1985 album, not that bubblegummy, but already had that joyful feel. I'd say kinda similar to early Wrathchild (already mentioned here).

Last edited by MW_NT on Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:45 pm 

MW_NT wrote:
Yeah, I wasn't that much interested in this particular stuff either until I watched humorous Youtube videos with "major-scaled" metal riffs. I noticed this stuff sometimes strikingly reminiscent of some 80s glam metal as described here so I decided to dig in a bit deeper. And was surprised that people don't really pay much attention regarding this particular type of the genre. Apparently too "untrue" for everyone. :)

Yep. They're lining up from all corners of the site with rec's.

What else have ya got? So far I've liked PBF, Wrathchild, Tigertailz, Roxx and Tuff. Dunno how much will actually stick but I'll dig deeper and find out.

Last edited by MetlaNZ on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:56 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-gLn98 ... NOsnqnTAi4

You might like this; ALL was a glam rock-styled band formed by ex- Descendants members, so it's got that punk influence (from the Descendants. obviously) but it had a much more commercial glam rock/bubblegum rock feel to it. This came out around 1987 or so. It kind of straddles the line between glam rock and lightweight punk.

MW_NT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:24 am 

Quote:
You might like this; ALL was a glam rock-styled band formed by ex- Descendants members, so it's got that punk influence (from the Descendants. obviously) but it had a much more commercial glam rock/bubblegum rock feel to it. This came out around 1987 or so. It kind of straddles the line between glam rock and lightweight punk.

Didn't know they had such project. Yeah, sounds pretty interesting, thanks. Reminds me of some underground 90s bubbleglam stuff mixed with some weird (in a good way) unexpected melodic passages. Apparently they were inspired by post-hardcore movement as well

Quote:
What else have ya got? So far I've liked PBF, Wrathchild, Tigertailz, Roxx and Tuff. Dunno how much will actually stick but I'll dig deeper and find out.

PBF's whole 1989 album sounds like this, it's really good with lots of very early Motley Crue influences. Wrathchild later switched to a more bluesy hardrocky side of the genre during the late 80s, which might be interesting for you as well. Tigertailz are probably my favourite among these, glammy sleazy stuff with some really heavy riffs mixed in. Their second album is particularly good:

Speaking of other examples, I suggest you to try also Canadian glam metal band Ana Black with their 1987 full-length album. It's quite diverse musically, covering many varieties of glam/hair sound. A few examples:

Underground band Noize Toys had the nice album full of cheerful melodies in 1989. No studio recording for this sweet song on Youtube, but I hope live recording is still clear enough to get the idea.

Mid-90s underground glam band. Happy, yet riffy enough to be relevant as well.

Twilightkid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:54 pm 

check out the named Sister (from Sweden)

Reply to topic