Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:07 pm 

In case anyone's interested, the Briton Rites album For Mircalla has been repressed on CD as well as cassette. Howie Bentley announced this last night via his, as well as the Briton Rites Facebook page. If sales go well, he's hoping to finally record the second BR album.

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:47 pm 

MammothRider wrote:
In case anyone's interested, the Briton Rites album For Mircalla has been repressed on CD as well as cassette. Howie Bentley announced this last night via his, as well as the Briton Rites Facebook page. If sales go well, he's hoping to finally record the second BR album.

MammothRider, thanks for the plug. Anyone wanting a copy can reach me at:

[email protected]

The address for the new Briton Rites Facebook page is:

https://www.facebook.com/heavydoommetal/

Howie

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:25 pm 

Here is a Briton Rites song that was demoed for the second album that I have yet to record:
https://dmrbooks.bandcamp.com/track/bri ... -will-rule

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:26 pm 

There's a Briton Rites bandcamp page now up, which features For Mircalla as well as 4 demo tracks.
https://britonrites.bandcamp.com/

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:04 pm 

MammothRider wrote:
There's a Briton Rites bandcamp page now up, which features For Mircalla as well as 4 demo tracks.

For Mircalla cassette added to Bandcamp page!

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:16 am 

I'm looking for something similiar to Mythological Cold Towers or something a bit more funeral doomish in the vein of Comatose Vigil.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:57 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I'm looking for something similiar to Mythological Cold Towers or something a bit more funeral doomish in the vein of Comatose Vigil.

Abstract Spirit.

Funny you compare MCT and Comatose Vigil... I don't see much similarities. But anyhow, there's a band that sounds a bit like MCT but even more mechanical and listless... Maybe you'll find some interest in them; they're called Lacrima Mortis.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:14 am 

plug for Famyne, a not-too-bad band from the UK, who just released their debut: https://famyne.bandcamp.com/album/famyne

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:09 am 

aloof wrote:
plug for Famyne, a not-too-bad band from the UK, who just released their debut: https://famyne.bandcamp.com/album/famyne

Seconded. I've been following these guys since their first gig a few years ago. They blew me away then, and they've just got better and better. Nice guys too. My band has played with them several times, and we've always had a great time.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:22 am 

Thanks for the rec Morphine. I really like Lacrima Mortis.

Im listening to this:

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:48 am 

aloof wrote:

These guys are only getting worse in my ears. Too bad really. The EP held some promise that I thought would lead them to greater things. But nah, it's just boring, modern sounding doom without an identity and a lack of hooks to grab you.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:49 am 

New request. Something catchy/melodic in the death/doom category such as Evadne.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:51 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
New request. Something catchy/melodic in the death/doom category such as Evadne.

There's catchy and catchy, it's a term that doesn't mean much. Evadne is a more of gothic death doom band, that's how I'd describe them anyhow; catchy yes, if you like that kind of sugary stuff... Novembers Doom or Swallow the Sun would be rather good recs, I guess

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:54 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
aloof wrote:

These guys are only getting worse in my ears. Too bad really. The EP held some promise that I thought would lead them to greater things. But nah, it's just boring, modern sounding doom without an identity and a lack of hooks to grab you.

I like the new album. Yes, it's easy listening doom, very Pallbearer-y, but I like this style, lush and clean with enough sophistication to keep you seduced.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:57 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

There's catchy and catchy, it's a term that doesn't mean much. Evadne is a more of gothic death doom band, that's how I'd describe them anyhow; catchy yes, if you like that kind of sugary stuff... Novembers Doom or Swallow the Sun would be rather good recs, I guess

Morphine1873,

I don't particularly like Sugary Stuff. I like Funeral Doom the most out of all in Doom Metal genres.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:52 am 

Well, Funeral Doom is certainly a genre I like very much myself. "Sugary" wasn't the most appropriate term ever, sorry if you felt it was kind of condescending. Still, If what you looking for is melo, sophisticated death doom, the two recs I give you are relevant.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:51 pm 

Looking for some super keyboard heavy, soft funeral doom like early Skepticism, Colosseum, Shape of Despair (though not as gothy or death/doomy), Howling Void, early Kauan

Something not too brutal like Tyranny or Evoken. Folk elements a plus.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:08 am 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Looking for some super keyboard heavy, soft funeral doom like early Skepticism, Colosseum, Shape of Despair (though not as gothy or death/doomy), Howling Void, early Kauan

Something not too brutal like Tyranny or Evoken. Folk elements a plus.

There's a style called Ambient Funeral Doom, it's basically what you describe. Quite monotonous, based on deep growls, crushing riffs and solemn, non-melodic keyboard lines.
Im talking stuff like Until death Overtakes Me. Check out Symphony III. If it doesn't click with you, then, I'm off kilter.

https://archive.org/details/UDOM_Monolith

Bates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:22 am 

Been looking for an excuse to drop these guys in this thread, but none seemed to be forthcoming. Both epic operatic and death vocals, mostly slower tempo, really grabbed me but good.
Digital only, I'm afraid.
https://cultofsalem.bandcamp.com/album/unhallowed-rites

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:27 am 

so i saw crowbar again recently and i thought about how crowbar are really influential but only very few bands have harmonies while the harmonies are what make crowbar the best of the NOLA scene for me. The only other sludge band i can think of with lots of guitar harmonies are Herder from the Netherlands. They even had 3 guitarists at one point.

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:38 pm 

MammothRider wrote:

Briton Rites T-shirt now available! Just in time for Hallloween!

https://britonrites.bandcamp.com/merch/ ... es-t-shirt

BazDude
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:28 am 

Finally. Now I can actually find some music that I'll enjoy. But, If I may, if no one has posted anything on this band yet. I'd like to get more people listening to Iron Monkey. Fucking good band, the vocalist is fucking phenomenal. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQmrChMHfr0 This one is pretty fucking good, in my opinion, best song the band has ever written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJKwySONpBk I was too lazy to find all the songs for this album originally, but if I were you, I'd skip to the song: "Destroyer."

Hey, lemme know what you think!

Oh also, The second link is from the album that's newer. Don't expect the same sound.

That being said, Enjoy!

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:23 am 

Okey good people of MA, I need something like the latest The Obsessed - Sacred, something like doomish hard rock with that stoner vibe. Something catchy, clean producted with smooth sing-along vocals.

iiix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:50 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
Okey good people of MA, I need something like the latest The Obsessed - Sacred, something like doomish hard rock with that stoner vibe. Something catchy, clean producted with smooth sing-along vocals.

Spoiler: show

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:32 pm 

The classic doom/death band Dusk is having a pretty significant sale for their merch, including CDs and vinyl. I took advantage of it and ordered the compilation CD of their full-length/EP and their new EP.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/duskusaoffi ... e_internal

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:50 am 

Some rather tasty sinister necro Doom from Marseille, France:

https://oltretomba.bandcamp.com/album/l ... des-fosses

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:22 pm 

Does Paradise Lost have any album similar to "Draconian Times"? I bought "One Second" expecting some dark, melancholic Heavy Metal (that's how DT sounds to me) but found a totally different sound, and I didn't quite like it. Any recommendations will be welcomed.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:05 pm 

i noticed today that this came out
https://thebattleofbritton1.bandcamp.com
Its done by people in trappazat and the vocalist is also from the nwobhm band Scarab
According to MA they play epic heavy/doom. Haven't spotted it on slsk yet might just stream it off bandcamp tomorrow or something.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:38 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
Does Paradise Lost have any album similar to "Draconian Times"? I bought "One Second" expecting some dark, melancholic Heavy Metal (that's how DT sounds to me) but found a totally different sound, and I didn't quite like it. Any recommendations will be welcomed.

Well, Icon is in some way "a bit stripped down but riffier" DT, but it has a similar vibe.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:24 am 

Xymosys wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:

Well, Icon is in some way "a bit stripped down but riffier" DT, but it has a similar vibe.

Yes, this is what I was talking about, please keep the recs coming.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:47 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
Xymosys wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:

Yes, this is what I was talking about, please keep the recs coming.

Hmn, there are 2 albums that I can think about that are "in some closest way" similar to DT...

1. Desolate Ways - Tearful
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/D ... ful/130468

2. Heavenwood - Swallow
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/H ... llow/11007

Hope you'll enjoy them!

JtK
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:50 am 

I'm looking for a band that have the same feel I experience Crowbar having. Might differ from other people's view, so I'll try to describe it and my tastes.

First of all: Stoner bands suck and it feels like it's something people start doing when they're out of interesting musical ideas. I like doom:y stuff, but I prefer bands that lean more towards the extreme metal genres than the ones who sound more influenced by 70's hard rock. I like Eyehategod but the riffage surely blends over to 70's blues riffing a lot of the time. Much more abrasive though. That's not what I'm looking for. Don't want bands that learned the pentatonic scale and then felt they were done because they "sorta sound like Tony Iommi".

However, as a childhood Pantera fan, don't suggest them or anything similar. Apart from the odd riff or two they're to be viewed as an infantile disorder. Same goes for anything "groove metal" (which isn't a genre).

Secondly, this might seem like an odd comparison: I'm all for Crowbar's Thin Lizzy (<- not the comparison, read on) inspired harmonies, but they're not prone to overdo it. In fact, the execution is relatively simple, and tasteful, and a lot of times you'll just find 2-3 unique riffs. I love riffs, thrash metal was my first love, but riffing away like Dark Angel on Times Does Not Heal would surely destroy the band's identity.

This sense of melody within boundaries and a limited scope when it comes to how songs are crafted make me think about Darkthrone. Transilvanian Hunger apply the same technique albeit in a black metal setting and without the Thin Lizzy flare. Simplicity for a purpose and an aesthetic. The title track itself contain two principal melodies/riffs and it's awesome.

Lastly, I like Kirk's voice. Can't stand most clean singer singers across the the doom/stoner/sludge spectrum. Prefer the hardcore:ish approach Kirk uses. It also appeal to me because I like singers that have unusual voices: Baloff, Sean Killian, Dave Mustaine, etc.

Hope that any of this make sense, and suggestions would be helpful. Been in a Crowbar mood for 3 months and I've been shopping around for something similar. The closest (and not really that similar) I got was with YOB, their latest album is great. Not Crowbar territory, but they don't hesitate to venture into more brutal sounds when needed.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:07 pm 

so yesterday i was listening to the prog heavy/doom band I compagni di baal and i was very impressed. They have quite a few hellenic bm derived riffs but not in a black metal context.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:18 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
so yesterday i was listening to the prog heavy/doom band I compagni di baal and i was very impressed. They have quite a few hellenic bm derived riffs but not in a black metal context.

My favorite album of 2012. Played it to death but should revisit.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:32 am 

JtK wrote:
I'm looking for a band that have the same feel I experience Crowbar having. Might differ from other people's view, so I'll try to describe it and my tastes.

First of all: Stoner bands suck and it feels like it's something people start doing when they're out of interesting musical ideas. I like doom:y stuff, but I prefer bands that lean more towards the extreme metal genres than the ones who sound more influenced by 70's hard rock. I like Eyehategod but the riffage surely blends over to 70's blues riffing a lot of the time. Much more abrasive though. That's not what I'm looking for. Don't want bands that learned the pentatonic scale and then felt they were done because they "sorta sound like Tony Iommi".

However, as a childhood Pantera fan, don't suggest them or anything similar. Apart from the odd riff or two they're to be viewed as an infantile disorder. Same goes for anything "groove metal" (which isn't a genre).

Secondly, this might seem like an odd comparison: I'm all for Crowbar's Thin Lizzy (<- not the comparison, read on) inspired harmonies, but they're not prone to overdo it. In fact, the execution is relatively simple, and tasteful, and a lot of times you'll just find 2-3 unique riffs. I love riffs, thrash metal was my first love, but riffing away like Dark Angel on Times Does Not Heal would surely destroy the band's identity.

This sense of melody within boundaries and a limited scope when it comes to how songs are crafted make me think about Darkthrone. Transilvanian Hunger apply the same technique albeit in a black metal setting and without the Thin Lizzy flare. Simplicity for a purpose and an aesthetic. The title track itself contain two principal melodies/riffs and it's awesome.

Lastly, I like Kirk's voice. Can't stand most clean singer singers across the the doom/stoner/sludge spectrum. Prefer the hardcore:ish approach Kirk uses. It also appeal to me because I like singers that have unusual voices: Baloff, Sean Killian, Dave Mustaine, etc.

Hope that any of this make sense, and suggestions would be helpful. Been in a Crowbar mood for 3 months and I've been shopping around for something similar. The closest (and not really that similar) I got was with YOB, their latest album is great. Not Crowbar territory, but they don't hesitate to venture into more brutal sounds when needed.

Try out Tungsten, Stressball, Acid Bath and Buzzoven. They all came out around the same time with that sludgy New Orleans sound. Also the mighty Beastwars, from my neck of the woods, New Zealand. They're fuckin great.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:56 pm 

JtK wrote:

You need Twitching Tongues: pretty comparable to Crowbar with death metal elements (Sepultura is a good comparison, as well as slower, punky death metal like Bolt Thrower, Autopsy, etc.) They've got deep, gravelly hardcore vocals with doom metal wailing, and lots of intense crossover and DM riffing to spice up the doom/sludge bits. Ignore the stoner tag in their genre on here, that's wrong. The first album has some rock elements but their 2nd album onward is heavy as shit. I've reviewed all their stuff for reference.

In chronological order:

my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

agent_fist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:54 pm 

Who's aping Paradise Lost's The Plague Within best right now?

I really love this particular blend of doom/death/gothic metal--big riffs, harsh vocals, melodic leads. It has a sense of majesty and triumph to give contrast to the darkness and despair. The lyrics are good, too--I really have trouble tolerating bands like Draconian, who write so extensively about missing their girlfriends.

Any lesser-known acts (from now or a previous era) I should be checking out? I'm familiar with most of the big names.

JtK
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:27 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
JtK wrote:

[...]

Try out Tungsten, Stressball, Acid Bath and Buzzoven. They all came out around the same time with that sludgy New Orleans sound. Also the mighty Beastwars, from my neck of the woods, New Zealand. They're fuckin great.

I could've mention that I'm somewhat familiar with them. Tungsten, Stressball, Acid Bath and Buzzoven. Might give Buzzoven and Stressball a second change. I can't seem to tolerate vocals like the dude from Acid Bath. Compared to Windstein they just sound weak. Tungsten... Nah, I shouldn't bash on them. They're not my cup of tea.

Beastwars though, I need to check them out. Thanks.

JtK
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:43 pm 

flexodus wrote:
JtK wrote:

[...]

You need Twitching Tongues: pretty comparable to Crowbar with death metal elements (Sepultura is a good comparison, as well as slower, punky death metal like Bolt Thrower, Autopsy, etc.) They've got deep, gravelly hardcore vocals with doom metal wailing, and lots of intense crossover and DM riffing to spice up the doom/sludge bits. Ignore the stoner tag in their genre on here, that's wrong. The first album has some rock elements but their 2nd album onward is heavy as shit. I've reviewed all their stuff for reference.

In chronological order:

Just by reading your description it sounds like it's something akin to what I'm searching for. If they by any chance sound like any of the slower passages on Death's Leprosy chances are that they might fit the bill. I like both early Sepultura, Autopsy and even though it's not something I throw on every week I sure do appreciate Bolt Thrower for the same reasons listed here. They even got the restricted/contained sense of melody that I find enjoyable in Crowbar. I'll start with their second album and see where I land.

This is more a general note for future reference: I like Conan, so if anyone feel the urge to convince me of how awesome they are with an essay or something you're better of doing other stuff.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:49 am 

Howdy folks, my request is somewhat vague as I do not have solid references, but stylistically I am looking for something that's is melodic and doomy with elements of ambient and an ethereal like quality to the the sound.

Edit:Only band I could think of that shares some of these qualities in small ways is Trees of Eternity.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 133  Next