Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:31 pm 

SKINHERALIVE wrote:
Weerwolf wrote:
red_blood_inside wrote:
I know that the very definition of Funeral Doom metal includes growls, but I was wandering if there's something hihgly melodic and hypnotic ala Shape of Despair, but wit MALE clean vocals all the way, or mixed but not 50%-50%, and without female vocals, which I can tolerate but I don´t really like in general
Well, thats all for now, thanks in advance

I guess you should give Warning (Watching from a Distance) a try. It's no funeral doom, but given the circumstances I think it's the best you'll find. It has an equally slow paste as many funeral bands, but no keys though. And only male clean vocals. If you want to stretch it even further I'd say Reverend Bizarre (The Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend) might also be an option. Again no funeral doom, but it sort of fits what you are looking for. :p Though, it might not be melodic enough for you, no idea. Give them a try!

In my humble opinion, Reverend Bizarre and Warning kick the shit out of most funeral doom metal.

Oh sure. I prefer my doom the traditional way, but aside from that, there are still doom death // funeral // etc. bands that are worthwhile. Though, a lot of it is just very generic and not at all interesting. I really dig the tortured sound that bands like Ataraxie, Imindain, Gallileous, Wormphlegm ... have. It's refreshing and a very manly way to express things (contrary to some other second/third wave bands...:p)

SludgeMetalHead983
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:57 pm 

witchfinder general is a sweet band, so is burning witch.

scareydave
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:38 am 

In regards to the Katatonia recommendations I have always found them to be a band who get better and better with each release.

Great Cold Distance has some excellent tracks although their edit of Soil's Song is a lot shorter than the version I heard on a sampler. 'Shame really because thats one of my favourite tracks by them'.

'Unfurl' off the July EP is also goth rock at it's best.

ikuturiso
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:24 am 

intothevoid wrote:
Death Is This Communion by High on Fire is quickly becoming my favourite release of 2007. There are moments that are just so awesomely powerful I feel the urge to get up and wildly headbang, and I never headbang. That album is just THAT great.

Now, I'm looking for more of this mid-paced speed/stoner metal type of stuff. Not slow doom metal, and with good riffs.

Orange Goblin could be right up your alley, if you don't know them already.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:31 am 

I'm looking for romantic sort of doom in particular, like My Dying Bride in a way but not necessarily as dark. Doom with the beauty of Empyrium and the melancholy of old Katatonia or My Dying Bride. I know very few bands like this, so I can't really name examples, so if you can, explain the bands' sound a little.

Thanks =)

Torghest666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:34 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'm looking for romantic sort of doom in particular, like My Dying Bride in a way but not necessarily as dark. Doom with the beauty of Empyrium and the melancholy of old Katatonia or My Dying Bride. I know very few bands like this, so I can't really name examples, so if you can, explain the bands' sound a little.

Thanks =)

Swallow the Sun, Death-Doom with a very melancholic sound, softer than MDB but dark enough, tought. Great melodic passages, alternated with hard moments. I think that it's exactly what you're looking for.

Mar de Grises, another melodic Death Doom band, this time from Chile. Sounds like Swallow the Sun, maybe a bit softer.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:38 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Thanks =)

Estatic Fear is very beautiful and sorrowful, though not as dark or heavy.

But they have female vocals (and harsh vocals, too), which could work either way depending on what you want.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:19 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Thanks =)

Dissolving of Prodigy: I've already mentioned them before, highly finluenced by My Dying Bride, female vocals, 'romantic' atmosphere etc...

Mournful Gust: if you like the melodic things, similar to Mourning Beloveth.

Saturnus: they've everything you want.

Whispering Gallery: been a long time, but as far as I can remember they're of the 'romantic' kind so you should give them a listen.

Inborn Suffering: Melodic Death/Doom, another My Dying Bride-influenced band. There are harsh and clean vocals.

Dimness Through Infinity: Atmospheric Doom Metal with lots of other influences, like Black and Gothic Metal. Great band.

Forest of Shadows: Black/Doom with a big Katatonia influence. Check out Ningizzia if you like them.

Virgin Black: Their last two albums are a must have.

If you like Swallow the Sun, don't forget to check Terhen too.

Adagio (bra): Death/Doom and Gothic/Doom with a 'romantic' sound, good band.

Remembrance (fra) & Lethian Dreams: both ofthem are highly recommended.

Lament Christ: for really sad sounding stuff.

Frailty: Melodic Death/Doom, not really original but still good.

Black Forest: Melodic Death/Doom from Russia. The second demo is good.

You might like The Gathering, but they quickly stopped playing what was good quality Death/Doom to get that singer who ruined everything... but many people like them so you might try them.

Other bands I don't really like you might enjoy are Morphia and Sirrah.

I think that should be enough.

Torghest666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:15 am 

Belial_ wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Thanks =)

Dissolving of Prodigy: I've already mentioned them before, highly finluenced by My Dying Bride, female vocals, 'romantic' atmosphere etc...

Whispering Gallery: been a long time, but as far as I can remember they're of the 'romantic' kind so you should give them a listen.

Inborn Suffering: Melodic Death/Doom, another My Dying Bride-influenced band. There are harsh and clean vocals.

Dimness Through Infinity: Atmospheric Doom Metal with lots of other influences, like Black and Gothic Metal. Great band.

Forest of Shadows: Black/Doom with a big Katatonia influence. Check out Ningizzia if you like them.

You might like The Gathering, but they quickly stopped playing what was good quality Death/Doom to get that singer who ruined everything... but many people like them so you might try them.

Wow, fine. I agree with Forest of Shadows, Virgin Black, Remembrance and Saturnus, and I add this two I forgot:

- Draconian: Gothic Death Doom, very depressive, in the vein of Saturnus.

- Doom:VS. side project of Draconian's guitar, they released a must-have album called Aeternum Vale. It sound more like Funeral Doom, but very melodic and melancholic, don't think that too hard.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:18 am 

Speaking of Gothic doom/death, I'll add Galadriel and Sins of Thy Beloved to the list.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:53 am 

Nice, thanks for the recs. Especially Saturnus seems interesting; I'm going to download some and then make my way to the record store.

I do like The Gathering, and in fact, I like every album except Almost a Dance by them.

Last edited by hakarl on Thu May 29, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daathian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:34 pm 

I would recommend Grief, they are a Sludge/Doom type of band

Vitross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:39 pm 

Can anyone reccomend me some blackened funeral doom? I already know Senthil, Wormphlegm and Bosque so don't post these please.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:45 pm 

Vitross wrote:
Can anyone reccomend me some blackened funeral doom? I already know Senthil, Wormphlegm and Bosque so don't post these please.

Grivf and Nortt are mandatory. Perhaps give Funeral Mourning a try, I don't like them, but who knows that might be different with you. Dictator is also good. And probably the best of the lot is Elysian Blaze! Very much recommended! I'm not to keen on the funeral genre, but Elysian Blaze is amazing.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:06 pm 

Chaos Moon is also a black funeral doom band.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:16 pm 

Black Bile (cyp) is another one worh checking out for bands like Wormphlegm or Senthil.

You might also like Woods of Belial, they're not Black/Funeral Doom though, they're Industrial Black/Doom, but I think it would be safe to say that they actually were the first 'torture doom' band (even though I don't like this name), the demo 'Baxabaxaxaxaxabaxaxaxaxa! 666 Yndstr Draconis' is much more interesting than the album in those regards. Very sick vocals, and they probably influenced Wormphlegm since they're finnish and they were on Firedoom before 'disappearing'.

aces_high
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:13 pm 

I'm trying to get into sludge metal, but I don't really know where to start. Any suggestions?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:14 pm 

aces_high wrote:
I'm trying to get into sludge metal, but I don't really know where to start. Any suggestions?

We're having a thread on it right now.

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=38655

aces_high
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 pm 

whoops

BrutalDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:14 am 

Torghest666 wrote:
Belial_ wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Thanks =)

Wow, fine. I agree with Forest of Shadows, Virgin Black, Remembrance and Saturnus, and I add this two I forgot:

- Draconian: Gothic Death Doom, very depressive, in the vein of Saturnus.

- Doom:VS. side project of Draconian's guitar, they released a must-have album called Aeternum Vale. It sound more like Funeral Doom, but very melodic and melancholic, don't think that too hard.

Beside all these bands, I'll HIGHLY recommend The Fall Of Ever Season !!

and guys, what about Poetic doom ?! I'm really looking for this style

scareydave
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:35 am 

Belial_ wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Thanks =)

More bands.

Hanging Garden (Finland) - Similar to Swallow The Sun.

The Morningside (Russia) - Acoustic black doom with pagan elements. Really good stuff.

Wine Of Tears (Russia) - Relatively new death/doom band that have signed to Solitude records. They only have one track on their Myspace page at the moment but it's very promising.

Revelations Of Rain (Russia) - Quite progressive death/doom. Relatively unknown but extremely underrated.

Colosseum (Finland) - Soul crushingly good doom. Similar to Inborn Suffering and Doom:vs

Saattue (Finland) - Another good death/doom band with a mixture of clean and growls.

Officium Triste - (Netherlands) - Almost anyone into Death/Doom knows this band. Just all round brilliance.

Vitross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:43 pm 

I need more reccomendations. This time I am looking for Folk Funeral Doom. There is this one Russian band I think, which is Folk Funeral but I forgot the name.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:50 pm 

Vitross wrote:
I need more reccomendations. This time I am looking for Folk Funeral Doom. There is this one Russian band I think, which is Folk Funeral but I forgot the name.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=86904

aces_high
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:57 pm 

Vitross wrote:

You thinking of Forest Stream by any chance? They aren't funeral doom, but they are Russian Folk/Goth Doom and their sound is really depressing.

Vitross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:41 pm 

Kruel wrote:

Yeah that's the band. Are there any more bands like this?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:43 pm 

Vitross wrote:
Kruel wrote:

Yeah that's the band. Are there any more bands like this?

Apparently there is a "Black/Folk Metal, Funeral Doom, Dark Ambient" band.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=41477

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:42 pm 

I'm looking for doom metal that is kind of blackened. Needs good naturistic atmosphere and keyboards in the background would sound nice. The best representation of the keyboards I am looking for are that which are in Kataxu's Hunger of Elements. Doesn't have to be that specific, but it would be nice. For vocals I want either really low death growls or even better would be really high Burzum-esque screeches. I'm looking for the most misanthropic yet beautiful doom thats out there.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:46 pm 

DeathcoreDecimator wrote:
I'm looking for doom metal that is kind of blackened. Needs good naturistic atmosphere and keyboards in the background would sound nice. The best representation of the keyboards I am looking for are that which are in Kataxu's Hunger of Elements. Doesn't have to be that specific, but it would be nice. For vocals I want either really low death growls or even better would be really high Burzum-esque screeches. I'm looking for the most misanthropic yet beautiful doom thats out there.

Try Shape of Despair. Funeral doom with lots of keyboards. Death growls.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:03 pm 

DeathcoreDecimator wrote:

Misanthropy + Doom = Esoteric, but there are no keyboards.
Another 'misanthropic' band is Evoken, heavy and slow Death/Doom with keyboards, check their first two albums, as the latter two are more guitar oriented.

Nortt seems to fit your description very well too, Black/Funeral Doom with keyboards and all.

I don't know Kataxu so I can't help you much more than this, your recommendation seems pretty vague to me this way.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:12 am 

WHY are people still recommending Nortt.

NORTT IS SERIOUSLY BAD.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:17 am 

caspian wrote:
WHY are people still recommending Nortt.

NORTT IS SERIOUSLY BAD.

:nods: Nortt are poopy.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:08 am 

Yeah, go on and recommend diSEMBOWELMENT for someone looking for "blackened doom with keyboards".

Oh and Nortt is awesome.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:34 am 

Nortt is awesome. I hate a lot of funeral doom, but Nortt is just exceptionally good.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:28 pm 

This thread has too much doom that isn't traditional doom. Which is just disgracefully sad.

What are people's opinion on Count Raven?

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:09 pm 

Amerigo wrote:

I heard Storm Warning a while back and didn't like it that much. It had it's decent bits, but for the most part it was too repetitious and boring.

- John Calvin.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:41 pm 

0kill wrote:
Amerigo wrote:

I heard Storm Warning a while back and didn't like it that much. It had it's decent bits, but for the most part it was too repetitious and boring.
I've not heard it myself, but the hearsay is that it's their worst album.

The other three albums can be likened to unofficial sequels to Sabbath's Master of Reality.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:25 am 

Amerigo wrote:
This thread has too much doom that isn't traditional doom. Which is just disgracefully sad.

Amerigo wrote:

Agreed and concurred. Count Raven still rules, though. A new album still in the works for those interested.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:15 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Amerigo wrote:

Amerigo wrote:

Agreed and concurred. Count Raven still rules, though. A new album still in the works for those interested.

Are there any trad doom bands still out there, playing US shows? I was extremely disappointed that I never got to see Reverend Bizarre live.

Myjk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:26 pm 

Wretched. One of the many Hellhound Records doom bands. I have the opportunity to purchase their 1st 2 albums. I usually aways snap up something new being a voracious collector, but it never hurts to ask beforehand. I noticed that they have a couple members of an old thrash band I really enjoy called Indestroy, and the cursory review on I read on www.bnrmetal.com sounds intriguing.

Are they anything like Reverend Bizarre perchance?

Last edited by Myjk on Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myjk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:27 pm 

caspian wrote:
Finally a thread that I can appear to be knowledgeable in.

Here's something that I'm looking for, if anyone can help: Some sort of doom with a sort of, uhh, elegant (yet still satisfying heavy) riffing style, and a really epic feel. Effectively a doom metal album that brings to mind epic fantasy novels but is still satisfyingly heavy. I guess My Dying Bride at their slowest mixed with, say, the epic scope of Thergothon but a bit less ominous and lovecraft-ish.

Maybe Orodruin.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 133  Next