Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:30 am 

rexxz wrote:
A lot of my friends played at Neon Retrofest, that's awesome you went!

Dope! I take it they were the heavier acts that played on Friday? Would love to go again if they're making this an annual thing a la Maryland Deathfest.

@theposega

I've always sorta lumped darksynth and slasherwave together to describe heavier synth acts despite lyrical/conceptual differences. That said, I'm actually throwing a vaporwave/synthwave party soon with some friends. It's hard to make a consistent playlist with something overtly heavy like Gost lol.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:44 am 

Bonggita, Dreddd, Facexhugger, Glitch Black and Straplocked are all good friends of mine. Some of the other artists I've spoken with a few times here and there but those I mentioned are folks I talk to regularly.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:26 pm 

facexhugger and i follow each other on instagram. can confirm he's a good dude, and Sci-Fi Violence is an absolute ripper. straplocked's collab with ray gun hero from this year is also prime stuff.

Rippingheadache wrote:
I've always sorta lumped darksynth and slasherwave together to describe heavier synth acts despite lyrical/conceptual differences

oh, i'm not saying you're wrong. there is considerable overlap. was just pointing out that it's not some made up tag a la "popwave" or "goresynth"

anyways, the wice album dropped and is truly something. landing somewhere between waveshaper and dynatron, with a considerable dash of brut. highly recommended.

cyberthing!'s terminal annihilation is a solid slab of cyberpunk bleakness. probably a little too long for it's own good (20 tracks, ~70 minutes) but still worth a listen if you dig daniel deluxe, older mega drive, etc.

and i finally got around to hearing fixions' headhunter ep and goddamn. what the hell do they put in the water over in france? his dismember cover is also super good. probably one of the more underrated acts imo

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:48 am 

theposega wrote:
slasherwave is just gost-type stuff. less dancy, more heavy. not really a nonsense microgenre by any means, but cool. good post.

Just synthwave.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:02 am 

lol

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:31 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
theposega wrote:
slasherwave is just gost-type stuff. less dancy, more heavy. not really a nonsense microgenre by any means, but cool. good post.

Just synthwave.

Yeah and Metallica and Slayer were just "metal" until they weren't, which is to say slasherwave is most definitely a thing that has branched off from the base outrun synthwave sound. It might not have caught on as heavily as it needs to yet, but it's not "just synthwave" by any means.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:31 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Not getting much of a synthwave vibe from that at all, but it's not bad or anything. Just sounds like a lot of other electronic ambient black metal I've heard before.

Any recommendations?

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:15 am 

drterror666 wrote:
rexxz wrote:
Not getting much of a synthwave vibe from that at all, but it's not bad or anything. Just sounds like a lot of other electronic ambient black metal I've heard before.

Any recommendations?

So like I know Striborg's Blackwave but there is more?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:33 pm 

Shameless plug! So TimeSlave Recordings is releasing my first physical media ever. It's called The Abyssal Saga and it's a double compilation of my first two EPs under one glorious cassette tape.

Here's a hi-res image of the cassette:

Spoiler: show

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:32 pm 

nice! timeslaves is probably my favorite synth label tbh, at least as far as the more standard/retro stuff goes. so many good releases.

anywho, the new gregorio franco album is out and i can't believe it. ups the heavy metal (especially thrash) influence considerably, but in a way that feels like a logical progression of the darksynth style as opposed to some genre hybridizing. absolutely merciless and highly, highly recommended.

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:05 am 

rexxz wrote:
Shameless plug! So TimeSlave Recordings is releasing my first physical media ever. It's called The Abyssal Saga and it's a double compilation of my first two EPs under one glorious cassette tape.

Is there a release and/or preorder date? I really enjoyed your self-titled EP.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:44 pm 

Hey man, thanks for the encouragement! That tape should be coming out October 13th for Cassette Store Day in the UK.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:46 pm 

rexxz wrote:

OK, I've listened to the whole album now. I agree with you that it's not synthwave in the classic sense, even though they use retro synths; some of it is a bit chill and other times it can get a bit techno. I haven't heard an electronic ambient black metal album that sound like Abstract Void, though. Most of them seem to be dark / coldwave with black metal singing!

Last edited by drterror666 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:57 pm 

I'm not trying to say they are 1:1 ratio of exact similarity of their peers, but simply that what I heard had much in common with electronic black metal groups or songs that I've heard in the past. Using retro synths doesn't really make you synthwave either, in my opinion. It's a very specific conflux of sounds and ideas that are distilled from mid to late 80s new wave and electronica and early trance music. Synthwave as we know it today in its modern incarnation really isn't even that retro to begin with except for a few producers that purposefully create with that in mind. Instead is is an amalgam of influences from the past and modern schools of production. I am not trying to claim all synthwave acts must necessarily sound the same, but instead I would offer the point of view that for any music (or art in general) to be classified in a genre, it must satisfy a requirement of having a reasonable percentage of sonic aesthetics and compositional tools that are common to that genre. I like to say that genres are classification tools that only represent a spectrum of qualities, and any given act can have more or less of those qualities and thus fall anywhere on this spectrum.

To me, I was just stating that even though the band you linked has a certain tone from their synths that may be similar to synthwave productions, it does not really have enough of the other genre-markers, or idiosyncrasies. Purely for example, if they used more retro drum machines like the Linn or Simmons, had breakdowns with just a Juno pad and a Korg triton arp, used a more balanced ratio of metal:electronica drum patterns, featured a prominent analog synth bassline or literally any number of combinations of other things, then I think you could make a stronger argument in favor of the synthwave influence. But to me from what I heard, you could easily say they are trance black metal or psybient black metal, or a handful of other electronica genres that might closely match that aesthetic.

Yeah, long winded rant but I hope I was able to communicate effectively.

zonfar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:17 pm 

My buddy loves this style of music. It's hard for me to get into though, those old 80 sounds are so old/scratchy/wavering types of sounds that make me feel uneasy.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:48 pm 

rexxz wrote:

Here's a hi-res image of the cassette:

Spoiler: show

This cassette tape is now officially available!

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:32 pm 

new gunship is pretty much all i've listened to the past couple days

it took a couple listens but it's grown on me to the point of probably being my album of the year.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:54 pm 

theposega wrote:

it took a couple listens but it's grown on me to the point of probably being my album of the year.

Not feeling this one. I typically detest vocals in synthwave and this is no exception. Skipped to track 2 and I hear this god-awful saxophone... (grimacingemoji)

This one isn't for me, lol

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:42 pm 

The most important thing is that you get one of those 50 limited first edition pressings of The Abyssal Saga, IMO. :lol: :uh oh:

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:24 pm 

rexxz wrote:
The most important thing is that you get one of those 50 limited first edition pressings of The Abyssal Saga, IMO. :lol: :uh oh:

Already done! Been meaning to get some Hexenkraft and getting something physical is great!

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:22 pm 

theposega wrote:

Lovin it. Their music videos are incredible as well.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:21 pm 

wolf and raven's lair of the dragon is a serious heater. like a lighter dance with the dead, but instead of trash 80s straight-to-tape horror, it's vibe is trash 80s straight-to-tape ninja/action films. very good guitar-playing too, for those that are interested in that. super, super fun album that i can't recommend enough.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:48 pm 

Went to see Carpenter Brut and GosT live the other night. All I can say is wow! It was like being in another dimension for a few hours!!!

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:21 pm 

Masked - Bloodlust

Just sayin'!

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:39 pm 

magic sword have dropped a couple singles within the past month or so and goddamn. been re-listening to their older stuff and it's been growing on me (especially the legend ep) but man. this is just super weird/creative songwriting with an epic as hell atmosphere. they aren't a super metallic act by the genre's standard, but they really convey a similar feel to a lot of classic heavy metal imo. really hope they drop a new album soon.

SteelCityCollective
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:18 am 

maskedsynthwave.bandcamp.com/album/bloodlust

contre-attaque.bandcamp.com/album/zero-hour

There are FIIIIIIRRREEEEE, Synthmetal at it's finest!! ^^

~Guest 476778
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:50 am 

Just listened to Masked, Magic Sword and Contre-Attaque, thanks for mentioning them! They sound great!

headbangersahoy2022
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:46 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Became a huge fan of this genre in the past year. I follow this channel on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD-4g5 ... LaNS_ghU4g

Helps me pick up a lot of new things.

Artists I've gotten into are D.Notive, Starforce, Lost Years, FM-84, and The Midnight. Definitely a genre that has surged inthe last few years.

I got into this genre after watching 'Drive' (okay movie, great soundtrack). Then there was a whole barrage of '80s nostalgia following the success of Stranger Things and I realized that they were all using '80s synthpop or similar themes.

I like the genre but I think it's now being co-opted by people looking to cash in on the nostalgia bucks. Not a fan of the trend

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:39 am 

headbangersahoy2022 wrote:
I got into this genre after watching 'Drive'

Same, actually.

Favorite synthwave album is currently "Frights" by Slasher Dave.

SteelCityCollective
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:34 pm 

Hey dudes, we've got the best emerging darksynth / synthmetal label in the synthwave scene, all our music is on pay what you want today on bandcamp at www.steelcitycollective.bandcamp.com

Our artists include Masked and Contre-Attaque, who are big hitters with huge metal influences. If you go to their own Bandcamp pages then their entire back-catalogue of releases are also free all day today, just for Black Friday.. There are over 10 EPs / Albums you can download so fill your boots, there's not long left!!!!

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:59 pm 

headbangersahoy2022 wrote:
I like the genre but I think it's now being co-opted by people looking to cash in on the nostalgia bucks. Not a fan of the trend

Yes, I agree. I'm only interested in the bands that are breaking out of the mould, so to speak.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:22 am 

SteelCityCollective wrote:
Hey dudes, we've got the best emerging darksynth / synthmetal label in the synthwave scene, all our music is on pay what you want today on bandcamp at http://www.steelcitycollective.bandcamp.com

Our artists include Masked and Contre-Attaque, who are big hitters with huge metal influences. If you go to their own Bandcamp pages then their entire back-catalogue of releases are also free all day today, just for Black Friday.. There are over 10 EPs / Albums you can download so fill your boots, there's not long left!!!!

Self-promotion... but I'll allow it, just this once ;)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:41 pm 

Check it out, my official remix of Scandroid's new song Onyx, from his brand new album The Darkness which just released today. Hope you all dig it!

https://scandroid.bandcamp.com/track/on ... raft-remix

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:51 pm 

new electric dragon album, dark water

absolute fucking masterpiece. pummeling darksynth that's as heavy as anything else but with a unique underwater, lovecraftian atmosphere. some melodies kinda recall early septic flesh imo. really progressing the style without sacrificing the essence of it.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:19 am 

Umberto anyone?

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:54 pm 

Linky?

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:23 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyyfkgv ... DcGe3DEyfb

Here you go! Focuses more on the 70s Giallo horror. Love it.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:48 pm 

So, synthwave has been around for about seven years now and loads of people have jumped on their DAWs and workstations to create outrun / retro / chillwave / whatever. To my ears, there are only a few acts breaking out of the mold and many acts refusing to budge. So, is the scene approaching burnout? Is it about to get crushed under the weight of all the bandwagon jumpers?

Discuss!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:07 pm 

I do not think so, to me it's just now entering its prime. There are a lot of standout acts who have been breaking the mold that you're talking about, even if they are swamped amidst a massive sea of amateurs. But that's the case for most music, to be quite honest. I think it is fair to say that the creative wells of certain styles of synthwave have been tapped dry, but that isn't to say the fields are barren. There are a lot of emerging artists doing unexpected and great things within the loose confines of the genre.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:05 am 

I think it's doing pretty well imo, or at least as fine as any other genre. There's some genuine creative genius shit, some lazy half-assery and most falls somewhere in between. Synthwave more than ever is a scene more than a specific sound too, and I think that's helping to keep things fresh and exciting.

And the amateurish aspect of it is part of the appeal for me. It's kinda like punk, in a way. Just more about passion than any real musical knowledge or whatever the hell

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next