Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:44 pm 

So Mark Judge was a... Gamergater

And he had a creepy-ass youtube channel full of scantily clad young women

I can't even....

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:30 am 

And guess who wrote a glowing endorsement of his Gamergate article: https://mobile.twitter.com/unabanned/st ... 49888?s=19
(screencapped, she deleted it just a few hours ago for obvious reasons but it's real)

In the grand scheme of things, shilling for #gg is one of the least evil things this guy has ever done. Swear to god, this Kavanaugh/Judge shit is like Pizzagate but real.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:17 am 

Honestly, this seems like one of those times where voting straight along party lines might not be as likely as I'd normally expect. In particular, I feel like the more swingy Republican women might be more likely to vote no, possibly depending on their own experiences with sexual assault. I'd known some sexual assault victims before #MeToo, but once that really took off and I started to see the universality of these kinds of experiences, and then watching how other women would relate to these stories...I just can't imagine one of these senators having an experience anywhere remotely similar to Dr. Ford's and then voting to confirm the guy.

So who knows. I think the pattern has emerged well enough that there will probably be yet more women coming forward as well.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:52 am 

True, once the soundbyte of Trump bragging about literally grabbing women by the pussy emerged, women across the nation (particularly white women) unified to keep him far, far away from the presidency. :rolleyes:

To be fair though, Trump has a rare ability to just shake off career-killers that, thankfully, no one else can seem to replicate. I think Kavanaugh maintaining that Dr. Ford is 100% lying is what's going to hurt him/Republicans the most... but at the same time, you have no idea how many of these Republican women would rather a secretary be slapped on the ass every day by their lecherous married boss than have a single abortion. A helluva lot of them.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:26 am 

Kavanaugh maintaining that Ford is 100% lying is not what is going to hurt him or the GOP the most; that's a pretty normal legal defense for an innocent person to make.

Here's what wasn't normal for an accused sex offender:

"Hey Mrs. Prosecutor, do you like beer?"
    "Hey Mrs. Prosecutor, have you ever blacked out?"
    Lying about your high school yearbook (e.g., boofing and devil's triangles)*
    Blaming the Clintons
    Blaming the vast left-wing conspiracy

His testimony was an unhealthy admixture of the merely awkward and the disqualifying-ly inappropriate. And that's without any direct questions about Whelan or his finances (seriously, how...why were these not raised?).

*to be fair, questions about high school threesomes are irrelevant in the context of a SCOTUS nomination and raising them is something I would expect from a desperate 90's GOP moral puritan, not a 2018 pol

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:14 am 

The most telling part of the Kavanaugh situation is how every single one of his defenses can be intrinsically linked to a Mentors song.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:21 am 

darkeningday wrote:
True, once the soundbyte of Trump bragging about literally grabbing women by the pussy emerged, women across the nation (particularly white women) unified to keep him far, far away from the presidency. :rolleyes:

That's pretty different, though. That was a soundclip of Trump and Billy Bush talking about women in a really crude way, bragging about exploits and sexual assault. I mean, while that obviously is bad, it's a known liar and braggart making these claims, so is more easily written off as "locker room talk" by his defenders. But listening to an actual victim recount details of something is totally different. I think things might've been very different if, instead of getting the Trump audio clip, we instead (or in addition) got an actual Trump victim coming forward saying that he actually DID grab her by the pussy and giving explicit details about the assault. For sure there still would have been legions of douchebags quick to call her a liar and a whore or whatever, and jump to Trump's defense, but listening to actual victim accounts of things is pretty moving and understandably so, and might've changed the minds of quite a few people.*

(*Not that I'm saying sexual assault victims are under any special obligation to share their assaults with the public.)

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:15 pm 

But bats, several women have come forward to speak about being sexually assaulted by Trump, and he still got to be president. Thing are just that fucked up.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:52 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Kavanaugh maintaining that Ford is 100% lying is not what is going to hurt him or the GOP the most; that's a pretty normal legal defense for an innocent person to make.

Blaming the Clintons

His testimony was an unhealthy admixture of the merely awkward and the disqualifying-ly inappropriate. And that's without any direct questions about Whelan or his finances (seriously, how...why were these not raised?).

*to be fair, questions about high school threesomes are irrelevant in the context of a SCOTUS nomination and raising them is something I would expect from a desperate 90's GOP moral puritan, not a 2018 pol

The only way these would ever be used as a reason for keeping him out of the SC is if any/all of the assault allegations against him were determined "likely true" by the FBI. The republican-controlled senate would use them as a technicality and smokescreen to save them the embarrassment of going to bat so hard for what turned out to be a literal rapist. That's why McConnell is fighting so hard for the FBI dossier to remain classified and seen only by the Senate.

If you want to put on your tinfoil hat, you could argue that Kavanaugh seeded these obvious lies and 1/8th truths at the behest of the higher-ups. And as long as you've got that hat on, do you think it's possible the Dems did such a half-assed, uncoordinated and just downright lazy job interrogating Kav intentionally, because they actually want him to be confirmed so they can make a killing in the next election?

Fuck, I'm starting to sound like a Qanon poster.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:47 am 

Earthcubed wrote:

Blaming the Clintons

I would agree that some of the questions aren't necessary for the position, however, how he handled them is actually very important. He was angry, spiteful, conspiratorial, and flat-out lied about things, and that is an incredible window into who he really is. He's an unhinged liar, he's way too emotional and has no control over those emotions (imagine, just fucking imagine if he was female and giving his performance), he lies about things that are easily fact-checked. Like the Devil's Triangle thing, which was immediately debunked by Twitter users. How hard is it to say "it's a threesome with me, another dude, and a chick" followed by, "this doesn't have any bearing on my abilities to be an unbiased justice of the court."

But he can't even do any of that fucking shit. He utterly lacks the capacity for rational, emotionally stable, mature self-control. He lies about non-issues, he can't answer anything reasonably, he blames "the Clintons" and "the Democrats" instead of maturely owning up to his own fucking life.

THIS IS THE BEST REPUBLICANS CAN DO.

The best they can do is a lying, whiny, crying, temperamental, unhinged, wildly emotional, sexist, biased drunk. This is the cream of the crop of the Republican party. This is who they elevate to one of the highest positions in the country. The Republican party is completely broken.

But hey guys, he wants to take away women's rights over their own bodies. So that's good enough for Republicans.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:43 pm 

Here’s a really convoluted and horrible story. A federal judge just killed a Kentucky law that required abortion clinics to have Emergency Patient Transfer Agreements (EPTA) with hospitals.
https://m.mic.com/articles/amp/191624/f ... n-kentucky

Now at first glance, my reaction was, why would the clinics have ever opposed this law? Any smaller medical centre offering specialized services like this, would likely not have the full range of staff and resources to deal with all possible problems, like a hospital would. Hell, if I have a heart attack at the optometrist’s, they damn well better ship my arse to the hospital! Shame on the abortion clinics for restricting their patients’ care over some silly-ass turf war against the hospitals!

But then, I look into the issue more, and it’s truly disgusting. The abortion clinics were never the problem: it’s the Kentucky hospital CEO’s who have consistently refused to sign EPTA’s with abortion clinics! Hospital CEO’s - who you’d think have the doctor’s obligation to treat anyone in distress - have decided that women whose abortions go awry should be left to die.

So... once the horror of that reality settled in, I’ve come to believe that the law should not have been struck down. It should just have been reworked to punish those who are really responsible for denying women’s health care. Hospital CEO’s who refuse to sign EPTA’s with abortion clinics should face immediate dismissal; possibly even charged with reckless endangerment.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:01 pm 

The GOP has been attempting (and often succeeding) at shutting down abortion clinics on various technicalities like that for ages. They know they can't undo Roe v Wade* so they use other means. Last Week Tonight had a solid episode about that.

*Or, well, can they? Seems likely to happen now if Kavanaugh is confirmed, and I'm not sharing you guys' optimism. Once again women will suffer just so that a powerful man will not be held accountable for his actions. Fuck everything...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:41 pm 

Yep, that kind of shit happens constantly. I can't remember which state it was, but somewhere in the midwest I believe passed a law that effectively banned abortion because it required abortion clinics to have hallways wide enough to fit some sort of moving hospital bed standard, beds which none of the clinics even used.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:51 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Yep, that kind of shit happens constantly. I can't remember which state it was, but somewhere in the midwest I believe passed a law that effectively banned abortion because it required abortion clinics to have hallways wide enough to fit some sort of moving hospital bed standard, beds which none of the clinics even used.

Yep. And when one clinic did comply to their ridiculous arbitrary rules, they still invented new ones to fuck them over and force them to close.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:20 am 

Morrigan wrote:
The GOP has been attempting (and often succeeding) at shutting down abortion clinics on various technicalities like that for ages. They know they can't undo Roe v Wade* so they use other means. Last Week Tonight had a solid episode about that.

*Or, well, can they? Seems likely to happen now if Kavanaugh is confirmed, and I'm not sharing you guys' optimism. Once again women will suffer just so that a powerful man will not be held accountable for his actions. Fuck everything...

Which, typical with the GOP these days, works against them in the long run. When these powerful men are creating illegitimate babies with their mistresses, an abortion is actually the best solution for some of them, and indeed, there are reports of those who have been anti-abortion zealots who have been caught prompted mistresses to have fucking abortions. If those women can't have them, then the men will have to be held accountable for their cheating once a living baby is in the fucking picture.

I think at the end of the day, to be a Republican is to be at all times at odds with reality. They claim to believe in lofty "ideals" that even they cannot live up to. But I guess, despite how fucking frustrating this is for the rest of us to put up with, should we really be surprised? They believe in fantasies and mythology as facts. Hypocrisy and lies are the norm.

This is getting to the point that I think the only thing that will make Republicans change their fucking minds are if women and people on the left start buying guns in record numbers just to lay in the threat of an actual violent uprising. If the left consistently fails at one thing, it's at allowing the opposition to run roughshod over them at every point. Republicans are a bunch of entitled shits who clearly have no fear of the real majority in this country, and that real majority needs to start giving a fuck.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:56 am 

Quote:
This is getting to the point that I think the only thing that will make Republicans change their fucking minds are if women and people on the left start buying guns in record numbers just to lay in the threat of an actual violent uprising.

This will never happen.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:40 am 

A man can dream though, right?

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:27 pm 

Collins has put out a statement that the FBI investigation is "very thorough" and doesn't corroborate Ford's allegations, so I suppose that's the last nail in the coffin for any prospect of her (or Murkowski) voting against confirmation.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:37 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Quote:
This is getting to the point that I think the only thing that will make Republicans change their fucking minds are if women and people on the left start buying guns in record numbers just to lay in the threat of an actual violent uprising.

This will never happen.

Of course it won't. We'll have illegal back-alley abortions, women as second-class citizens, and a theocratic dictatorship first.

The only people here galvanized to defend their rights are the right-wing males who already have them all.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:38 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
Collins has put out a statement that the FBI investigation is "very thorough" and doesn't corroborate Ford's allegations, so I suppose that's the last nail in the coffin for any prospect of her (or Murkowski) voting against confirmation.

So his totally biased behavior isn't enough to illustrate he's unfit for the position? I've been trying not to use this word anymore, but, are all of these people fucking retarded?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:49 pm 

I don't even know why I let myself entertain the possibility Kavanaugh wouldn't get confirmed. I'd put money down that the final vote will end directly on party lines, with 51-49 in favor. Sickening.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:56 pm 

I think it was pretty much over the moment the focus became something almost impossible to prove rather than Kavanaugh's obviously-shady finances, which could have easily been illuminated with a few subpoenas. You never know exactly what a subpoena will turn up, but whatever it was would have been concrete (bank transfers, tax records, etc) and recent (his huge debts magically disappeared within the last year). Instead Dems focused on the Ford allegation because it made for better headlines and played well with the base, and now it appears they will have nothing to show for it.

I feel it's worth noting that Mitch McConnell pushed Trump to consider someone other than Kavanaugh earlier in the summer---before he knew anything about Ford. Kavanaugh has other skeletons in the closet and the Senate knows it; it would have been nice if even one person had thought to ask about those instead of, uh, quoting a high school yearbook.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:45 am 

I don't really buy the "Mitch McConnell didn't want this guy" and the "This was Trump's choice, not the Republicans!" argument. I don't think that's true at all. Trump likes him for his statements on presidential power -- and honestly, no Republican-leaning Supreme Court would disagree there and punish a sitting Republican President no matter what we think -- but the Republicans like him because he's a Yale graduate, just like many of them, being groomed to be a partisan judge. He's been one of the party's preferred Supreme Court candidates for a while now, and was largely seen as Kennedy's eventual successor by the party long before Kennedy decided to step down; being Kennedy's past pupil that makes sense. He is your typical establishment candidate.

If necessary, they may ditch him now due to the baggage and outcry against him, but he was definitely the party's man. And frankly, without #metoo I figure the Republicans expected any similar allegations of sexual misconduct would be a repeat of Clarence Thomas. They're mad now because it wasn't an easy confirmation like they hoped and expected. Whether or not it's Kavanaugh who gets confirmed, they will still ram someone through, and that someone could easily be more dogmatically ideological (ie. worse). If Kavanaugh doesn't get confirmed, I could totally see the Republicans retaliating as that's their MO, and they're more than prepared to offer a good "fuck you" to the Democrats: "Oh you thought Kavanaugh was bad, how about [insert really shitty bible belter] instead."

There's nothing positive that will come out of this, one way or another.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:11 am 

Did y'all see the president claim the sexual assault survivors rallying in DC were paid off by George Soros? :lol: I mean seriously now, if this had been in a spec script for The West Wing, Sorkin would've thrown it in the trash and then had the writer blacklisted for being terrible.

Couldn't really disagree more with Derigin here, there's enough #theresistance republicans like Flake and Sasse to effectively block someone worse than Kavanaugh. The Federalist Society has been pumping out judges materially indistinct from Kavanaugh for decades now, biding their time for the eventual takeover of a Republican administration and senate to secure a conservative majority on the court. The notion that he's this unique, highly decorated and widely-known Supreme Court candidate isn't really reflective of reality.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:25 am 

LOL, I never indicated at all that he's some "unique or highly-decorated" Supreme Court candidate. He's just your run-of-the-mill typical Republican partisan Supreme Court "papabile" who was next in line and long expected to become a Supreme Court judge eventually. But being a typical establishment candidate, there's far worse options that Republicans could choose, and no doubt they have such options waiting just in case Kavanaugh loses and they want to really stick it to the Democrats. That's just how the Republicans work. They run on revenge -- not rationality, or compromise, or making a fair deal.

As far as the #theresistance Republicans go... meh. At the end of the day, Republicans toe the party line. Thinking that they won't vote for their party's candidate, and will instead risk their party's dream Republican-dominated Supreme Court, is like wishing for unicorns. Republicans aren't Democrats. They don't think like Democrats, and we really need to remember that.

EDIT: And as I wrote this, the Senate just pushed through the last remaining hurdle to a final confirmation vote this weekend.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:16 pm 

And not along party lines. Manchin voted to advance the vote and Murkowski voted to block it.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:41 pm 

Dianne Feinstein’s thoughts on the FBI’s not-sure-if-serious investigation of Brett Kavanaugh:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... ?_amp=true
For the FBI to claim they investigated the Kavanaugh rape question, [i]without speaking to either accuser or accused[i]; hell, Sen. Feinstein is soft-pedalling when she calls it “incomplete”. This approaches Warren Commission levels of half-assedness. And quite likely, half-assedness ordered from higher offices.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:04 pm 

So Manchin (the DINO) is a yes, as is Susan Collins (cue that Last Week Tonight gag about her). Murkowski is a no, but that's not enough even if Manchin voted no too.

It's over. A violent drunk rapist is getting on the Supreme Court and will serve on it for decades.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:19 pm 

Of course Manchin waited until after Collins announced her decision to announce his. I suppose there's something to be said for voting in accordance with the constituents you represent, not so much for cravenly seeking political cover for your choices (not that he's the first politician to ever do that...)

Meanwhile, Sarah Palin seems to be hinting she'll challenge Murkowski in the 2022 primary over Murkowski's vote today.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:21 pm 

Shit, this is so depressing. This is how humanity is going to end, and we're not going to put up enough of a fight.

Last FM

darkhness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:38 pm 

Looks like Kavanaugh will be getting appointed. WH says they have the votes.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:48 pm 

I would ask men who ask the "why didn't they come forward sooner" question about survivors: do you maybe start to get it now? We live in a time where someone like Brock Turner - who was caught IN THE ACT, mind you - gets a slap on the wrist for rape. And if you happen to come out against a man who wields power, or is a person who has powerful/influential friends, you become a target for death threats and become the butt of jokes, ala Trump at his recent Nuremberg rally. This whole Kavanaugh process is a complete disgrace.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:08 pm 

Impeachment over perjury? That's about all there is left. Won't happen anytime soon of course.

So what's first on the chopping block, bodily autonomy or gay marriage? Hey, maybe they'll give us a package deal! I'd actually be in favor of classifying weed as a schedule I narcotic, watch the libertarians have some buyer's remorse for a change.

And speaking of, hi capeda, I'm sure you're reading this right now. Collect the salt while you can, we've got a nice spot picked out for you in the gulag but you'll have to bring your own garnishes.

darkhness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:11 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
So what's first on the chopping block, bodily autonomy or gay marriage? Hey, maybe they'll give us a package deal! I'd actually be in favor of classifying weed as a schedule I narcotic, watch the libertarians have some buyer's remorse for a change.

I don't think it's gonna be THAT bad my guy.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:48 pm 

I don't expect much if anything from the GOP at this point other than kissing Trump's ring, but my biggest takeaway from this is once Trump is gone and this particular nightmare is over every single Dem on the judiciary committee needs to be primaried the fuck out of office. We could have had documentary evidence of financial illegality or at minimum irregularity, easily obtained via subpoenas, but that would have meant less attention-grabbing headlines, fewer outraged donors making campaign donations, and fewer alternatives for committee Dems to cash in their MeToo bonafides.

Instead, we had (on the one hand) an intense focus on an allegation they knew ahead of time would be impossible to prove and (on the other hand) a circus of high school yearbook gossip about threesomes and boofing. One of these lines of inquiry was manifestly destined to yield nothing concrete; the other was irrelevant.

One subpoena of his banking records from January 2017 until August 2018, and another of his banking records from January 2005 to December 2006. That's it. That's all it would have taken to sink him. According to his financial disclosures, Kavanaugh bought a million-dollar house in 2006 with less than 70k in liquid assets. In 2018 he erased 200k of debt all at once on a household income of about 260k, while also spending 30k on tuition for his kids and country club annual dues. He obviously had an off-the-books revenue source, even if it wasn't steady.

^That is how they could have sunk him. Something verifiable, with paper trails. They knew this, and they ignored it, and now they have nothing to show for it. But they'll huff and they'll puff about how they stood up to him.

Derigin wrote:
I don't really buy the "Mitch McConnell didn't want this guy" and the "This was Trump's choice, not the Republicans!" argument.

McConnell told multiple people at the White House that he thought Kavanaugh would be hard to confirm and he named two other easier alternatives. He knew Kavanaugh was a circus waiting to happen and he wanted to avoid it.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:00 am 

I think I'm becoming more convinced that having progressive thoughts and ideas in this day and age is just pointless, based on a general observation that ultimately people don't have the will to fight for them.

I've also come up with the view that even if things decline enough to provoke a large scale crisis and more sensible ways of thinking, people will just forget about the lessons and return to selfish modes like they did in the eighties, leading to more decline and the cycle repeating. So in that case what even is the point of trying to make things better? Ultimately it won't last.

I've had these thoughts on and off for decades but I think they might be completely taking over my psyche now.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:02 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
One subpoena of his banking records from January 2017 until August 2018, and another of his banking records from January 2005 to December 2006. That's it. That's all it would have taken to sink him.

What makes you think this would have made a difference? The GOP is an expert at downplaying, defending, and spinning literally anything. They had the votes, paper trails and subpoenas would have changed shit.

Look at all the overwhelming evidence of Trump's crimes. Look at how literally nothing sticks, and nothing happens, ever.

Your government is a cesspool of blatant, breath-taking corruption, where the "checks and balances" don't matter.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkhness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:05 pm 

It's official, Kavanaugh has been confirmed.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:53 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Your government is a cesspool of blatant, breath-taking corruption, where the "checks and balances" don't matter.

Yeah the Founding Fathers didn't really foresee party loyalty eclipsing loyalty to everything else - they actually thought that politicians would be MORE selfish, that the senators would be pulling for more power for the Senate, that the President would be trying to get more power for himself, etc. The idea that Congress would abdicate power as a check on another branch of government in order to grant more power to their party as a whole was foreign to them.

The problem now is, any time one party passes some sort of thing to ram through their agenda while they're in power, the minute the other party is in power, they take advantage of whatever the last party did to ram their own agenda through, and it just keeps going. Back in 2013 the Democrats changed the necessary vote from 60 to a simple majority, which is the only reason now that Kavanaugh was able to squeak through. And that cat is out of the bag now - it's never going back to the way it was.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:51 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:
One subpoena of his banking records from January 2017 until August 2018, and another of his banking records from January 2005 to December 2006. That's it. That's all it would have taken to sink him.

What makes you think this would have made a difference? The GOP is an expert at downplaying, defending, and spinning literally anything. They had the votes, paper trails and subpoenas would have changed shit.

Look at all the overwhelming evidence of Trump's crimes. Look at how literally nothing sticks, and nothing happens, ever.

They wouldn't have had the votes if they had evidence of financial illegality, which you can get with subpoenas. Kavanaugh isn't the president.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 227  Next