Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:12 pm 

How easy is it to move from iTunes to another platform? I was given an iPod many years ago when I first got into music and have been stuck ever since. I've got a 32 gig iPod touch which is slowly reaching its limit and eventually I'll need to upgrade. There are a few great looking alternatives posted in this thread but I'm concerned that the transition from iTunes will be a great hassle...

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:19 pm 

When you say platform are you talking about the computer or mp3 player?

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:33 pm 

Sorry, platform probably wasn't the proper word. I meant the music library software that'd be used instead of iTunes. Do these players have their own software or do folks use Windows Media Player or...? While iTunes can be installed on a PC, I don't believe you can sync non-Apple players with iTunes.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:50 pm 

Well I have a AGPTEK Bluetooth MP3 Player Rocker V2 and I use it on a Dell. All you really need to do is drag the content to the USB drive or the drive that supports the mp3 player. iTunes, Windows Media or any kind of library software is not necessary. However, a non-apple device will not work on iTunes. So basically, all you need to do is drag the music to a certain drive and that's it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:25 pm 

Yeah, outside the world of Apple you just...do things. The files are on the computer. You put them in your mp3 player and then play them.

When I listen to music on my PC I use Winamp.

If all of your music is on your Mac I have no idea how to help you. I actually had all of my music in my computer years ago, then the hard drive died, so my whole digital collection existed only in my iPod. When I got a new PC, I tried to copy the music from my iPod to the PC only to find out that Apple conveniently renames all of the files to nonsense and puts them in indecipherable hidden folders. They only want you using their shit and not having any normal access to what you actually have.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:41 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
If all of your music is on your Mac I have no idea how to help you. I actually had all of my music in my computer years ago, then the hard drive died, so my whole digital collection existed only in my iPod. When I got a new PC, I tried to copy the music from my iPod to the PC only to find out that Apple conveniently renames all of the files to nonsense and puts them in indecipherable hidden folders. They only want you using their shit and not having any normal access to what you actually have.

So, fuck those companies that treat us like idiots. :finger:

zen3001
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:32 pm 

What's wrong with using these modern touch screen mobiles?
I have all my music on my smasung and it sounds just fine, google play detects and organizes everything properly

Doors of Stone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:46 am 

zen3001 wrote:
I have all my music on my smasung and it sounds just fine, google play detects and organizes everything properly

Sometimes it's just easier to have a MP3 player. For example, I could use one when I'm travelling. I'm on the road for nine hours at least and if I use my phone to listen to music, my battery is depleted faster. Also, my phone can't charge fast, so it takes a long time to charge battery. With a MP3 player, I could listen to music without depleting my phone's battery. That's an advantage I can think of and I'm sure there are more situations where a MP3 player has an advantage over the phone.

zen3001
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:46 am 

another thing that just came into my mind is space, I have only 16gb on my device and about 4 gb have been used with only 6 albums, leaving less space for a few other things I need sometimes

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:37 am 

zen3001 wrote:

I NEVER had a mobile that sounded DECENT:
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com/2015/04/idiotphones.html

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2