Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:24 pm 

Why don't we have a talk about "Philosophy of the World", The Shaggs' only album, released in 1969?

For those who don't know it, this is the most random album in the entire history of rock probably. It's quite hard to listen to this music and even harder to enjoy it, but there's something about this that makes it truly interesting, I don't know if it's the awful quality of the audio (it was 1969 anyways), the nonsensical compositions, or just the fact the three sisters that recorded this had actually no idea on how to compose a song.

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:54 pm 

I first heard this, or most of it anyway, on a local radio show in the early 90s. I remember telling a friend at the time it was the worst music I'd ever heard.

It really isn't though. I mean, it's terrible, but I think it's a case of the story behind the group giving it context and helping you make sense of why it turned out the way it did. Given that context, it all becomes rather endearing in its own way. It's a classic example of the addage that you can't force talent; these three girls were basically forced into playing music by their dad, and, well, it turned out, unsurprisingly, to be pretty much directionless nonsense.

I love the story of the producer having to repeatedly stop the tape because the guitarist said she made a mistake, and he finally came up with an exasperated "how can you even tell?"
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:44 pm 

Rather than slog into the album if anyone is curious check out their... um, hit?, "My Pal Foot Foot"

Like Abominatrix said, the context explains a lot. In that way it's actually kind of interesting. Unquestionably awful, but they did have their own befuddling internal cohesion. I've actually listened to a couple of their songs a fair bit ("Who are parents" is quite something, especially given their weird ass father who made them do this) and there is something curious and fascinating about it. Like, you could get a bunch of shit musicians together to make shitty music, but possibly something about their isolation and being sisters makes it feel like it actually made some sense to them, even if that's mostly indiscernible to any listener. Like the bizarre "drum solo" that opens "My Pal Foot Foot". It's baffling and aimless, but then they all just pick up and start the song like it's just what you do in a band.

Weird, super bad, but interesting given their story. I don't know if there is a that much to say here that a bunch of people haven't already written, but it's worthy curiosity for anyone who's never heard them.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:58 pm 

There have been some bands over the years- Brazil's Exterminator is one of them- that are literally the "Shaggs of Death Metal." Listen to the Exterminator "Total Extermination" album and hear a complete lack of coherent riffs, song structure, or any sense that all three guys are actually playing the same song.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:18 pm 

These women are from NH, where I sort of lived, so my aunt met these women somewhere a while back. She told me, and she hadn't of heard their music, despite having a good relationship with them.

Needless to say, it was funny showing her My Pal fot foot the first time

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:34 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
These women are from NH, where I sort of lived, so my aunt met these women somewhere a while back. She told me, and she hadn't of heard their music, despite having a good relationship with them.

Needless to say, it was funny showing her My Pal fot foot the first time

Awesome. What was her reaction? :lol:
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:56 am 

It's pretty popular on RYM, I dunno, I feel sorry for them. They're making a weird fetish of some poor girls' traumatic experience growing up.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:01 pm 

The YouTube comments discussing My Pal Foot Foot are make for hilarious reading. Many go so far to praise their "virtuoso" musicianship.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Reply to topic