Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:40 pm 

A kicker only has one goddamn job to do..

The Ravens lost this one more than the Pats won it.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:46 pm 

Just lost a bet to my friend over the Ravens/Patriots game. I only owe her a beer, but damn I would have had fun bugging her about it if the Patriots lost.

brmln
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:51 pm 

Well, that was a huge fucking disappointment. I'm going to be pissed if Flacco gets any crap from the media. He played a great game. This was all Lee Evans and Billy Cundiff's fault. Talk about anti-clutch.

Lex Dangler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:08 pm 

I hate the Patriots and how their cheating in the past helped them win championships (Same with the steroid geeked Red Sox). I wanted so much to pick the Ravens for this game, but in the end chose the Patriots because they were either 5-1 or 6-1 against the Ravens going into this game and that is with Brady playing less than stellar in those wins. Basically, the Ravens find ways to lose to the Patriots and the failure on Special Teams is another blow.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:15 pm 

Yeah there are a lot of people flipping out on Facebook saying it should have been a TD catch with Evans right before the Norwood shank, but he obviously didn't have complete control of the ball if he couldn't hold on to it for more than a nanosecond. I'm bummed, but what can you do? That was the Ravens' game to lose at the end there, and they blew it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:22 pm 

Lex Dangler wrote:
I hate the Patriots and how their cheating in the past helped them win championships (Same with the steroid geeked Red Sox).

:violin: Not at all. It might have helped them get to one, but remember, they won 3. Regarding the Sox, c'mon man, every team was on 'roids then. It's just a matter of who was caught. A-Rod was juiced when the Yankees won, and I can guarantee each winning WS team from about 1997 to 2008 had at least a few players that were doing it.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:37 pm 

I personally can't stand that "everybody does it" excuse like that suddenly makes it okay to cheat. But with that said I dropped that accusation after they lost the Super Bowl in the best fashion possible. It was a perfect underdog movie and we saw it happen in real life, that's what made it so perfect. If they get a rematch and win this time, we'll never hear the end of the GAH SEE WE GOT REVENGE NOW LUCK DIDN'T SAVE YOU THIS TIME WE'RE THE BEST EVER RAGGABLAGGAPLOORR, and if the Giants win that rematch we'll never hear the end of GAH SEE WE WERE ALWAYS THE BETTER TEAM WE GOT YOUR NUMBER WE'RE THE BEST UNDERDOGS EVER RAKKATAKKARAKKATAKKA. Whoever wins that matchup will be the most annoying team for the next decade, so go San Fran. The 49ers can't get any respect, they were expected to lose every game all season and were favored to lose both postseason games despite being the higher seed. That's what the Bears go through every year, whether we're good or not, so I can relate to that.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Lex Dangler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:47 pm 

^^They got caught cheating in 2007 when they were filming Jets defensive signals. Subsequently, the NFL conducted their own investigation (a conflict of interest fueled by fear of losing major endorsements) and eventually penalized the Pats and Belichick. They won all their dubious Superbowls prior to 2007.

I do agree with you that virtually every team from 1997 until 2008 had players in baseball juicing. As a Tigers fan, I can tell you that we had a minor league player whose name I can't recall on steroids and Pudge was held in suspicion and indirectly admitted using them. Cheating, like stealing signals, happens, but the steroid era in baseball is a damned shame and cheating across the league does not make winning championships acceptable. They should strip teams in any league of their championship title and strip players like Bonds of individual awards. Bonds or Clemons not getting into the Hall of Fame is brilliant. I find it sickening that the NFL pimps Belichick like Jesus on their network even after he cheated.

Last edited by Lex Dangler on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:48 pm 

I was using the "everybody does it" argument to make the point that you can't single out a team or a player like that. I obviously agree with you guys that it's never okay to cheat in the first place. I also agree the 49ers get no respect, rooting for them big time in this game.

Lex Dangler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:17 pm 

The 49ers get no respect because their division is weak and their overall 2011 schedule was weak because they finished 6-10 last year. So they benefit from strength of schedule, but they proved last weak against the Saints (soft defense like the Packers) that they can win so lets see what happens.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:42 pm 

They're not a sexy team, they don't have a standout superstar like other good teams, so they're often overlooked. Yeah they play the worst division in football, I'll concede that, but they were pretty well dominant and beat plenty of great teams, so it's a bit unfair for them to be passed over so much.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:26 pm 

Yesss, my Pats are back in the big game. I'm kinda hoping for a rematch against the Giants, minus all of the super glue on David Tyree's helmet.

Bruins got the top spot in the East today too with a tough win over the Flyers, so there's another plus to my day. We need to tighten up a little bit in our defensive zone, but I'm confident we can keep the ball rolling. Hopefully we don't face anymore bullshit suspensions like the one Brendan "I absolutely hate the game of hockey" Shannahan gave Andrew Ference.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:31 pm 

Fuck everything, fuck the Super Bowl, fuck you all, I'm not watching.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:50 pm 

I just heard a sound similar to the wind blowing through the trees, only it wasn't the wind...and there were no trees. It was the sound of blood rushing to fill the porous tissue in the collective boner of every Ole Miss fan in my area (Jackson, MS). I bet if I stand outside and yell ELI! at the top of my lungs, it will start "snowing".

Lex Dangler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:41 am 

BastardHead wrote:
They're not a sexy team, they don't have a standout superstar like other good teams, so they're often overlooked. Yeah they play the worst division in football, I'll concede that, but they were pretty well dominant and beat plenty of great teams, so it's a bit unfair for them to be passed over so much.

Also, they are average in the red zone, lost to the Cardinals and Cowboys (sub par and average teams), lost to the Ravens and beat a Giants team (regular season) late in the game after they were given numerous gifts via turnovers.

I hate the 49ers, but they should be good again next year. They will have a slightly tougher schedule due to being division winners that went to the NFC Championship game, but playing in really weak division will help.

Lex Dangler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:43 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Fuck everything, fuck the Super Bowl, fuck you all, I'm not watching.

Fuck you too. Good that you won't watch it. Live up to your words and avoid watching the game at all costs. Special Teams are a fucking bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:50 am 

Ironic that special teams were the determining factor in BOTH teams losing today; that's the one aspect of the game that is all too overlooked. My thoughts are, first of all it's been mentioned that yes, a kicker has only one job to do and at this level of play, missing an easy chip-shot field goal is inexcusable. This is not Kyle Brotzman or Justin Williamson here- these guys make the pros and are getting paid big bucks for a reason. Secondly, how can one guy seriously fuck up fielding a punt TWICE IN ONE GAME with everything on the line, basically handing the game to the opponent? That guy should go back to washing cars, cooking fries, or whatever else he did before turning pro; sorry but, well, I don't feel sorry for the guy; he's a professional, getting paid big bucks, he failed to do his job at even a modest level of competancy, ergo he sucks, simple fact. And thirdly, Alex Smith is simply not a championship-level quarterback and never will be. He has improved a lot this year to be fair. But unless the 49ers upgrade at the quarterback position they will never win a championship.

Lex Dangler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:25 am 

Those Special Teams players in today's games were definitely not clutch. Hell, the hold was slightly botched in the Giants game and Tynes got it through and don't forget he had his own clutch problems in 2008. You gotta be mentally tough in the big game or you'll end up like Lebron James - King of the Regular Season!!!!!

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:18 am 

Superbowl 42 2: Revenge of the Patriots!

Seriously though, c'mon Giants, you killed there thunder 4 years ago, you can do it again.

SmithMetal84
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:38 pm 

Yay Patriots.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:17 pm 

Really hope the Giants beat the Patriots.

The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:54 pm 

Man, are people still hung up on the Patriots "cheating"? Let's get this all straight. Fact: A Patriots cameraman was caught filming in an area he was not allowed to film in. Fact: What he was filming is not against the rules. Fact: The NFL commissioner even came out and said what the Patriots had filmed gave them no competitive advantage over the other team.

They paid fines because a cameraman was standing out of place. Go ahead and call them cheaters all you want. But if you get busted doing something that doesn't even give you an advantage, can you even call it cheating? They broke the rules. They paid the fines. They moved on.

The Giants, on the other hand, got busted faking injuries so they could have more time and cool down the other team. Now that's some serious cheating in my book.

If you don't like the Pats because they win all the time, that's fine. Don't like them. But don't be an ignorant fool and call them a bunch of cheaters. Teams have been busted for doing way worse, and nobody cares. As a matter of fact, the Jets got busted doing the exact same thing against them, and nobody gives a shit. Including any Pats fans I've talked to.

And for what it's worth, Pats and Giants fans are both an obnoxious bunch in general. Especially when both teams play each other. Just saying...

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:57 pm 

Dem Pats be trollin'.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:01 pm 

I used to like Tim Thomas but he's being a fat twat by refusing to go the White house because he's a republican.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Lex Dangler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:53 pm 

The Orange Man wrote:
Man, are people still hung up on the Patriots "cheating"? Let's get this all straight. Fact: A Patriots cameraman was caught filming in an area he was not allowed to film in. Fact: What he was filming is not against the rules. Fact: The NFL commissioner even came out and said what the Patriots had filmed gave them no competitive advantage over the other team.

They paid fines because a cameraman was standing out of place. Go ahead and call them cheaters all you want. But if you get busted doing something that doesn't even give you an advantage, can you even call it cheating? They broke the rules. They paid the fines. They moved on.

The Giants, on the other hand, got busted faking injuries so they could have more time and cool down the other team. Now that's some serious cheating in my book.

If you don't like the Pats because they win all the time, that's fine. Don't like them. But don't be an ignorant fool and call them a bunch of cheaters. Teams have been busted for doing way worse, and nobody cares. As a matter of fact, the Jets got busted doing the exact same thing against them, and nobody gives a shit. Including any Pats fans I've talked to.

And for what it's worth, Pats and Giants fans are both an obnoxious bunch in general. Especially when both teams play each other. Just saying...

Cheating is still cheating and nobody will ever know the complete truth because the NFL conducted their own investigation, which is a conflict of interest because they knew the league could be marred horribly and lose millions in endorsement dollars. By comparison, if you got caught cheating on your taxes, do you really think the Internal Revenue Service would let you conduct your own investigation into improprieties regarding possible tax evasion?

Belichick was fined $500,000 and the Pats lost their First Round Draft Pick. Furthermore, their are allegations going back to 2001 that the Patriots taped the Rams practice, but the tapes were destroyed like something out of the Iran-Contra Scandal when Oliver North had everything shredded. So yeah, there is a smoking gun, and the NFL covered their asses and turned Belichick into Football Christ on their Network, but he is a cheating sack of shit whose moral compass is only overshadowed by scum like Barry Bonds, Pete Rose, Jerry Sandusky, and that dead pig Joe Paterno.

As to the Giants faking injury, they are the team that got caught, but not they are not the only team to fake including the Patriots. They deserve punishment as do any other team that breaks the rules for faking an injury, but at least they didn't win their Superbowls by stealing signals and taping practice. And yeah people do care, that is why the NFL did their own investigation and carried through with swift justice so that the Senate wouldn't conduct more than a perfunctory "dog and pony show" investigation. By further comparison, Tim Donaghy got nailed for fixing NBA games he refereed. Now the NBA, like the MLB, is scrutinized for its integrity, which is another thing the NFL did not want and why they busted Belichick and the Patriots. As to endorsements, well, just look at all those stupid Superbowl commercials and various other dumb commercial throughout the year during football to see exactly what the NFL feared losing. The NFL is big time money and Belichick and the Pats got away with their crimes because yokels buy everything in our nifty capitalist system.

Links:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3018338

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3227245

http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/timestopics/people/d/tim_donaghy/index.html

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:23 pm 

In order to be a football fan, you have to think the Patriots are dirty cheaters. I mean, how else would they have made it to the Super Bowl again? It surely can't be the coaching, because Belichick cheated. Did I mention he cheated one time? Yeah, he funneled illegal cameramen out of his dick and put them on the Jets sideline and filmed what anybody with standard cable and a good eye could possibly make out. And they DEFINITELY aren't winning because of the players they have. I mean, Tom Brady? It's all luck, and I hear Belichick made a microchip and inserted it into Brady's spine so he could play the position better than just about anybody in the history of the league. What's that other guy they have on their team? Dronbowskli...Ponkrowsbli...Kron ah fuck it it doesn't matter anyways, he's just tall and has big hands, which is cheating. In conclusion, the Patriots are cheaters, and if you don't think so, then you obviously are an idiot and should be watching curling instead.

cheating cheating cheating cheating cheating cheating

Lex Dangler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:27 pm 

^ Sarcasm for the sake of sarcasm. I am saying they likely cheated between 2001 and 2007 when they won 3 Superbowls. When they lost their perfect season to the Giants in the Superbowl they were not cheating and likely haven't been since then. When he was defensive coordinator for the Giants between 1979 and 1990 he likely did not cheat. And when he was a failed Head Coach with the Browns from 1991 to 1995 he obviously did not cheat due to his 36-44 record. So can he beat the Giants in another Superbowl attempt without cheating? Well, that remains to be seen, but if he does win, it will go a long way toward helping the NFL further perpetuate his lame legacy while making sarcastic fans that can't accept the truth forget Belichick is a cheater.

brmln
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:04 am 

I guess I'll be rooting for the Pats. Brady is a former Michigan Wolverine, so I've gotta like him. Gronkowski helped win me some cash in fantasy football so I have to like him as well, haha. Plus, I can't stand Eli Manning or the media's love affair with him.

Hopefully the Ravens can dump Cam Cameron and fix their awful offensive line in the offseason.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:58 pm 

brmln wrote:
I guess I'll be rooting for the Pats. Brady is a former Michigan Wolverine, so I've gotta like him.

Still hard to believe he was a sixth round pick. Mostly had to do with Lloyd Carr logjamming him behind scrubs like Drew Henson and Brian Griese. And contrary to popular belief, he was already being groomed as the Pats' quarterback of the future before Drew Bledsoe went down.

Indy keeping No.18 is looking less likely by the day. I'm holding out hope he will go to The Cardinals which would be an excellent fit for him and they have already shown interest in him although my money is on him ending up in KC.. assuming he'll be healthy enough to play next season.

brmln
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:30 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
brmln wrote:
I guess I'll be rooting for the Pats. Brady is a former Michigan Wolverine, so I've gotta like him.

Still hard to believe he was a sixth round pick. Mostly had to do with Lloyd Carr logjamming him behind scrubs like Drew Henson and Brian Griese. And contrary to popular belief, he was already being groomed as the Pats' quarterback of the future before Drew Bledsoe went down.

Indy keeping No.18 is looking less likely by the day. I'm holding out hope he will go to The Cardinals which would be an excellent fit for him and they have already shown interest in him although my money is on him ending up in KC.. assuming he'll be healthy enough to play next season.

Drew Henson was definitely not a scrub. He was a great player, but leaving football to play baseball kind of ruined his career. He never panned out and ended up sitting on the Dallas Cowboys' bench as a backup QB for a little while before disappearing.

That being said, Carr never should have made Brady split time with Henson. Brady should have been the full-time starter, with Henson becoming the starter when he graduated. Griese was average, but Brady was still pretty young then, so Griese getting the starts was understandable. They won a national title with Griese at the helm, so it's hard to argue with Carr's decision to start him.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:47 pm 

I saw the "Donovan vs Dempsey" match today, as the media was calling it. A good contest. However, certainly not the best performance by either team. In the end Donovan's crosses enough to make the difference. On a side note; I just learned that the US centerback Tim Ream has been signed by Bolton, which is great news. Hopefully he won't fail out, of course.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:42 pm 

Hats off to the Pats, and I don't even like them, but they did a hell of a job tonight. That was also very ballsy in letting the Giants have the touchdown. In the end, the Giants pulled through and with casulties, they had like 4 players helped off the field. I can't think of a better ending to a game then that hail marry. Also, thank you Cee Lo Green for adding something worthwhile to the half time show.

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:12 am 

Fun game.

I attend the university whose campus hotel hosted the Patriots during their stay in Indy. I think I deserve some Internet cool points for that.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:05 am 

That 4th quarter was just amazing all around, last few seconds were really tense, if that pass was completed, legendary :)

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:58 am 

Aurone wrote:
Hats off to the Pats

I don't think they'll be taking a bow this morning.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:54 pm 

Ok game, whatever, I wanted the Patriots to win. The halftime show was awesome though! A full stage production beats some geriatric on a guitar playing medleys of songs any day. I'm not the biggest Madonna fan but she did a very good job and i hope future halftime shows are like this one.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:42 pm 

Aurone wrote:
That was also very ballsy in letting the Giants have the touchdown

I personally believe that there is a very thin line between an abundance of balls and a lack of brains, and allowing the opposing team to take a 4 point lead in the final minute of the game instead of attempting a goal line stand for the win is completely and utterly fucking stupid. I get their mentality, give Brady more time to work with for a miracle drive, but that's still a massive, massive risk that isn't worth taking. Regardless, that drive was most likely going to come down to a hail mary anyway if they had to go for it, whether they had 57 seconds or 20. Granted, Welker and Hernandez dropping passes certainly didn't help them any, and if that last pass would have deflected off of any one more person or body part, Gronk would have caught it and been the Patriots' version of Tyree. The Pats played hard though, I just think the couple extremely stupid mistakes early on (the intentional grounding, the too many men on the field) just wound up hurting them too much and throwing them off balance too early. That said, the Giants were trying pretty damn hard to give them the game with equally stupid mistakes in the last half.

Either way they both suck, GO WHALERS.

misogynisticfeminist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:11 am 

One day closer to Spring training!

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:07 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Aurone wrote:
That was also very ballsy in letting the Giants have the touchdown

I personally believe that there is a very thin line between an abundance of balls and a lack of brains, and allowing the opposing team to take a 4 point lead in the final minute of the game instead of attempting a goal line stand for the win is completely and utterly fucking stupid. I get their mentality, give Brady more time to work with for a miracle drive, but that's still a massive, massive risk that isn't worth taking. Regardless, that drive was most likely going to come down to a hail mary anyway if they had to go for it, whether they had 57 seconds or 20. Granted, Welker and Hernandez dropping passes certainly didn't help them any, and if that last pass would have deflected off of any one more person or body part, Gronk would have caught it and been the Patriots' version of Tyree. The Pats played hard though, I just think the couple extremely stupid mistakes early on (the intentional grounding, the too many men on the field) just wound up hurting them too much and throwing them off balance too early. That said, the Giants were trying pretty damn hard to give them the game with equally stupid mistakes in the last half.

I kinda like the decision, actually. Realistically, the Pats were pretty screwed either way, but I'd say there's a better chance of Tom Brady, possibly one of the best quarterbacks of all-time, leading his team down the field in a minute for a touchdown than the Giants missing a chip-shot with 15 seconds or so to go. It isn't the traditional call or anything, but I've always wondered why more coaches don't try that in a similar situation.

Also, spring training, hell yes. Of course as a Mariners fan I have very little to actually be excited about, but still.

- John Calvin.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:55 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

I hope that happens.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 136  Next