Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:52 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I've done my best to contain my Hollow Knight blog posts. I'm still completely doe-eyed for it. Easily side-by-side with Hyper Light Drifter for my favorite game ever. I've let the Dreamers truly rest and found the Man himself. But I'm hoping there's still SO much left to do. I'm extremely intrigued by the Resting Grounds but that guardian spirit is no joke.

Yeah the game is huge. Explore everything.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:46 am 

^ How's that Octopath Traveler I'm still lusting over?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:38 pm 

So Red Dead Redemption 2 releases today. Everything I've seen about this game so far looks incredible. Unanimously positive reviews as well.

I will be picking it up after work today, anyone else got their hands on it yet?

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:50 pm 

I'm downloading it atm on my PS4. I can't wait to get home from work tomorrow. Red Dead Redemption is my favorite game ever and I've been waiting for another once since 2011. I might call in sick tomorrow...
Fire walk with me"

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:07 pm 

I'm mostly looking forward to the online launch. Being able to cowboy up with my crew from GTA is the big draw for me.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:33 am 

I'm the extreme minority with Red Dead Redemption. I did not like the first game all that much and don't have much interest in the new one.

I think my problems are the same I have with GTA. The game is too massive and along the lines of trying to accomplish everything the game has to offer I lose sight of the actual story line and then just bottom out on the whole thing. But, I'm sure like most GTA games I will succumb to the hype at some point.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:09 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Jonpo wrote:
I've done my best to contain my Hollow Knight blog posts. I'm still completely doe-eyed for it. Easily side-by-side with Hyper Light Drifter for my favorite game ever. I've let the Dreamers truly rest and found the Man himself. But I'm hoping there's still SO much left to do. I'm extremely intrigued by the Resting Grounds but that guardian spirit is no joke.

Yeah the game is huge. Explore everything.

Welp. I accidentally beat it right after reading your post, lol. IN MY DEFENSE 1) I didn't think I would actually win on my first try and 2) I didn't expect the credits to roll right after defeating Him. The ending was actually pretty anticlimactic. I'm hoping with a higher completion % I might get a cooler, more in-depth ending. If not, that's okay. Still a masterful piece of interactive art Team Cherry created.

It's okay though, just reloaded my last save before this mistake. I've been exploring when I get the time, I did find a mini-boss in the Crystal Caves that I had never defeated. I'm 100% sure there's still a special ability somewhere that lets you hop in acid and swim around, because that's the only way I seem to be able to access a few areas I haven't explored yet.

I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH HURTS

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:20 pm 

Don't care about RDR2 either.

But someone gifted me a code of AssCreed Odyssey now so I'm playing that. Just started and for some reason it doesn't feel as engrossing as Origins yet? I'm way early though. Combat seems a bit improved over Origins so that could be cool but I think the Egypt setting really, really sold me on the other game... Greece just isn't as cool :(

Jonpo wrote:
Welp. I accidentally beat it right after reading your post, lol. IN MY DEFENSE 1) I didn't think I would actually win on my first try and 2) I didn't expect the credits to roll right after defeating Him. The ending was actually pretty anticlimactic. I'm hoping with a higher completion % I might get a cooler, more in-depth ending. If not, that's okay. Still a masterful piece of interactive art Team Cherry created.

It's okay though, just reloaded my last save before this mistake. I've been exploring when I get the time, I did find a mini-boss in the Crystal Caves that I had never defeated. I'm 100% sure there's still a special ability somewhere that lets you hop in acid and swim around, because that's the only way I seem to be able to access a few areas I haven't explored yet.

I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH HURTS

Hehehe... I'm pretty sure you didn't actually beat the "last boss" ;) Keep exploring!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Abyss_Raider
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:25 pm 

Oh I had RDR2 installed the second I got it. I'm actually shocked, as this is the first game I've seen whose size is so large it requires two Blu-Rays to download. I'm pretty much having to keep myself from booting it up and playing it instead of doing schoolwork...

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:44 pm 

I've only got to play RDR2 for about 2 hours but I'm already in love. I loved the first game so there was never a doubt there. Absolutely stunningly beautiful game, probably the best looking game I've ever seen.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:18 am 

Anyone playing Dark Souls 1 like for the 5th time again thanks to the switch? It's been ages and this game still holds up, the sequels/bloodborne are great but nothing is quite like the first one, best game ever man.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:49 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
I've only got to play RDR2 for about 2 hours but I'm already in love. I loved the first game so there was never a doubt there. Absolutely stunningly beautiful game, probably the best looking game I've ever seen.

Agreed, it's simply amazing. Lots of details, not all of them essentials, but all of them help creating one of the most believable world in a video game. Oh and that drunken mission is fun as hell!
Fire walk with me"

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:55 pm 

Started playing Dark Souls 2 after already playing 1 and 3. So far it's a OK game, but is easily the worst of the trilogy. For some reason everything seems slow paced and player animations are slower and stiff. Levels also seem a lot uglier and generic, without the inviting and menacing atmosphere of 1 and 3.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:10 pm 

Keeping on the from software theme i've just (finally) started Bloodborne, wich is great as expected and fits perfectly with the october mood

Right now i'm actually completely lost, the city is a maze and i'm pretty wary when moving around :lol:
Right now i've beaten Gascoigne without much problems (got a lucky riposte when he was low on health untrasformed and then threw few molotovs) and now i've finally managed to reach the dick who shots me with a gatling gun.. and he seems unbeatable, for now :)

Still haven't see the Cleric Beast, i tough it was the first boss

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:15 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Still haven't see the Cleric Beast, i tough it was the first boss

I found him after Father G too, but he's actually earlier, yes. Go back to Central Yharnam and explore a bit more. He's technically optional.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:58 pm 

Helldivers dropped a new update for Liberty Day (an in-game holiday that fans actually picked up on, moving developer Arrowhead to base most updates around it), adding a new call-in weapon and increased difficulty. I've run into some of the Year One players again and it's been a blast.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:11 am 

Does anyone in the universe--never mind this thread--still play Point'n'Click Adventure games? I recently got into them again, and my god has their been some absolutely amazing ones that have been released since I stopped following the genre. As far as I'm concerned, Perry Rhodan: The Immortals of Terra, The Whispered World 1 and 2 and Black Mirror 2 and 3 are certified masterpieces of the genre that can stand toe-to-toe with the best from LucasArts and Sierra.

And I still haven't played the Book of Unwritten Tales series, any Wadjet Eye game or anything by Daedalic Entertainment that isn't Whispered World-related! And there are STILL so many more after those!

Even for people who don't like adventure games, Silence: The Whispered World 2 is an essential play, it's a masterpiece.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:38 pm 

Every once in a while I'll try to play a hidden objects game (if those count) but I've never finished one.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:09 pm 

Not really, adventure games are about telling stories through puzzles.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:19 am 

darkeningday wrote:

I used to love playing all these games back in the day, especially the LucasArts games, Monkey Island 2 remains one of my favourite games of all time. About 5 years ago me and mate would play through some others including Black Dahlia and Gabriel Knight 2, both great games.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:55 pm 

HK check-in: I took a break from rampaging all over mini-bosses I never found (Dung Defender, Mommyfluke) to fall into the The White Palace. It's just a big sappy love letter to Super Meat Boy! So fucking cool.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:30 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

I used to love playing all these games back in the day, especially the LucasArts games, Monkey Island 2 remains one of my favourite games of all time. About 5 years ago me and mate would play through some others including Black Dahlia and Gabriel Knight 2, both great games.

Those are both sitting near the top of my lists, though I've heard the difficulty of Black Dahlia is... daunting. I can't believe I've never played anything from the GK series; I've played every Broken Sword game multiple times.

I can strongly recommend Silence: The Whispered World 2 for you, though I'm not sure how good the XBOX ONE version is.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:41 am 

Jonpo wrote:
HK check-in: I took a break from rampaging all over mini-bosses I never found (Dung Defender, Mommyfluke) to fall into the The White Palace. It's just a big sappy love letter to Super Meat Boy! So fucking cool.

I hated that place so much :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:16 pm 

Hahha I mean it's a bitch don't get me wrong, I haven't conquered it yet. It was just such a surprise. The whole area is a completely different vibe than most of the game. Not much combat, just pure platforming challenge. A few more ways to heal would definitely be nice. The grubsong charm helps a bit, giving soul when you're damaged. I've used that one and the spore charm almost the entire game.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:04 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Does anyone in the universe--never mind this thread--still play Point'n'Click Adventure games? I recently got into them again, and my god has their been some absolutely amazing ones that have been released since I stopped following the genre. As far as I'm concerned, Perry Rhodan: The Immortals of Terra, The Whispered World 1 and 2 and Black Mirror 2 and 3 are certified masterpieces of the genre that can stand toe-to-toe with the best from LucasArts and Sierra.

And I still haven't played the Book of Unwritten Tales series, any Wadjet Eye game or anything by Daedalic Entertainment that isn't Whispered World-related! And there are STILL so many more after those!

Even for people who don't like adventure games, Silence: The Whispered World 2 is an essential play, it's a masterpiece.

Ignore Book of Unwritten Tales, and get on Wadjet Eye games. The Blackwell series are some of my favorite recent adventure games. Admittedly, it does start out a bit rough, but each game is better than the previous one. Technobabylon is also very good.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:22 pm 

I find the ultra low-res AGS pixel-art rather off-putting since my introduction to 3rd person Point & Click adventure games was The Curse of Monkey Island, rather than most of the real classics. Have actually started Book of Unwritten Tales and it's amazing so far, it plays like the Monkey Island we never got (Escape wasn't that bad but that Telltale abomination can DIAFF). The puzzles are just spectacularily well done, though I get the feeling expedience would be furious since they all are completely logical and make sense.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:03 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Those are both sitting near the top of my lists, though I've heard the difficulty of Black Dahlia is... daunting. I can't believe I've never played anything from the GK series; I've played every Broken Sword game multiple times.

I can strongly recommend Silence: The Whispered World 2 for you, though I'm not sure how good the XBOX ONE version is.

Dope, I'll check it out, Yeah we never finished Black Dahlia and we had to cheat a couple of times to solve the puzzles as well, it was that hard.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:28 pm 

Been playing the translation of Super Robot Wars A Portable and holy jeebus! I played some SRW games before but this one is really brutal. The enemies have tons of HP, your units are not that powerful and accuracy is a bitch and a half. Got to mission 29 (edited because my own snafu) and finally reaping what I have sown because Master Asia has shown up with his mech. Needless to say he kicks major ass and is a must-deploy unit.

Last edited by Zdan on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:51 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
I find the ultra low-res AGS pixel-art rather off-putting since my introduction to 3rd person Point & Click adventure games was The Curse of Monkey Island, rather than most of the real classics. Have actually started Book of Unwritten Tales and it's amazing so far, it plays like the Monkey Island we never got (Escape wasn't that bad but that Telltale abomination can DIAFF). The puzzles are just spectacularily well done, though I get the feeling expedience would be furious since they all are completely logical and make sense.

I am very disappointed in you.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:20 am 

Bloodborne just slays, it turned out even better than expected! They nailed a lot of horror concepts and managed to also deliver a great story. The fighting system is perfect and much closer to how i like to play.. i've just made another character (this time skill based) to pick another decision in the ending :)

Side note, the Orphan of Kos's second phase felt like a massive difficulty spike: it's probably the first boss in the "series" that seemed without openings to me. I was only able to manage it in a lot of minutes by hitting with R1 once and running away :lol:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:14 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

I am very disappointed in you.

Fine, I'll do it for you :P . But only if you promise to try out Perry Rhodan or Whispered World!

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:42 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Fine, I'll do it for you :P . But only if you promise to try out Perry Rhodan or Whispered World!

I have The Whispered World, but haven't played it much. I should get back to it. The protagonist's voice, though... :ugh:

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:46 pm 

Making slow progress through Super Robot Wars A Portable but stages where your group splits into two are HELL. On one path there no refueling units and on the other you get stuck with EXTREMELY subpar stuff.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:18 pm 

I picked up Red Dead Redemption 2 last Saturday, and it pretty much took up my last two days. I can't remember the last time I spent that much time in a game in such a short period. So far I've found it to be super fun (if a bit slow moving in the first chapter), varied in terms of encounters and settings, and just a pleasure to look at: this is one of the best looking games I've ever seen on a console.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:48 pm 

Just started playing The Longest Journey. This is going to be a really slow burn game, I can tell.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:27 am 

MammothRider wrote:
I picked up Red Dead Redemption 2 last Saturday, and it pretty much took up my last two days. I can't remember the last time I spent that much time in a game in such a short period. So far I've found it to be super fun (if a bit slow moving in the first chapter), varied in terms of encounters and settings, and just a pleasure to look at: this is one of the best looking games I've ever seen on a console.

Yeah it really is a great game. Just make sure you are not affected by the camp bug in which several members of the gang are just missing from camp for 2 chapters. Miss some cool interactions. I had to restart my game after 15 hours because of it. Apart from that I absolutely adore it and haven't been this immersed in a game in almost a decade.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:04 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

I have The Whispered World, but haven't played it much. I should get back to it. The protagonist's voice, though... :ugh:

For the first third of the game I wanted to strangle him; by the end I wanted to adopt him. I don't think I've laughed so much and so loudly in any other game before, at least in my adult life. I strongly suggest using items with every other item and every interactable object in the environment, because almost all of them (literally thousands of combinations) have a unique line from Sadwick and almost all of them will have you reeling.

Overall, Whispered World could've gone down as my favorite adventure game ever if it didn't have an insane overabundance of moon puzzles; I'm talking only slighty less on the spectrum than Discworld. Still an incredible game though, and one I'm already itching to replay (which is rare for hyper-linear adventure games.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:34 pm 

Boy, you know what really helps with the White Palace? Grubsong + Hiveblood. If you're patient this gives you infinite life. I'm so pumped on reaching the top. I had no idea what would be up there and morbid paranoia suggested a boss fight I wasn't outfitted for but no! A very sweet surprise.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:40 am 

White Palace has honestly been the hardest part of the game for me so far. The game doesn't really throw much hard and precise platforming at you before that. Finally beat it last night. I've gotten over 100% completion with the base game and hidden dreams. Itching to go do the DLC now, which is apparently even harder.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:23 am 

I jumped on the free Destiny 2 dealio a couple days ago and tonight I finished the main campaign with a friend. GOOD GAME. Way better than I was expecting. I normally don't give much of a shit about FPS games but it scratched all the right itches, for the most part. It wasn't perfect, but I absolutely don't regret the playthrough. In fact, now I'm looking forward to buying the $40 DLC package.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 857, 858, 859, 860, 861, 862, 863 ... 940  Next