Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 290927
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:45 am 

I received a message today and looked into the album Nine Treasures - Wisdom Eyes. I noticed that the default version, added by Defreasis, from Bandcamp, has a different tracklist than the current bandcamp version. Later Diamhea re-added a bandcamp version having a tracklist same to the current one. The digipak's tracklist is the same as the current Bandcamp ver.

So the most likely situation was, when the band initially released the album on Bandcamp, it has one (possibly messy, or "erroneous") tracklist, and then sometime later, they changed the tracklist to reflect a more official, fixed version (= digipak tracklist), which stays unchanged until now.

Question: Should we keep two Bandcamp versions on M.A., knowing that the first tracklist is nowhere to be found on the bandcamp page? (And almost nowhere to be found on the internet. Currently the only trace of the initial tracklist was on a Taiwan website, which is by no means official.)

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:43 am 

Changes were based on this report:
https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/606694

I actually bought it with the old tracklist, so at least I know it was there and I didn't buy it on release day, I think.

~Guest 290927
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:09 am 

Q1: Should we keep two bandcamp versions with different tracklist?

Even if we keep two versions, I believe the current tracklist should be listed as default (because it is final and because the initial version is gone) and there should be a mention of this in the additional notes.

Plus, on Bandcamp, I saw some bands put two or three "teaser" tracks before the releasing an album, WITHOUT providing the full tracklist. So this is different from putting the full tracklist and providing two/three songs for preview. After the album is released, they simply re-uploaded the entire album, erasing the teaser version completely. Q2: In this case, should we keep two versions (one teaser, one final) on MA, or should we just keep the final version?

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:25 am 

Q1 is a bit tricky, since...I think, technically it counts as a re-release because it was piblicly and officially available with that tracklist while others (like you) might argue that it might have been a mistake. I'll bring it to discord.

Q2: If there is one or two tracks uploaded with the artwork and the title of the upcoming full-length, they are usually pre-orders. If not it should be treated the way it is presented. If it is a standalone single (which can be hard to figure out for digital stuff, unique artwork and title is often a good hint. If it really is just a song to tease the upcoming album, I'd count it as an "unfinished version" of the album and wait for the whole thing to drop.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:30 am 

Regarding Q1: Derigin and Storm of a Lights Bane are backing me up. It counts as a separate version since it was available publicly and officially marketed as a finished product for quite some time. Also there is proof (me) that it was available in in this form and unlike a teaser or similar it's, as I said, a finished version of the album. I added a note in the version description of the re-upload to clearify things.
And the first version should be treated as parent since it was the original version. I actually checked my files, they date back to April 2017, so the first version was up for at least 3 months, so I'd say they changed it with the release of the CD, but that's just guesswork ;)

Reply to topic