Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MoonRoot
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:44 pm 

Hi there! First of all, I really love this site, I am actively using it probably more than 10 years now and its helping me a lot since I've been writing for many magazines, collecting and exploring unknown Ep's and demos becomes a big hobby of mine and later I started my own career as an artist working mainly for metal bands.

There is one thing I really miss here. I think it would be great if the Review browser have a column for genre or simple possibility to choose just one genre to show the reviews from. This would be absolutely fantastic and it could open a new possibilities to search many interesting music. For example, I am usually interested in black metal and doom metal bands. But when I browse the newest reviews I have to go thru many reviews I am currently not interested in. Of course, I have nothing against other subgenres, but this could be really helpfull. :)

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:35 am 

That somewhat makes sense, but at the same time, I tend to still read reviews on genres I'm not into just for the entertainment and curiosity. Plus, there have been a few occasions where an author's take on it was so great that it made me want to check it out anyway! So it could be nice, but I disagree, because then it gives pre-conceived opinions and may turn myself or someone else away from something all due to a tag.

On a similar note, I thought about making a "non metal album reviews" thread in the tavern, since I have a handful that I'd love for people to see, and I'd be more than interested in reading other peoples' reviews on non metal albums. Simply just copy the link and post in the thread. If I did this, would anyone else join in?

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:25 am 

Or you search for bands by genre and check their reviews. If they don't have any, move on or, even better, check the out on Youtube/Bandcamp/old dusty cassettes dubbed by russians and sold for 100€ on Discogs/whatever.

There are so many great bands on this site without reviews (yet). Just dig your way through the bands and enjoy the ride ;)

Reply to topic