Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:54 am 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
I dunno if you coined it or not actually, but you're the one who introduced the term 'thesaurus-reader' to me in regards to the really wordy underground metal folk.

I actually picked up the term on the Metal-Rules.com forums, where I post under the name "Tsotha-lanti".

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:13 pm 

Well thanks go out to them and you then. *shrug*

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:32 pm 

Thamuz wrote:
Falco, while your attention is on this thread can you explain what you mean by 'reversions' in your Necrophobic review?

Sorry, one of those cases of poor editing. The sentence in question should read, "A fast tremelo strum is the predominant riffing style, alternating occasionally with thunderous downpicked reversions to the violent rhythmic patterns of primitive death metal and slowly picked arpeggios." I'm bad about doing that from time to time, leaving out words or phrases when I'm typing, (especially if I am disrupted in some way). I compose "at the keyboard," and I put a high value on continuity and as seemless a sense of motion within my writing as I can manage; it's why I use a lot of complex, multiclause sentences, parenthetical expressions, ellipses and the like. These allow me to convey complex ideas WITHOUT. COMING. TO. A. FULL.

STOP.

The downside is that I have to make sure I do a final oral edit or things, sometimes important things (as in this case), are likely to go missing, rather to the detriment of readibility for the end user.

Hope that helps.

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:21 pm 

HowDisgusting wrote:
What revisionist history? Darkthrone ARE a couple of hippies,

There's more to being a hippie than long hair and Cannabis sativa.

Quote:
and they never did take the whole black metal thing seriously.

This is the problem with categorical thinking; it puts an extra layer of symbolic interpretation between the reality of an observed object, personality or idea and the observer. The "whole black metal thing" was a creation of the post-1993 media frenzy and the rush to develop some sort of one-stop shop "explanation" for the events of 1992-1994; that this meme has been internalized and continues to be regurgitated by the socializers and parasites still trying to rape a buck or two out of the corpse of black metal in no way alters the fundamental artificiality of the meme itself. DarkThrone rightfully didn't take this "seriously" (but neither did such obviously "serious" figures as Varg Vikernes), which isn't the same as saying that they didn't take their own art "seriously." Don't let the "black metal" meme get in the way of understanding the relationship of artists and their art.

Quote:
And my point was that all it takes to change a song's purpose and parameters from "Paragon Belial" to what's heard on the new album is a very minor tweak, and that the slacking of the band's creative standards over the last 12 years or so has all culminated in this release.

1. It takes more than a "tweak", it takes a radical realignment of worldview and expressive priorities.

2. It's hard to reconcile your attempt to confine the discussion to the era between Panzerfaust and the current album with statements in the review itself like "But here's the kicker - this is how Darkthrone has operated for the last 15 fucking years!"

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:38 pm 

There's not a whole lot of difference in the approach of Panzerfaust from that of A Blaze... The main disparity lies in the overall quality of the writing, which is clearly far lower on Panzerfaust and all subsequent records.

And I'm guessing you haven't read about Fenriz getting arrested for being involved in an anti-Apartheid protest in South Africa.

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:22 am 

HowDisgusting wrote:
There's not a whole lot of difference in the approach of Panzerfaust from that of A Blaze... The main disparity lies in the overall quality of the writing, which is clearly far lower on Panzerfaust and all subsequent records.

There are some similarities in the basic construction of some riffs, but again, there's an enormous gap between a fundamentally rhythmic, rock-based approach and the long phrase, melodic emphasis of A Blaze in the Northern Sky.

Quote:
And I'm guessing you haven't read about Fenriz getting arrested for being involved in an anti-Apartheid protest in South Africa.

Keep in mind that Mussolini was once a Communist. I think the band's public statements in the early 90s make it pretty clear where they stood at that point.

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:55 am 

Falconsbane wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:

There are some similarities in the basic construction of some riffs, but again, there's an enormous gap between a fundamentally rhythmic, rock-based approach and the long phrase, melodic emphasis of A Blaze in the Northern Sky.

Quote:

Keep in mind that Mussolini was once a Communist. I think the band's public statements in the early 90s make it pretty clear where they stood at that point.
It's not inconceivable that they were simply putting on a façade to earn scene cred. Happens all the time in music.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:00 am 

Its also not inconceivable that hatred is focused in younger age and broadens with disillusionment, and I think its Falcos point that there once was a clear direction before it drifted off into the modern Darkthrone "Fuck Y'all" realms.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:36 am 

droneriot wrote:
Its also not inconceivable that hatred is focused in younger age and broadens with disillusionment, and I think its Falcos point that there once was a clear direction before it drifted off into the modern Darkthrone "Fuck Y'all" realms.
Also a distinct possibility. A lot of people go through stages like that, but I question the sincerity of the right-wing statements they've made for a number of reasons, chief among them being the fact that they adopted black metal as their genre virtually overnight - ostensibly due to peer pressure and lack of success playing death metal. Making extremist statements was the cool thing to do amongst the Norwegian black metal community at the time, and it seems to me like Darkthrone were really trying to one-up their peers in every possible regard, including their public image, no matter how far they had to stray from their real selves to do it. A lot of this is conjectural, mind you, but it makes a lot more sense given what the band is producing these days than the idea that they were ever true blue fascists.

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:56 am 

HowDisgusting wrote:
chief among them being the fact that they adopted black metal as their genre virtually overnight - ostensibly due to peer pressure and lack of success playing death metal.

I could have sworn Darkthrone released a Black Metal demo called "Land Of Frost." Perhaps I'm thinking of a different band...

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:03 am 

Land of Frost was a death metal demo.

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:18 am 

There are a few traces of Death Metal, but it's closer to Black Metal. It reminds me of Samael in a lot of places, yet with more 'avant-garde' touches. It drones far too much for Death Metal.

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:18 am 

HowDisgusting wrote:
It's not inconceivable that they were simply putting on a façade to earn scene cred. Happens all the time in music.

Yeah, but then you're down to picking and choosing from quotes to demonstrate the "authentic" attitude, a totally subjective process.

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:36 am 

HowDisgusting wrote:
Also a distinct possibility. A lot of people go through stages like that, but I question the sincerity of the right-wing statements they've made for a number of reasons, chief among them being the fact that they adopted black metal as their genre virtually overnight - ostensibly due to peer pressure and lack of success playing death metal.

How was their conversion any more "overnight" than that of most of the other bands from the Norwegian scene? There's less distance temporally between say, Varg Vikernes work with Old Funeral and the early Burzum demos, or between the early Thou Shalt Suffer releases and the formation of Emperor. Immortal likewise formed from the ashes of a death metal band. No one questions the sincerity of any of those artists (at least not during the years in question). The truth is that the Norwegian death metal scene already featured a style that was pushing towards what became "black metal." All of these artists were already moving in the direction of what they became, it merely exploded during the years between 1991 and 1994 as the bands found a collective voice to express explicitly what had already been implicit in the more unformed works of their creative infancy.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:51 am 

Ok, I know he was mentioned by OSS earlier, but I have to commend Aeturnus65 once again for writing some stellar reviews. His review of Borknagar's The Olden Domain was incredible. If you haven't read anything by him yet, it's high time you get on that.

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:34 pm 

HowDisgusting's review of Nechrist rules. It's nice to see people who see through the facade of "OMFG, IT'S GOT FOLK INSTRUMENTS, IT MUST BE SUPERIOR ARYAN ART!!!"

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:24 pm 

HowDisgusting wrote:
chief among them being the fact that they adopted black metal as their genre virtually overnight - ostensibly due to peer pressure and lack of success playing death metal.

Lack of success playing death metal? Darkthrone got a Peaceville contract back when almost no european death metal had contracts. Soulside Journey had glowing reviews back then, and they could have toured a lot if Fenriz wanted to.

Darkthrone didn't adopt norwegian black metal, Darkthrone basically created it, along with Mayhem. So what if they decided to turn away from death to black metal soon after recording Soulside Journey? Is it written in some sort of art manual that you need time to change views upon your art? Many great painters changed their style from one year to another. Is there any problem with that?

HowDisgusting wrote:
Making extremist statements was the cool thing to do amongst the Norwegian black metal community at the time, and it seems to me like Darkthrone were really trying to one-up their peers in every possible regard, including their public image, no matter how far they had to stray from their real selves to do it.

I see it as a healthy competition instead of peer-to-peer pressure. There is always competition between members of the same art movement. In the case of norwegian black metal, that competition was even outside the music itself, thus the extremist statements, but as far as the music is concerned, the scene produced outstanding bands.

As for comparing A Blaze... to The Cult is Alive, I seriously doubt someone would recognize the same band if they didn't know both of them were Darkthrone albums.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:20 pm 

Could any mods, by any chance, let me know what reveiwers have consistantly written good reviews? I'd like to browse through for some ideas on writing my own. Thanks to all in advance.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:19 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Could any mods, by any chance, let me know what reveiwers have consistantly written good reviews? I'd like to browse through for some ideas on writing my own. Thanks to all in advance.

OlympicSharpshooter's profile:

http://www.metal-archives.com/userprofi ... arpshooter

EDIT: Oh sorry you said consistently good reviewers...well that sure rules me out :lol: Well as for what you asked for...Gutterscream, OSS and Vim_Fuego immediately come to mind. There are many more examples, but remember that several of the top reviewers on this site started out a bit sub-par and became better with time.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:11 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:

Yeah, my profile has a list of the reviewers I consider to be churning out good work, and it gets fairly regular updates.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:18 am 

Thanks a lot! Look for some new ones by me soon. For now, I must shower and go to class.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:02 am 

Quote:
Between Life and Death - 50%
Written by christkiller on January 19th, 2004

Hum .. I must admit that I have never been a big fan of Six Feet Under.
The reason why I chose to review this album today is that there were no reviews yet and that I have decided to review all the albums I possess which have NOT yet been reviewed

This EP released in 1996 by Metal Blade consists of 7 tracks, 3 of them being studio tracks and 4 recorded live in 1996 in Switzerland and Holland

The reason why I cant bear Six feet Under: I find Chris Barnes RIDICULOUS with his dreads and the fact that he smokes marijuana ( yes Black Metal Attitude -_- : no respect for anything) (ps: I use to smoke too but when I was a branless teen -_-)

The 2 first songs are rather slow with the harsh vocals of Chris Barnes

The 3rd song is "Grinder" which is a cover song of Judas Priest: this song is a bit faster and with some heavy metal riffs: this song is the best of the 3 studio tracks

Tracks 4 to 6 were recorded live in Prattland, July 12 1996 in Switzerland
For a live recording, the sound is rather good but it could have been a bit better
"Suffering in Ecstasy" is the faster of the 3 songs (yes I must admit that I prefer fast Metal rather than slow pace Metal -_-

The last song "Beneath a black Sky" was recorded live in Henglo, July 21 1996 in Holland

Here for this song the live sound a pretty much better.

This EP is for pure fans of Six Feet Under, who like having all the albums of this band in their collection

For the others: keep your money, there is nothing special in this EP

Thought I would salvage this before it was nuked. Christkiller never ceases to make me laugh.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

InstinctKill
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:17 pm 

Here is a list of specific reviews I enjoyed and ones that I would certainly recommend for anyone interested:

Abominatrix - Venom's "Black Metal"
Antikrist - Dark Angel's "Darkness Descends"
Arsenic - Metallica's "Kill 'Em All"
Bloodstone - Scanner's "Terminal Earth"
chaossphere - Countess' "Heilig Vuur"
Cheeses_Priced - In Flames' "Whoracle"
Falconsbane - Burzum's "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss"
Gutterscream - Kreator's "Endless Pain"
MacMoney - Death's "Individual Thought Patterns"
OlympicSharpshooter - Judas Priest's "Sin After Sin"
Peregrin - Hellhammer's "Apocalyptic Raids 1990 A.D."
Pyrus - Sodom's "Agent Orange"
Scorpio - Iron Maiden's "Powerslave"
stickyshooZ - Slayer's "Angel of Death"
The_Ghost_of_Room237 - Fates Warning's "Awaken the Guardian"
UltraBoris - Metallica's "Master of Puppets"
Vic - Judas Priest's "Sad Wings of Destiny"
VileRancour - Burzum's "Det Som Engang Var"
Vim_Fuego - Sepultura's "Beneath the Remains"

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:28 pm 

InstinctKill's new review for Sad Wings of Destiny is one of the best reviews I have read.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=432#30162
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:39 pm 

Aye, I was coming here to point that one out myself. Thanks for the mention on your list IK.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:39 pm 

Visionary wrote:
InstinctKill's new review for Sad Wings of Destiny is one of the best reviews I have read.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=432#30162

I was going to mention this one as well.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:13 pm 

InstinctKill wrote:
Bloodstone - Scanner's "Terminal Earth"

I'm not all happy with that one myself. It's rather incoherently structured and features sentences that are far too long, with poor use of ,'s, :'s, ;'s and ...'s. But on the other hand, it's probably one of my most "useful" reviews, being for a less well-known band than what I usually review. It's also my highest rated album thus far, one of my top ten favorite albums of all time.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:02 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=138#24461

Come one come all to the two newest Orchid reviews. They're absolutely superb, particularly Desolate's which is probably one of the best I've read here.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:57 pm 

Come one come all to the two newest Orchid reviews. They're absolutely superb, particularly Desolate's which is probably one of the best I've read here.

Wait a minute! Mine is the second. Does that mean my review was recommended? Or is it just because of the better one above it? Definitely thanks, though!

Ok, so I hate to promote my own stuff, but I'm really happy with my review of Sykdom's Intet Liv. So check it out...
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=56159#57901

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:14 pm 

Desolate's which is probably one of the best I've read here.

Not to mention that I will have to thank him in my upcoming essay about the immense, but frequently forgotten, influence Dadaism has had upon many Metal bands.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:58 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:

Wait a minute! Mine is the second. Does that mean my review was recommended? Or is it just because of the better one above it? Definitely thanks, though!

Ok, so I hate to promote my own stuff, but I'm really happy with my review of Sykdom's Intet Liv. So check it out...
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=56159#57901

Yeah, I recommended yours. It was quite good.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:14 am 

I like droneriot's review of Absurd's Raubritter; droney may go on to usurp UltraBoris as the king of negative reviews.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:22 am 

Peregrin wrote:
I like droneriot's review of Absurd's Raubritter; droney may go on to usurp UltraBoris as the king of negative reviews.

Thanks, but I'm not happy with it personally. Too many details on which I got stuck and just wrote something only in order to get forward with the writing...

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:15 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Peregrin wrote:

Thanks, but I'm not happy with it personally. Too many details on which I got stuck and just wrote something only in order to get forward with the writing...

Yeah, it still does not hold a candle to this one - the Odium Immortalis section is one of the funniest trashings I have read.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:51 pm 

Peregrin's new Demigod review is good. It contains thoughts similar to those I often try to include in my own reviews, but does it in 30% of my average word count and much more fluently. And intelligently.

It makes me want to get the album. So, that's another 15 € or so for something fundamentally useless again. Damn you, Mr Peregrin ;)

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:12 pm 

This brocashelm guy is pretty talented. I can't believe he's had like 10 reviews sitting in the queue for so long. Check out this completely killer Morbid Angel review:

Where US Death Metal Finds It's Vsion - 95%
Written by brocashelm on April 18th, 2006

To get the full bug of why Morbid Angel’s now legendary debut is such an influential and key release in metal and an absolute cornerstone in the specific development of death metal, we must consider it in the context of its time of release. To this point, death metal was a strong but not altogether prodigious beast during the eighties. And as powerful and shocking as the raw, Satanic sounds of Sodom, Kreator, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost and others were, the bands never really congealed into a “scene” per se, as the band of the thrash metal revolution so clearly did. But as far as death metal goes, the bands were far flung at divergent positions on the globe and musically fractured as well. This meant that from 1982 until about 1988, death metal was largely an underground phenomenon, even in the metal sense of the word.

But during this time, bands fermented in subterranean existence, some of which that would soon change the very face of metal in general. Sepultura and Entombed were two of them. But the band that would arise like a fetid gargoyle to envelop the entire metal scene in a black cloud of perdition was Morbid Angel, direct from sunny Florida. In 1989 the band were hardly unknown to demo collectors and other cellar dwellers, having spread their bastardized take on the music of Death and Possessed far and wide. Record companies dismissed their racket and were perhaps mildly repulsed by the band’s tendency to slash their limbs with razors onstage, so as to literally bleed for their music (totally true, gang, the band were very dedicated to proving their persona as a “true” death metal band in what they perceived as an overpopulation of posers in the scene). But it was only England’s Earache records, on a high from the relative fame of Napalm Death, to dare giving such a band an actual record contract.

So what’s important here? Everything. The songs are very, very well written, honed as they were over years of festering in Satan’s crock pot. Keys to understanding Morbid Angel’s sound lie in the introduction of the blast beat to death metal. Sure many other bands in the sub-genre played at scary tempos, but Morbid Angel were another story all together, as Pete Sandoval (late of grind merchants Terrorizer) upped the death metal drum ante several notches not only speed by in precision as well. Next, Trey Azagthoth (real name George Emmanuel). The guy is insane. His crafting of guitar riffs and arrangements that defy logic are a glorious thing to behold. His leads sound like demonic communications from Sheol itself. His songs seem to move sideways, backwards, in every direction but what you would expect. Plus the guy writes more riffs per album that most do in their whole careers. And while it’s true that I believe that Possessed (complexity and tempo shifts) and Death (general brutality) were profound influences on the band, their interpretation of those ideas is stunningly unique.

Best part: the songs, as barked forth by bassist David Vincent, remain some of the finest ever in death or any other brand of metal. “Visions From The Darkside” boasts profoundly gothic melodies atop ferocious rigging and speed, while “Maze Of Torment” displays the Morbid Angel machine simply firing on all satanic cylinders. “Lord Of All Fevers And Plague” is a demented trip to the Necronomicon poetry of the Ancients, with relentlessly shifting riffs and tempos, Vincent spitting out fearsome invocations in deceased Babylonian tongues. “Bleed For The Devil” is the band’s chance to blast in grind style mercilessly, while “Chapel Of Ghouls” is easily the most mature and affecting cut on hand, moving through the band’s entire bible of styles in a flurry of demonic intent. In a production sense this is also a rare example of a Morrisound (Tampa, Florida studio that would soon become the house of choice for death metal recording) studios project that retains a non-generic feel.

This album inverted the entire metal scene. For after it’s release the death metal scene truly began to rally around itself, and within a mere two years would come to dominate the metal underground in an almost epidemic sense. The influence of Morbid Angel’s music would inform this death metal scene in an all-consuming manner not unlike Slayer and Metallica’s domination of the thrash metal world. Further, Morbid Angel would perhaps produce an even better sophomore album, as we’ll soon see. But when the all bets are placed and the finest metal recordings ever are made to stand up and be counted, Altars Of Madness is destined to be very near the top of that list. Some didn’t like (or understand) it upon its release, but that’s only an illustration of how ahead of its time it was. Hear this, or forever be less of a human being.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:34 pm 

Napero wrote:
Peregrin's new Demigod review is good. It contains thoughts similar to those I often try to include in my own reviews, but does it in 30% of my average word count and much more fluently. And intelligently.

It makes me want to get the album. So, that's another 15 € or so for something fundamentally useless again. Damn you, Mr Peregrin ;)

Heh, I am personally proud of said review because it really shows how I am getting more and more concise in my reviews. Had I reviewed The Slumber of Sullen Eyes a year ago, the review would probably be twice as long.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:25 am 

Napero's review of Burzum's Daudi Baldrs is absolutely hilarious.

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:16 am 

Peregrin wrote:
Napero's review of Burzum's Daudi Baldrs is absolutely hilarious.

Seconded :lol:.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:06 am 

Lol, I just saw that one and was like "wtf???" :lol:

How did it get accepted anyway? I mean, it's hilarious and a good piece of writing and all, but it doesn't exactly match the site's rather strict guidelines...

Edit: in case someone might decide to remove it, here's the poem in its lollercoasting glory:

Napero wrote:
Varg had been a very bad boy, a very naughty boy indeed,
Playing metal, burning churches, and making Euronymous bleed,
He had been caught and tried in court, and the Hammer of Justice fell,
"We will jail your sorry bottom, for how long, well, we cannot tell";
'Twas his time to repent and redeem, his rebellious mind to quell,
Alas, Vikernes thought, "Go to Hell"

Days were long and the nights lonely, but Varg kept himself defiant,
"When I get out, I'll show those bastards and become a Pagan Giant";
He read and he wrote many a book, and trained to keep his youthful look,
Prayed Odin to cut him some slack, to let him out to pay things back,
But time was too slow and boring, Varg felt he'd been stretched on a rack,
Nightly, in tears, he hit the sack

On a sleepless night in Varg's cell, he got a visitor from Hell,
With a mighty smell of sulphur, and the ringing of Hell's great bell
Odin came to greet him and chat, to command his favourite chap,
Towing a bullet-holed Vidkun, and trailed by the pale ghosts of yore,
Varg wanted to join them right then, to make the ghastly crew one more,
But Odin laughed, "Not yet my son"

Varg fell on his knees and begged, "Dad, grant me the crown of Norway",
"I'll keep discipline of iron, convert people back to Your Way!"
But Odin laughed and the walls shook, and he gave Varg a trickster's look,
"I shall grant you an artefact, more mighty than the crown, in fact,
worth a hundred crowns of Norway, hope it arrives in mail intact",
"So make good use of it, my boy"

In the morning, as Varg woke up, a guard came with a largish box,
Quoth "'Tis for you, by mail-order, now be a nice boy, change those socks",
Hands trembling, Varg tore the cardboard, expecting an armour and sword,
But he was completely at loss, as he saw the gift from his boss,
The artefact was black and white, called Casio, and kind of gross,
Quoth the price tag, "100 crowns"...

So Varg played 'till his fingers bled, time became a stone-filled sled,
Did his very best, tried and wept, played all the time unless he slept,
But the Casio made a bleep, a horrible honk and a beeb,
Varg's desperation knew no bounds, but, determined, he pushed on
Played, occasionally despaired, composed, bone-headedly strode on
Cursed, but still prayed to Lord Odin

He completed his masterpiece; It reeked of ancient Stilton cheese
Varg got a few tears in his eyes, when he thought of the thing's release,
He would be laughed at by his pals, abandoned by Norwegian gals,
And there was no pride in his soul, the album was tryly quite foul,
Not loved even by its creator, the MIDI was cute as a ghoul,
And still, some idiots bought it...

Look at it any way you wish, Daudi Baldrs stinks like a fish
Ain't ambient or metallish, it's a wholly untempting dish
Vangelis, master of the trade, will spends days rolling in his grave
While he's still alive, he does know, synth music shouldn't be a joke
Or be any stress reliever for a desperate inmate bloke
...and, (grumble), neither should metal...

So don't listen to it, young man, leave it there in the bargain bin
Since from the metal point of view Vikernes committed a sin
Releasing abominations, unleashing worthless creations
With no connection to metal or nationalist idealism
This is only, pure and simple, a deprived man's commercialism
Selling his records from the jail

Meanwhile, away in Valhalla, Odin laughed and spilled his mead,
The trickster watched Varg crying and shook his iron-crowned head,
as the joke had been successful, and Varg's new album truly dull
The tears of laughter filled his eyes, on the floor he laughed off his ass
He had known Varg couldn't do it without a guitar, drums and bass
Baldur's Death ain't music of class

'Twas a painful experience, to hear Varg's mental decadence,
To listen to this lousiness, wholly devoid of metalness
Not a single good song on it, and nothing resembling a hit
Shall I ever feel drawn to it, is there interest to admit?
Will I again listen to it, or, Heaven forbid, enjoy it?
Quoth Napero, "Nevermore!"
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 520  Next