Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:07 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Oh well, this guy's credibility was shot the moment I read "Cum on Feel the Noize" by.....Twisted Sister!!

.....WHAT!!!

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:54 pm 

I have to admit, Tattooed Millionaire is a terrible album. Also not Janick Gers' finest hour (if he ever had one). Also admit, I'm a little sick of seeing Dee Snider everywhere, but Jesus...smoke a joint and calm dem titties. (and yes that Quiet Riot mixup is a window closer, and I don't even like Quiet Riot).
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:43 pm 

I love Tattooed Millionaire.

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:12 am 

O.k., I had written a review for this band called Intimidating Mage for their album entitled Plainsman, and I am not sure if something is wrong or not, and needs to be checked maybe a.s.a.p.?? Not for it to be accepted right away, that's not what I am trying to push.

I had written a shit lot on it, and I had double-checked after using my spell-checker. Everything seemed in order. After I had re-read it, and all looked good, I submitted it and got the pop-up making sure I wanted to submit it, so I did.

Few hours later I log back on and click on it to just give one more 'over-read' to it, how I always do, like just "double-checking", I'm kind of OCD about this. Well, anyway I go back to check it out, and to my horror, I only see a sentence! One single fucking sentence, when I had written like 5 or six paragraphs!

Is there a way a Mod would mind checking on this, please? Again, I am not asking to be looked at to be submitted right away, just if it needs to be rejected because of this error, I would like to be able to go on and get this finished, as it is a promised review and already had told him it was submitted into the review queue.

At any rate, this is what I am looking at, and I know 100% fact I did not delete anything, and when I had hit the submit button, all my text was there, but now it is not. Is it there, and I'm just not seeing it now, or what? Help, please?

https://i.imgur.com/M2I7eJs.jpg

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:17 am 

Spider_X wrote:
O.k., I had written a review for this band called Intimidating Mage for their album entitled Plainsman, and I am not sure if something is wrong or not, and needs to be checked maybe a.s.a.p.?? Not for it to be accepted right away, that's not what I am trying to push.

I had written a shit lot on it, and I had double-checked after using my spell-checker. Everything seemed in order. After I had re-read it, and all looked good, I submitted it and got the pop-up making sure I wanted to submit it, so I did.

Few hours later I log back on and click on it to just give one more 'over-read' to it, how I always do, like just "double-checking", I'm kind of OCD about this. Well, anyway I go back to check it out, and to my horror, I only see a sentence! One single fucking sentence, when I had written like 5 or six paragraphs!

Is there a way a Mod would mind checking on this, please? Again, I am not asking to be looked at to be submitted right away, just if it needs to be rejected because of this error, I would like to be able to go on and get this finished, as it is a promised review and already had told him it was submitted into the review queue.

At any rate, this is what I am looking at, and I know 100% fact I did not delete anything, and when I had hit the submit button, all my text was there, but now it is not. Is it there, and I'm just not seeing it now, or what? Help, please?

I'm sorry that happened to you, that absolutely blows. Let this be the monthly reminder, way too early in the month. Please folks, for your own sake write the reviews in a word processor and save them. If you don't have Word or Apple's version, Open Office is just as good as the Word 2000 I grew up on. It's free and it's just as intuitive if you know Word.

For you own posterity, save your reviews, new and old alike to show you how you've grown. The Encyclopedia Metallum may not be around forever, but your writing can survive on hard drives, removables, flashes, or in your own cloud storage. These files only take up kilobytes out of the terabytes that are readily available for incredibly cheap nowadays. It's nice to go into my review file and see it full of stuff, including bits that have since been deleted from the Archives, as well as add to it every month with new stuff that I've been working on in my draft file.

I doubt all of it can be gotten back if it didn't save correctly. If it was waiting for moderation it would be visible only in your account and the moderator queue. Glitches suck, don't let this one discourage you Spider_X.

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:44 am 

Five_Nails wrote:
Spider_X wrote:

I'm sorry that happened to you, that absolutely blows. Let this be the monthly reminder, way too early in the month. Please folks, for your own sake write the reviews in a word processor and save them. If you don't have Word or Apple's version, Open Office is just as good as the Word 2000 I grew up on. It's free and it's just as intuitive if you know Word.

For you own posterity, save your reviews, new and old alike to show you how you've grown. The Encyclopedia Metallum may not be around forever, but your writing can survive on hard drives, removables, flashes, or in your own cloud storage. These files only take up kilobytes out of the terabytes that are readily available for incredibly cheap nowadays. It's nice to go into my review file and see it full of stuff, including bits that have since been deleted from the Archives, as well as add to it every month with new stuff that I've been working on in my draft file.

I doubt all of it can be gotten back if it didn't save correctly. If it was waiting for moderation it would be visible only in your account and the moderator queue. Glitches suck, don't let this one discourage you Spider_X.

O.k., this is what's weird, cause with every paragraph that I had written, even with just writing some sentences, I would hit the "Save Draft" button, and I would always check (above) my review to make sure that it was saved, you know how you get that green highlighted box that says: "Your draft has been saved successfully.". So, really this is the weirdest thing to ever happen to me, in doing anything for M-A, the absolute weirdest thing... ever. So, why when I submitted it, everything written but the very first sentence disappeared is truly mind-boggling!

Nothing I can do about that now, as 99% of my review is obviously gone, but I am glad that I did write about it, in this thread, and besides the other Mod that I had PM'd........ both of ya'll have given me some truly great advice, honestly had never thought to actually "save" my reviews elsewhere, as I just write them up on M-A, and up until last night, have never had a single problem before.

Just downloaded Open Office, and it's installing now, so I will def be checking this out, as soon as it gets through. And, I will rewrite my review tonight, as I can remember most of what I wrote, not everything, but mostly :)

Thank you again so much, for your advice! *(Actually, it just finished, I just opened it, checked it out, it's really nice! This will def come in handy! Thank you so much, again Five_Nails!)

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:57 am 

Yeah I think losing a review by not having a copy saved is the kind of thing that only happens to you once. Something similar happened to me when I was starting out, had written an entire review and when I hit submit it turned out I had been logged out due to inactivity. When I logged back in the whole thing was gone and I had to start again. Really sucked at the time but taught me a valuable lesson in the long run.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:51 am 

I write everything with a word processor (be it Word or OpenOffice or what have you) and save as I go along. I've, personally, never lost a review for this reason, but I remember constantly hearing horror stories from users on the forums back when I started reviewing on V.1. All of the review mods back then used to say "never write your review in the web browser" because there's no way to get it back if you lose it or accidentally hit backspace or if you lose internet connection. Like Porcupine said, it will, hopefully, only happen once.

Moral of the story: Use a word processor that doesn't require internet service and has a decent file recovery system. I use OpenOffice because it's free.

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:07 pm 

Thanks, guys! :) I am still working on that review, I have tried to remember as much as I can, but trying to write it in the same manner is giving me quite a challenge :P

I def downloaded Open Office and am currently using that. Can't thank ya'll for the helpful advice on this! You know, you can tell I def need to better familiarize with some of the topic posts on the forums, as I usually have a tendency to check out the same ones over and over again, like the point-whoring one, the review workshop one, why was band X rejected, the ones I am getting notifications for, when someone posts something new... I mention this, because HAD I even bothered to look around well (before-hand), I would have happened upon this post ( https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... =4&t=44482 ), I am pretty sure, as there it mentions about saving your review externally from M-A. I really feel so dumb, cause I have been with you guys since 2006, and to see that 2 years after me joining the M-A gang, that was posted, and all this time until just now, I never had a clue about that post. Boy, I really feel dumb.

But, at the same time, I have learned a VERY valuable lesson in all this, 2 actually.... save your review, and try and keep up to date with forum posts ;)

Thanks again, all you guys fucking rule! I mean that!

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:25 am 

You know what, it actually happened again, (however) I figured out exactly what it was that was causing the fuck up.... as where the initial part of the "cut-off" of my review was when I was using Italics for the album title. I was using an online Italics generator (to copy and paste the Plainsman title); and I decided to do it from my Open Office save (unitalicized) and my review showed back up after saving to draft (here on M-A). For some reason, I can't get Open Office to keep the album title in Italics when I copy/ paste it from there, onto M-A.... but, yeah, I can finally submit my review now! ;)

I may not be writing how I want to say this correctly, but basically just letting ya'll know that the fuck-up was soley on my part, and took me a little bit to figure it out; but I did, and all is cool now! And, I tell you having it saved to Open Office, can't thank you guys enough, again! :)

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:02 am 

Oh buddy, you're making this way too hard for yourself to begin with. If you want to italicize something, just use the html bits at the bottom of the page. It lists them just below the review box.

Spoiler: show
It's the same as how you do it here, just replace the brackets [] with arrows <>

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:05 am 

Special formatting (like italic, bold, underline, font size, etc.) won't carry over from any word processor. You need to format those yourself using HTML tags. When you go to enter a new review, you'll see a line underneath where you enter your review body that shows:

Quote:
Allowed HTML tags:
<i> <b> <u> <ul> <li> <a> <span> <strong> <em>

So if you want to have an album title italicized, you need to enter the appropriate HTML tag yourself:

Quote:
<i>Album Title</i>

Hope that clears it up for you.

EDIT: five_nails beat me to it, but this should drive home the point.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:53 am 

Sweety, I didn't know I had unleashed the beast of a Motley Crue loving monster!

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:19 am 

I had actually planned on writing that one for the past week, but hadn't gotten to it until yesterday (it was a busy week). Coincidental with timing, but your review made me quite happy. I'm likely gonna cover the whole Crue discography, seeing that the '80s albums could use some writeups from someone who actually loves glam metal, and the later ones are barely touched on at all.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:04 am 

I dunno about Crue, I mean they aren't exactly my cup of tea but there are a few albums I like when I listen to. It's not that I dislike glam, just that I like sleaze but I hate ballads (except for Steelheart, which I saw you mention the other day), so it depends on the heavy/light mixture of the album.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:05 pm 

It completely depends on how it's executed. The next two Crue albums are about as glam as it gets. As a fan, I believe one did it correctly and one was pretty rough. Girls Girls Girls being the good one, Theatre being the meh one.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:51 pm 

That Sacred Heart review is absurd.
1. I may have misread, but did he refer to Holy Diver as the sophomore album?
2. Cheap trick are A. Not glam at all, yet he seems to think so, and B. didn't use the fake audience, it's just that the live version is the commonly known one. In their studio version, there was no live audience.
3. It's pretty poorly written and has some awkward wording as is.
4. It's super long yet lacks much musical description at all, and what is there makes pretty poor comparisons.

I get not liking that album (even though I love it), but that review was hard to get through.

DesecratorJ
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:08 pm 

That Stained Class review is pretty funny, I read the first sentence "Few would say this album is excellent."

Enuff read.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:27 pm 

DesecratorJ wrote:
That Stained Class review is pretty funny, I read the first sentence "Few would say this album is excellent."

Enuff read.

Indeed, that quote alone ruins any potential "troll value" it could have, it makes it too obvious that he's only out to piss people off. If you're going to troll, it's important to make things subtle, if you just go for the jugular right from the get-go, everyone is going to cry foul and you'll just end up looking like an idiot (I mean, he looks like an idiot either way, but at least he'd gain the attention he's seeking).

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:32 pm 

I really hated accepting that review.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:52 pm 

DesecratorJ wrote:

Enuff read.

He also gave it a 45%, but at the end he scores it differently (3 out of 5, which would be 60%, right?) :scratch:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:59 pm 

That review barely even makes sense... I could barely tell what he was trying to get across. Lot of gibberish it seems.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:04 pm 

Two things I really wish would stop happening:

1) Dumbass kids writing lame contrarian reviews for attention

2) You suckers falling for their bait hook, line, and sinker every single fucking time
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:07 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Two things I really wish would stop happening:

1) Dumbass kids writing lame contrarian reviews for attention

2) You suckers falling for their bait hook, line, and sinker every single fucking time

So when does the next installment of your Jerking the Circle series come out? :wink:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:13 pm 

Spoiler: show
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:45 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

When it comes to music, I fall victim to this one a lot. Kinda glad I saw all of this before reading this mentioned Stained Class review.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:18 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

When it comes to music, I fall victim to this one a lot. Kinda glad I saw all of this before reading this mentioned Stained Class review.

Speaking for myself, if I see a score of under 70 for a Dio album other than Angry Machines, I disregard it as retarded contrarian bullshit. "Don't mess with Dio if you want me to give a shit about your opinions" is largely my motto. One positive though is that those two Dio reviews will probably provide the needed motivation for me to do my re-writes for those two albums, which have been about 2-3 years in the making.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:49 am 

Yeah, that Stained Class review was giving me the creeps.

I mean, I'm not a huge fan of that album either (burn!) but the descriptions are so wrong...i still had to read the whole thing, though, so I guess he got me there.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:16 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Speaking for myself, if I see a score of under 70 for a Dio album other than Angry Machines, I disregard it as retarded contrarian bullshit. "Don't mess with Dio if you want me to give a shit about your opinions" is largely my motto. One positive though is that those two Dio reviews will probably provide the needed motivation for me to do my re-writes for those two albums, which have been about 2-3 years in the making.

I need to visit later Dio solo records. I have yet to hear anything by him that I don't like, be it solo, Sabbath, Rainbow, Elf, or Ronnie Dio & The Prophets (am I missing any?). Either way, I either haven't heard anything post-Lock Up The Wolves, or what I have heard, it's been like five years.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:40 am 

I put Killing the Dragon in the same league as the 80s material. It may even be better since there aren't as many trying to be commercial moments, if any at all.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:36 am 

Magica! MAGICA! Maybe his best record released after "Dehumanizer". Not his heaviest, but it has many amazing moments - especially coming from the man himself.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:34 pm 

I think Master Of The Moon has one of the coolest album covers.... that's all I know such far, haha. I'll put Magica and Killing The Dragon on my "listen to" list for the week.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:38 pm 

Despite my beef with Mailman, that Monstrosity review was actually pretty decent. I'm actually gonna have to check that band out now.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:55 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:

I need to visit later Dio solo records. I have yet to hear anything by him that I don't like, be it solo, Sabbath, Rainbow, Elf, or Ronnie Dio & The Prophets (am I missing any?). Either way, I either haven't heard anything post-Lock Up The Wolves, or what I have heard, it's been like five years.

I'll admit to being a bit biased when it comes to Dio, but pretty much everything that he did other than Angry Machines (a really bad attempt at mixing sludge and progressive influences into their sound) is top-notch, including Lock Up The Wolves and Strange Highways, though the latter is a bit outside of Dio's signature sound. I even loved the stuff they did live with Tracy G in the later 90s.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:57 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
(am I missing any?).

Ronnie and the Redcaps or something like that, right?

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:41 pm 

Was that before the Prophets?

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:41 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Was that before the Prophets?

Yeah, Ronnie and the Red Caps started in 1958 (I think Ronnie was 16 at the time) right after his first project The Vegas Kings and basically did 50s Doo-Wop (aka the stuff heard on the Grease soundtrack) for a couple years. My dad and I actually found something in common musically because of those singles. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew8MUT00aK0
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:05 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I put Killing the Dragon in the same league as the 80s material. It may even be better since there aren't as many trying to be commercial moments, if any at all.

Wasn't that the album where he did a video with Jack Black? C'mon! That album can't compete with the first two classics and you know it!

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:32 am 

Actually, I came here to say that I listened to both of those and I thought Killing The Dragon was absolutely incredible. PROBABLY not Last In Line incredible, but I definitely loved it. Magica was pretty good too but it got somewhat boring at times and it was a bit long....

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:26 pm 

Marco's Satan review duly snagged the words outta my mouth! But what indeed is a DeLorean btw?

Oh, thanks Metantoine, for, indirectly, once again, steering me towards a wicked band album in Tales of Medusa's The Fatal Wounded Gaze...is that your highest ever, at 98%? It appears so...or am I wrong?

Anyhow, yeah, this Marco dude really chooses his write-ups sagaciously!

And, also, TP's Cauldron_New Gods review right off the bat upon its release Friday grandly made my day!
(I can hardly wait to glean it somehow, possibly thru Grande-Rock? I need to re-connect with the cat there...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358, 359 ... 520  Next