Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
genocide_roach
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:46 am 

for $250, you cant really be picky about materials. but ibanez makes a solid low end bass. the construction should be good. i dont like agathis, but you cant expect walnut on a low priced bass. the pickup arrangment should give you a variety of tone
~gR~

maroceffet
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:04 am 

Exkretor wrote:
Here's a section for bass players. Whatever.

To start the thread off: what is your opinion on the use of fretless bass in metal? I myself own one and have been playing bass for 14 years, and I've had the fretless for 3 years.
QELQU'UN PARLE FRANCAIS?

maroceffet
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:06 am 

[quote="Exkretor"]Here's a section for bass players. Whatever.

QELQU'UN PARLE FRANCAIS?

Roco_CTZ
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:47 am 

C'est un forum en anglais. Exkretor a demande si le basse qui n'a pas des frets etait bon pour jouer metal. Il joue a la basse de 14 ans et il a un basse qui n'a pas des frets de 3 ans.

RokRokRok
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:53 pm 

Um..I guess I am supposed to post this here. Anyway I am looking to learn how to play power metal, Black Metal, Doom Metal, Folk Metal, and Viking Metal for the bass. I have absolutely no Bass experience. Where should I start.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:13 am 

RokRokRok wrote:
I have absolutely no Bass experience. Where should I start.

Hmmmmmm... when I started out in Orchestra back in 4th grade and up till 8th grade I played viola, but then switched to play bass backup as well. That helped me get into it and have an easier time adapting.

Either you do that, but if you can't which is likely the case then either learn from someone else, self-teach, or take lessons.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

genocide_roach
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:36 am 

find some tabs and learn them. just so you get a feel for the genres
~gR~

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:50 pm 

genocide_roach wrote:
~gR~

Shouldn't he do that AFTER he learns how to play the bass, since he has no experience at all?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:59 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
genocide_roach wrote:
~gR~

Shouldn't he do that AFTER he learns how to play the bass, since he has no experience at all?

It depends: does he want to learn theory and everything, or does he just want to kick out the jams mothafucka?

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

genocide_roach
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:37 pm 

well hopefully he's read the bajillion other posts about "learning to play X". if not... ROKROKROK: READ THE OTHER LEARNING TO PLAY POSTS. then go find some tabs to learn. also, i hate your name hehehe

or maybe he is a guitar player and already has the basics and he there is a difference in playing bass
~gR~

RokRokRok
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:03 pm 

also, i hate your name hehehe

~gR~[/quote]I hate it to, I just made something up in like a half a second.

cycoholic_slag
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:01 am 

where do i find good black metal tabs?

genocide_roach
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:15 pm 

my new bass:
http://www.basscentral.com/2003/pedulla.shtml

scroll all the way down. its the last one
~gR~

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:31 pm 

genocide_roach wrote:
my new bass:
http://www.basscentral.com/2003/pedulla.shtml

scroll all the way down. its the last one
~gR~

Wow, I have the urge to lick that - its the color scheme. Don't tell me you actually paid $5000+ for that! I can see its the "old sticker," but still.

genocide_roach
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:16 am 

actually, the prices for pedulla went up recently. i paid 3k. sale price plus a military discount

bass central kicks ass. this is the 2nd bass ive purchased from them

and yes, the blue/green burst is sexy
~gR~

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:39 pm 

Ive got an old bass that I don't play much anymore and am interested in de-fretting it. How would I go about this?
I read the story about Jaco Pastorius taking out the frets on his bass and filling in the holes with wood putty. Does this method work?

genocide_roach
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:15 am 

basically, you just pull em out with needlenose pliers fill the slots and sand it down. read this: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71144

lots of experience there

ps: my pedulla came in a couple days ago. it plays like buttah
~gR~

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:36 pm 

genocide_roach wrote:
basically, you just pull em out with needlenose pliers fill the slots and sand it down. read this: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71144

lots of experience there

ps: my pedulla came in a couple days ago. it plays like buttah
~gR~
Thanks for the link, it (eventually) lead to me this one: http://www.geocities.com/charlesarms/

genocide_roach
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:14 pm 

there is a better one that i found yesterday, but i couldnt find it today for some reason.

anyways, talkbass.com is fantastic for these kinds of questions. they have a very active luthier's board. and the amount of gear talk is enough to give any bass player a hardon. i love talking tonewoods with people.

WARNING! below is a rant on building guitars...
starting next year i'm gonna try building some guitars/basses. a hollow picollo 4 string fretless bass (tuned in 5ths. to play cello/violin pieces), 4 string picollo fretted with tremolo, a baritone guitar (using typically bass woods), a guitar with scalloped fretboard, maybe a bass with a scalloped fretboard (we'll see how i like the guitar), and a monster dual necked bass/guitar. ive got alot of ideas, but the first 2 will be the fretless hollow body and the baritone guitar. after that, we'll see how it goes. in any case, i'm sure the guys at talkbass will be able to answer any of my questions.
~gR~

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:33 pm 

genocide_roach wrote:
there is a better one that i found yesterday, but i couldnt find it today for some reason.

anyways, talkbass.com is fantastic for these kinds of questions. they have a very active luthier's board. and the amount of gear talk is enough to give any bass player a hardon. i love talking tonewoods with people.

WARNING! below is a rant on building guitars...
starting next year i'm gonna try building some guitars/basses. a hollow picollo 4 string fretless bass (tuned in 5ths. to play cello/violin pieces), 4 string picollo fretted with tremolo, a baritone guitar (using typically bass woods), a guitar with scalloped fretboard, maybe a bass with a scalloped fretboard (we'll see how i like the guitar), and a monster dual necked bass/guitar. ive got alot of ideas, but the first 2 will be the fretless hollow body and the baritone guitar. after that, we'll see how it goes. in any case, i'm sure the guys at talkbass will be able to answer any of my questions.
~gR~
Bass/guitar sounds badass.

~Guest 117603
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:12 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
Ive got an old bass that I don't play much anymore and am interested in de-fretting it. How would I go about this?
I read the story about Jaco Pastorius taking out the frets on his bass and filling in the holes with wood putty. Does this method work?

It probably would, but to really get the job done properly you should just take it into a shop. Okay, you might not want to spend money on it but it is quite cheap (a lot less than an entry-level fretless bass) and should end up playing well. Otherwise you may end up with problems in the long run.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:21 pm 

MalignantEpitaph wrote:
Masked_Jackal wrote:

It probably would, but to really get the job done properly you should just take it into a shop. Okay, you might not want to spend money on it but it is quite cheap (a lot less than an entry-level fretless bass) and should end up playing well. Otherwise you may end up with problems in the long run.
I could do this for a much easier go, but my main reason for doing this is to get comfortable with taking apart a bass and learning about it. I really don't care much what happens to the bass (don't care if I can't play it), but I just want the learning experience. If I come out with a fretless that actually plays well it's just a bonus.

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:39 pm 

Cort GB 75

Tried it out yesterday and it looks like it's going to be my new one. Price: 603 hard-earned € :D

Or maybe an Ibanez SRX 355

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:04 am 

DeathForBlitzkrieg wrote:

I was thinking about getting that.... (once I need a new one)

RottenBodyFluids
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:13 am 

I'm definitely a fan of fretless basses and contrary to popular belief, they're really not very difficult to play. You have to be a little more careful about your positioning than you do with a standard, fretted neck but if you have a good feel for where you are on the neck, they actually play a little easier.

A nice fretless bass is my next major purchase, after a new head. Unfortunately, I don't know of any fretless BC Rich basses...

genocide_roach
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:53 am 

if youre looking for better basses, especially a fretless, its time to leave BC Rich the past. very clumsy basses. no progression going on there.

time to step it up a notch
~gR~

RottenBodyFluids
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:07 pm 

genocide_roach wrote:
if youre looking for better basses, especially a fretless, its time to leave BC Rich the past. very clumsy basses. no progression going on there.

time to step it up a notch
~gR~

I completely disagree. I have an NJ neck-thru Warlock and it is the most comfortable bass I've ever owned or played. I used to play Ibanez Soundgear basses but after switching to BC Rich, anything else just feels like a plaything.

genocide_roach
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:30 pm 

you should try playing some high end stuff. i dont know where youre located, but make your way to bass central in florida or ed romans in las vegas.

play:
dingwall
ritter
benavente
pedulla (especially for fretless)
zon

my dingwall puts anything EVER built by bc rich to shame. playability and tone.

there is more to bass than what you can get in guitar center...

EDIT: just for reference, i owned a 5 string NJ warlock for years. it was top heavy and slow on the neck
~gR~

Grajo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:28 pm 

I am trying to teach myself how to swich from 2 finger picking to using a pick immediatly during a song... I noticed a sure difference in sound from the both... and for tremoloing - I can do it with 2 fingers, just not as fast as I wish I could... I use the 3 finger method when playing on many strings going up and down them, or with triplets... it is always good to have 3 fingers, 2 fingers, and pick in your arsenal for playing.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:33 pm 

latinfiestacarnage wrote:
DeathForBlitzkrieg wrote:

I was thinking about getting that.... (once I need a new one)

I've tried the SRX 5-strings, they feel awful IMO, at least as far as the neck is concerned.

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:13 pm 

That was exactly what I felt when I tried it. It doesn't fit your hand, it just feels weird.

So I got the Cort GB 75 five-string (picture above) last Saturday - I somehow missed to post the actual purchase here - and it's really nice.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:41 pm 

Nice, Corts are supposed to be excellent quality, I think due to them being made in the same factory as some other brand.

When I get round to getting a 5-string it'll probably be a Cort, unless I somehow end up with loads of money.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:05 am 

How would an Ibanez RD300 be for beginners? It seems fairly good.

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:04 am 

NeglectedField wrote:
When I get round to getting a 5-string it'll probably be a Cort, unless I somehow end up with loads of money.

Yeah, well, for me this purchase was already a more expensive one. It's almost been two years since I got my first bass, a Yamaha RBX-something, for €210 at my 15th birthday and this summer holidays I worked hard (six out of nine weeks) to be able to self-finance a better one. I wanted to spend between 600 and 1000 Euro and that I ended up with the satisfying purchase of the Cort for 603 Euro is only good for my 'rest-of-the-year'-budget.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:15 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
How would an Ibanez RD300 be for beginners? It seems fairly good.

Looks alright, plus you got that nice musicman style 'bucker there.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:29 pm 

I'm looking for a 5-string bass for christmas. I have a p-bass right now, but im trying to move away from Fender. Ive been playing bass for mayb 5 months about twice a day for 15 minutes to 1 hour each sitting. I'm curious what are good semi-cheap 5 string basses. The Tom araya esp looks pretty good (the 5 string version). My price range is maybe 0-650.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:39 am 

latinfiestacarnage wrote:
I'm looking for a 5-string bass for christmas. I have a p-bass right now, but im trying to move away from Fender. Ive been playing bass for mayb 5 months about twice a day for 15 minutes to 1 hour each sitting. I'm curious what are good semi-cheap 5 string basses. The Tom araya esp looks pretty good (the 5 string version). My price range is maybe 0-650.

Canadian dollars I assume?

I'd say look at:

Warwick Rockbass series
Yamaha RBX375 (plays lovely, reviews say beware of faulty electronics and fast-dying batteries)
Ibanez BTB205
Schecter Stiletto
Dean Edge 5
ESP/LTDs in general

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:00 pm 

I got SRX-300 bass by Ibanez. It is my first proper bass and I have it for 3 years by now. I am very satisfied with it, except for some minor buzzing on some frets. It is good for the beginners, but profies would expect the quality of the instrument to be better, which would allow for more precision and clarity in sound.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:04 am 

I restrung my bass yesterday with a sensible gauge, it sounds a lot less sloppy now, and more piano-like and steely.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:08 pm 

NeglectedField wrote:
I restrung my bass yesterday with a sensible gauge, it sounds a lot less sloppy now, and more piano-like and steely.
I love that sound.

Recently restrung my bass as well, but Ive gotta fool around with the action a bit.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 51  Next