Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:53 pm 

Go go Wolfy. I'm really intrigued to listen to your stuff!
Meanwhile working with 3 guys from MA on death-metal band project. Soon samples to come.
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:22 am 

New song sounds great.

did a very rough mix of this 22min long song I'll upload a link for anyone interested. I'm already uploading it for the vocalist right now anyway.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:34 am 

I would like to hear it please!

So I might restart my powerviolence/fastcore band I did drums on. Had to stop it due to being too busy. I want a female vocalist though, hopefully my friend can do it.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:47 am 

infinitenexus wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
Congratulations! With two days of practice, you are now officially a better drummer than Lars, who cannot play "One".

ahahahahah. I remember seeing some videos of them playing live and his kicks are super sloppy on the famous fast part. If it weren't for songs like "dyer's eve" I would say he's total shit.

Given that he cannot play it live and it was probably edited to hell in the studio, "total shit" is pretty much right.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:51 am 

Makes songs like dyers eve all the more amazing. And lars all the more shit.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:55 am 

Oh nice job on the new song you just posted btw, on the drums I mean. I guess some non-drumming musician advice I could give you is that rudiments, accents and tightness is infinitely more important than speed or technicality, just like on guitar how tight solid chugging and a wailing vibrato is more important than fast shredding. So many drummers I come across just want to be faster and faster with no regard to tempo or phrasing/feel.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:15 am 

Yeah I definitely need to work on my consistency. That should come with time and practice though. I've only been playing for two days, after all. I'm hoping after a week I'll be able to play a slow blast beat.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:56 am 

Oh of course, no slight to ya haha, just my 5c on whatever I can offer based on all I know about drumming and drummers.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:46 am 

Okay here it is uploaded to mediafail
https://www.mediafire.com/?41cbid0tno8ohcm

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:55 am 

Finally finished all the artwork and everything for Yfel's album, and now I have physical copies available. I have today off so I'm going to try to finish a Saloth EP as well.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:13 pm 

Nice. Looking forward to it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:00 pm 

I'm wanting to put together a super portable recording rig to set on my nightstand, so if I'm struck by any creativity right before I sleep I can grab a guitar and hammer something out and record it real quick. It would have to be analog, so I could just flip a switch and press record, no waiting for shit to power on. I'm thinking maybe an old portastudio, one of the smaller ones, and some small computer speakers - of which I conveniently have a spare pair - and I'll just directly plug a guitar right into it. So I'd need a distortion pedal or something then. Hmmmm. And I want to do it super cheap, and vintage stuff is always a plus. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:17 pm 

You can do a Dave Mustaine and sing into a voicemail message and send it to yourself ahahaha.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:20 am 

One of the vocalists of Inerds who also played in Avulsion and SorExcuse might do a band with me. She is awesome at voxkills so I'm stoked if she can do so when she moves to Rochester.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:12 pm 

somefella wrote:
You can do a Dave Mustaine and sing into a voicemail message and send it to yourself ahahaha.

hahahahah, awesome.

Gonna try to be super productive this weekend. I'm going to try to finish a Devourer in the Mist full length and a Saloth EP. I know I can finish the EP, not so sure about the full length.

Also bidding on some drum mics on eBay at the moment. I want to keep my current one mic setup, since it sounds surprisingly decent, but run that track through a high pass filter and then record the kick drum seperately, so I can get a better overall sound.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:33 pm 

Just did some vocals and sent em on. Now I might go about writing KP's side for the Dragunov/KP split.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:10 pm 

Welp, my band has finished the recording of our 3rd album and we are on to the mixing stage! I'm both really excited and nervous about this record- the last one we went for a mix of catchy, anthemic synth pop and dark, textured post-punky stuff but we've tried to do something a bit different this time. All the previous elements are still there but it's structurally and sonically different. We've got a couple really short songs with only one chorus, we've designed it to been seen and hopefully feel like two different movements, and we really pushed ourselves to use new or different guitar and synth sounds. Some of it is pretty awesome but it definitely steps outside the sound we've established over the years.

Shit, I even sing lead on a song! So yeah, I'm fairly proud of the work we've done and moving in new directions is exciting but I think we've put in so much work and are too close to objectively assess how it's gonna turn out. At least that's how I feel, our vocalist/song-writer is sure it's going to be our best work yet, so we'll see.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:39 pm 

When you perform live will you be wearing gear that puts Elton John's 70's look to shame?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:23 pm 

I need to find some good websites to submit my music to for more reviews and exposure. Especially doom and black. I just feel so lazy with that stuff lately, all I want to do is write music, I don't want to be bothered with promoting it or anything.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:26 pm 

I know exactly what you mean. I'm exactly the same way. My wife tells me I need to do that more so I tell her to find me some and then that's as far as that goes cause she doesn't bother either. Most interviews and reviews all stemmed from someone coming across it somehow. I wish I had the desire to pay someone to promote it, but I rather take that bit of money and use it to release another album.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:30 pm 

Well, here's my two cents, both of you guys should take the time and little extra money it takes to promote your stuff further. Both of you have your own very good respective catalog of material and you would definitely benefit from more exposure.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:41 pm 

I just got an email from a metal webzine in brazil asking for a promo copy of my Yfel album, so I'm gonna send him Yfel and Licrest. An extra bit couldn't help, and with kunaki that only costs like a buck and a half more. I might even get an interview out of it, that would be sweet.

4 songs done or mostly done for the Saloth EP. 7 songs done or mostly done for my Devourer in the Mist album. I really want a cool lovecraftian picture for the cover of the Devourer album, but the ones I've found that I liked, when I asked the artists if I could purchase it for an album cover, they never replied. So fuck 'em. Maybe I can find an old medieval woodcutting or something with monsters on it. That's what I used for the cover of my Saloth EP.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:56 pm 

Promotion is tough. My band dropped a bunch of money on a very reputable publicist company last album, and we got on a ton of blogs, reviews, podcasts, indie radio stations, plus the odd interview. And we got downloads from other parts of the world (it was very modest- I think around 300 between Europe and South America), which is awesome cause all I want is to share my music. But looking at the idea of creating a 'successful' band I'm not so sure. It goes back to the pro/con debate of digital distribution/promotion- yeah your music gets out there because it's easily accessible, but out of every download how many people do you actually get who'd support the band through buying merch or going to a show? Don't get me wrong, I don't aim for anything but sharing my music with people but it's hard to say how effective online promotion is.

I feel like this might be different with extreme metal though. Less money and bullshit flowing around than pop music, so having personal contacts or supporters/fans who can push your stuff independently might be more effective.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:58 pm 

I have no aspirations of being successful or anything like that, I would just like to spread my music around more. And I think it's good music for the most part and a lot of people would like it. And it's definitely tougher than pop music. Hell, I'd be super happy to just break even on my next OSR album, which would be probably $50-100 bucks or so. Even that can be tough. I definitely need to promote more.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:17 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
And it's definitely tougher than pop music.

Nah, in terms of not caring about success or money or whatever and just spreading the music to people, it is the opposite. Sure, it's a much smaller audience, but being a generally non-profitable genre the people involved in promoting, posting, talking about and sharing extreme metal do it because they love the music. Not to be popular or profitable. Sure it's a small community, but look at even just the posters on this board. Small bands with small releases can find an audience here. Remember that band from Alaska last year (Bound by Entrails I want to say?) Small independent group who did 300 pressings and sold out in days based on people here sharing it. No one is out there seeking and discussing obscure releases of indie pop musicians.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:26 pm 

I definitely see your point there. I would absolutely LOVE to sell 300 copies of an album. I'd die happy if I could do that.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:36 pm 

infinite, I can draw or paint you something for your album art. I'm surprised you never bothered to ask me but then again I didn't consider that you don't like my style.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:21 am 

I like your style plenty, it's just not the style I'm going for with Devourer. I wanted something like this for the cover art:
http://justmick.deviantart.com/art/Cthulhu-337591324

That being said, I like what you did with the album on the far right:

I was thinking for the back cover, something like that but with tentacles instead of spikes could look pretty awesome, with the band logo and track listing in the middle.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:43 am 

I can paint shit just like what you posted. I'm not just schooled in one type of art.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:52 am 

PAINT PAINT PAINT PAINT PAINT PAIN TPAIN TPAIN TPAIN!

Wait, t-pain?

Yeah I want something dark and monsterous, with cthulhu or some other lovecraftian monster-like scene. Something gloomy, probably with lots of dark blues and dark greens and dark grays and blacks.

That does remind me though, I need to pick up a couple of your paintings for my studio and for presents. The cat ones are just awesome.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:56 am 

Sweet. I'll get to it in the next few weeks I have to finish up this portrait of children for a girl and then I can start on that.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:40 am 

Thanks! Just lemme know when you're starting on it, I can send you a few things that I liked so you can get the kind of "mood" i want.

Did you ever study art or is this a self-taught thing? I've tried and I have zero artistic talent beyond putting a few things together in photochop.

Oh, and how do I order cave paints? Do I just tell you the specific ones I want and then paypal you the moolah?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:45 am 

Oh and we're also going to need some art for the breaking wheel. That's all on you since I have no artistic abilities.

PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:56 am 

Yea just message me on facebook since you have that on what you want, and hell you can send me the 'mood' pieces as well. I'll be done with this other painting in a few days.

It's all self taught. I had classes in high school and college but neither taught me anything but how to do blind contour drawings. It literally killed any and all desire to paint or draw for years cause my teacher hated me cause my grandfather is well know and has paintings in both the White House and the Smithsonian Museum. So since she was jealous of that she took it out on me and hell at that time I didn't even realize he was that popular, I just thought everyone had a grandfather or relative that sat around and painted. Didn't realize how special it was till later.

Oh I figured I'd do the breaking wheel artwork when it was closer to needing it and discussing what we were going to do for the cover. I have to also send you the cleaner kicks for those last two songs so they match the other three. I forgot to do so till now.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:18 pm 

Alrighty, I'll send it to you on there.

That's pretty cool about you being mostly self taught. I've tried various mediums and I've done a couple neat sketches via pencils and shading, but other than that I'm horrible. Don't worry about the cleaner kicks for the breaking wheel, I've actually gotten around the issue and essentially fixed it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:42 pm 

Well pin a rose on your nose!

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:47 pm 

I'm finishing up the drum parts for the song clip I posted in the main forum. For those of you who liked that clip, there's a hell of a lot more where that came from.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:52 pm 

Good deal!! Looking forward to hearing it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:06 pm 

Just redid the guitar tracks for 3 breaking wheel songs. Tomorrow I'll do the others. I've got 3 songs close to done, a 4th just needs new guitars and mixing, and I haven't started the 5th. It's turning out well though.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:07 pm 

Had to study for college finals today so I didn't do anything musically related other than take out a my old guitar which I hadn't used in some months and cleaned it up, restringing it and dusting it off, all that jazz. The axe I use now definitely sounds better, but this old one was a joy to play, I recorded my parts on Great Architect.. with it.

Hopefully this is visible, it's a video playthrough off an older Oshiego song that I recorded initially as a reference for our new bassist since I didn't have the time to teach it to him. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 185  Next