Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:46 pm 

Practicing guitar for the first time in months. Typically I just do band practice but I really want to get better so I'm jamming on the old acoustic doing scales and just playing in general.

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:07 pm 

Stuck with the ideas on song nr.2 for the MA forum members project...
Song II
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:01 am 

My band, Funeral Age, just opened for Morbid Angel on Monday. The crowd was amazing, I fucking love playing in front of the "Death Metal Crowds", they just have a crazy amount of energy!
Here is a video from that show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pHULhiweWs
Now we are going on a short break, but once we start back up we will begin recording for our third album.

My other band, Dalla Nebbia, released our debut album entitled "The Cusp of the Void" through Razed Soul Productions. It has gotten great reviews so far and I am stoked to see where this band will go! The songs or our next album are about 90% complete, so i plan on recording those drum tracks very soon.

The guitarist/founder of Dalla Nebbia and I are starting a doom project. All the songs are more or less complete (this guy has an insane amount of work ethic when it comes to writing riffs and songs) so I am going to be recording drums next month and we will hopefully be shooting for a late Winter, early-mid Spring release of it.

Links to Funeral Age and Dalla Nebbia can be found in my signature!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:10 am 

Been a fan of Funeral Age for quite awhile, we've spoke a few times before. Dalla... well you did some good work on that but I don't dig it much.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:06 pm 

Volunteered at a football game yesterday, ended up working 12 hours there and didn't get home until after 2am. At least the money went to a good place so that's good. My sleep schedule is just slightly fucked now.

Gonna try to get a Neil Peart drumming video to help me learn. I can do some double kicks pretty decently and I'm doing alright on blast beats, but I want to make sure I learn a lot of the rudiments and stuff as well. Then I'm going to finish the guitar tracks for the breaking wheel EP and try to finish mixing it, so tomorrow I can work on the mastering process.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:11 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Been a fan of Funeral Age for quite awhile, we've spoke a few times before. Dalla... well you did some good work on that but I don't dig it much.

Thanks man! It definitely isn't for everybody, but I really liked what I heard when they found me on YouTube and couldn't pass the opportunity :)

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:30 pm 

Had a practice with the black metal band today, we started writing a new track, which is pretty weird. It starts out with a riff that's quite Dissection-ish, before switching into something a bit more "trad" black metal, before going into a riff that sounds like if a tense part in a silent film soundtrack was played by Immortal. All of this played at a stupidly fast tempo. It shouldn't work. But it does. Somehow...

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:20 pm 

Finished another track for a new EP I've been working on last night: http://unlifedeathmetal.bandcamp.com/track/eyes-of-soth
Kinda different than what I normally do, but I'm pleased with how it turned out..

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:40 pm 

Picked up an old 4 track cassette portastudio last night on the 'bay. Also got a digitech metal master pedal, as it got excellent reviews, it was dirt cheap, and it apparently has an output that's already speaker emulated. So I'm going to run that right into the portastudio and keep it next to my bed, so if a riff strikes me in the middle of the night I can just turn on it and record no worries about excess noise or tubes warming up or anything like that. Also cleaning up and rearranging my studio today, and I may take my desk outside and build some additions onto it, for more storage and to integrate my power strip into the desk, as well as build a pocket for my audio interface to go. But it's like 33 degrees outside so I probably won't, haha.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:53 pm 

Awblaster wrote:
It shouldn't work. But it does. Somehow...

A lot of my favorite things I've worked on with other people shouldn't work on paper, but came about naturally and felt right. I take it as a sign you've got something good!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:53 pm 

Decided to do the smart thing, and next time I'm ready to release an album/EP, I'm going to sit on it for a week or two and listen to it. That way I'll be more certain of what I like and don't like, and I can make some last minute changes before I commit to a release.

Wrote part of a Devourer song, cleaned up my studio a bit, bought a 14" crash off eBay for dirt cheap, overall a reasonably successful productive day.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:25 pm 

Decided to call my OSDM band Eternal Oblivion. As soon as I redo all the guitar tracks and some of the vocals I think I can release an EP.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:27 am 

Was going to get up and go to the shed but I just didn't feel like it. Stayed around the house and painted and did some lyrics.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:48 pm 

Finally got off my ass and got some stuff done. Redid the guitar tracks for 4 Eternal Oblivion songs for an EP, made a logo, and mastered a few songs. Also finalized my OSDM guitar tone.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:20 pm 

I wrote some more lyrics and I wrote a couple of KP songs for the Dragunov split.

still throwing ideas back and forth about what I'm going to do for the split with Nostril Caverns.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:31 pm 

Burned some of my upcoming stuff on a CD and listened to it on the way to a local brewery where I had dinner with some friends. I decided I'm not going to release the Saloth EP until I get another mic for the kick drum. The one mic method sounds pretty good overall but the kick drum has no solid low end to it. So once I get another mic I'm going to redo the drums using the same one mic method but with a kick drum mic also, so I can get a good solid thwack out of that kick drum. Nothing's worse than some low, heavy death metal with a super thin kick drum. And I wasn't paying attention to my eBay auctions and I missed a nice kick drum mic that went for 15 bucks. I'll get the next one. My OSDM mix is sounding good though, I just need to adjust the cymbals and the snare and add a few fills to make it sound a bit less boring on the drum aspect. I would drum for my OSDM but there's some parts that I simply can't do on the kick drums and won't be able to for a while. I guess I could practice though hahaha. Right now I can do double kicks at about 140-150bpm, but my OSDM has some spots that needs it at 188bpm. That's going to take some practice.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:52 pm 

What brewery?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:19 am 

friscos. It's a local microbrewery and burger place. They have some really great beers, I had the IPA and a bison burger. Fantastic.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:24 am 

Huh. The one on Dobbin Road? For some reason I've never even heard of it but their beer list looks pretty phenomenal...

If you get a chance you should go to Victoria Gastro Pub (in the same area) and get the duck poutine. And lots of beer.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:44 am 

I've heard some samples of that one-mic method, and to be honest it's nowhere near as good as I'd like, supposing I were to get someone to session on drums and he did that.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:53 pm 

Well I thought they sounded good. They sounded raw and real and you could hear every hit clearly. Plus it's just nice to be able to record everything yourself and you have to start somewhere. :)

That's cool SLK. Actually, my sister and her husband got me a pair of Lars Ulrich drum sticks and I think they're actually really awesome for blast beats. The snare hits are louder and more consistent in volume than my regular vic firth 5B's. I'm totally going to use them for recording our split stuff.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:19 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Huh. The one on Dobbin Road? For some reason I've never even heard of it but their beer list looks pretty phenomenal...

If you get a chance you should go to Victoria Gastro Pub (in the same area) and get the duck poutine. And lots of beer.

Yeah that one. A woman I work with, her husband is one of the brewers at frisco. Thanks for the rec, I'll check that place out.

Are you in the Baltimore area?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:22 pm 

somefella wrote:
I've heard some samples of that one-mic method, and to be honest it's nowhere near as good as I'd like, supposing I were to get someone to session on drums and he did that.

With the right mic it can be good for jazz and maybe country. But for metal I don't think it's sufficient for anything other than a demo, mainly because of the kick drum sound. I'm using a cheap old mic so that's affecting my sound quality, that's for sure. But I think this one mic method (maybe if I use my rode nt1a) along with a second mic on the kick drum should produce reasonable results for one of my rawer projects.

Now for something more polished, I absolutely agree with you. If I were drumming on some of my more highly produced bands, I would settle for no less than a mic on each drum, two stereo overheads, and probably a room mic.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:16 pm 

Having some wine and trying to finish some songs for my Devourer in the Mist album. And basically I'm starting more songs and finishing none. Hahaha, always happens. I have so many half-finished songs it's unreal. Ah well, I'll finish a song or two soon and I'll be ready to release a full length. I'm really happy with how this album is turning out. I think I really captured a nice early Gothenburg style of melodeath without any wankery, just plenty of heavy melodic riffs that don't fizz out. I should maybe add another guitar solo or two, but it's fine without it. And I've almost nailed the Clayman guitar tone, which is fucking awesome, because I think that's about the best guitar tone ever.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:39 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
Having some wine and trying to finish some songs for my Devourer in the Mist album. And basically I'm starting more songs and finishing none. Hahaha, always happens. I have so many half-finished songs it's unreal.

Ugh, me too! I sequestered myself for the weekend to try to finish vocals and start mixing an EP of 6 songs and while I got 2 of them done I ended up writing and demoing 3 more. Not a bad weekend overall and writing lots is certainly not a bad thing, but not really what I was aiming for. I think part of it is that the most gratifying part of the process for me is the initial act of creation. Having something finished is super rewarding, but I find finalizing stuff and mixing my own music a bit of a grind.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:12 pm 

I agree with you 100%. Once I start a new project/album I tend to set up a "template" beforehand of guitar tones, drums, bass, etc, that's already pretty decently mixed, so all I really have to worry about is the mastering aspect, but I hate that. I'd rather just write music. And yeah, whenever I set out to finish songs I usually just end up starting more. Case in point, out of about 8 half songs for Devourer, I just wanted to finish one... Instead I started 3 more songs. Hahah oh well, at least I enjoyed myself, and in the end that's all that matters.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:27 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
somefella wrote:

With the right mic it can be good for jazz and maybe country. But for metal I don't think it's sufficient for anything other than a demo, mainly because of the kick drum sound. I'm using a cheap old mic so that's affecting my sound quality, that's for sure. But I think this one mic method (maybe if I use my rode nt1a) along with a second mic on the kick drum should produce reasonable results for one of my rawer projects.

Now for something more polished, I absolutely agree with you. If I were drumming on some of my more highly produced bands, I would settle for no less than a mic on each drum, two stereo overheads, and probably a room mic.

My point exactly. You can hear what's going on and all but it lacks power and clarity. When you write stuff that want's to syncopate stuff like cymbal mutes and chords or rolling double bass and tremolo chugging it's not going to do.

Here's something I've come across too, you can try micing the snare with 2 mics, one above and one below. This apparently results in a more focused and tighter attack, perfect for blasting and stuff.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:56 pm 

Oh absolutely. For a truly professional sound, both sides of the snare are miced. The top gets most of the volume, and the bottom gets the "trashiness" so to speak. Eventually when I have the cash, I'll build up my arsenal of microphones and have a mic per drum, as well as two overheads and I'll be able to get my perfect drum sounds. Of course that will take a huge shit ton of EQ, compression, and reverb to get the sounds that I want, but I'm looking forward to it. For now, with my limited equipment, I'll have to settle for my two mic drumset sounds (once my bass drum mic comes in). But that's only for the more raw stuff. For my more "professionally" mastered stuff, like OSR and Devourer, I'll continue to use EZdrummer until my drumming and the sound of my drums matches what I can do with software. So it may take a while lol.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:47 pm 

Okay, I just have to say this. After listening to the tracks that I so painstakingly rerecorded, I FUCKING HATE THE CELESTION VINTAGE 30. It is a shit sounding speaker that is nothing but horrid midrange and I don't know how anyone has gotten a good sound out of it (note: many have). I seriously need a new speaker that is capable of more than 1200Hz. Fuck this shitty speaker.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:50 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
Are you in the Baltimore area?

I'm in Montgomery County. I went to UMBC though so I hung out in Catonsville/Baltimore/Ellicott City/Columbia quite a bit.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:09 am 

Oh sweet. You're like right next to me. I live in Severn, right off of Fort Meade. If you ever want to form a shitty band, let me know and I'll provide the shittiness.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:28 am 

Clogged I use these for drum sticks:
Spoiler: show

if you are unfamiliar with them. they are basically tree trunks. Imagine 2B but they are a bit longer and thicker.

infinitenexus:
You better start finishing some songs for that cause this week I'm going to start painting the cover art for that material. I finished my commission piece

somefella:
here is something I recorded and shockingly turned out great using one mic:
http://youtu.be/Mrg2J2rQaPs

One mic meaning a single mic pretty much towards the middle of the room for everything captured. No EQing, no overlays, purely single takes that were what we hoped for best was demos for us to listen to remember the songs. turned out better so we made it a release.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:43 am 

yeah haha, the Corpse Masters are beasts. I've got a pair of them in my scrap pile somewhere.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:27 am 

Won't be doing much musically for a while since, as it stands, I believe I am finally going to be moving on the 13th, so long as the weather isn't ass. 10 days and I'll be 10 hours away from this god forsaken shithole. Definitely gonna be weird, since I'm moving from a place with like 3500 people, to a place with around 150,000 people, right in the middle of the city, whereas I live like 15 miles from anything just about.

Suppose I could try to push out another couple of tracks in the last days I live here, but we'll see, as I haven't even packed all my shit up yet..

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:49 am 

Wrote two shorter songs and a medium length song for CBF. Going to use all the songs for a split. Going to try and write more songs like the newer stuff I've done. Less crusty d-beat-y stuff and more thrash-y crazy grind with alot of parts.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:37 am 

Unlife, just pack up and not worry about it till you are nice and settled. Unless you are using the writing as a bit of a stress relief so you don't freakout during the move.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:10 pm 

Been jamming some crust/sludge stuff lately. I'll probably try to get some of it recorded during my break between semesters. It'll be nothing worth releasing to the public I'm sure, but really need to get the practice so I can get to that level eventually.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:10 pm 

I have a song that I've been sitting on for about 2 years, and turns out it's perfect for Devourer. Very gothenburgy and melodic but heavy and chugging. I retracked the guitars, and I may redo the vocals and bass. So with that, I have 8 songs for an album, but I'm debating on whether or not to use the song that started this whole project. I like it, but the clean singing in the chorus is starting to grind on my nerves, and it's still a bit "deathcorey". I may just delete the chorus and write something else in there. I dunno. I want to use the song because it's got some awesome riffs, I just need to redo the chorus I guess.

Got my splash cymbal and stand in the mail and finally set it up on my drums and messed around with it yesterday. It's certainly nice having two cymbals instead of one, that's for certain. I have a 14" crash coming in the mail soon, that'll set things up nicely. Then I just need to replace this shitty crash/ride cheapo cymbal with a decent ride, and I'll be set for a while.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:46 pm 

Just picked up a Crate GX-130C for 30 bucks. From what I've been discussing with another gear collector and fan of Ampeg told me these are basically like the poorman version of the Ampeg VH140C. So I guess I'll find out.

Did vocals for 3 KP songs that's going to be another short ep.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:18 am 

Got my brand new Jackson Pro Dinky which will have it's first gig on Friday the 13th!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 185  Next