Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:45 am 

Nice! I want a Jackson :/

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:16 am 

I asked for a Jackson Randy Rhoads V for Christmas.

>_>

They're on sale. Also, I've had the same guitar for three years.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:09 pm 

The RRV is an amazing guitar. My other guitarist uses one, with Duncan JB in the bridge. Great sound and great playability.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:23 pm 

I love me some Jackson but I don't like Dinkys

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:23 pm 

I don't like Jackson necks. I had a Jackson Kelly, and while it was an awesome looking guitar, the balance was poor (even after moving the front strap button) and I never liked the neck. Most people do like Jacksons for metal though, and I must admit the RRV is a great looking guitar. I'm very picky with guitar necks.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:52 pm 

Jackson was my first guitar, actually. A black JS32 V, with that infernal Floyd Rose contraption.. I just keep it in E now though, cause I don't want to deal with adjusting the tension and intonation and all that bullshit anymore. Great guitar though. Stock pickups are real nice, and I love how slim the neck is and everything, but the placement of the top strap button was so retarded.. It would fall neck first anytime you let go of it, so I put it in the top right corner of the neck plate, now it holds perfectly. Believe I paid $300 for it.

FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:16 pm 

Headed to Watchmen Studios in Buffalo to lay down bass for our debut full-length tomorrow. My first time recording in a real studio. Very excited, can't wait!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:29 pm 

Sounds awesome, hope it all turns out well.

I have 6 songs done for my Devourer album, and 2 that I need to write lyrics for. And I have an instrumental that I want to end the album with, reminiscent of at the gates' "The flames of the end". Hopefully my kick drum mic will get here soon so I can redo the drums for my saloth EP. But right now I'm just focused on Devourer in the Mist. I still have to think of an album name, too. Ah well, that can come last.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:21 pm 

I love jackson necks. My favorite guitar is a Jackson Kelly and the balance of mine is perfect.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:14 am 

Fixed my Ibanez and it sounds awesome. Show with In Defence went well but there was another show in Buffalo and right after In Defence played like 15 people left and it was pretty bare. Would have been better if there wasn't another show the same day but still a good show.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:47 pm 

Good deal.

well it has started... started recording for the next Yzordderrex album. I got one song down today.

also did 5 KP vocal tracks

then some idiot came to the shed and stunk the entire place up with fucking incense and pot. I fucking hate both.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:53 pm 

I laid down the vocals for the Silencing Void Dweller track I posted on the main forum a little while back today. You guys can listen to the full track here: https://treeweaver.bandcamp.com/track/silencing-void-dweller

I feel your pain SLK. I smell pot everywhere in this town, luckily I'm moving back to Ohio soon and I won't have to deal with a bunch of retarded hippies smoking up every ten minutes and driving like shit 24/7.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:53 am 

Tell me about it. I hate it when musicians show up for rehearsals or gigs wasted or high and then play like absolute shit. If you can perform while under the influence, by all means shoot or smoke up. If not, fucking die.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:39 am 

My main guitar is a Jackson RR1 and the Dinky is a little bit different to play on. But I needed a guitar that I can use live when I don't want to bring my RR1 with me.

I'm going to buy a matching cab for my 6505 the next month or so.

FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:11 pm 

Done tracking bass. I played through an awesome old Trace Elliot amp that the studio had, with a little bit of distortion on my signal. Sounded nasty and snarly, I was really happy with my tone. Guitars done on an Engl Fireball.. needless to say, the pre-mixes sound SICK. I can't wait to hear the finished product.

Vocals and mixing next week..

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:12 pm 

I smoke and drink during practice and before shows. Kind of the reason I like playing early on in the show cause I can get it out of the way and have fun and not have to worry about getting too wild before our set.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:53 pm 

I wouldn't practice with you if you smoked anything else aside from a cig in my presense. If you care going to do that shit I don't want it around me. the stink makes me sick.

I don't mind someone drinking a bit at practice if it loosens them up. but not to the point it makes them sloppy cause then you are just wasting everyone's time.

used to have a Trace Elliot. I ended up trading it off since at that time I didn't need it, had some wiring problem. and well i wanted some guitar gear cause I didn't have any but more bass gear since that's what I was mainly playing live outside of drums.

lots of shit to be done today.

FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:48 pm 

I think I play better after some beers. I have no idea, though, if that's because I'm used to being a little buzzed when I practice so I actually do play better, or because the alcohol makes me notice small mistakes less (in which case maybe I play worse...)

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:04 pm 

Porman wrote:
My main guitar is a Jackson RR1 and the Dinky is a little bit different to play on. But I needed a guitar that I can use live when I don't want to bring my RR1 with me.

I'm going to buy a matching cab for my 6505 the next month or so.

A lot of the pros (andy sneap, and the guy who recorded Clayman) prefer Engl cabs with V30s in them. Just something I've read recently.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:07 pm 

I like to have some wine when I'm sitting here writing and sometimes recording, but I would never have more than one drink before playing a show. Yes it loosens you up a bit, but it can also make you sloppy and not care. When you look at alcohols effects on the body and mind, they tend to be things that don't so well with clean playing.

The mic holding inside my isolation cab wasn't quite long enough to do what I want, forcing me to point my mic midway between the dustcap and surround of my speaker, which on a V30 sounds like midrangey shit. I finally got a longer mic arm (just by an inch or so) and got my mic pointed right at the edge of the dust cap, straight on, and wow it sounds totally different. I don't quite hate this speaker anymore. Still not my favorite, but it actually sounds decent now.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:33 pm 

Nah, I'm getting the matching cab.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:11 pm 

Okay. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Finished re-re-re-re-re-re-recording the guitar tracks to the grind collab. Finally got a guitar sound that I'm pretty happy with. I've got a few more tricks to try to get rid of the boxy sound of the isolation cab and the V30 and I think it'll be really nice. But for now I"m happy with the sound I've got.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:12 am 

Going to start writing stuff for another split/collab album soon. Going to really put time and effort into it too as most of the other songs were written during practice. But I'm going to go over older songs and change them up to make them more faster/tighter/flow better.

2014 is going to be the best year.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:17 am 

Ported a hole in the resonator head of my kick drum using the can of food and stove technique. Works like a charm. Also got my kick mic set up and a really nice kick drum sound going on. Now I just need my neighbors to leave for a while so I can bang away at the drums and redo all the Saloth drum tracks. Can't find my second small mic stand, so I'm having to use my nice one that I use for vocals, with the boom all doubled over and bent all the way down so it can reach the kick drum. I really don't like that I can't find my second small stand. If this two mic technique sounds good enough, I may go ahead and lay down a bunch of short drum tracks for a future grindcore EP. Then I'll work on finishing the breaking wheel collab EP. Just gotta write some lyrics at this point. Then I may try to tweak my guitar tone.

And I agree the wizard, 2014 will be a great year musically. What genre is your split going to be?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:58 pm 

Demoed drums tonight for yet another project Josh and I are doing. This one is gonna be straight black metal, only as over the top and ridiculous as we can possibly get while still staying in our respective comfort zones playing wise. The drums I did tonight have Cryptopsy speed blasting in them, if that's any indication to what he and I are doing.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:35 pm 

Well, I recorded some drums today that were notably slower than cryptopsy speed, haha. Managed to get one song recorded before my neighbors came home, and then I stopped so I wouldn't be "that neighbor." The 2 mic technique is sounding good, not as good as I had anticipated, but it's good enough for something kinda raw like Saloth. It basically sounds like the one mic technique but with some bass on the kick. Let's see, I need another SM57 to double mic my guitar speaker, and 6 more mics for my drum setup and I think I'll be good. Yeah, I see myself earning plenty of eBay bucks in the future.

Also tweaked the EQ on my millionth re-recording of guitar tracks for The Breaking Wheel, and I'm finally like 95% happy with the tone. It's not Clayman good, but it's pretty good. I think it takes true skill to master micing a Celestion Vintage 30 without picking up massive amounts of midrange. It gives me a ton of respect for Andy Sneap and Fredrik Nordström. That shit ain't easy. I literally recorded a bit, moved the mic 1/8", recorded a bit, moved the mic 1/8", etc. Apparently once I find the sweet spot I'll have these godly fucking guitar tones, but damn it's harder than finding the clit on a fat girl.

Also performed major surgery on a Devourer song. No more breakdown in the middle, and no more clean singing in the chorus. I don't think it really sounded bad, but it wasn't the sound I wanted, so it's gone, to be replaced with proper vocals.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:54 pm 

Broke my string playing fucking The Crying Orc, of all things. Are D'Addario strings secretly shit or something? It only lasted me like 2 weeks ;__;

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:55 pm 

I think it's possible to get bad batches of strings. I by no means go easy on my guitar strings but sometimes they will break after a week, and sometimes they will not break for months. The last batch of strings I put on my guitar were put on so far back I can't remember.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:59 pm 

What size strings are you using, in what tuning? I've used D'Addario strings almost exclusively for almost 20 years now, and I find they sound the best and they last plenty long. I also recently switched to smaller jazz-style picks (Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm, the black ones) and I don't dig in as much, and I think that's a bit better for the strings. I don't think I've broken a string in over a decade though.

I know strings (like tone and everything else) are pretty subjective, but to my ears, Ernie Ball strings sound kinda dull. I've tried some DR strings and they sound find and last well (one of their massively heavy drop tune sets that no one could break unless they literally tried).

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:05 pm 

They're D'Addario EXL110 strings, regular light gauge it says on the package. Don't know too much about strings (only ever changed them once myself) but I assume they're 0.110?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:11 pm 

I used those very strings for a loooooooong time (because when I started playing in about 1994 or so, I read that Kirk Hammett used them, and he was my first big guitar influence). I played them in standard tuning and D standard for many years and they did fine on a 25.5" scale. The size of those strings are 0.010, 0.013, 0.017, 0.026, 0.036, 0.046. Now the only guitar I have tuned to D (I don't use standard tuning anymore) is a gibson, and I use D'Addario 10-52s, so the high strings are the same as yours, but the lower strings are heavier. I think 0.032, 0.042, 0.052. I love 'em.

How old were your strings? In a perfect world, playing regularly, you should replace them every month or so. I'm guilty of going far too long without changing strings. It's a bad habit.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:19 pm 

Well the only strings I've had on my own guitar before had been on it for a long time before I even bought it, just sitting in the store. They were full of dirt and the low E string sounded reeeaally muddy but the strings kept for at least 2 months before the low E-string broke. Then I put these on and the A-string just thwacks out of my finger (broken down at the bridge). I think I had the same type before. Also tuned to E by the way. We even have the same picks I think. I don't have one here but I know they are Dunlop 1.14's. :P

Last edited by Celtic Frosted Flakes on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:24 pm 

We are doing a split with Special Buddy Discount first which we have all the songs pretty much done for. The other split is going to still be grindcore. Its going to be a split with some collaboration tracks with the other band. Kind of like what Iron Lung did with Hatred Surge or the Iron Lung/Pig Heart Transplant/Walls collaboration. It might not happen but I think we can pull it off.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:17 pm 

Hmmm, you may have just gotten a bad batch, or something similar. D'Addarrio makes great strings, and playing properly (I.E., not slamming into the strings) they should last a good long while. Like I said, I've been using D'Addarios for 19 years and I can't even remember the last time I broke a string.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:56 pm 

Had a six hour practice with the black metal band, seeing as we're playing with Shining (Swe) tomorrow. We're the last local band on, which is pretty cool. We ended up writing a new song kind of by accident - I went to take a piss, and when I got back the gutarist and drummer were jamming on a post-rock kind of chord progression. We then did a bit of structuring and riff writing, and ended up with a song that starts out with a small post-rock crescendo, which goes into a bigger post-rock crescendo, which then leads into an absolutely monstrous blasting black metal section. Really Deafheaven-ish vibes out of that bit. Although it is proving to be pretty challenging, seeing as the tempo it sounds best at is a little beyond us all right now. So that's going to take some practice.

It does mean that we're very nearly done with writing an album though, we only really need one more song after this. We're going to include a load of noise and soundscape sections, so that should be fun.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:02 am 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
I think it's possible to get bad batches of strings. I by no means go easy on my guitar strings but sometimes they will break after a week, and sometimes they will not break for months. The last batch of strings I put on my guitar were put on so far back I can't remember.

This applies to any musical appliance. I remember ages ago buying a pair of Vater 5B sticks because the store was out of Vic Firth sticks. Both sticks broke on me within a week after I got them, with one of the sticks breaking 2 hours after I started playing that day.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:07 am 

And as a total 180 to that, I am the owner of 2 excellent Rogue basses. Well, 1.5.

Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:43 am 

Have just finished recording my fourth demo, to tracks one is an instrumental. That I used keyboards for, something I have wanted to experiment with for quite sometime know. So it has been good to finally achieve this, and I got the songs written and rehearsed in a short period of time. Which I am also pleased with, as sometimes it takes ages to get stuff sorted out for recording demos. Started writing music and lyrics in August this year and have completed it by early December. :)

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:24 am 

congrats troll, that's great to hear.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:55 am 

What genre do you play, Megrimmtroll?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 185  Next