Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
bassethornmusic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:54 pm 

I saw copies of Come to Grief, Alive, and a Best of Compilation at a shop yesterday, not familiar with the band except that they are sludge/doom band split a couple of years ago, are they worth checking out?

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:57 pm 

Definetly worth your time if you're into sludge. Very good band, I was just listening to Dismal yesterday. One of the best bands to listen to if you're pissed off about life. Theres not many other bands as hateful and pissed off as Grief. I'm really looking forward to seeing them at next years MDF.

All of their stuff is worth checking out but make sure you get Miserably Ever After.

sixhundredand66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:51 pm 

yes definitely one of the best sludge bands ever. Come to Grief would have to be my personal favorite. I can't wait to see them at MDF.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:33 pm 

sixhundredand66 wrote:
yes definitely one of the best sludge bands ever.

I concur with this opinion. Definitely a band to check out.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:23 pm 

I think they're terrible. The music generally maintains the same tempo, the songs drag on, its rooted more in hardcore than doom yet has really slow doom tempos, but the lyrics are fantastic and some of the songs are actually good (ie they aren't monotonous ex: I Hate the Human Race and a few others).

They're unlike any sludge band I can think of. They're more akin to a faster Monarch with a hardcore dude on vocals than any other sludge band.

Edited for grammar and the last paragraph.

Last edited by WebOfPiss on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:38 pm 

I concur with the others. If you like sludge, you must check out Grief.

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:32 am 

Grief is splendid. Torso is usually recognized as their best album.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:58 am 

WebOfPiss wrote:
I think they're terrible. The music generally maintains the same tempo, the songs drag on, its rooted more in hardcore than doom yet has really slow doom tempos, but the lyrics are fantastic and some of the songs are actually good (ie they aren't monotonous ex: I Hate the Human Race and a few others).

They're unlike any sludge band I can think of. They're more akin to a faster Monarch with a hardcore dude on vocals than any other sludge band.

I would agree with this on all counts.

sixhundredand66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:02 am 

the hardcore incorporated with them doom is what originally drew them to me in the first place. I think its what makes the stand out.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:19 am 

They barely incorporate hardcore into it as much as say Eyehategod's early work or most of Dystopia's stuff. Grief mostly has hardcore-esque vocals than riffs or structure.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:00 pm 

Mungo wrote:
WebOfPiss wrote:

Me too, however, each record features one or more very very good songs as well besides the other "boring" ones. I like Torso most with the song "Polluted" where they speed up things a bit, and bang: rule !!!!

AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:20 pm 

Sure, get some GRIEF stuff as soon as possible!

As everyone said, very good sludge, mixing doom metal with hardcore in very subtle ways, creating stuff way darker than any funeral doom band.

ThemRockinBones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:17 am 

Definitely worth checking out!

Some really depressing and powerful stuff here, I have found the lyrics to be very intense, due to the fact that they are just true and very personal mental struggles and anguish of the lyricist personally... very good music as well.

Influential sludge

meleemario
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:56 am 

Oh god yes! Grief is a fantastic Sludge band in my opinion. My personal favorites are Miserably Ever After, and ...And Man Will Become the Hunted. As for what you saw at this shop, I would advise you to get all three if you can afford it, and if that greatest hits is what I think it is, that one is called Turbulent Times, and it's a collection of rarities, from splits and whatnot. Not to mention Grief is a great live, or so I heard from the CD anyway, hehe.

Craggzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:08 am 

grief are one of my favourite bands check you should definatley check out come to grief and torso and why not try miserably ever after aswell.

Iron_Blood_Blasphemy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:37 am 

peterott wrote:
Mungo wrote:
WebOfPiss wrote:

Me too, however, each record features one or more very very good songs as well besides the other "boring" ones. I like Torso most with the song "Polluted" where they speed up things a bit, and bang: rule !!!!
I disagree, this band is great. Pure drugged out sludge nightmare. It has its time and place. Many bands owe their careers to them as they've been ripped off countless times.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:41 pm 

Who has ripped off Grief?

mikko1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:51 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:

Who hasn't?

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:57 pm 

Craggzy wrote:
grief are one of my favourite bands check you should definatley check out come to grief and torso and why not try miserably ever after aswell.

Definitely all those albums are great, but I think TORSO especially has the best over all sonic punch to it. To me they are very stoner regardless.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:01 pm 

mikko1 wrote:
WebOfPiss wrote:

Who hasn't?

Iron Maiden.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

ReigningChaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:29 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:

The entirety of post 1995 sludge, just about.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:08 pm 

ReigningChaos wrote:
WebOfPiss wrote:

The entirety of post 1995 sludge, just about.
Name bands.
Hircine: grow up.

ReigningChaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:00 pm 

I can't because I tend to avoid post 1995 sludge. :D (Hell, I avoided the whole genre until a few weeks ago). Suffice to say Grief are as influential as Eyehategod, Crowbar, or Iron Monkey.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:21 am 

mikko1 wrote:
WebOfPiss wrote:

Who hasn't?

Sludge bands that are actually worth listening to, perhaps?

Daathian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:51 pm 

If you love slow doom metal with a lot of distortion, you will love them. They have some pretty epic songs on some their albums. I would personally recommend Come To Grief. They are a great sludge metal band, so if you like bands like Eyehategod, Iron Monkey...etc you will love them.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:55 pm 

Mungo wrote:
mikko1 wrote:
WebOfPiss wrote:

Who hasn't?

Sludge bands that are actually worth listening to, perhaps?

Grief are the definition of sludge as far as I'm concerned. Slow, heavy, hateful as fuck. Repetitive? Sure but what Doom/Stoner/Sludge band isnt in some respect? I'll admit at times they can get monotone and you do have to be in the mood to listen to them but when you are in the mood, Grief does the trick. One of the best bands to listen to when you're not having a great day. :wink:

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:58 am 

Perhaps, but as I've posted elsewhere I dislike the slow, dragged out, crawling sludge and prefer the more mid paced/drugged up sounding stuff like Eyehategod, Dystopia, Iron Monkey, Crowbar etc.

And it's not so much that they are repetitive, it's just that lots of the time the songs don't really do anything; they mostly keep the same tempo, and there isn't a great deal of variation in riffage either.

mikko1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:53 am 

Mungo wrote:
Perhaps, but as I've posted elsewhere I dislike the slow, dragged out, crawling sludge and prefer the more mid paced/drugged up sounding stuff like Eyehategod, Dystopia, Iron Monkey, Crowbar etc.

And it's not so much that they are repetitive, it's just that lots of the time the songs don't really do anything; they mostly keep the same tempo, and there isn't a great deal of variation in riffage either.

The fact that you don't like them doesn't make them any less important for the evolution of the genre.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:40 pm 

mikko1 wrote:
The fact that you don't like them doesn't make them any less important for the evolution of the genre.
Funny, not one person has mentioned a band that has been heavily influenced by Grief and I've brought this up several times now.

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:43 pm 

Here's one: http://www.myspace.com/eyehatelucy

and another: http://www.myspace.com/aogdoom

I did an archive search for "sludge" and I am ignoring all the silly sludge / death metal or sludge / metalcore. Keep looking at the bands labeled only as sludge, or sludge/doom, and you're likely to find many more bands influenced by Grief.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:20 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:
mikko1 wrote:
Funny, not one person has mentioned a band that has been heavily influenced by Grief and I've brought this up several times now.

I highly doubt a band just magically garners a reputation for being one of the genres best and most important bands for absolutely no reason. I would be willing to bet that many of the bands of the sludge genre would cite Grief as inspiration in some sense.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:19 am 

mikko1 wrote:
Mungo wrote:

Point out where I said they weren't important for the evolution of the genre. The only thing I implied was that the bands that were influenced by them weren't any good in my opinion.

Last edited by Mungo on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
beer_snob
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am 

As stated one of the best sludge bands out there. I'm really psyched to see them live on Sunday \m/

bassethornmusic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:38 am 

Almost 2 weeks after my original post, I returned to the shop and all three cds are still there, picked them up for 30 bux total, will give them a listen next week, I hope they turn out as fantastic as some of you had suggested.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.