Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:00 pm 

From Blabbermouth:

"Several writers for Metal Maniacs magazine have reported receiving word yesterday (Tuesday, February 3) that both Metal Maniacs and its sister publication Metal Edge have shut their doors effective immediately, with one more issue of each title still set to come out. It should be noted, however, that the two magazines' publisher, Zenbu Media, has not yet officially corroborated this information."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=113684

Thoughts?

It sucks if this is true. I don't care much for Metal Edge, but I have had a subscription to Metal Maniacs for the last couple years and really enjoyed it. I feel bad for those individuals losing their jobs too. I will have to find a new magazine to subscribe to now.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:07 pm 

Shadoeking wrote:
From Blabbermouth:

"Several writers for Metal Maniacs magazine have reported receiving word yesterday (Tuesday, February 3) that both Metal Maniacs and its sister publication Metal Edge have shut their doors effective immediately, with one more issue of each title still set to come out. It should be noted, however, that the two magazines' publisher, Zenbu Media, has not yet officially corroborated this information."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=113684

Thoughts?

It sucks if this is true. I don't care much for Metal Edge, but I have had a subscription to Metal Maniacs for the last couple years and really enjoyed it. I feel bad for those individuals losing their jobs too. I will have to find a new magazine to subscribe to now.

How about Revolver, Decibel or maybe Terrorizer?

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:09 pm 

Don't care or Revolver at all. Terrorizer was the first one that came to mind. I would have to look at Decibel.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:24 pm 

I haven't read much Decibel but it's only a little better then Revolver (which is garbage).

It seems a lot of magazines are dying out now. Just read that Mad Magazine is cutting back to a quarterly release per year and EGM went out last month.

Dail
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:04 pm 

good friend of mine works at Metal Maniacs, and they are indeed calling it a day....or "hiatus".

shame, they've been around for ages.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:59 pm 

Damn it. Now I'm bumed. :(

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:02 pm 

Now that the best of the mainstream magazines (with exception of unrestrained possibly, but I haven't seen an issue since early 2005) is gone, it just further proves everyone should support the underground zines.

lowendmayhem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:03 pm 

Can anyone tell me if it's really worth subscribing to Decibel? I've been considering it, but I've never seen an issue to check out before.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:23 pm 

Shame, They usually have some good articles.

Last.fm

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:44 pm 

That's a shame. I really like Metal Maniacs.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

burning_pyre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:55 pm 

Shadoeking wrote:
I will have to find a new magazine to subscribe to now.

try metal hammer, thats a pukka mag on occasion, trust.though terrorizer is pretty sweet n all,

as is circle of destruction and burning churches.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:04 pm 

I was so bummed when I read the news. I have been a long time subscriber to Metal Maniacs, and I just renewed my subscription.

BaneOfTheLiving
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:21 pm 

Curses! Maniacs Was the one of the best mags. Decibel is for pretentious trendies. Terrorizer is Shite now. Oh well anyone know if "Zero Tolerance" is still around?

Morbidreich
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:23 pm 

Damn, this sucks. Metal Maniacs is a good inexpensive magazine and always had lots of good articles.

Underkill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:26 pm 

BaneOfTheLiving wrote:
Curses! Maniacs Was the one of the best mags. Decibel is for pretentious trendies. Terrorizer is Shite now. Oh well anyone know if "Zero Tolerance" is still around?

Yep still around

www.ztmag.com

Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:31 pm 

God... what the fuck? Metal Maniacs was definitely the best US music magazine. This really sucks ass. I use their posters for room decoration... now I won't have any more :cry:

My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:26 pm 

their shorts section was a valid and important role in keeping tape trading and pen palling alive in the mid/late 90's

if you didn't know, now you do.

chrislyles15
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:36 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
I haven't read much Decibel but it's only a little better then Revolver (which is garbage).

It seems a lot of magazines are dying out now. Just read that Mad Magazine is cutting back to a quarterly release per year and EGM went out last month.

Probably because they don't sell enough because everyone has the internet to get their info.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:42 pm 

chrislyles15 wrote:
Masked_Jackal wrote:

Probably because they don't sell enough because everyone has the internet to get their info.

This + the economy makes print magazines a dying art. There's plenty of blogs and such for journalism now online, that I'm sure most people won't want to bother paying for a monthly magazine. Not to mention with the speed of the internet, the news and reports in magazines are usually out of date before they hit the presses. Take for example I bought an issue of metal maniacs recently (december issue maybe?) and it had reviews in it for albums that came out in July throughout.

It's only in the underground where zines will continue to thrive.

It's a sad blow in the end though. I know a few metal heads in the area who don't have the internet, much less a computer. What's worse is these guys are serious diehard metal heads. When I told them the magazines were going out of print they were a bit devastated since this was where they found out about music and the bands and what was going on in the scene outside of their friends and various word of mouth.

cfvk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am 

can anyone point me to some good black/death metal underground zines?

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:47 am 

A ton of magazines are going under in pretty much all areas. For a metal magazine, Metal Maniacs was surprisingly good. It had some shit here and there, obviously but it had lots of new releases and some pretty good interviews.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:47 am 

I was subscribed to metal edge a little over 10 years ago. I could doing it around 2000. I even did the penpal thing, which I thought I found the perfect person, but it was bs. I havent read those magazines in years, since everythings on the internet now.

I even just started to subscribe to EGM...now t heyre dead

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:12 am 

Metal Edge can go to hell, I would've closed it down myself, but Metal Maniacs was awesome. It's very sad news.

ryanf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:56 am 

the end of Metal Maniacs will have an impact on the bands in there. Many times I read about a band I never heard of, bought a cd of theirs, and ended up getting their entire disography...

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:11 am 

This sucks major dick. I just renewed my subscription. Wtf will happen to my money?

And anyway, MM had some of the best reviews in a magazine, and really good writers too. Liz was my fav though. Their free posters are all over my room and a discovered many great bands through them. This'll suck majorly indeed..

Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:48 am 

Metal Maniacs was better than Metal Edge, but I would have to disagree with it being the best in the states. Pit magazine based outta Colorado Springs, was far better than Edge or Maniacs. Not sure if they're still around, last time I stopped by their store was in December of '06. Either way, it's a shame to see some worth while mags going under.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:09 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
I even just started to subscribe to EGM...now t heyre dead

I'm devestated by this. I'm going to miss Seanbaby's articles.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:09 am 

Bobby_Typhoon wrote:
Metal Maniacs was better than Metal Edge, but I would have to disagree with it being the best in the states. Pit magazine based outta Colorado Springs, was far better than Edge or Maniacs. Not sure if they're still around, last time I stopped by their store was in December of '06. Either way, it's a shame to see some worth while mags going under.

the "current" issue on their site is from summer 2007(some chick, i think from kitty). The one i hated most was SOD magazine. it was too trashy to me and the guy in charge is a prick

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:19 am 

That's a shame. I liked Metal Maniacs. Guess I'll have to turn towards online sources for the bulk of my metal news and reviews.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:29 pm 

I was a big time VHS trader in the 90's. I got all of my contacts from "shorts". When I even had numerous email discussions with them, when they removed it recently. They brought it back once, and than it was gone all together. I was really bummed when they took it out of the mag. When I got a new issue, that is the first thing I went to. Some of them were pretty cool like, lonely prisoner into drinking blood.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:12 pm 

I've been using Metal Maniacs to find new bands since I got my subscription and my collection has exploded. It's a shame they won't be around anymore. Hopefully another publishing company will buy up the rights and put it back out.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:15 pm 

It's a shame really. I used to get MM all the time back in the 90's and early 00's. It was one of the few quality metal magazines in the US.

The articles, letters, shorts, and reveiws were an important part of the scene. I will be honest and say that I haven't bought an issue in a very long time, partly because I get my info from other places, and very few new bands interest me, but I will miss it a lot.

It seems like an end of an era.

Maybe MM could continue on as a blog. At least some of the writers could get together and do something of this nature.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:20 pm 

The internet kills another magazine. Metal Maniacs used to be my magazine of choice in the early 90's. Many an issue gave their lives to cover my walls.

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:19 pm 

Since Blabbermouth posted this article, I haven't seen anything to confirm this tragedy. The fact that I just received the March issue in the mail yesterday, and that no mention was made of it being the final or pen-ultimate issue makes me wonder how much truth is behind the article.
Good trades with: Satan_Laughs (x2), thrashbeast, jthompson (x2), Groanofthewind, Mantis44 (x2), Decry, Igor, Kelibat, Madcow, Vakshay, Mespheber, Lord_Domitian, orionmetalhead, J, mightypeniz, Jacobo123 etc...

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:11 pm 

eViLbOrIs wrote:
Since Blabbermouth posted this article, I haven't seen anything to confirm this tragedy. The fact that I just received the March issue in the mail yesterday, and that no mention was made of it being the final or pen-ultimate issue makes me wonder how much truth is behind the article.

Well, here are a couple indicators. You can't subscribe via their website...it's currently not working AND the Metal Maniacs Myspace page lists their mood as "sad".

Something is definitely up. I used to read this mag regularly in 1990-91. Haven't picked up a copy in years. Too bad if this is true.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:29 pm 

lowendmayhem wrote:
Can anyone tell me if it's really worth subscribing to Decibel? I've been considering it, but I've never seen an issue to check out before.

Its not as good as metal maniacs but its okay.

Revolver used to eb good, but then slowly but gradually they sold out, until now only 1 out of every 15 bands they mention is real metal.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

WinterBliss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:37 pm 

Aye, i never subscribed to MM, but anytime i had any urge to spend 5 bucks and was around a magazine rack i'd pick it up. Their posters cover my dorm room, and i always enjoyed Nathan T. Birk's area of coverage, it was an important resource for me years ago when i first was getting into metal, i'm not a fan of terrorizer much, and it's always good to have variety. It's a shame they're going under.

But it is true, i'd get responses like "why buy MM when you can go on metal archives?" printed news and information is taking a sidestep to blogs and the internet as others have noted, i think it was last year that the NY Times laid off a lot of their writers. Seems to be a growing trend.

Revolver, Decibel, Hit Parader and Metal Edge are(were) all shit, but in it's recent years MM had been getting a little less interesting too.

Oberst_Orlok_SS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:48 pm 

I'm glad those rags are going away. So much mainstream and trendy crap. If I want news on metal then I just browse the net.

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:08 pm 

KingVold wrote:
lowendmayhem wrote:

Its not as good as metal maniacs but its okay.

Revolver used to eb good, but then slowly but gradually they sold out, until now only 1 out of every 15 bands they mention is real metal.

Man I can't believe nobody here likes Decibel very much! It's probably my favorite right now (now that Metal Maniacs has officially bit the dust), but I'm a big Terrorizer fan as well...Although Decibel does indeed cover a light-moderate amount of crap depending on the issue, I personally think they currently have the best writers, although I know that a lot of people might get turned off by their more "humorous" approach for their metal coverage...
I get a lot of shit for subscribing to Revolver (which probably throws out all of my credibility right there for most of you), but c'mon...it's only 12 bucks for A YEAR, and they do occasionally have some good interviews in there with bands I care about...

Anyway, it's a damn shame that Metal Maniacs is calling it quits, I fucking loved that magazine.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:19 pm 

Decibel sucks.

The only really, really good one I know of is Zero Tolerance. It's actually high quality and I like the interviews (and the people they interview) more than most other mags I've read.

Terrorizer is okay but it pretty blatantly just gives shitty stuff good reviews because they were either paid to or because they're getting some kind of benefits (advertising or something else) from it. It at least is a good source for new releases.

BW&BK is one I've always seen but never really read since it had the plastic wrapping on it. Most of the time it seems pretty run of the mill and has just mainstream and sometimes downright shitty bands (lots of Cradle of Filth, it seems like).

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next