Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cut_Up_Coyote
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:38 pm 

For over a year now, I've been immersing myself in the folk style music, whether it be metal or celtic punk. But I've noticed that my knowledge of the folk/viking metal genre is starting to feel limited. I really dig Eluveitie and bands that really focus on the folk aspect of the genre, but I also like the stuff that's dripping with thrash influences (i.e. Ensiferum). So, whatever anyone here would like to recommend in that criteria would be appreciated.

I'm also looking for some metal with a good rhythm behind it. Not headbanging, but moving to a strong rhythm. A couple of the bands that I've found with this quality are Samael and White/Rob Zombie. Anyone got bands that fit this too?

7IHd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:14 pm 

Some of my favorite folk bands:

Suidakra, especially enjoyed the album Crógacht. Nice mix of vocals on that album, with incorporation of alot of different instruments. I need to check out the others more fully, though.

Tyr, a solid Faroese progressive folk metal, with norse/Faroese lore themes. Check out Ragnarok, Land, and Eric the Red. I've heard their newest is good too.

Crom, one of the best one-man bands I've heard. Surprisingly solid, he does all the studio work, though of course has others when he tours. A nice power metal with distinct Viking influence.

chappy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:37 pm 

Not sure if it can really be described as "folk metal" as such, but in my opinion Primordial's most recent album has a really good rythm about it for me. Check out the song Empire Falls by them, always makes me want to get moving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHvuXdhnieA&feature=related

ApocalypticxAngel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:36 pm 

Folkearth does folk metal in every form, from lighter stuff like their song Rhyming With Thunder to the heavier Folk Metal like Naglfar Sets Sail. I highly recommend this band to anyone that likes Folk Metal.

George Gobel wrote:
If it weren't for electricity, we'd all be watching tv by candlelight.

MaelstromMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:27 pm 

[quote=I'm also looking for some metal with a good rhythm behind it. Not headbanging, but moving to a strong rhythm. A couple of the bands that I've found with this quality are Samael and White/Rob Zombie. Anyone got bands that fit this too?[/quote]

I've always found Rotting Christ to have rythmic similarity to Samael. For metal songs with catchy beats and groovey rythms check out Sigh's "copsecry-angelsfall" as well as recent Satyricon (Fuel for Hatred, K.i.n.g. etc.)

Prong was combining danceable beats with heavy riffs similar to Rob/White zombie back in the early 90s.Check out the song "whose fist is this anyway" for an example.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:08 am 

If you haven't already, check out Thyrfing (something from one of the first 3 albums is where I'd start). Folkish melodies, but with some real heavy thrashy rhythm to it.

Reply to topic