Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:11 pm 

Recently I've been interested in checking out the little-known origins of some stuff I listen to, particularly doom/death metal. The recent "Cathedral's importance to the doom metal genre" thread in the Metal Discussion sub-forum produced some great recommendations (thanks to Man_who_lost_the_sun and Funereal for suggesting some truly awesome old-school death/doom bands).

So, basically I'm looking for death/doom metal, but I'd prefer that it isn't too well known. Anything from the early to late 80's is certainly what I'm looking for, though early 90's won't be off either. the other thing, though, is I'm looking for straight up old school death/doom- preferably no gothic elements, so no to things like the Peaceville Three.

Hopefully that described enough of what I'm looking for, here are a few that are examples of what I want:

Sempiternal Deathreign - http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=16074
Delirium - http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=14033
Dream Death - http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=872
Necro Schizma - http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=882
Goatlord (US) - http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=4230

Please post the M-A band page link, as some may have common names.

thanks

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:46 pm 

Excruciation is an old proto-death/doom or perhaps even thrash/doom type band (similar to Celtic Frost, really) that predates even Dream Death. Avoid their new material (anything from 2005-up), it's fucking terrible. I'd suggest starting with the Last Judgement EP.

Aside from that, there's Sins of the Flesh who's 1988 LP Greed (Swans?) predates even Sempiternal Deathreign's first LP.
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

Man_who_lost_the_sun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:56 pm 

The Dutch (nice catch there :p) death metal scene 1989-1996 was filled to the brim with quality death doom. I'd look into Castle, Mystic Charm, Spina Bifida, Beyond Belief, Stentorian, etc. All of which are quite good. Astral Rising are also amazing, but they're French.

Last edited by Man_who_lost_the_sun on Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:37 pm 

Man_who_lost_the_sun wrote:
The Danish death metal scene 1989-1996 was filled to the brim with quality death doom. I'd look into Castle, Mystic Charm, Spina Bifida, Beyond Belief, Stentorian, etc. All of which are quite good. Astral Rising are also amazing, but they're French.

Seconded, except for the fact that you mean Dutch, not Danish. :) Add to that list Evisceration and you'll be good.

Also, be sure and listen to Dark Millennium's debut - very, very good and unusual stuff. Their second album takes them in a more experimental direction and it's still pretty good, but start with the first one.

Other bands off the top of my head that bear checking out are Decomposed, Expulsion, and Ceremonium.

Last edited by failsafeman on Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man_who_lost_the_sun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:41 pm 

Hah, nice catch there. You guys know what I meant though. Visceral Evisceration are a given. Dark Millennium are new to me however...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:42 pm 

Not Visceral Evisceration, though they're good too. I meant:
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=11406

Also, if Dark Millennium are new to you (they're very unknown for some reason) get your damn hands on their debut!

Man_who_lost_the_sun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:45 pm 

Both of those are new to me o.O . I'll listen to both.

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:51 pm 

Must give these bands a listen to.
Check out this band, young but totally immersed in the old-school.
www.myspace.com/decayordie
I don't know how to link to the Archives page, but if you search for Decayor it's the only one there.

The_Kreator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:56 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3417

A real gem.

MetalHearted
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:00 am 

The_Kreator wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3417

A real gem.

Damn, that logo is badass.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:02 pm 

Thanks for the recs so far everyone, I had already heard of Beyond Belief and forgot to mention it (ordered "Rave the Abyss"). Should have mentioned before, I'd really prefer if the speed was kept mid to low tempo, so I'm not sure if Excruciation will do the trick. Also, I'm not looking for anything overly-melodic (maybe I'm just thinking melodeath and gothic doom/death when I see some of this tagged "Melodic/Doom/Death", that's not the case, is it?). And Electrocution is labeled "Death Metal/Technical Death Metal", is that right?

Besides those, everything else seems on par with what I'm looking for, thanks again.

Thor_Evlor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:48 pm 

Check out Maimed from Chicago; they put out one demo in 1991, Peaceville put them on one of their comps and was in the process of signing them when they broke up. I just made a tribute page last week on MySpace, I think you'll definitely dig their stuff.

http://www.myspace.com/maimedchicago

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:23 pm 

Thor_Evlor wrote:
Check out Maimed from Chicago; they put out one demo in 1991, Peaceville put them on one of their comps and was in the process of signing them when they broke up. I just made a tribute page last week on MySpace, I think you'll definitely dig their stuff.

http://www.myspace.com/maimedchicago

Thanks for the link, that's what I'm looking for. Do you know where I could obtain a copy?

Thor_Evlor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:02 pm 

unclevladistav wrote:
Do you know where I could obtain a copy?

The Peaceville comp or their demo?

The former...shit, I've been looking on Amazon and eGay for ages with no luck.

The latter...I think they only made maybe 500 of the cassettes, Eric gave me one of the last ones he had. I checked the "allow users to download" box when I uploaded the MP3's, but since MySpace changed their player style it still doesn't have a download option. I'm trying to find a label to do a reissue (I'd do it myself if I had the funds), hopefully the page will generate enough interest for someone like Razorback to step up (they did a fantastic job on the Impetigo reissues).

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:08 pm 

Thor_Evlor wrote:
unclevladistav wrote:

The latter...I think they only made maybe 500 of the cassettes, Eric gave me one of the last ones he had. I checked the "allow users to download" box when I uploaded the MP3's, but since MySpace changed their player style it still doesn't have a download option. I'm trying to find a label to do a reissue (I'd do it myself if I had the funds), hopefully the page will generate enough interest for someone like Razorback to step up (they did a fantastic job on the Impetigo reissues).

The demo. Would be nice, if Razorback re-released it, they put out good stuff.

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:17 am 

Oh, nearly forgot Cianide. A bit more on the death metal side, but definitely up the alley of any Sempiternal Deathreign fan. I hope you'd have already heard of them (and if you didn't before, you have now).

Also, ...And Here I Lie. They're not exactly all that old (formed 94') and they are a bit on the depressive side, but they make very, very little use of any of those wimpy "carnival' keyboards so common in the more gothic side of death/doom. However, there is some acoustic guitar and clean vocals strewn about their works. Check em out (they should be slow enough for you).
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

stonetotem
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:17 pm 

Lots of great bands suggested. Rippikoulu's "Musta Seremonia" demo is extremely doomy low end death metal that everyone should check out. Symphony of Grief is great if you can deal with drum machine, they're sort of like diSEMBOWELMENT.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:42 pm 

Definitely check out Sorrow's full-length. I have not heard their stuff under their previous name of Apparition though.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:45 pm 

I know good oldschool death metal excavation named excavation
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=8286

deadhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:06 am 

Try this band
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=19555

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:21 am 

Check out As Serenity Fades.

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:05 am 

I really hope you've already heard Winter before: http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=312

SchinderHNS
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:21 am 

LokiGoddess wrote:
Excruciation is an old proto-death/doom or perhaps even thrash/doom type band (similar to Celtic Frost, really) that predates even Dream Death. Avoid their new material (anything from 2005-up), it's fucking terrible. I'd suggest starting with the Last Judgement EP.

What's so wrong with our new Records? I like them ;)

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:50 am 

LokiGoddess wrote:

Aside from that, there's Sins of the Flesh who's 1988 LP Greed (Swans?) predates even Sempiternal Deathreign's first LP.

Could you find Sins of the Flesh's album? I couldn't. If you've got it, PM it to me please.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:52 pm 

colin040 wrote:
LokiGoddess wrote:

Could you find Sins of the Flesh's album? I couldn't. If you've got it, PM it to me please.

I have their 7" that followed it, though my record player is broken so I haven't heard it yet. :(

I'm damn curious as to what it sounds like. When I investigated I read that they where a punk band. :???:

Gompidge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:21 pm 

Thor_Evlor wrote:
unclevladistav wrote:

What was the Peaceville comp called?

I always remember Anthropomancy fondly, but that could just be nostalgia - but I would love a 'digital' copy of their demo:

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=51329

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:02 pm 

Gardens of Obscurity and Rippikoulu are two bands that you should look into.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:37 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
Definitely check out Sorrow's full-length. I have not heard their stuff under their previous name of Apparition though.

Ah yes, I was thinking I'd be coming in here to suggest that. They do occasionally burst into fast tempos, usually only for the purpose of letting out a mad SLayer-esque solo, but trust me, most of their stuff on "Hatred and disgust" is like the slowest material of Celtic Frost...great riffs, a really nice crushing sound and comprehensible but deeply growled vocals. I adore the riffs on this thing and for some reason I can't quite explain it's almost the first thing I put on in any new stereo system I acquire. :lol:...sort of a test, if you will.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:54 pm 

Dusk, Mindrot, and Pentacrostic (I only have heard The Pain Tears) haven't been mentioned yet, they're worth checking out as well.

http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=4881

http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=5009

http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=870

Mishalra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:57 pm 

Have you heard Ceremonium - Into The Autumn Shade?

I know it's not circa 88-92 like I'm assuming that you're after... but it's quality Death / Doom. The atmosphere moves from crushing to downright solemn and beautiful at will. Wonderful stuff IMO.

deadhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:21 pm 

Quote:

What a piece of feeble-minded crap? These Sins of the Flesh was just a crappy fast punk/crust/thrash. There's aboslutely NOTHING doomy.
Just a crappy punk

You saw the DOOM band with 2 minutes songs?
Here's the samples (enter the code to listen)
http://abmp3.com/download/2666366-06-mental-death.html

Only mental invalid can compare them with Sempiternal Deathreign

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:57 pm 

Dusk. Killer, killer doom/death band. Their debut ep is more death and their album more doom, but it's some of the best doom/death around.

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:52 am 

deadhead wrote:
Quote:

What a piece of feeble-minded crap? These Sins of the Flesh was just a crappy fast punk/crust/thrash. There's aboslutely NOTHING doomy.
Just a crappy punk

You saw the DOOM band with 2 minutes songs?
Here's the samples (enter the code to listen)
http://abmp3.com/download/2666366-06-mental-death.html

Only mental invalid can compare them with Sempiternal Deathreign

Calm the fuck down man.I'd never heard any of their work (until now). I only recommended them because I had found them a while back through the advanced search function (I was looking for early death/doom and that's what they were listed as at the time) and thought that they might do. Had I known that they were really a crust band, I wouldn't have brought them up.

Thanks for the link, though. I had tried rather hard to find any of their material and had failed. I'm rather sad to find that they're so... mundane.

And, in regards to the fellow from Excruciation who commented on my post: You're newest stuff (at least the 2007 album) just wasn't my kind of thing. At all. I still plan on checking out [t]horns, though.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:53 am 

I second Maimed, the demo is out there in Blogsville to download. The Peaceville comp was the magnificent "Deaf Metal Sampler", well worth tracking down.

I'd also check out the following bands (mostly 1991-1992):

Doomed (US) - Autopsy side project. The "Haematomania" (aka "Doomed") demo EP is fantastic Death/Doom. The second EP is more Hardcore.

Acrostichon -- Dutch band, I recommend the debut album "Engraved In Black".

Fleshcrawl -- an often overlooked German Death/Doom band, the debut "Descend into the Absurd" is extremely heavy and crushing.

Divine Eve -- brilliant US band mixing Entombed-esque Death/Grind with heavy Doom.

Cemetary -- the debut album "An Evil Shade Of Grey" is extremely underrated. They went more Gothic after this.

Also, if you haven't already, you should check out the early stuff by Morgoth (Ger) (e.g. "Cursed") and Tiamat (e.g. "The Astral Sleep").

Hope these recommendations are of some help.

Edit:

Another couple: Symphony Of Grief and Funereal (ex-Contagion) -- both US bands.

Another edit:

How could I forget the awesome Lord Of Putrefaction and Thy Grief Eternal? Both are early bands of Electric Wizard's Jus Oborn, and can be found on the "Pre-Electric Wizard" CD.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:58 pm 

...And another one:

Solemn (UK)

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:27 pm 

... and a couple more highly recommended (sorry for the overkill, this thread has rekindled my interest!):

Eternal Darkness (Swe)

Innards -- great UK band from my area, the MA has them as "Death n' Roll" which is slightly misleading in my opinion.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:26 pm 

balbulus wrote:

:thumbsup: Gorement also might fit the request.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:46 pm 

Tell you what, even if the OP doesn't get anything out of this thread, I've been introduced to some great bands because of it. Delirium and Gorement are fantastic! Delirium sound like Celtic Frost, Winter and Obituary all rolled into one. Brilliant.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:16 pm 

balbulus wrote:
Tell you what, even if the OP doesn't get anything out of this thread

Heh, I've found a ton of great bands thanks to many people here. Thanks to all.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:27 pm 

Just remembered another great band: Accidental Suicide. Just listened to the album again, and it fits the bill perfectly.

Lots of these bands were on the Peaceville/Deaf Records roster. The aforementioned "Deaf Metal Sampler" comp, and another entitled "Peaceville Vol 4" were goldmines for this stuff back in the early 90s.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next