Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MattDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:53 am 

Atra, the side project of Blackheart from DTL is some decent black metal.

Lightless, from Tasmania are a ridiculously good (and totally underrated, and obscure) project. Their 2010 album, into the haunted heart of the blacklands is fantastic.

Orrery, from Tasmania are also another amazing, underrated project. Only ever released one album which might be a bit hard to track down but it never gets any less enjoyable

In terms of grindcore, aside from those already mentioned i'd recommend the OP check out Agents of Abhorrence and The Kill. Absolutely insane, fast material

Teratornis are a great thrash metal band, OP should check them out. Fantastic debut ep.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:08 am 

Only thing that comes to mind that hasn't been mentioned so far is Niflheim. Quality black metal with a real rocking edge to it. The full length Myrkvid is one of the more special additions to my CD collection. Also, it's female fronted which, while rare in metal in general, seems to be rarer in Australia.

- Tim Minchin

NocturnalFrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:45 pm 

Sacriphyx deserves more than a single mention.For those into Hellenic Black Metal,they cannot be missed.

Lone Pine is their first and certainly the most "Greek" sounding,except they do it right and write material on par with Varathron,Rotting Christ,Zemial etc...Still not sold out,get it now before it's gone.

Stargazer/Sacriphyx split-Stargazer is interesting and good,but Sacriphyx steals this split.Their track on here delves further into the Hellenic influences,but with more variation.This may be their best song so far.If you enjoy Thy Mighty Contract,His Majesty at the Swamp and even Master's Hammer-Ritual,this is mandatory.Awe inspiring...

Sacriphyx/Resuscitator split-Here we see the band bringing in more elements in their sound,like viking era Bathory and a darker,more mournful sound closer to Non Serviam/Walpurgisnacht as opposed to the brightness of Thy Mighty Contract/His Majesty at the Swamp.There is a good variety in the songs and this is their longest release so far.Once again,absolutely essential material from a band that is destined to do even greater things.

The new album is due by the end of the year I believe,it will undoubtedly be a winner.Kind of a cult proposition right now,but I wouldn't be surprised to see these guys become legends in time.

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:24 am 

Most of my faves have already been listed... here's a few I didn't see...

Abyssic Hate ...Depressive Black Metal at it's absolute finest... in my opinion the best in the business!

Hunters Moon ...limited releases but I love this band... they need to get back in the studio for a full length soon!! ...made up of both Denouncement Pyre & Nocturnal Graves members but blowing both bands well out of the water... pick up The Serpents Lust EP and you'll see what I mean... highly recommeded for fans of Gospel Of The Horns & Zarathustra ect...

Eternum - 2 piece Raw Black metal with Azghul (Drowning The Light) on vocals... cool band and almost as good as DTL on occaision... DTL fans should also check out Baal Gadrial & early Pestilential Shadows too...

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:41 am 

NocturnalFrost wrote:
Sacriphyx deserves more than a single mention.For those into Hellenic Black Metal,they cannot be missed.

Lone Pine is their first and certainly the most "Greek" sounding,except they do it right and write material on par with Varathron,Rotting Christ,Zemial etc...Still not sold out,get it now before it's gone.

Stargazer/Sacriphyx split-Stargazer is interesting and good,but Sacriphyx steals this split.Their track on here delves further into the Hellenic influences,but with more variation.This may be their best song so far.If you enjoy Thy Mighty Contract,His Majesty at the Swamp and even Master's Hammer-Ritual,this is mandatory.Awe inspiring...

Sacriphyx/Resuscitator split-Here we see the band bringing in more elements in their sound,like viking era Bathory and a darker,more mournful sound closer to Non Serviam/Walpurgisnacht as opposed to the brightness of Thy Mighty Contract/His Majesty at the Swamp.There is a good variety in the songs and this is their longest release so far.Once again,absolutely essential material from a band that is destined to do even greater things.

The new album is due by the end of the year I believe,it will undoubtedly be a winner.Kind of a cult proposition right now,but I wouldn't be surprised to see these guys become legends in time.

Very much agree. Spot on. You farken rule.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:43 am 

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES wrote:
Hunters Moon ...limited releases but I love this band... they need to get back in the studio for a full length soon!! ...made up of both Denouncement Pyre & Nocturnal Graves members but blowing both bands well out of the water... pick up The Serpents Lust EP and you'll see what I mean... highly recommeded for fans of Gospel Of The Horns & Zarathustra ect...

Not to mention fans of Blood Fire Death!

Awesome EP!

thepassagewithin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:08 pm 

Do not forget about Stargazer and Misery's Omen .

The new Misery's Omen - Hope Dies is quite a special release of Australian metal.

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:19 pm 

Some bands (mostly active) i don't think have been mentioned yet. Lot's still missing.

Tzun Tzu, Embodied, Odiusembowel, Grave Upheaval, Black Jesus, Iconic Vivisect, Moon, Whoretopsy, Meticulous Despoilment, Temple Nightside, Pestilential Shadows, Belligerent Intent, Altars, Disentomb, Destruktor, Beyond Mortal Dreams, Excarnated, Misery.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:27 pm 

thepassagewithin wrote:
Do not forget about Stargazer and Misery's Omen. The new Misery's Omen - Hope Dies is quite a special release of Australian metal.

Both have been mentioned.

wigglygore wrote:
Some bands (mostly active) i don't think have been mentioned yet. Lot's still missing.

Grave Upheaval, Black Jesus, Pestilential Shadows, Destruktor, Misery.

These have been mentioned. The others have not.

Can't believe I forgot about Abyssic Hate and Hunters Moon, both great bands. The Hunters Moon ep is a solid release.

My collection

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:28 pm 

wigglygore wrote:

Tzun Tzu, Embodied, Odiusembowel, Grave Upheaval, Black Jesus, Iconic Vivisect, Moon, Whoretopsy, Meticulous Despoilment, Temple Nightside, Pestilential Shadows, Belligerent Intent, Altars, Disentomb, Destruktor, Beyond Mortal Dreams, Excarnated, Misery.

insidious torture and Whoretopsy share a vocalist

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:32 am 

Also Blood Duster, The Day Everything Became Nothing, the first Frankenbok album, Do Not Spit by Damaged is a classic
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

AltarsInGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:38 am 

URGRUND

And I can't believe it took so long for Vomitor to be mentioned...

Was Destruktor mentioned? If not, you should just go and buy "Nailed". Fucking great album.

And go a little swim and check out New Zealand's VASSAFOR

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:23 am 

The Day Everything Became Nothing is the worst band I've ever seen live.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:33 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:

what were so bad about them? for me the worst had to be some deathcore band, this year is going to be a very good year for australian metal

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:46 am 

Woods of Desolation and Astriaal deserve a mention.
Destruktor are from an area about 15 minutes away from me. Nailed is an excellent album.

todesengel89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:57 am 

recently discovered Mhorgl and the related band, The Furor. fuckin' kickass stuff that they have there.
Heavy Metal Tribune #007 feat. Paradise Lost, Rogga Johansson, Riti Occulti, Antin Graham & Nepente!

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:34 am 

rabidmadman wrote:
Mortification. They were on nuclear blast at some point in the early 90's and I only heard their debut, but it's awesome oldschool style death/thrash if that is your thing.

Some older Mortification was dece, but they've got limited appeal because they're so over-the-top with the christian lyrics.
Plus they went to absolute shit in the mid-late 90s. That being said, Scrolls of the Megilloth and Northern Storm are good enough albums imo.

another band not mentioned yet is Grey Waters - for those into Woods of Desolation and Austere, it's one of the guys behind those two bands playing depressive metal/rock ala later Katatonia. Despite that description, there is still an absolute shitload of similarity between Grey Waters and Austere's last album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIK57MI-800

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJOBGhXklAA

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:03 am 

katatonia47 wrote:
Woods of Desolation
Astriaal
Turner wrote:
Grey Waters
Austere
AltarsInGore wrote:
Vomitor

I approve of all of these bands.

AltarsInGore wrote:
Was Destruktor mentioned? If not, you should just go and buy "Nailed". Fucking great album.

I also like Destruktor. I don't own Nailed, but I've listened to it and it's a great album. Their split with Bestial Mockery is also great.

You should like Midnight Odyssey if you're into more melodic types of black metal. It's excellent ambient black metal and while their debut is a hefty listen, it's worth the time needed to listen.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:04 am 

Anyone listen to Serious Beak? They play some weird shit. I've heard it being called a mix of Meshuggah, Mastodon, The Mars Volta and others. I somewhat enjoy it, if only for the sheer weirdness of it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9r2Cof1YVk
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:14 am 

It's all about the Sadistik Exekution, Rok, Reverend Kriss Hades, Doomed and Disgusting, Premonitor and Nomenclature Diablerie. Pretty much anything revolving around SadEx then.

SmithMetal84
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:47 pm 

Ne Obliviscaris.. heh...
No but srsly, check out Ignivomous.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:46 pm 

triggerhappy wrote:
Anyone listen to Serious Beak? They play some weird shit. I've heard it being called a mix of Meshuggah, Mastodon, The Mars Volta and others. I somewhat enjoy it, if only for the sheer weirdness of it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9r2Cof1YVk

seen them live twice, just wish they had a singer but apart from that they are pretty good, if someone mentioned grey waters then germ must be mentioned too, i am so excited for their album

http://soundcloud.com/germofficial

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:51 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

what were so bad about them? for me the worst had to be some deathcore band, this year is going to be a very good year for australian metal

They play the most asinine, painfully dull music humanly imaginable, it's like grindcore with no fast bits so all you get are the stupid grooves and slams.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:43 pm 

thanks i only heard a few songs so i wasnt too sure what they were like

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:55 pm 

Alchemist - Basically Australia's answer to Neurosis. Awesome band!

ZombieJesus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:35 am 

The Mung.

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:54 am 

Sword Toward Self would warrant a mention in here if they had released the album they were recording before they dropped off the face of the earth. I hope they end up putting it out some day.

Abso-fucking-lutely everything you can get from Abysmal Sounds is awesome too. You know, stuff like Grave Upheaval, Innsmouth, Doomed Beast, Demon's Gate (and the Sluggard demo is pretty nice too). One of my favourite labels even if they're not very prolific with the releases.

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:19 am 

I forgot to mention Abyssmal Sorrow.
Blackened Funeral Doom, gotta love it.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:22 am 

Germ is pretty cool, though they from the samples they've put out, they are pretty much Grey Waters all over again but with electronic elements and solos.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:40 am 

No mention of Fuck... I'm Dead? Absolutely KILLER deathgrind. Bring on the Dead is a hell of an album.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:58 am 

Adrift for Days are a terrific Sydney drone/stoner band. Their album is available on their bandcamp site. Definitely worth checking out for any fans of the genre.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:10 pm 

Wait...No Darklord?

Daemon Foetal Harvest?...

Christbait?...

Invocation?...

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:52 pm 

I don't know if they have been mentioned yet but Backyard Mortuary play fucking killer doomy death metal, it's one of my favorite releases of 2012. Any death metal fan should check them out.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:12 pm 

Laceration Mantra - http://prolongingthepain.bandcamp.com/
2 of the guys from MISERY are in this band, i got it recently and it slays.

killrazer and atomizer are pretty good thrash/death
abominator, martire, infected, anatomy, the berzerker [?!] are all cool too, oz metal is some of my favourite! :metal:

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:27 pm 

The Australian/NZ is my second favorite metal scene after Germany's. So much quality and variety (though I can't think of too many notable non-extreme metal bands from there).

Anywho, haven't seen any mention of ANATOMY yet. Great band, though rather old.

EDIT: oops, the poster above me listed them :durr:

Last edited by The_Minstrel51 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:59 pm 

ha! i said anatomy just up there ><.

should probably mention urgrund, i discovered them the other day, awesome catchy black metal.
also i'd like to add that the band abominator have/had members of urgrund, bestial warlust, destroyer 666, corpse molestation, cemetery urn, destruktor, terrorrust and our very own coven

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Abominator/1900 :metal:

fuck! did anyone mention manticore [not to be confused with all the other bands called manticore] and armoured angel?! ha ha

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:21 pm 

Depends what metal you're into mate... I really only know the stuff I like... Black Metal, Blackened Thrash & Blackened Death.. and it just so happens that Australia has produced some of the finest bands in those fields on the planet...

Start with Destroyer 666, Abyssic Hate, Drowning The Light, Gospel Of The Horns, Razor Of Occam, Bestial Warlust & Pestilential Shadows... if you like what you hear get back to me and I reckon I could list a few dozen more Aussie bands to check out...

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:32 pm 

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES wrote:
it just so happens that Australia has produced some of the finest bands in those fields on the planet...
YES! there's something in the water beer over there for sure.

if you're downunder, is it still underground? :scratch: :lol:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:41 pm 

Elysian Blaze. His Levitating the Carnal is an absolute masterpiece of atmospheric black/doom metal, and his long-awaited double-disc Blood Geometry has been getting equally positive feedback here on the board. Earlier albums Beneath Silent Faces and Cold Walls and Apparitions were also solid and commendable works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ZGne3dnso

Lord_Beavereater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:23 pm 

Belligerent Intent from Melbourne are a great bestial black/Death band more like Deicide than Incantation.
Well worth checking out for something a little different.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bel ... 3540278078

http://belligerentintent.com/Main.html

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next