* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:26 am 

http://www.facebook.com/abigailwilliams ... 1323106149

Quote:
After much consideration we have decided to make these upcoming Abigail Williams shows our last US tour. This was a very hard decision to make but feels absolutely necessary at this point. I've had the best times of my life with this band and learned so much about what I want to do with music as well as what I don't like about the industry etc and we honestly feel like its best to put the band to rest after making what we feel to be our very best album. Im honestly just feeling satisfied with everything we have done as Abigail Williams and I feel ready to put it to rest. We want everyone to know this has nothing to do with differences inside the band as we are still very much a family and these are still the same people I want to make music with now and in the future.

We think that 2012 is the perfect year for new beginnings and we definitely plan to put music out later this year in the form of a new band(s). It would be easy to give people the names to our new projects here but rather than capitalize off this announcement we would rather word get out naturally starting with our friends when the time is right. We want to thank our friends and fans who have supported us through the good and bad times over the years, we know its been a very bumpy road at times. We are still very dedicated to making music and this change will actually allow us to do more of what we want to do and be more productive. We hope to see everyone on the road for this tour that we booked DIY for the most part by ourselves. The dates are below even though some of them are still waiting to be confirmed. Also we want to emphasize that this is our last US tour and that we are open to touring overseas if the right tour comes up.

7/26 Santa Barbara, CA @ Muddy Waters
7/27 Mexicali, CA @ TBA
7/28 Los Angeles, CA @ The Black Castle
7/29 Temecula, CA @ The Vault
7/30 Tempe, AZ @ The Rogue Bar
7/31 Las Vegas, NV TBA
8/3 Salt Lake City, UT TBA
8/4 Prince, UT @ house show!
8/5 Denver, CO @ Old Curtis St Bar
8/7 Midland, TX @ Pine Box
8/8 Fort Worth, TX @ Tomcats West
8/9 Austin, TX TBA
8/10 San Antonio, TX @ Zombies
8/11 Houston, TX @ Numbers
8/12 Baton Rough, LA@ Here Today Gone Tomorrow
8/13 New Orleans, LA @ Siberia
8/14 Tampa, FL TBA
8/15 Miami, FL TBA
8/16 Satellite Beach, FL @ Wynfields
8/17 Orlando, FL @ Bombshells
8/18 Columbus, GA @ The Plughouse
8/19 TBA
8/20 Johnson City,TN @ Hideaway
8/21 Roanoke, VA @ Coffin House
8/22 Baltimore, MD @ Talking Head
8/23 Frederick, MD @ Cafe 611
8/24 Pittsburgh, PA @ Smiling Moose
8/25 Columbus, OH @ The Shrunken Head
8/26 Lansing, MI @ Blackened Moon
8/27 Chicago, IL @ Ultra Lounge
8/28 Louisville, KY TBA
8/29 Nashville, TN TBA
8/30 Birmingham, AL @ The Nick
9/1 Kansas City, MO @ The Riot Room
9/2 Quincy, IL @ The State Room
9/3 St. Louis, MO @ Fubar
9/4 Des Moines, IA The House of Bricks
9/5 Milwaukee, WI @ Port of Hamburg
9/6 St Paul, MN TBA
9/7 Fargo, ND TBA
9/9 Billings, MT TBA
9/10 camping yellowstone
9/11 camping yellowstone
9/12 Boise, ID TBA
9/13 Spokane, WA TBA
9/14 Seattle, WA TBA
9/15 Portland, OR TBA

Umm...okay, this is kind of disappointing, seeing them break up right after finally releasing a decent album. It seems to me like the band is finally taking notice of the fact that they have musical ADD and they realized that they're going to look silly if they keep hopping from genre to genre with each album. Thoughts?

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:08 am 

Abigail Williams announce's their last tour, Not a single fuck was given.

Count Dirt Nap
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:02 am 

The band is a mess. They can't figure out who they want to rip off and they are always kicking members out and adding new ones. The fact that they announced breaking up is a sigh of relief because its like "finally. Now we can stop wondering when it will happen."

TheNatureofBetrayal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:18 am 

That band has had its series of problems over the years. I remember they had a big dispute with their old keyboardist when they were touring for their first EP "Legend"; they had to pick up this session player chick who was awful.

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:28 am 

I really liked Becoming, so it sucks that they decided to break up after I actually enjoyed an album, but other than that I don't really care either way. No big loss in the grand scheme.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:56 am 

Yeah I'm not a fan, especially after the unprofessional behavior of the other guitarist when I saw them live, but this seems like a good idea. I say they're always ripping off whatever is popular but for all I know maybe they just ARE full of a ton of ideas and being confined to one band certainly isn't helping. Especially with dicks like me calling them out as lame trend hopping posers whenever their sound changes.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:03 pm 

Cinerary wrote:
I really liked Becoming, so it sucks that they decided to break up after I actually enjoyed an album, but other than that I don't really care either way. No big loss in the grand scheme.

Glad I'm not the only one that thought Becoming was a decent release... Still doesn't pardon those other 2 albums they did, but I can't fault em for trying a new sound out even if it may not have been "ground breaking".

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:23 pm 

I don't insist on genre labeling, so I never quite got the AW hate regarding genre-surfing. They produced some good music.

None of it was on Becoming, however. Can't say I'm surprised that they're (Ken, really) calling it a day.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:19 pm 

If it was Wolves in the Throne Room or Skagos, I would give a shit.

But it's not, so I don't.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:20 pm 

As a band, AW really was awful. It felt like they were searching for their identity the entire time. Which is fine if you're a new local act, but is inexcusable for a nationally touring band. I'm hoping that whatever band(s) spring from this dissolution will have a bit more vision.

To be clear, my problem was not with the genre-hopping, but rather with how artificial it always felt. They always seemed to be trying on someone else's shoes instead of looking for their own.

Rusted and Rotting
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:49 pm 

I agree with many others. Becoming was a solid album, but I'm certainly not in hysterics over this news. At least they can end with one semi-good/solid album to their credit. Maybe they can go their separate ways now and each be absorbed into whatever branch or subgenre they wish.

I also agree: If this news of the split had been about WITTR or Skagos (or--hell forbid it--Deathspell Omega) I would've been extremely bummed.
"I am drunk as fuck, driving around town drunk, I'm on dope, and I want you to call the police. Not only that, but I got a loaded hand gun right here. I'm gonna start firing this off. So please call the cops." --Ricky, "Trailer Park Boys"

Krav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:50 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Yeah I'm not a fan, especially after the unprofessional behavior of the other guitarist when I saw them live, but this seems like a good idea.

Not a fan of the band either, but just curious as to what he did since I've also had the misfortune of seeing them a few times.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:20 pm 

that's. . . a bit random methinks

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:08 pm 

Count Dirt Nap wrote:
They can't figure out who they want to rip off"

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:26 pm 

Krav wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Yeah I'm not a fan, especially after the unprofessional behavior of the other guitarist when I saw them live, but this seems like a good idea.

Not a fan of the band either, but just curious as to what he did since I've also had the misfortune of seeing them a few times.

I saw them open for Vader and Immolation a while back, and this must have been right when they decided to ape WITTR because their songs were all long and purely black metal with no keys and that totally caught me off guard. But anyway since they were playing that style of music and everybody was there for two legendary death metal bands, nobody was really into their set at all. The non-vocalist guitarist (Not Ken Sorceron or whatever his name is) was getting visibly frustrated with the lack of enthusiasm and after a few songs he just stormed offstage in the middle of one of the songs. Ken, still playing the song, walked over to the side of the stage and was obviously talking to somebody who wasn't the guitarist who stormed away before going back to center stage and finishing. When the song was over he announced "I guess we're finishing this show as a three piece" and then played the last two songs. I commend Ken and the rest of the band for their professionalism and I think that guitarist was kicked out or left after that show, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth seeing this band that kept on hopping between styles without ever really figuring out what they hell they wanted to do and then acting like a spoiled kid when people didn't like the sixth change.

Basically what Ribos said, he said my feelings better than I.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:59 pm 

Wow, that's childish. Anyways, I liked everything this band released. Couldn't give less of a shit about lack of originality/riding Emperor and WITTR's dicks, they wrote memorable songs (which is more than I can say about later day Emperor) I can't say their absence will leave a void in my life, but I was curious as to where they would go next.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:19 pm 

I'm disappointed...

I did get to see them perform recently, and I also got to see them when they were first starting out. The contrast between the two performances by the same band was quite extreme almost like they were two completely different bands- the first time they sounded like a deathcore band incorporating lots of black metal influences... but the recent performance was completely different. Atmospheric and taking quite a few cues from Wolves in the Throne Room. Never really sounded like a rip off of WITTR though, and Becoming is by far Abigail Williams' best album.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:45 pm 

Count Dirt Nap wrote:
They can't figure out who they want to rip off"

Sad but true. They should get a more honest idea of what they want to do instead jumping on the current trend. Becoming wasn't terrible per se, but it was 100% pointless.

MetalHeadNorm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:55 am 

I'll probably go to that Lansing date. Last time I saw them opening for... I think they opened for Rotting Christ but they played competently and I think they get way too much shit talked about them than they really deserve ><.

What do you mean by that? How quickly I reply?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:01 am 

MetalHeadNorm wrote:
...I think they get way too much shit talked about them than they really deserve ><.

This. Judging from what people say about them they make it seem like AW's the only band ever to have a different style every album.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Tarkellyt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:20 pm 

This is sad. Of course, they won't be coming near Kansas. Nobody does.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:24 pm 

I really liked Becoming. Hated everything else they released though. I'd like them to continue in the style of Becoming.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:45 am 

They are a mess, but Eternium is still playing with them September 3rd, it's one hell of a first show for us.

Reply to topic