Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:54 pm 

According to King's Facebook, the man himself is working on an autobiography. It will extensively cover both his personal and musical life as the leader of the amazing Deceased, among others. It will also contain tons of pictures, rare and otherwise.

For me, this is a must-read. As anyone who knows King can tell you, the man is the real deal. He's devoted his life to music, and is a wealth of knowledge. Plus, he's hilarious!

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by ~Guest 171512 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:54 pm 

I think he's had a full career and has a lot of commentary he can share about his time in the death metal scene and his influences. I've only recently gotten into the bands music and I am a big fan of the bands latter material, its not often you see a death metal band incorporate speed and heavy metal influences into their music and still write excellent songs.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:52 am 

i think it'd be an excellent read, the dan lilker one is due out some day too [biography, not autobiography though]

up the tombstones!

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:48 am 

I would so buy it.

Last.fm

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:26 pm 

I would be interested in reading it, but he's kind of a polarizing figure in metal to me. He can be very pompous and insulting if he doesn't like a band, or a band member, despite whatever success they've achieved in comparison to his glorified garage band.

savagevelocithrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:12 pm 

Cool. This guy is evolved in some really great bands like October 31 and Doomstone in the past. Also, this guy must have a lot of weird and funny stories about the Metal scene back in the days. Deceased is a very ubnderrated band.

NorthernDarkness6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:18 pm 

I like the music of Deceased and October 31, especially "The Traumatic" and "Powerhouse", but since I became aware of how King Fowley viciously badmouthed my favorite band in Slayer Magazine, I've stopped listening to them. In this Slayer Magazine, he basically ranted that he hopes a certain band member dies. This is not legitimate constructive criticism.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:46 am 

if you guys haven't checked out the band biographies on deceased's website (www.upthetombstones.net) I suggest reading them as they are quite interesting. so i'm looking forward to king's autobiography, he's an interesting and opinionated guy .

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:12 am 

Anyone who helped with Those Whom Satan Hath Joined and Supernatural Addiction is good in my books. I really should check some of his interviews to see who he is bashing. I honestly wish more known musicians would do that sort of thing, rather than just try to play the diplomat all the time.

Not sure I'll buy his book though. Autobiographies are usually corny as hell.

NorthernDarkness6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:26 pm 

While I agree with King Fowley's attacks on nu metal and the big 4 hype, other statements of his can't be supported. For example, he says that he doesn't like Judas Priest's "Pain Killer" but "Visions of the End" by October 31 sounds like it would fit perfectly on the "Pain Killer" album. Also, he said that In Solitude's MDF performance in 2011 was boring. I've seen both Deceased and October 31 live, and I think that In Solitude are much better live and on record. Dissection and Destruction are other bands that he has unfairly badmouthed.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:52 pm 

I'd definitely consider buying the book when it comes out, if anything just to learn about King Fowley and his contributions to the metal world.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:02 pm 

He is a very opinionated man, but I honestly don't see why that should bother anybody. So what if he bashes a band you like? I love Destruction as much as anyone, and yet I still like reading his harsh words about them. It's just funny. After all, he's the first one to tell you to like whatever you like, and damn whatever anyone else might think.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:06 pm 

You all act as if the bulk of metalheads don't lampoon each other for likng "x" metal and x album. He is just easy to pick on because he's in a more successful band than any of us wil ever be in, and he isn't afraid to piss a few people off by insulting others pet bands.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

FredSanford
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:39 am 

King doesn't pull any punches when it comes to his opinions on bands, but he is really one of the nicest guys around to fellow fans of metal. The guy has sent me free stuff in the mail, and he doesn't know me from Adam.

Many people have confronted him about things he has said about other bands, and I've always seen him handle it with class and a friendly attitude. Thiestru was correct when he said this:

Thiestru wrote:
After all, he's the first one to tell you to like whatever you like, and damn whatever anyone else might think.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:38 pm 

AAAHHHHHHH!

I am SO getting this. I can't wait for the inevitable hilarity that is sure to ensue.

NorthernDarkness6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:44 pm 

I'm grateful to King Fowley for releasing excellent Metal such as Satan's Host, Iron Angel, Backwater, and Cities on his Old Metal Records Label. However, his behavior raises red flags. If you read the Metalion Slayer Diaries book, you will see that he says that he hopes the legendary lead singer of a certain band dies. This band that he attacks is not only my favorite band, but also the favorite band of Cronos and Mantas of Venom, Mike Torrao of Possessed, and Kerry King of Slayer. In the same interview he also rants against Jon Nodtveidt in an irrational way. Jon Nodtveidt should be judged for classics such as "Night's Blood" and "Frozen" instead of one industrial experiment. Some of the bands that he has attacked are much more important than Deceased, October 31, and his Old Metal Records releases, so I have to condemn this behavior.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:23 pm 

NorthernDarkness6 wrote:
I'm grateful to King Fowley for releasing excellent Metal such as Satan's Host, Iron Angel, Backwater, and Cities on his Old Metal Records Label. However, his behavior raises red flags. If you read the Metalion Slayer Diaries book, you will see that he says that he hopes the legendary lead singer of a certain band dies. This band that he attacks is not only my favorite band, but also the favorite band of Cronos and Mantas of Venom, Mike Torrao of Possessed, and Kerry King of Slayer. In the same interview he also rants against Jon Nodtveidt in an irrational way. Jon Nodtveidt should be judged for classics such as "Night's Blood" and "Frozen" instead of one industrial experiment. Some of the bands that he has attacked are much more important than Deceased, October 31, and his Old Metal Records releases, so I have to condemn this behavior.

Are you sure that he wasn't just speaking in hyperbole when he wished death upon the frontman of this band (who for some reason you have actively avoided naming)? People do that a lot, I wouldn't take it too seriously; I'm sure King didn't. A lot of your favorite artists despise bands and band members who you love; they're just not as vocal about it.

I'm definitely gonna buy this if I can. King's one of the few people in metal whom I truly look up to; I already love reading interviews by the guy. He's such a colorful character who has a true passion for the music, always nice to hear what he has to say.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:29 pm 

Again, who the hell cares what he says about bands? He's definitely prone to hyperbole, which I think is hilarious, and in no way to be taken seriously. If he comes and runs over your kitten, then you can complain about his behavior 'raising red flags', but as it is, it's just silly. If you don't like something he says, it's easy enough to avoid him.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:54 pm 

Having seen Deceased and October 31 live many times and been around King enough, he may say some out there things, but he's also really nice and if you disagree with him, he's entirely respectful about it. He also has a lot of interesting stories, so this could be cool.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:35 am 

NorthernDarkness6 wrote:
If you read the Metalion Slayer Diaries book, you will see that he says that he hopes the legendary lead singer of a certain band dies. This band that he attacks is not only my favorite band, but also the favorite band of Cronos and Mantas of Venom, Mike Torrao of Possessed, and Kerry King of Slayer.

So who is this favourite band of yours, and why do you actively avoid mentioning their name?

More importantly, why do you feel the need to give so much of a fuck?
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Heavy_T_Skubbs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:45 pm 

TBF In Solitude's performance at MDF was pretty boring. Their sound was off, it was about 90 degrees, and the band seemed pretty sluggish (a deadly mixture of drugs + leather pants, perhaps?).

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:32 pm 

triggerhappy wrote:
So who is this favourite band of yours, and why do you actively avoid mentioning their name?

I'd like to know this too. My guess is Judas Priest.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:35 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
triggerhappy wrote:

I'd like to know this too. My guess is Judas Priest.

That was my first guess as well, but seeing as King mentions them as a major influence in their early days on Deceased's website, I doubt it.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:28 pm 

That's true, but he's had some negative things to say about Halford too. *shrug* Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

NorthernDarkness6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:58 pm 

Yes. It's Judas Priest. I wanted to see if people could guess. I believe that Rob Halford made some mistakes going modernist with Fight and industrial with Two, but he later redeemed himself with "Resurrection" and "Crucible" and then, of course, "Angel of Retribution". "Nostradamus" some songs that don't do anything for me, but the title track is one of my favorites. It seems to me that King Fowley will condemn Rob Halford or Jon Nodveidt to eternal condemnation for one mistake while ignoring their legendary contributions and extolling bands such as Y & T and Madam X who are simply not in the same league. This is why he rubs me the wrong way.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:05 pm 

Well, if it bothers you that much, don't read his autobiography when it comes out. =P Having spoken to him quite a bit though, it just doesn't bother me when he badmouths bands I like, and he pretty much always does so in a manner I find amusing. Besides, he's No Doubt's biggest fanboy, which is extremely humorous in itself. =D

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:10 am 

Uh oh! King's hyperbole is causing butthurt again!

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:43 am 

if it ain't diamond then it ain't king to me and i don't need it!
Just saying!

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:11 am 

Um... ok. Your loss.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:40 am 

You do realize that King is his real name, right?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:42 am 

An abridgment of his real name anyway. :P

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:20 am 

Well, right. King is closer to Kingsley than it is to Kim Bendix. =]

NorthernDarkness6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:56 pm 

Here are some quotes from King Fowley from an interview linked below.

On Dio: "Great singer, terrible songwriter. Loved 'Holy Diver' - 'The Last in Line' on let me down."

He dismisses Judas Priest's "Painkiller": "They tried to go thrash with 'Painkiller'... That's not a Priest album."

"A lot of big bands from the eighties that people call legends now, don't do nothing for me. I'm not into Celtic Frost at all. I'm not into Destruction at all. I'm not into Possessed at all."

"We Rock", "Breathless", "Wild One", are terrible songwriting??? I beg to differ. As for "Painkiller", the title track, "Metal Meltdown", and "All Guns Blazing" demonstrate speed/thrash metal influences but the rest, such as "Leather Rebel" and "One Shot at Glory", are melodic classic HM. Also, I think that "Painkiller" and "Riding on the Wind" are 2 songs that are the definition of Heavy Metal. With quotes such as these, King Fowley should not be held up as the authority on what is or isn't Heavy Metal.

http://www.metalupdate.com/interviewdeceased.html

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:11 pm 

From those quotes, he's not saying anything absurdly horrendous or defamatory, man. He's giving his opinions on popular metal music.
Dissenting opinions on your favorite artists/bands are allowed, you know.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:37 pm 

You're taking this way too seriously. No one claimed that he was an authority on what is good metal. I'm with you on pretty much everything he said up there - I disagree. But so what? He's just expressing his opinion, just as we all are. I'm not interested in his autobiography because I want a tome containing his thoughts on other bands; I'm interested because he's had a full, interesting life, and I love his music. Also because he cracks me up. :)

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:04 am 

NorthernDarkness feels that King is personally assaulting his metal anus.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:09 am 

NorthernDarkness6 wrote:
While I agree with King Fowley's attacks on nu metal and the big 4 hype, other statements of his can't be supported. For example, he says that he doesn't like Judas Priest's "Pain Killer" but "Visions of the End" by October 31 sounds like it would fit perfectly on the "Pain Killer" album. Also, he said that In Solitude's MDF performance in 2011 was boring. I've seen both Deceased and October 31 live, and I think that In Solitude are much better live and on record. Dissection and Destruction are other bands that he has unfairly badmouthed.

I didn't think In Solitude's 2011 MDF performance was all that great, either.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:11 am 

NorthernDarkness6 wrote:

I didn't think In Solitude's 2011 MDF performance was all that great, either.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:03 pm 

I don't remember them at MDF 2011, but when I saw them a few months ago they were awful. Seriously just terrible.

king fowley
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:04 am 

cheers all!

well i see a bit has been brought up, i'll try and clear some of it up!

in solitude was terrible at mdf to me. yeah they played fine and all but it didnt go anywhere song wise and they looked as bored
up there as most of the crowd did watching it. came off a third band of 6 at a local metal night to me.

rob halford is a piece of shit to me. i love, read that again, love J.P up to and inlcluding 'screaming...', it started to go real bad to me and the contrived 'painkiller' was an attempt in spots to be current and more speedish. sure its got a few decent songs, but it's farrrrrrrr from a classic to me! halford shit on heavy metal .yep i'm 44 and older then alot of you, but to me that's a disgrace. took the 'fuck off metal' stance when metal was a bad word. that's super lame. then came back and trademarked 'metal god' for his calling card name. pathetic! do i wish him death? no! am i disgusted at him forever ?, YES!

y&t first 5 records are incredible. some of the best hard rock ever written out of america to me. they didn't make it and
let up, softened up and in the end 'blew it'!~ i have those early records forever :)
madam x is ok, i like most of the one album. not sure how they got mntioned in the class of y&t :)

jon dissection and me had a long talk via phone and he told me of his hatred for techno and dance in depth and how he'd never be a part of it etc etc. then he did it. i called him a fucking liar is all i did with him. not into liars or people who 180 it.

i love dio so much. cried when he dies. but he DOES need help writing classic albums. he needed ritchie and he needed iommi, like they needed him. solo he had a pocketful of classics in hand. actually one or two tunes from 'holy diver' are from sabs day. but it got very sub par quickly. sure 'we rock' kicks ass. but 'last in line' lets up and has more filler then killer. then it got worse and worse.
it just did. not his best. great, great voice but a guy who had kinda silly lyrics alto of time and alot of filler solo material! my opinion

i've seen so many bands and people literaly knock the people uotside the tour bus paying to see them. from nick of paradise lost, to dave/trey of morbid angel to schmier and destruction, to many, many more. makes me sick to see folks do this. ego fuckers. not my thing. this is supposed to be a unified togetherness, but some, sadly make that ALOT of bands are only out to jerk themselves off and be the gene simmons at the local rock club on any given night. boo, hiss to that!!

i lvoe the possessed demo. the debut let me down. horrid drumming really hurt it. and they cleaned it up a bit too much for my liking.
never liked destruction. vocals are hideous and the songs neve rhit me as heavy/wicked/cool. much preferred early sodom and kreator and violent force and iron angel demos to add on.

i love no doubt. i'm a freak for my girly pop ala benatar, blondie, missing persons, berlin, no doubt, operator please, etc etc
something i always have and always will adore :)

i'm nice toe veryone. anywhere. i'm n ot better then anyone, just another person in the world. ask anyone who'se ever talked to me
if i've shown then a shitty higher than thou attitude or otherwise. i bet you wont find even one. not my way of looknig at life.
sure we might not agree on bands, who cares? you can tell me gwen stefani eats a horses dick or blondie sucks john amos testicles. wont make me dislike you at all. being yourself is a good thing in my eyes. i don't feel i've been overly rude too often on bands and calling them out. it's how i see it in my passionate way.

ok i'll stop now. i saw this online and thought i'[d come in and say 'hey'. :)

cheers to anyone and everyone and wishing everyone well through the holidays and beyond
:)

anyone wants to chit chat talk etc [email protected]

anytime!

be well and be yourself

king

p.s deceased, october 31 are both bands i'm very proud of. the music we've made means alot to me if not anyone else. music has got me through drug issues as a teen, drinking issues as an adult and is the one real 'outlet' in my life that has bettered me as a human being and to going forward instead of stagnate living. that's all i ever wanted with it. someone likes it, cool! someone hates it, cool too! we do our thing and always will! nothing more, nothing less!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next