Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EspirituMapache44
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:34 am 

Alrighty, this is my first post, so bare with me :P

My name is Bella and I have a vastly eclectic taste in music, depending on my mood. Lately, I've been in the mood for metal/rock which is why I am here (duh, lol)

I am looking for some new music to listen to and hopefully some one can help. I'd like to find female fronted metal (?) sung in spanish. I realize this is a metal forum and that I put a (?) next to the word metal. To the people I know, if it's not 100% screaming un-understandably then its not 'metal'. I like haunting/symphonic/gothy type of metal though; some female fronted bands I like are Evanescence (which I'm not sure if they're considered metal but I absolutely love Amy Lee's voice and signing style) Lacuna Coil, Nighwish, Sirenia and Within Temptation.. and Barona (the only female fronted spanish metal band I know of that sings rather than screams) because honestly I don't like a ton of screaming most of the time (though I do like Cradle of Filth). I'm hoping by now you're getting the feeling of what I like/am looking for, if anyone could help. I would also LOVE to know where I can get my hands on some Barona, besides the limited amount available on YouTube.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:50 am 

EspirituMapache44 wrote:
I'd like to find female fronted metal (?) sung in spanish.

First and foremost, Santa. Not similar to any of the bands that you listed, though, but I just can't not mention them.

As for other options closer to what you seem to be looking for, KHY is the first that comes to mind that fulfills the "sung in Spanish" requirement. Most of the rest sing in English.

P.S: Barona are not Spanish, although they sing in that language. ;)

EspirituMapache44
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:04 pm 

Thank you for your suggestions, I can't wait to check them out XD
Even if Santa isn't similar to what I listed, there's always the possibility that I'll like them anyway.

About Barona- I thought they were from Argentina? I heard about Barona from a friend (from Argentina) She said they were pretty low-key and from a town close to where she's from. I miss listening to them but the friend moved back to Argentina and we lost touch so I can't ask her about getting ahold of some. When I look up Barona on YouTube it's mostly live videos and only a few that aren't - I like the songs I found via YouTube, too, but I have no idea if its the same Barona (just newer music maybe?) as I used to listen to with my friend or if it's a different band. Either way, it's still good, just hard to find. Any ideas on where to purchase?

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:19 pm 

EspirituMapache44 wrote:
About Barona- I thought they were from Argentina?

They are. And therefore, they are not Spanish. They are Argentinian. :P

And apparently they have stuff for sale on iTunes and Amazon. I suppose physical copies of their works might not be available worldwide, though. So maybe you'll have to plan a short trip to Argentina? :P

EspirituMapache44
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:30 pm 

Lmao you totally got me :P
I should have got that *shakes head in shame* especially since I am part Spanish. In fact when people ask my ethnicity I used to say part Spanish first and they'd stop me and say "Yeah but from what country?" and I'd be like "uh, duh, Spain?"- eventually I started saying part Brazilian first and then part Spain -ish from my dad and Irish/Czech from my mom. 

I'll check out iTunes :) thanks and as much as I'd love to go to Argentina I don't think my husband would consider needing to buy a CD a good enough reason to go there :P. Especially since we have been "planning" to go to his country (Honduras) for well over a year and have yet to actually make it happen

Grapist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:23 pm 

No female vox here, but I'd still recommend Mago de Oz for a clean, Spanish speaking folk metal/rock straddling band. They have a substantial body of work and play around with rock operas and concept albums (sometimes the concepts/stories carry for multiple albums).
Try this, they're fun:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC6UsL_QLeo

EspirituMapache44
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:46 am 

I've listened to them in the past, I like some but its not my current mood.. if that makes sense lol

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:20 am 

Grapist wrote:
No female vox here

Actually Patricia Tapia (from KHY, one of my two recs above) occasionally does vocals for Mago de Oz. Not lead vocals, and not in all songs, but it's something.

EspirituMapache44
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:37 pm 

Really? I've never come across them- which songs?

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:50 pm 

EspirituMapache44 wrote:
Really? I've never come across them- which songs?

Sorry, but that I don't know. I'm not the biggest fan of either KHY or Mago de Oz... Try Mago's more recent releases, starting with whatever came after "Finisterra" (the last one worth listening to IMO, haven't bothered to keep up with the rest besides listening to a few songs here and there each time they released an album, to see if they were getting good again). You can check up the band's page here, and see if there's info about the lineup on the albums. If there is, you'll find in which albums Patricia sings.

Actually, let me just do that for you, since I'm already here... Apparently Patricia started to provide vocals for Mago in 2007. So she sings in all albums starting with "La ciudad de los árboles".

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:58 pm 

Marcela Bovio from Stream of Passion is Mexican, and sometimes sings in Spanish for them, but she sung solely in Spanish in her old band elfonia IIRC. Also she sung on pale traces by the gathering and there's a Spanish version of that song on the city from above EP.

Ferturi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:24 pm 

I think you might like Anabantha. Mexican female-fronted gothic metal in the vein of Lacuna Coil, etc...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35G2sQUkLvw

Aquarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:52 am 

Ivana d'Arc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD8RkpbtRno

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:21 pm 

I've been on a female-fronted metal kick myself lately, and I found these guys: Wurdalak. They're from Spain, and their album Lo Que Mueve el Mundo at least is entirely in Spanish. Not annoyingly gothic or operatic either.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:50 pm 

Check out Medina Azahara. They're kind of andaluzian rock/metal outfit. Some of their stuff is catchy in the best traditional metal way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1R5FpO05f8

Also, Kraken isn't Spanish but Colombian so they sing in Spanish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ei2mpZcLqs

Also, completely different, Hordak is a great Spanish pagan metal band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onm-92ZT4DI

Reply to topic