Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:35 am 

Maniac Matis wrote:
Big arms DOES NOT mean you're strong. Doing 20 bodyweight (or weighted) pullups/dips gets you MUCH stronger faster than curling a dumbbell/barbell does. The biggest guy is not ALWAYS the strongest!! Hence why strongmen outlift bodybuilders 9/10 times.
Truth. Here's a good video highlighting the difference between the two athletes. Personally, I do I hybrid routine that combines strength and size 'cause the ladies are into the whole "buff" look, even though I prefer strength training.

About a month ago I reached a personal goal of deadlifting 405 for 5 reps 2 sets. It felt great being stronger than I've ever been before. However, two weeks ago, I experienced a major setback: I fractured my ankle (unrelated to lifting). By the time the doctor clears me to start full-on lifting again, I'll be lucky if I can do 405 for a single :(

I will be able to start stationary biking and doing some light rep work in another few weeks, though, so there's that.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:23 am 

Well...the thing is, pullups and dips are compound exercises and curling is isolation, so they aren't really comparable. Raw bicep strength can indeed be measured far better by curling than anything else.

Anyway, no one is going to dispute the fact that strongmen will outlift bodybuilders. That's the whole point, though let's not kid ourselves: it isn't like pro bodybuilders, natural or otherwise, are weaklings. It seems that in the weight training world people have this idea that all bodybuilders are weak caring only about aesthetics.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:32 am 

My current "regime" is to lift dumbbells for about fifteen minutes daily, periodically buying bigger dumbbells. Not the most intricate or balanced plan, but I'm of the "lift heavy things" philosophy more than anything - I've been tempted to take some classes in grappling or some similar activity over summer - something I've lately really wanted to try.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:42 pm 

w0Lf wrote:
Maniac Matis wrote:
Big arms DOES NOT mean you're strong. Doing 20 bodyweight (or weighted) pullups/dips gets you MUCH stronger faster than curling a dumbbell/barbell does. The biggest guy is not ALWAYS the strongest!! Hence why strongmen outlift bodybuilders 9/10 times.
Truth. Here's a good video highlighting the difference between the two athletes. Personally, I do I hybrid routine that combines strength and size 'cause the ladies are into the whole "buff" look, even though I prefer strength training.

About a month ago I reached a personal goal of deadlifting 405 for 5 reps 2 sets. It felt great being stronger than I've ever been before. However, two weeks ago, I experienced a major setback: I fractured my ankle (unrelated to lifting). By the time the doctor clears me to start full-on lifting again, I'll be lucky if I can do 405 for a single :(

I will be able to start stationary biking and doing some light rep work in another few weeks, though, so there's that.

Watched that video. I like how the strongman tells the bodybuilder "Now it's not a curl!" when they go to deadlift the tire. I bet you you could've flipped it. Another funny thing is that if I heard right (they were only talking in english half the time) then the bodybuilder, who is bigger and older than me, was squatting 150 lbs. I couldnt really tell because he was using bumper plates. But if so, then that means I squat more and with better form (ass to grass!). He was only doing half squats, which are actually terrible for the knees. Competitions wont even count reps unless you go below parallel. But hey, 405x2 is impressive! Good job and keep squatting and deadlifting! The more you do both, the stronger both of those lifts will get. Squatting/deadlifting will actually help "ego lifters" get the bigger arms/stronger chest that they want too! They are compound lifts that work 4+ muscle groups and your core. More muscles being worked = more testosterone being produced.

Poisonfume wrote:
Well...the thing is, pullups and dips are compound exercises and curling is isolation, so they aren't really comparable. Raw bicep strength can indeed be measured far better by curling than anything else.

I know, I know. Curling just seems so superficial. I HATE seeing guys come into the gym and IMMEDIATELY go to the dumbbells. Either they don't know what else to do, or they really just want to get laid.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:10 pm 

regarding the "curling issue" :wink: :
I do a quite balanced Push & Pull training routine since quite some time and of course
it includes exercises like squats, deadlifts and benchpress. But I have to admit that
the curls which are (of course) incorporated in the pull section together with skull-
crushers (push) are admittedly those are the most fun. Yes, they possibly aren't neccessary
due to the compound stuff I also do but I can't help... they are fun, hey :-P
I always do them as the last exercise to "give myself the rest", so to say...

Last edited by grauer_mausling on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:36 pm 

Funny you should say that, grauer, I was ready to write about how I found curling to be the funnest exercise earlier.
Curling and skullcrushers are definitely the funnest for me too, probably because I use the EZ bar. It's just a super neat little bar, and like you said it feels like a reward/rest. It usually comes at the end of the workout so it feels like the cherry on top to a fulfilling and productive session.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:39 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
Funny you should say that, grauer, I was ready to write about how I found curling to be the funnest exercise earlier.
... It usually comes at the end of the workout so it feels like the cherry on top to a fulfilling and productive session.

:beer:

erickg13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:55 pm 

I was able to get into the pool for first time in a few months after having foot surgery and could still do a 500 yard swim in about 10 minutes. I was reasonably proud of my accomplishment. I just can't wait until I can start lifting again.

Horned_Owl_Holocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:00 am 

Maniac Matis wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
^^I know exactly how you feel, especially about making excuses. But here is a tip for everyone: Definitely avoid machines, and stick to free weights. The reason is that when you use a machine, the weight is almost always guided, like it's on a set track, the weight doesn't move except for its destined path, and it's 100% stable. Freeweights are better IMO because they cause you to work more by keeping the wight stable, learning the proper lifting techniques, and building up small support muscles.
Keeping the weights steady forces you to lift right, or not get as many of the benefits and probably hurt yourself. In that respect freeweights are harder to use, but you get easily twicer the benefit. Plus it's better to start using them now, so when you get to the point (and you will) where you can max out all the machines, you don't wander over to the free wieghts section, pick up a 40lb dumbel and want to cry (this totally happened to me). Plus when you lift with Fw's, you being the main stablizer, your smaller muscles will begin to get stronger too. say for instance, when you flat bench, a dumbel in each hand, you ectend and hold, and you may notice your arms shaking. This is because the smaller muscles around the main group you are working on, aren't as strong as they should be. it takes a long time, but freewights will get those smaller muscles you didn't know you had worked out and stronger, which is, infact, the goal. onviously you can still use some machines, but try making the switch.

Can't agree with this enough. Machines are for pussies.
Also, I seem to be one of the only people in this thread who is actually trying to GAIN weight. I've been eating close to 3,000 calories and drinking close to a gallon of chocolate milk daily. Not EVERY day, of course! Don't wanna be a diabetic! >:)

Basically I'm doing Starting Strength routines which has me lifting 3x a week. Squatting all 3 days (easily the most miserable powerlift), deadlifting twice a week (one day light, one day heavy), and benching twice a week. On top of those I do accessory, but necessary lifts such as overhead press, bent-over-rows, and pull-ups/dips. I RARELY ever curl because it just seems so superficial. It's an ego lift.

As for the whole weight-gaining thing...it's working. Sort of. I clock in at 152 lbs which is 10 more than when I started lifting 3 months ago. I'm extremely toned but wont look "intimidating" as mentioned by the OP until I'm 180+. I havn't put on any noticable size but have put on considerable strength gains in 3 months. Strength always preceeds mass.

First time I squatted below parallel: 95 lbs
Now: 170 lbs

First time I deadlifted: 175 lbs (HARDEST THING EVER)
Now: Pulled 315 yesterday.

First time I benched: 100 lbs
Now: 150 lbs

Bench is consequently the hardest stronglift to raise, but the least important. The guy who squats 225+ ass to grass will always be stronger than the wigger who habitually curls and benches like some egoic routine whilst hitting on chicks inbetween sets. Moral of the story: GO TO THE GYM FOR YOURSELF!!!!!!!

I find your complex against lifting for aesthetics to be pretty strange. Yes, anyone who God forbid wants to look good for some girls and improve their physical fitness is some egomaniac wigger. I love how you use "ego lifting" like strength isn't as egotistic as aesthetics. The desire to be stronger for yourself, or to be stronger than others isn't much different from wanting to be more aesthetic. Don't get me wrong I have no issue with any type of lifting - I've gotten results with compound and isolated exercises, and think both have their place, but you sound like an egomaniac with a superiority complex the way you bad mouth anybody who doesn't exclusively strength train with compound lifts. Get over yourself. You weigh 150 lbs and are a tiny little beta male yet you have the audacity to tell other people they are doing it wrong, lol. I (and the ladies) will enjoy my big arms thanks to isolated exercises as well as my "real" strength from squatting/dead lifting.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:54 am 

I'm not saying I'm an expert lifter by any means. All I'm saying is that I've gotten results, in a short amount of time!

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:05 am 

Yeah, squats and deadlifts are more important, but big arms are cool and so curls must be included as well.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:32 pm 

a friend of mine introduced me to Crossfit yesterday and I tell you it was damn exhausting ( = great)
Not sure if it is also suited for building up a bit more mass (which is my goal) but it was pure fun
and just "other" than any I've trained before. Gonna try it for a month and see what it has to offer to me :wink:

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:49 pm 

Does anyone have anything to say about abdominal planks, or whatever they're called? I discovered them today and I'm thinking of doing that for a minute or two before my other exercises - are they worthwhile, in anyone's experience?

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:23 am 

I normally do three different plank exercises at the end of my workout. I have the feeling that they are
a really good way to develop more stabilize my core and esp. lower back muscles and think they are
very good and healthy exercises.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:59 am 

I could/can run fast, that's about it ;).

Any other runners here?

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:53 pm 

Just a couple weeks ago I started drastically altering my diet. I've cut down on starches significantly and replaced them with "good" carbs, like veggies, and have learned to love fruit smoothies. In 2 1/2 weeks I've dropped about 7 pounds so far. I'm not obese (currently about 213) but would like to drop about 20-30 lbs. I'm muscular because I have worked out for years, but I've got some fat I need to shed that I haven't been able to for a long time. I'm feeling pretty good so far. For the longest time I couldn't break 220 consistently. I'd lose a couple pounds, then gain, then lose, then gain, then stay the same, etc. I think I've finally found something that works - and works very well.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:48 pm 

XcKyle93 wrote:

Any other runners here?

Yes. I am really into doing 5ks, but I have been holding off running for a while now due to persistent knee problems that I am working on fixing so no serious racing for a while. What sort of distances do you enjoy running?

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:01 pm 

XcKyle93 wrote:

Any other runners here?

Yessir, was both a long-distance runner and sprinter in my high-school teams, competed on an international level. Though long-distance running is considered a lonely sport, I have great memories of team spirit and sportsmanship running mile after mile with the fellow runners. Plus, it was a treat because we'd always go on different routes through parks and the city, so one could explore and pay attention to surroundings (running circuits around a track for over one lap is too boring for me).
Also love sprinting...the explosiveness and the sense of almost flying thrills me. I must admit, the workouts were a lot less tiresome than their long-distance counterparts so it was a relief when I switched.

That was two years ago. Now I weight train and I'm totally out of shape in terms of cardio.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:21 pm 

does anybody have a logical explanation why I lose bench press strength easier than any others? I had a joint injury on my right wrist and was out of action for 3 and half weeks and when I got back to the gym my bench press had dropped a little bit but everything else remained the same

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:37 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
Yessir, was both a long-distance runner and sprinter in my high-school teams

I'm looking to do either some sprinting or running to complement my weight traning, preferably sprinting. Do you have any tips for someone who doesn't know shit about speed training other than "run fast"?

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
does anybody have a logical explanation why I lose bench press strength easier than any others? I had a joint injury on my right wrist and was out of action for 3 and half weeks and when I got back to the gym my bench press had dropped a little bit but everything else remained the same

No idea, but I can relate. Had to stay away from the gym a few weeks and the bench press was the hardest to recover

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:52 pm 

Marag wrote:
Poisonfume wrote:
Yessir, was both a long-distance runner and sprinter in my high-school teams

I'm looking to do either some sprinting or running to complement my weight traning, preferably sprinting. Do you have any tips for someone who doesn't know shit about speed training other than "run fast"?

Mostly things that you could probably find online if you googled.
For speed and performance, the most important thing is probably technique. You really need to swing those arms and use your whole body for momentum to be as explosive as possible. Also, the only part of the foot that should make contact with the ground is the very front. You want to be essentially be running on your tippy toes and nothing else. For most people starting out this seems strange, but trust me, you're sacrificing a lot of speed and momentum if you use your whole foot. When done correctly you feel like you're flying. It's all about explosiveness.

EDIT: Basics of running apply to technique here too, like keeping a good posture, not tilting your head or anything (fixate ahead on your goal) and having your arms more or less at a 90 degree angle, pumping and alternating oppositely to your legs (left leg forward with right arm forward, etc.)

If you're weight training you probably will have a strong upper and lower body, so once you perfect your technique you should be very fast (provided you're reasonably lean, of course). However, sprinting exercises will definitely make you a better runner. Interval exercises are pretty much the best, and you can change it up all the time. It can be a pyramid type (sprint 100m, walk 50m, sprint 200m, walk 50m, sprint 100m, walk etc.) or just simply running 100s or 200s with a couple of minutes of rest in between.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:38 pm 

So, for nearly a month now I have been doing CrossFit (3 x week) and I have to say: I love it :hyper:
Yes, it is an old hype (in the US) which finally reached my town in here in germany but I don't care
about hype-stuf. The only thing that counts for me is what it gives me - and this is a lot!
The workouts leave me totally (positively) exhausted and when the session is over I lie sweating
on the floor, grinning dumbly :-D
Generally I'm feeling fitter than ever (if I now could only stop the cigarettes) and combined
with 1-2 x week normale weight lifting I think I found the perfect training routine for me...

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:30 pm 

So when I first left for Korea in January I was a pretty solid 175+ and as of today, back in Japan, I'm 158 again. Don't even remember the last time I lost that much mass, and I bet my lists suck now too :ugh:

So yeah after this jungle warfare shit next week lifting is gonna be my life for about a month...

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:41 pm 

I've dropped 9.5lbs in 6 weeks. Not bad.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:41 pm 

LanceCriminal wrote:
So when I first left for Korea in January I was a pretty solid 175+ and as of today, back in Japan, I'm 158 again. Don't even remember the last time I lost that much mass, and I bet my lists suck now too :ugh:

So yeah after this jungle warfare shit next week lifting is gonna be my life for about a month...

What's your height?

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:19 am 

Poisonfume wrote:
LanceCriminal wrote:

What's your height?

Roughly 6 feet, I'm pretty lanky

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:06 pm 

"nice" warm-up we did at the last workout:
playing AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" and with each "Thunder" sung doing a burpee and running on spot in between.
So much for getting soaked in sweat in under five minutes :-D

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:10 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
"nice" warm-up we did at the last workout:
playing AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" and with each "Thunder" sung doing a burpee and running on spot in between.
So much for getting soaked in sweat in under five minutes :-D

What exactly are crossfit workouts like? I can't figure it out by the promotional videos.
Still getting that horrible nausea during workouts, by the way. It's tearing me apart.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:51 pm 

The workouts differ each session and before each workout we do some kind of "skill" training which
normally is one compound exercise done to a max weight / single rep.
Here are two various session descriptions done in the last days:

one day:
- warming up with the "thunderstruck-burpees"
- skill training deadlift (starting with low weight and rising up till you reach a weight which you can handle only for one rep)
- then the actual workout (all done with no weights)
doing as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes with one round consisting of:
5 Pull Ups
10 Push Ups
15 Squats

sounds quite easy, yes, but approx. after the third round it will get to a total pain in the ass also because you're
supposed to take as little resting seconds as you can handle. Only stopping every now and then for 10 secs or so
to take some deep breath...

another day:
- normal warm up (bit of running, stretching etc)
- then the terror in form of 5 rounds of:
lungees with a 40 lbs plate raised above your head for 50 metres
40 kettlebell swings
30 broad jumps / leaps
20 deadlifts (with a weight you could handle 20 reps in the first round)
10 double unders (doubled rope jumps or if you can't do double unders like me :wink: 40 normal rope jumps)
we had 60 minutes time for these rounds . I couldn't finish the 5th round in the given time however...

of course, the further the rounds go you won't be able to do the reps in a straight row. so you do, say, 13 kettlebell swings, rest
for some seconds, do another 9, rest for a few more secs etc.pp until you reach the amount

yet another day:
- warm up
- then:
300 metre sprint running
3 rounds of 40 rope jumps and 10 toes to bar (hang on a pull up bar and raise your toes as high as possible (ab exercise))
200 metre sprint running
3 rounds of 10 push ups and 10 kettlebell swings
100 metre sprint running
30 box jumps (jumping on a approx. 50 cm box)
30 burpees

Those are some workouts done in the past days. As I said each session is different in both duration and focus.

I'm really digging it so far. It's easily the most exhausting stuff I've ever did, haha.
Combined with some normal weight lifting on other days (we talked about this "arm exercises are fun", didn't we :wink: ? )
it is the best choice for me personally. There sure are many people not liking CrossFit or questioning the way of training but to
me all that matters is how I feel with it, so yeah - I like it.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:27 pm 

Wow, thanks for the in depth response. I must say, this sounds like an incredibly complete program. And by that I mean it looks like it's made to get you totally fit and in shape. This is what I don't like about my own weight training...the stronger I get and the more I eat to bulk, the less I actually feel fit and athletic. I was half my size back in my swimming/running days and yet I was at the peak of my athletic performance.

And believe me, I know exactly what kind of hell those rounds you're talking about. Both my running teams used to do something similar--we had to complete 5x1km circuits with no downtime and exercises like push ups/frog lunges/crunches/jumping jacks/etc. roughly every 200m. Sometimes we had to go up stairs of a building too or sprint a certain length. Doing those circuits is the only hell on earth I'll experience...you're just dragging your feet and trying to lick your own sweat because your mouth is so dry by the end of it.

Funny story, one time I was so thirsty (our coaches allowed no water breaks at any point) that i got down to drink brown water from a hole in the road like a dog. I kept passing a part in the circuit by a house that smelled of delicious apple juice, and it was fucking with my brain. Needless to say the brown water tasted repulsive.

I think I would probably give up my muscle and strength oriented routine immediately if something like crossfire was in town. I can definitely see why you and so many others like it.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:07 am 

Poisonfume wrote:
...the stronger I get and the more I eat to bulk, the less I actually feel fit and athletic. I was half my size
back in my swimming/running days and yet I was at the peak of my athletic performance...

yeah, I think I know what you mean. Sure I did gain quite some mass due to weights and eating much but with each lbs added
I felt not really fit anymore. And as I didn't constantly ate the most healthiest stuff my belly bulked up, too. Now my arms are
still what I would call my weak spot (dunno know - all other muscle groups gain better than my arms with my legs and lats
being the fastest growing) but I finally stopped the "bulking process" - I didn't felt comfortable anymore.

Now I mainly just eat when I'm hungry and not with some kind of time table which kind of told me to eat xyz amount of xyz
every three hours. The only thing I kept is a bowl of curd shortly before going to bed as a nightly protein dose. Together with
the CrossFit / weight combined training I totally feel more fit and "tonded/tensed".

So, my next step in feeling more fit will surely be quit smoking cigarettes but honestly I kind of am strongly addicted, unfortunately
and had tried numerous times to no success :ugh: But I really feel how this hinders me in terms of endurance during the
CrossFit workouts.

But I strayed away from your post... So, yes - it's very complete all in all. you won't get the strongest, the biggest or the fastest but
you gain a bit of everything which is totally my cup of tea. A key term here is "specializing with not specializing", so to say.
And those circuits you described are basically the same we do from it's basic purpose.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:07 am 

Unlike you 2 ladies I accept the price of losing endurance in favor of gaining size and most importantly brute strength. I can no longer run like I did when I was 17 but I'm stronger than damn near anyone at my gym now, plus my body looks better than ever!

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:22 am 

To each his own. I am all about aesthetics but I do value actual fitness because I like to feel healthy.
I do wonder what kind of gym you go to if you're stronger than everyone at 20. Maybe one full of ladies like us?

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:06 am 

I see most of the discussion here is about bodybuilding / weight lifting. Is anyone else here a runner? I started trying to get out and run more lately. I've gotten myself up to five miles a run now and am having trouble getting past that barrier. Any suggestions?

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:53 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
I see most of the discussion here is about bodybuilding / weight lifting. Is anyone else here a runner? I started trying to get out and run more lately. I've gotten myself up to five miles a run now and am having trouble getting past that barrier. Any suggestions?

Well, I can only speak from my own experience - how stupid does that sound? - but for me I just kept at it: I run every other day. Started out with about three or four kilometers in 2010 (had me dead) and am now at twelve to twenty kilometers a day. To tell you what to try, one would need some details: How often do you run? Where do you run? How long does five miles take i.e. what's your average speed? Do you run a lot of hills? Do you keep a steady pace or do you accelerate and decelerate according to whim/how you are feeling? When do you run? How long after a meal? What kind of a meal?

Personally I just took things up a notch in increments. At first it was difficult physically, but nowadays it's more about finding the time for doing those really long runs and finding the inclination to do them with everything else that there is to do and get done. I just kept running that nice route until I realized I'm grinding the same stuff so I'd add an additional route to that one.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:36 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:

Scroll up a little and you'll see I talk a bit about my running days ;)
There's isn't really a definitive answer to your question beyond just pushing yourself to run more. I would recommend above all finding a workout buddy and making sure you're running through an interesting environment. I found this surprisingly helpful for running distances above 10 miles on a non-race pace. You just zone out and observe your surroundings (creating new routes every time to change things up), and with a buddy to run with you'll both be motivated to run longer and have company to counteract the loneliness and monotony.

Remember, it's the mind that stops you from running those extra miles, not the body.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:29 pm 

I've been doing my best to push further and further. I was actually a sprinter and jumper in high school and college, so distance running is a relatively new thing for me. To clarify some questions from Mac:
(1) I do my best to run at least every other day, with my average now between 3.5 and 5 miles.
(2) I leave my house and run which ever way I feel like going that day, I never really plan it out because approximately 16 city blocks equals one mile.
(3) The five miles usually takes me around 40 minutes (roughly 8-9 minute mile pace, if I'm not pushing it)
(4) I live in the heart of the Allegheny Mountains, so no matter which way I run will involve hills (most of the hills are either steady climbs in one direction or extremely steep in the other direction)
(5) I keep a relatively steady pace until I'm on the way home, which is when I try to pick up some speed to finish stronger
(6) Typically I run after work, once my wife gets home (usually after dinner) late afternoon to early evening
(7) I run about one to two hours after dinner, unless I wait to eat until I get back and if it's a run day I stick with pastas, tuna or a salad

As for adding a little more to the same route, that's what I've been doing so far. It seems to work, except for my current stagnation.

Poisonfume, if I had someone to run with, I would gladly do it, but all of my friend's that actually run are on a different work shift than me... so it's solo for now!

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:36 pm 

Pity. It helps, it really does. I admire your persistence and dedication; Without the buddy or team to run with I don't think I'd have had the power to run those endless miles. Not in a million years. Keep it up!

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:47 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
Pity. It helps, it really does. I admire your persistence and dedication; Without the buddy or team to run with I don't think I'd have had the power to run those endless miles. Not in a million years. Keep it up!

Thanks a ton for that! I think my main driving focus is my impending mid-life crisis, being that I turn thirty soon. I got to thinking, I'd like to be around when my son gets older, so I need to start taking care of myself now.

I'm going to keep looking for someone to run with though.

Filosofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:57 pm 

XcKyle93 wrote:

Any other runners here?

I ran this morning, actually. Did a 10k last week and have a 5k coming up next Saturday. I'm not in very good shape right now, but I'm getting back into the swing of things.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 58  Next