Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:21 am 

Fuck their heads. I don't care for them one bit.

Do all you can now! if you join the corporate world and can't stick with a band that'll be a shame.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:44 am 

Sweet, pm me your address and I'll send you mine.

sold my first physical album this morning. It's a great feeling!

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:11 am 

I'm playing a gig tonight with Enneract, for which we're totally under-rehearsed. And I'm putting the gig on. And there's seven bands. So that's a bit stressful...

And apparently 20+ Irish guys on a stag night might be showing up. I genuinely don't know if this is a good thing or not.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:12 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
Sweet, pm me your address and I'll send you mine.

sold my first physical album this morning. It's a great feeling!

Told you it's more satisfying selling a physical cd than just giving mp3s away. hell anyone can get mp3s to your album for free. i know my stuff is always on some blog the day after i release it.

PM sent

and no 20 drunk irishmen is not a good thing.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:29 pm 

Yeah it's definitely a feeling of accomplishment. I bought some boards so I can make an enclosure for these two head chassis I have, but now I'm feeling kinda lazy and want to just stay inside. Ah well, might as well get it over with. Maybe I can think of something to paint for a black metal album cover while I'm at it.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:48 pm 

This thread makes me wish I had better gear than a Bronze Series Warlock and a 2x12 Crate :( For recording I think I'm going to plug my RP350 directly into my computer. Still can't get ahold of the correct adapter though... I too am hoping somebody will make a logo for me, I drew my bands logo awhile back but it seems like I can't draw anything I like anymore. I was going for something along the lines of Leviathan. I will provide you with.... eternal gratitude. And a copy of the disc when it is eventually done. Got another bar show tonight, we're the technical death metal band among a couple hardcore/deathcore bands and a few randoms.

Also linking a video of our last live performance since it's the best quality video anyone's ever taken of us and I think it came out pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR8GJpIbXEc&feature=share&list=UU9zBCllo26j6pnXEIMSVRsg

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:23 pm 

You can make some decent recordings with your gear. Just get a mic and a small stand and an audio interface, and work on correct mic placement. Place it in front of your speaker, record and bit and see how it sounds, move it 1/4", try again, repeat. Look up ola englund on youtube, he can get a good sound out of anything - because he knows exactly where to mic stuff to get the best sound. And look at it this way - chuck schuldiner honestly didn't have a great guitar tone for half of Death's albums (I know, it's blasphemy to say so) but all their stuff is fantastic.

Went to my first true metal record store today, black mess records. Having grown up in the bible belt, I've never been to one before. It was classic, with old metal posters on the wall and black metal playing on a cheap old stereo. I gave them 8 copies of my CDs so they can sell or pass them out and chatted with them for like an hour. It was great, really enjoyed it. They're big supporters of underground extreme metal and sell a lot of cassettes and vinyl too, so whenever I finish my black metal project I think i'll release it on cassette as well as CD.

As for now, I'm sitting down and trying to sketch something for a black metal album cover while my corned beef cooks.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:48 pm 

Well, I sketched out a kinda burning demon head thingy, and went over it with watercolor. Not very happy with the result, but then again, it's my first attempt. I think I should stick with pencil sketching, then just scan it in and fix it/darken it. I'm better with pencils; I suck with color.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:10 pm 

Also, I just found the best website ever:
http://bargainbinblasphemy.tumblr.com/

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:01 pm 

Black Mess rules pretty hard. Do you live in Baltimore or something? I thought you lived in the midwest for some reason.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:12 pm 

You have never heard of Bargainbinblasphemy? god its so great. I can't remember which if I came across it and I showed my wife or my wife showed it to me, but it was right around the first 4 covers were put up. Love that site and actually tried bidding on some of them when he throws them up on ebay. it's brilliant.

You can do good with a crate 212 possibly. and bronze era warlocks. it really depends on what and playing around with shit. Like for my grind pv band Dragunov, I use a bronze warlock and run it through an Ampeg SS150 into a 1956 Kustom 215. It sound so fucking beastily just like that.

current VomitWolves is being tracked with a Crate G600 LX. it's a fucking piece of shit, but you would be amazed at how well it sounds recorded. cause even live it sounds like fucking shit.

anyway had an outdoor art fest yesterday so I haul some of my shit down there and sold some and made a nice chunk of change. basically enough to cover my Kustom 215 and Peavey head I got the other week and this new Ampeg VH 140 I came across the night before. I only happen to see this one in related items whoever listed it didn't know the difference between a 'V' and a 'W' and had it listed as an Ampeg WH, even though his pictures clearly show it's a VH. so I scooped it up for 190. No one bid since no one could find it otherwise it would've went for 4-5 easy.

also that morning recorded a VomitWolves song that I wrote the day before. So now that's 3 for the album and the wife has approved of all of them. probably need around another 7-9 to round it out. for a proper full length.

jammed today with Dragunov and got 3 more songs recorded for upcoming split with KP.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:00 pm 

Just picked up a Sunn Concert Bass

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:27 am 

Anyone ever track an album live before? I'm doing that in a few weeks with the new Blacksoul album and I wanted to hear from those who have done that what it's like. It doesn't seem too much different from just jamming in a room, only with clicks in our ears and into a DAW.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:13 am 

Never an entire album, but EP's and stuff lots of times... Why would you all have a click in your ear? wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a live recording?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:26 am 

done so a bit but nothing released cause it just wasn't all that great overall. I don't care much for those things anyway.

dokker I have a logo for you I just have to scan it. give me a second.

Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:57 am 

doktersatan wrote:
Never an entire album, but EP's and stuff lots of times... Why would you all have a click in your ear? wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a live recording?

Agreed. Also, I wouldn't recommend doing it unless the band is really, really tight. Not much point in energy and live-feel if there are a lot of mistakes.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:02 am 

I think live stuff works for bands that have that sloppy sorta sound to them. Like unhinged noise rock and shit.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:43 pm 

Well, for the drunken live aesthetic like Venom and such, sure. However, famous bands which I know have done semi-live recordings(Kreator, Iron Maiden) are unbelievably tight and they have to be, because their music doesn't allow for any silly errors. I guess it all depends on the type of music too. The new Venom stuff is executed much more professionally but it's also boring as shit hahaha.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:22 pm 

If I had a choice, I'd rather listen to a live studio recording (not live concert recording). One of my fav albums by Witt was recorded live in studio and they're hella tight.

I like recording that way too, when I've played with other people. We did a few takes of each song, though.

I don't think using a click would defeat the purpose of a live recording. Don't some bands use a click while playing live?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:47 pm 

Yea some do. And well I don't care about live studio recordings. it could sound better. only way I care about them if it's improv jazz. That's pretty much a one time deal in capturing that sound.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:08 pm 

CloggedUrethra wrote:
I don't think using a click would defeat the purpose of a live recording. Don't some bands use a click while playing live?

Yup. In both Blacksoul and Sorrowseed we use click tracks live, mostly because we don't have a live keys player for either band.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:36 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Black Mess rules pretty hard. Do you live in Baltimore or something? I thought you lived in the midwest for some reason.

I'm stationed at Fort Meade, just south of Baltimore. And yeah, that store is awesome!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:40 pm 

SLK, that was my first time ever seeing bargain bin blasphemy. And I came across it by total accident. It's definitely become one of my favorite sites though.

Since offering physical copies of my albums for sale, I've sold more physical than digital. I never thought that would happen. Only downside is a guy from Russia just ordered some, and kunaki doesn't ship there, so I have to have some sent to me, then personally ship them out. But no biggie, just glad people want my music. Looks like Licrest is doing really well so far. Maybe I'll go somewhere with this project. Hopefully my other bands will do as well. Hell, I could even break even with my next OSR album if I keep this up! Hahahaha

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:59 pm 

Very awesome. Glad it's going very well!

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:09 pm 

Show off... nah just kidding. Where do you advertise your albums?

I checked out that kunaki site and it sounds amazing. So, if someone buys a cd from you, you can go to the kunaki site and have a copy made and mailed for 5-ish dollars? Then they'll send you a check for the difference if you sold the cd for more than that? If that's true, then there's really no reason not to include physical copies of your album.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:28 pm 

Well for this album I put a post in the promotions forum, and did the same thing on ultimate guitar and ultimate metal forums. I also found a big doom metal website, like doom-metal.com or something similar and joined there and they made a post about it. Also since the amp I used was one I made, the firefly, I went to the forum (www.ax84.com) where that amp schematic originated and put a post there, saying that amp was used for an album. I've also sent off a couple copies to sites for review, hopefully something will come from that.

And here's how it works: Someone orders a physical copy off bandcamp, I get the money and their address from there and go to kunaki and order one copy of the album and ship it to them. Super easy.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:00 pm 

Well. I've been working on my vocals for this Coma Void album and it's just not working out. Maybe with shitloads of practice I could get them where I would like them to be but for now the only thing I can do half-decently are like, those wailing Austere-like vocals. I also don't really have the sustain/lung capacity to deliver the lines in the way I'm imagining. I might have to enlist a session vocalist. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm after someone who can do somewhat high-pitched drawn-out raspy shrieks.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:56 am 

I think there are a few users here that can, you might want to ask in the section asking for musicians. if I could do it I would. but I can't really get ultra high pitched.

Clogged, I think that's how the site works if you sell them directly off kunaki, like how infinite said.. I do the same. I usually have a # shipped to me so I'll ship them out myself and some I utilize kunaki to ship to the person directly. So far the only issue I've had was a trade I did with somefella, and his copies were all fucked up... as in one was beach soundscapes, one was a spoken work hypnosis ,and one was minimalistic piano pieces. I just emailed kunaki and they immediately corrected it by shipping out my order to him directly again at no charge to me.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:38 am 

It's super simple with kunaki. Just type in their address and click order and Kunaki makes a copy and ships it to them, and it's cheap. Can't really go wrong with them.

Gonna try to finish some black metal today. I may redo my logo for my black metal band, also. I like it but I realize for a black metal band it needs to be pointier and spikier and messier and more black metally.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:40 am 

Yeah that's awesome. My main beef with making physical copies is how you have to buy a large order at once. Will definitely use kunaki from now on. Also going to order a tascam us-1800 and download Reaper. Learned a lot from this forum, thanks. :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:14 pm 

Glad we could help! and yea that's the main reason I used kunaki cause I don't like having to get a huge amount at once. I rather get like 10 copies and then worry about it as I go.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:13 pm 

Received my Schecter Omen 6 today, very nice, feels decent quality for its price. This is probably the first time I've bought a guitar and been immediately unimpressed by the pickups though. Truth be told, I've never bothered to change the stock pickups on any of my guitars before.

Where to start?

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:49 pm 

I think from now on I'm only going to order about 5 physical copies for myself and some friends or whatnot, and all the rest of the physical sales I'll just do one at a time through kunaki. It's a lot easier that way, and I think it even saves a bit on shipping.

I've heard a lot of good things about schecters. What kind of sound are you looking for with your guitar? I'm a big fan of a seymour duncan JB. Not a huge high output pickup but it has a nice solid thick tone. The dragonfire screamers are a great budget pickup.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:40 pm 

Are those dragonfire what you told me to throw in that dorado? Oh I guess I could just scroll back some pages.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:43 pm 

Schecter stock pickups generally suck hard. I use a Diamond Series Schecter(discontinued) but the bridge pickup is swapped out for an Invader, and now it fucking screams.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:39 pm 

So this is what I should pick up:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragonfire-Guit ... 27d2a49afa

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:44 am 

For $33 shipped for a set, I might get a pair of those pickups. How do they compare to say, stock BC Rich bronze pickups?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:50 am 

Heard a sample and wasn't super impressed. However, samples only tell you so much, and I guess its cheap enough to just give it a shot.

Generally I feel that the workmanship/quality of the instrument has to be on a certain level in order for a pickup change to be of much difference. I used to own an entry-level Ibanez with shitty INF pickups. Swapping those out for an 81/85 EMG set barely made much of a difference. Small, small changes in response and tonality and sustain but that's it. And I mean really small. It still didn't make the guitar good enough to do high quality recordings, or to even make a moderate gain amp scream, despite EMGs being supposedly hot pickups.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:44 am 

I want a new pair for my dorado cause the stock one is practically shot. So I kinda just need it anyway and I don't mind dropping some little change on that.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:39 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Yep, I'm running a screamer in my main flying v. It's got a nice high output and a thick chunky tone. Hell, even if they suck, they'll be better than the P90s that are in your Dorado.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 185  Next