Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:05 pm 

That's good that they have helped you further expand upon your tastes since then. I've always had a varied taste because of both listening to death metal and grunge at the same time and then when I started playing in a screamo band that started out as more as aggresive indie rock I listened to tons of that and still do. I'm basically interested in interesting compositions and what someone does with the guitar no matter what style. Certainly some I enjoy vastly more but that's with anyone with any tastes in anything.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:22 pm 

Alice In Chains is friggin' awesome and I always thought they were a straight up heavy metal band rather than a grunge band. They just happen to keep getting lumped together because they kept touring with grunge bands in the past.

As for aggressive indie rock, there's this melodic punk band called Heartsounds I'm really digging. Formed by members of Light This City(mediocre melodeath/core band), it's very Bad Religion influence in the sense that the riffing isn't just simple punk strumming and muted picking, there's a lot of interesting things going on with the dual guitars and dual vocals.

On topic, Oshiego's 3rd album looks to surpass even Great Architect Of Nothing, which to me is definitely our best so far and has been getting the best reviews too. Very excited about getting to the recording stage, I just learned a new song from my vocalist/songwriter(with the atrophying left hand hehe) and it is sick and doomy as fuck while still keeping the death/thrash groove, loving the shit out of it and can't wait to record it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:25 pm 

I am so fucking bored right now. I should probably pick up a guitar and try to write something, or try to finish my Devourer album. I'm going through the breaking wheel stuff and making a few tweaks here and there and trying to polish it up a bit. It's sounding great. I think I'm going to make a musical to do list, so when I take a week of vacation soon, I'll have a set list of shit to get done. That'll be better than just sitting here wondering what to do next I guess.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:28 pm 

somefella wrote:
Alice In Chains is friggin' awesome and I always thought they were a straight up heavy metal band rather than a grunge band. They just happen to keep getting lumped together because they kept touring with grunge bands in the past.

As for aggressive indie rock, there's this melodic punk band called Heartsounds I'm really digging. Formed by members of Light This City(mediocre melodeath/core band), it's very Bad Religion influence in the sense that the riffing isn't just simple punk strumming and muted picking, there's a lot of interesting things going on with the dual guitars and dual vocals.

On topic, Oshiego's 3rd album looks to surpass even Great Architect Of Nothing, which to me is definitely our best so far and has been getting the best reviews too. Very excited about getting to the recording stage, I just learned a new song from my vocalist/songwriter(with the atrophying left hand hehe) and it is sick and doomy as fuck while still keeping the death/thrash groove, loving the shit out of it and can't wait to record it.

AiC has been one of my favorite bands for almost 20 years now. If you haven't heard their most recent 2 albums I highly recommend them, especially black gives way to blue, which is a fucking phenomenal album.

I never really got into indie rock and punk and stuff like that. I think it could be something fun to do, something simple to play in bars and clubs and whatnot. I don't think I could ever write a song like that though. My style of playing basically revolves around 16th notes on an open low string haha.

Oh, and I just got a copy of your last album, it's a good one and I enjoyed it.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:50 pm 

Oh I listen to that album quite a bit, it's incredible. I get annoyed whenever I mentioned AiC and someone goes "oh, that grunge band?" Yeah fuck you too -_-

Same here. I guess I'll have to learn some full songs from the genre, that's always a shortcut to getting the style down somewhat.

Much appreciated, likewise brother :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:58 pm 

I consider Alice in Chains pretty much grunge with plenty of heavy metal influences. more than a grunge band but yea still a grunge band.

I'm guaranteed I'll hate that band somefella, any current indie rock I fucking hate I haven't liked any since probably 04-05 at the latest everything past that to me sounds like the same retread and watered down bullshit. Everything that's good came out before then. So I'm even more judgemental and hateful towards that cause I feel it has zero soul now. And I hate light this city and I hate bad religion.

punk is more fun playing live than anything. there is something about playing 6 chords shared between 2-3 riffs in a song under a minute. and like I said to a bunch of old friends who listen to punk... if you made money from playing punk music then it wasn't punk and they weren't punk. it's that simple. so anything that was released on anything that was even remotely known... I hate.

and yea infinite you should, it's a great tool and I know I've been doing it for 2 years now in preparation of my vacation. just writing down everything I haven't complete or have put work in just to finish it be it recording some vocals, writing some songs to finish an album, or just completing artwork to finally release it. Plus I enjoy making lists and then marking things off of them.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:41 pm 

Well for artwork for eternal oblivion I just decided to do like half of the other underground metal bands and rip off zdzislaw beksinski. He's dead and polish and everyone else does it so I figure I'm safe, haha. One of these days I really need to try to find some form of art I can do. Maybe I can do weird digital stuff or something. If I can figure out some form of artsy shit that I can do, it'll help streamline future releases, by at least making that aspect easier. Definitely going to make a to do list today. And do laundry.

I think I would like writing something lighter, maybe shoegazey or something, I dunno. And while my voice for clean singing is just okay, I really don't think I could write lyrics for something like indie rock. Boy that would be an interesting songwriting challenge: Indie rock. I should try something like that. Something commercial that people may actually buy. And then I'll have a hidden track that's nothing but low E chugs and blast beats, because fuck indie rock.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:45 pm 

SLK: Actually, Billy Corgan's guitar playing actually influenced my guitar playing during the period 1998-2000 when I was writing and playing in Ruins of Time. Smashing Pumpkins was one of the bands I enjoyed back then.

Dimaension_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:11 pm 

I finally completed and uploaded my Dimaension X Tribute To Frank Zappa (and a few more). This is a collection of Zappa cover tunes I've done over the years. It was time to get them all in one place. I hope I do the Maestro Zappa justice.

I also include a tribute the the Buffy/Angel TV Theme songs, Focus, and Beethoven.

My two personal favorites are Ink Ero Des and Orange County Lumbertruck Runs Over a Weasel. Ink Ero Des (Zappa's Inca Roads) is almost sad sounding, and OC Lumber truck has such a great, downright "uplifting" melody. Yeah, that's pretty weird for me, but there, I said it.

Here's to you, Frank. You are missed.

http://archive.org/details/mentaltossflycoon/

http://dimaensionxblog.blogspot.com/

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:24 pm 

infinitenexus, your secret track would be funny if it hasn't been done already on I think at least 6 different albums and bands all being funny as well. So you would be just like all the soulless shitty indie bands.

Porman, that's pretty interesting. I have also have heard he was in some sort of heavier band at some point but I'm assuming it's one that never recorded anything.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:38 pm 

Just checked the local craigslist out of curiosity. Looks like it wouldn't be too hard to join a band or find band members to jam with, and once I get better at drums there's a few I could join. That's something I may pursue in the future.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:20 pm 

I decided that for Saloth I'm not going to do it in dropped F# anymore, I'm tuning up half a step to dropped G. It's still obscenely low and heavy, but it's clearer and the string tension is better and it stays in tune better.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:25 pm 

pussy.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:42 pm 

Hahahaha. Yeah F# is fun for a bit but it's just kinda useless. G sounds basically the same but it's a lot more usable. Hmm, I should try to find some local musicians and form an actual band out of Saloth.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:44 pm 

Just go on and record everything release the ep and then try to find some local musicians that are interesting in playing that style.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:47 pm 

That's what I'm planning on attempting. I haven't been in an actual band since high school, it'll be crazy playing with other musicians again. I figure with songs already written and a style already established, that should make things easy also. Just gotta rehearse a bunch, and I'll have to get my voice used to doing death growls for longer periods of time.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:51 pm 

It might make it easier but it also could make you a control freak whenever someone isn't playing something exactly how you planned. That's why I never plan on bringing anyone in on established works. I rather just start something brand new with someone that way they can interpret material in their own way and I won't loose my shit over it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:02 pm 

Yeah, I can see myself getting that way. Of course I would continue writing music for Saloth, and some input from another source would be nice and helpful. Hopefully I can finish up the EP over the holiday time period, and once the new year starts I guess I'll start looking for musicians around here.

Wait, isn't subrick in Maryland also? DRUM FOR ME

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:04 pm 

Shit if i know. I don't really pay attention to where most people are. Ain't like I'm going to go visit them.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:23 pm 

I should check out some local shows, that would probably be a decent place to find some other musicians. And I guess craigslist of course.vgvgvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvb. My cat took a break from standing on my balls to type that last little bit. Thanks guy.

Writing up my to do list, gonna try to get organized up in here. Hopefully I'll be able to accomplish some more that way.

Also submitted my OSDM release to two nearby record labels, just because.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:16 pm 

Subrick lives in Massachusetts I believe.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:26 pm 

Connecticut actually. Just send me some guitar tracks and I'll put something on them.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Last edited by Subrick on Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:28 pm 

that's not what he wants. he want's an actual live band. he is actually currently drumming for the band he was going to ask you to join and play in.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:36 pm 

I would gladly play with you if I lived in Maryland :/

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:39 pm 

Same here. Always good to play with more people.

Also, my offer of "send me guitar tracks and I'll do something with them drum wise" still stands for anybody here that wishes to take me up on it.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:39 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Shit if i know. I don't really pay attention to where most people are. Ain't like I'm going to go visit them.

But... but... we were gonna bake you a cake and everything!

Yeah infinitenexus go to some local shows, meet people in the scene. Aside from finding a drummer, you mentioned earlier you weren't sure about getting your stuff out there and best way to go further with your music is to connect with people. You probably know that, but its worth repeating. Hell, even people who make shitty music can get somewhere by being involved in a scene and having connections.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:41 pm 

what kinda cake?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:52 pm 

A cherpumple. It's a triple deckered cake with a different pie baked into each layer.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:03 am 

I take it you're not keen on following Under_Starmere's advice, then?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:09 am 

I never said I would eat that thing. Me at 15 would have been all over that, though.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:06 am 

Who was it I was thinking of? One of you bastards lives in Maryland.

Anyways, yeah I'm going to try to go to some local shows and stuff, see if I can find a drummer and a bassist. And CorpseFister, you're exactly right. Getting my music out there would be a lot easier if I weren't such a god damn hermit haha.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:28 pm 

I can attest to that. I don't go to shows or talk to anyone around Toronto and 14 years later people still don't know/care about my stuff. :)

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:46 pm 

How do you guys write riffs? I found a technique that is not very kvlt or trve; just type basically random shit into guitar pro and try to make sense of it. lol

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:05 pm 

I've done that before. It can be fun at times. Usually I just pick up a guitar and start playing away and stuff comes out.

Finally had the house to myself and the neighbors weren't home, so I played drums for a bit. I also recorded 6 different drum tracks of just me playing and making up a drum beat as I went along, and then I went back and wrote grind songs over them. I think I'm going to write some goregrind just for fun. And I'm slowly but surely getting better at blast beats. Kinda.

FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:10 pm 

Album: DONE!! Should be something online in the next few days..

Quote:
How do you guys write riffs? I found a technique that is not very kvlt or trve; just type basically random shit into guitar pro and try to make sense of it. lol

I just sit down with a beer, a guitar, and a notebook and play random stuff until I hear something I like, play with it a while, then write it down.
I come back later every once in a wihle to play with them, modify some more, and eventually they end up in songs.

When I get writers block and nothing has sounded good in a while I learn some covers, that usually gives me ideas.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:16 pm 

question for other drummers: When doing lots of blasts and/or double kicks, does the kick pedal beater rebound back and hit you on top of your foot? My right one does that, and my foot's sore now.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:22 pm 

How far back do you have the beater set and how tight is the pedal spring? Sounds like you have it too tight and too far back.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:36 pm 

You mean like the beater length? I have it set so it hits just above the center of the drum, not too far. My spring tension is a bit tight though. I also do heel-up when I'm doing double bass, so the top of my foot is kinda more vulnerable that way.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:04 pm 

Subrick wrote:
A cherpumple. It's a triple deckered cake with a different pie baked into each layer.

Literally if that's the cake waiting for me I'd never show up cause that looks like a godawful fucking mess and for the most part I don't like pie, esp any fruit based pie.

Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:

I pick up the guitar and start playing. if I have a particular style in mind that's how I direct my playing style. what sounds good immediately I play it enough to remember it and then see what the next gut feeling is to go next and play them together and keep going like that till I have an entire song. I am not one of those guitarists that has a notebook filled with riffs or part songs. I'm an all or nothing guy. so currently I have nothing to work with but ideas on what I want to do when I get back in town. Upon my return and pick up a guitar that's when I write and it's always an entire song. depending on which band I'm writing for I'll write it all out. wait a day play it all back again and if I want modify it but 90% of the time what I wrote is what is going to be played.

Infinite, you need to adust your pedals both in tension and the length of the beater and where you have it set from the head when it's at rest. I roughly go about 4-5.5 inches away from where the beater hits the head. your beater should never be hitting your foot at any point. if it is you are set up wrong. it's like if you are lifting weights and afterwards your back is killing you cause when you do deadlifts you twist and jerk as much as possible. it's just incorrect and a failure.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:14 pm 

Yeah one of these days I'll have to learn how to set everything up properly. I need a real throne also, instead of sitting on the edge of my computer chair, haha. At least it's at the right height. After your description it does look like my beaters are back kinda far. Probably about 6 inches or so. That's probably what's doing it, and also why it's so much effort to play faster kicks.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115 ... 185  Next