Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:38 pm 

What I'm looking for right now is prog metal heavily influenced by symphonic prog rock (a la Yes). I can only find a couple bands - Marge Litch and Helreidh (their debut) being the main ones that come to mind. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, stuff in the vein of Psycho Symphony and Garden Wall would be much appreciated too, as would Images & Words-esque bands like Hydrotoxin and Agora. Segundo Pasado is a personal favorite album and I'd like something with a similar dreamy vibe.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:38 pm 

Dan Swano's solo album.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:54 pm 

Yeah, good shout. I definitely need to listen to that.

Still waiting for recs in the vein of I&W, Hydrotoxin and Agora. Looking for stuff with a similarly dreamy (but still technical) feeling.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:23 am 

TellTaleHard's Spiral Stairs maybe, there's an Annon Vin connection and it's a bit jazzier and heavier than most I&W clones (some Cynic riffing too actually), but I think there are moments that come close to it.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:45 pm 

aw shit thanks bae

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:24 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
TellTaleHard's Spiral Stairs maybe, there's an Annon Vin connection and it's a bit jazzier and heavier than most I&W clones (some Cynic riffing too actually), but I think there are moments that come close to it.

Where can I find this? There's nowhere to buy it and nowhere to download it.

Also I'm looking for progressive metal/jazz fusion in the vein of Xaal, Dream Theater's I&W-era improv jams ("Bombay Vindaloo", "Moon Bubbles", etc.), Sean Malone's solo album, Dark Hall, etc. Excellent bass playing is mandatory. Bonus points for unusual (for metal) instruments like horns, woodwinds, fretless bass, hand percussion, etc. No or minimal vocals.

Quote:
...Agora. Segundo Pasado is a personal favorite album...

I'm three minutes in and this is heads and shoulders above any other Dream Theater-alike I've ever heard. Holy shit. The singer is actually good! The guitars aren't bloated and lazy and chuggy! The keyboards do interesting things! They get it! People listen to Shadow Balladry and Chuggen Plas over this?

Also this confirms my opinion that singers whose English isn't fluent should sing in a language they are comfortable in. The singer sings in Spanish and sounds excellent, but most Latin American metal singers sing in English and sound incredibly awkward doing so. I think I noticed this a few years ago with Saratoga as well--their singer did some really cool Rob Halford-ish stuff in Spanish, but when he tried doing an actual Judas Priest song ("Painkiller"), he choked on the English and sounded ridiculous.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:57 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Also I'm looking for progressive metal/jazz fusion in the vein of Xaal, Dream Theater's I&W-era improv jams ("Bombay Vindaloo", "Moon Bubbles", etc.), Sean Malone's solo album, Dark Hall, etc. Excellent bass playing is mandatory. Bonus points for unusual (for metal) instruments like horns, woodwinds, fretless bass, hand percussion, etc. No or minimal vocals.

It's only one track, but being that it's probably my favorite instrumental track ever I have to mention Eau Rouge by Light Bringer. And it certainly has excellent bass playing.

Other suggestions:

Fea Jur, the second album of Lye By Mistake, is entirely instrumental, partly improvised, jazz metal. Awesome shit.
Kopecky's debut. Very cool groovy, jammy prog with sitar on a couple tracks.
Tenebris - Alpha Orionis is basically zeuhl meets prog/fusion death. Being that there's zeuhl influences, there are some vocals, of course, but they are mostly ritualistic chanting.
The Fractured Dimension play what's basically an avant-classical take on fusion/metal.
The second half of Buzzard's album Churp!!! is full-on fusion.
It might be worth looking into Amogh Symphony. Specifically Vectorscan. Weird band, but cool influence of SE Asian folk music along with the jazz.
Serious Beak are mathy but quite dynamic, as opposed to something like Behold The Arctopus.
Unit Wail aren't metal but neither are Xaal... and Unit Wail are cool either way, you'll like em. Man, I might as well recommend Kenso too since they're one of my favorite fusion/prog bands.
Also check out Whoopgnash.

Also, glad you like that Agora album. Their other stuff isn't as good if I recall, but they're still worthwhile.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:35 am 

What prog metal bands/albums would you suggest for someone who, pardon me, isn't exactly fond of this particular genre? I can listen to every type of metal ever conceived (70s metal to fuckin' goregrind, you name it) but prog metal...ugh, I just can't for some reason.

Something with grittier vocals (hate that alternative/soft rock crooning stuff), actual riffs, energetic drums & memorable songwriting rather than just overlong self-indulgences (funny I should say that because wanky tech death is totally my shit). You know, moar mehchul than straight dad rock sounding stuff. I'm willing to expand my horizons, any help will be greatly appreciated and apologies if my unbridled hatred got to anyone :p It's all in good fun.

Also can anybody clarify what ^zeuhl is? I've heard that term before but as you can see I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to prog. Thanks in advance.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:54 am 

IamDBR wrote:
What prog metal bands/albums would you suggest for someone who, pardon me, isn't exactly fond of this particular genre? I can listen to every type of metal ever conceived (70s metal to fuckin' goregrind, you name it) but prog metal...ugh, I just can't for some reason.

Something with grittier vocals (hate that alternative/soft rock crooning stuff), actual riffs, energetic drums & memorable songwriting rather than just overlong self-indulgences (funny I should say that because wanky tech death is totally my shit). You know, moar mehchul than straight dad rock sounding stuff. I'm willing to expand my horizons, any help will be greatly appreciated and apologies if my unbridled hatred got to anyone :p It's all in good fun.

Also can anybody clarify what ^zeuhl is? I've heard that term before but as you can see I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to prog. Thanks in advance.

Prog metal is generally more about sophistication or complexity, and a lot of it tends to be smooth, almost jazz-like. Most of the heavier or grittier stuff is just "progressive" death (Edge of Sanity, Gojira) or groove (Heretic - Soul Possessed) or thrash (Mekong Delta) or something else, and I think you're already familiar with that. But I think I know what you mean. Maybe something like this (formerly Prometheus) ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfZFcD5Wyoc

Last edited by Smitty on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:46 am 

That video is unavailable, can you give me a proper name so I can search it up?

I tried getting into jazz/prog rock but that "sophistication" thing turns me off. Plus it's kind of like the antithesis of conventional metal, viewing from an attitude standpoint, so I just accepted it's not my thing and pretty much moved on. It is just way too clean & safe sounding for me to enjoy. Don't mind complexity & technicality in my music though. Anyway, thanks for the reply & good listens.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:29 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
That video is unavailable, can you give me a proper name so I can search it up?

That's strange. I can see it just fine. I changed it to a direct URL so you can see the address. Anyway, the band is Dhark and the song is There Is Some Light There. I mentioned it because it's heavier than normal progressive.

I'm not a huge "pure" progressive fan for the same reason you aren't ... it tends to be far too weak for me. And some progressive is just plain weird. I prefer something to bludgeon me. There hasn't been an album made that's close to being as heavy as I want. But every once in a while an album comes along that is just so well done it doesn't matter to me that it's "soft". When that happens with progressive it's usually because the performance and songwriting is stunningly "professional". It immediately stands out from the pack. So well put together that it sends chills through me. The latest "soft" progressive that's done that is Oceans of Slumber's Winter ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxzqnetYSbk

Variety is a good thing. It gives you more things to enjoy.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:23 pm 

IamDBR wrote:

At some point, you just gotta embrace the cheese and keyboards. When pure prog metal tries to be heavy, or use harsh vocals, it tends to sound really wimpy and lame. Prog is about melodies and narrative. But, if you want prog that's a bit less sluggish and more energetic, the best places to look are at the early prog or prog/heavy bands (Slauter Xstroyes, Spectral Incursion, Adramelch, Juggernaut, Watchtower, Taramis, Cauldron Born), tech/prog thrash, and some prog/power bands (Angra, Auvernia, Viathyn, Galneryus, Marge Litch/Alhambra) A lot of prog/power is super turgid though, so beware.

Also check out:
Psycho Symphony
Garden Wall
Confessor
Civil Defiance
Unexpect
Ansur

IamDBR wrote:

Zeuhl is a style started by the French band Magma. It's groove-based and known for very prominent basslines, and generally has some element of jazz fusion improv going on around the basic groove. Spacy synths are also common. But what sets zeuhl apart most is the vocal style, which consists of ritualistic, wordless chanting vocals. Zeuhl also tends to be darker and more dissonant than a lot of prog rock.

Bands like Dun, Eskaton, and Koenjihyakkei are excellent examples.

Last edited by RNG on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:11 pm 

Great post, RNG.

IamDBR, have you heard Communic from Norway? I've been a fan for a while now and they're like a better Nevermore to me. They're a three piece but they write intricate long songs full of riffs and soaring vocals. It's ballsy stuff. I've been waiting for their new album for a while now and nobody talks about them! They know how to combine emotions with a great sense of technicality and melody.

3 songs from 3 different albums:
Spoiler: show

Also later days Symphony X is a must for you, not as good as their earlier and neoclassical days but it's heavier now.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:52 am 

Wow thanks everybody, didn't expect this!

@ Smitty: Dhark is alright so far. Agreed, about the variety thing but then again outside of most metal/punk/crossover (with some industrial, folk & 'dark' classical music thrown in the mix) pretty much everything bores me to sleep.

@ RNG: Thanks for the expansive list & the clarification! Was definitely interested in Magma for a while but then I found extreme metal. Looks like it's time for a revisit, hopefully this time with an actual understanding as to what is happening.
I have no problem with prog/thrash, prog/death at all. I also remember enjoying early Savatage & Fates Warning records couple of years back.

@ Metatoine: Communic 2/3, 1st & 3rd tracks are pretty kickass. On the other hand, Symphony X has literally put me to sleep on a couple of occasions (not joking) but I think that was their '97 album (tDWoD). Judging by the embedded tracks it seems that their newer stuff deserves a listen.

Again really grateful for all the help.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:41 pm 

IamDBR wrote:

I kind of feel, though, that going all heavy all the time kind of goes against the point of progressive music, where much more emphasis is placed on dynamics (not just "soft part/loud part" like an alternative song, but many subtle gradations in between), varied techniques (not just distorted chords all the time), and polyphonic textures (multiple lead instruments, not just guitar). Real prog to me is a totally different thing from tech metal like Suffocation, and to really prog out you kind of have to dial the metal back a bit because metal by its nature deals in a very limited range of instrumentation and musical techniques (everything must service the distorted guitar all the time).

Although it's kind of odd to associate prog metal specifically with alt-rock vocals, as while some later bands like Opeth might have that a bit, the "classic" prog metal vocals are Queensrychian high-pitched belting (like James LaBrie before his vocal cord injury).

For specifically heavy, metal-oriented progressive stuff, I'd recommend Fates Warning's second and third albums if you haven't already heard them, as well as Eldritch. I find Eldritch kind of samey, but their singer is excellent and their riffs are great, so riffaholics will love it.

RNG wrote:
A lot of prog/power is super turgid though, so beware.

This is very true. They try to bring the guitar back to the forefront, but they generally aren't great riff writers, are stuck in rock songwriting ideas and don't really understand composition or improvisation, and are obsessed with odd time signatures, which make writing riffs much harder, so it often falls into this leaden mid-tempo chug that is absolutely dreadful.

E: Also power metal singing is really hard to do well and many singers in prog/power bands suck at it and sound like they have marbles in their mouths.

Quote:

Zeuhl is a very weird, very French (though there are also Japanese bands that are even weirder) hybrid of progressive rock and jazz fusion with classical, world music, and avant-garde influences. It heavily employs dissonant chords, layered vocals that are usually either Wagnerian recitatives or ritualistic chanting, unusual percussion, and heavy bass grooves. Guitar tends to be downplayed, sometimes absent altogether.

Universal Totem Orchestra is a more guitar-driven, metal-like zeuhl band that would probably be easier for most metalheads to swallow:

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Last edited by Woolie_Wool on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:45 pm 

-

Last edited by stainedclass2112 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:28 pm 

Nailed it. Now I am not one to say that I listen to everything, metal/punk (& a few other genres that I revisit time to time) IS my music and I don't think that'll ever change. Prog doesn't satisfy that itch for me & frankly, takes the 'fun' (for the lack of a better word) out of music. Also I don't like a lot of stuff that doesn't have a 'certain' level of aggression/intensity. Different shades for different folks, really.

As for the classic metal vocals, I say bring them on. Operatic belting & soaring falsettos over wimpy pseudo-singing any day of the week. Thanks for the long, comprehensive & insightful reply!

Edit: fucking typos

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:18 pm 

IamDBR wrote:

@ RNG: Thanks for the expansive list & the clarification! Was definitely interested in Magma for a while but then I found extreme metal. Looks like it's time for a revisit, hopefully this time with an actual understanding as to what is happening.
I have no problem with prog/thrash, prog/death at all. I also remember enjoying early Savatage & Fates Warning records couple of years back.

I felt it'd be a copout to include death and thrash hybrids if you wanted aggressive prog metal. Since, like, obviously death and thrash will be aggressive.

HamburgerBoy is the best person to ask about prog/tech thrash, but I can suggest some cool underrated artists. To start, Thought Industry, Skeptic Sense, Depressive Age, Geisha Goner, and Megace.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:40 pm 

I'd like any other good riffy prog/power like: Communic, Pagan's Mind, Circus Maximus, DGM, Outworld. Could probably throw Conception in there as well, Sun Caged...
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:47 pm 

Scariot's "Strange to Numbers" is pretty good, but there's a good chance you've heard that one already.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:48 pm 

yep I almost mentioned Scariot. That's pre-Communic! Good stuff.

Manticora too.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:49 pm 

If you don't already listen to Beyond Twilight you should do that and then also check out the new Zierler album (so fucking good).

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:53 pm 

That Zierler is good, yeah. Kelly Carpenter's got pipes. I've heard a little bit of Beyond Twilight but I should give them more of a listen.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:55 pm 

Section X is definitely my favorite (more Carpenter yay), but they are all pretty good.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:06 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I'd like any other good riffy prog/power like: Communic, Pagan's Mind, Circus Maximus, DGM, Outworld. Could probably throw Conception in there as well, Sun Caged...

Oh man, that's gonna be a difficult recommendation for me. I love prog/power a ton but those bands are the ones that most come to mind when I think of turgid chuggy midtempo stuff.

The recommendations I gave a few posts up still qualify, I think, especially Auvernia and Viathyn. Otherwise?

Theocracy and Suspyre are legit bands in my opinion.

Illusion Suite, Stride, Darktribe and Nightmare World are pretty okay as far as that style goes.

I have a soft spot for Platitude and Artension due to their sick keyboard solos.

And, while they're not always prog, Light Bringer are one of my favorite bands ever and I'll take any opportunity to plug them. They have my favorite female vocalist and favorite bassist in all of metal, and they certainly bring the riffs. Plus their prog flourishes are spectacular.

rexxz wrote:
If you don't already listen to Beyond Twilight you should do that and then also check out the new Zierler album (so fucking good).

Haha, we're gonna have to disagree on that one - that may be my least favorite album of all time. Abysmal songwriting, empty chug riffs, and hilariously pretentious lyrics.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:15 pm 

I absolutely love it and of course disagree with every single thing you said about it. I can't wait to hear what they do next.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:18 pm 

I just hope he actually does something next. Considering the time gap between the 3rd Beyond Twilight and Zierler, I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Hey Nahsil, did you ever check out Lanfear? They're one of my favorite power/prog bands. "The Art Effect" and "This Harmonic Consonance" are pretty good, IMO.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:20 pm 

I just want to see Zierler tour live so I can hear the godly Truls Haugen on the mic.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:18 pm 

Thought you guys might dig this:

Kylver (Instrumental Prog Rock/Metal)
https://kylver.bandcamp.com/album/the-island

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:50 pm 

I've heard Lanfear and Theocracy but I'll check the others out!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:11 pm 

rexxz wrote:
I absolutely love it and of course disagree with every single thing you said about it. I can't wait to hear what they do next.

Indeed. Zierler is great and that album is a firecracker of diabolical prog. Love it...

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:27 pm 

I get differences in musical taste, and I'm going to refrain from talking about the particulars of that album's "composition", but the lyrics of No Chorus are just abominable, objectively. Especially given the fact that the song, like, actually does have a chorus. But also because they reflect the awful tendency among prog fans to assume that their music is better and more original than other music. It speaks to a lack of perspective. There's nothing innovative or fresh about that album that I haven't heard in anything from Spastic Ink to Unexpect to Devin Townsend - but judging by the lyrics, the band thinks they're hot shit and have written the most complex and original music since Brian fucking Ferneyhough. And that's the sort of egotism where I have the gut-level instinct to stomp the music to bits just for its sheer up-its-own-ass-ness.

Also the harsh vocals on that song are basically nu-metal. Though, that seems to be what happens when generic prog bands try to "branch out" and make pathetic attempts at incorporating extreme metal influences. You just get aggro chugs (not even rhythmically complex, in ESC's case) and Angry Man Vocals, without any nuance.

Last edited by RNG on Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:29 pm 

I quite like those lyrics - I wouldn't say it's objective at all. I'm no fan of many bands you have spoken about on this page, so clearly it's just a matter of taste.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:51 pm 

Nahsil wrote:

What about Constantine's debut?

Speaking of Outworld, it would have been cool if they hadn't split up. That 2008 promo sounded more to the point than their s/t album, which was ok as well but dragged on at times.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:29 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I quite like those lyrics.

I'm not surprised at all.

I think it's unbelievably ignorant and egotistical, personally, to write a song jerking off your own music and how cool and supposedly forward-thinking it is (meanwhile, [unsyncopated chugging intensifies]), but if you don't know shit about the "normie" music they're shit-talking, I guess it seems awesome and badass.

I love prog metal, I just hate how insular the prog community is. Prog metal has become infested with generic rehash bands and e anything with even the slightest amount of experimentation seems like a revelation, if that's all you listen to. And I'm speaking as someone who enjoys totally generic prog bands like Sun Caged and Thought Chamber. I just wish people who listened to that stuff didn't have to convince themselves it's better than everything else.

I don't care if you hate the music I listen to, but at least I'm not listening to shit like Zierler that preens about how sophisticated and intelligent it is. That attitude is absolute fucking cancer.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:34 pm 

RNG wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
I quite like those lyrics.

I'm not surprised at all.

What's that supposed to mean? Some kind of dig at me or something? Not sure where that's coming from.

I thought the lyrics were pretty enjoyable and it didn't bother me. Maybe they really are as self-indulgent and egotistical as you perceived, I dunno as I haven't read any interviews or anything like that with them. I think that album and the Beyond Twilight catalogue are pretty great and I also don't share your revulsion to "chug" music at all. You seem to be taking this awfully personally for no reason.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm 

I don't think "No Chorus" was meant to be taken seriously. At any rate, it sounded pretty tongue-in-cheek to me.

I liked that Zierler album somewhat, but I didn't find anything there to get mortally offended over (but I'm not fanatically obsessed about it either). I'm not sure why its so polarizing. *shrug* Then again, I actually liked Pain of Salvation's "Scarsick" and "BE" :P

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:56 pm 

Yeah, I'm fairly humorless when it comes to music, sorry. The promo video that I saw for that album seemed like they were taking themselves seriously, but I'm bad at reading emotions.

I do need to check out Beyond Twilight, though. And honestly, if I'm pissed about anything regarding that album, it's the fact that Bobby Jarzombek and Per Nilsson are on it. Nilsson's leadwork sound nothing like his Scar Symmetry stuff (which I have a softspot for).

As for chugs, well, bands already have a rhythm section of drums and bass. It's pointless to have the guitar be used mainly as a rhythm instrument, and leave melody up to the keyboardist and vocalist. Prog is about dynamic melodic interactions from various different instruments, with each one getting a chance to shine. With bands like Pagan's Mind, there's some good keyboard bits and guitar solos, but the meat of the songs doesn't have much going on melodically, just a series of rhythmic exercises. At least, I've listened to 3 of that band's album multiple times and that's the impression I got - not much elaboration on the riffs outside of solo sections, very little bass prominence, pretty simple drumwork. I don't hate that approach, just don't get the appeal of it when there's bands like Power of Omens who can write such dynamic and free-flowing compositions with every instrument getting its time to shine.

Last edited by RNG on Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:59 pm 

I like the standoffish, fuck-you vibe of that whole album. It has an immediate, aggressive quality some other prog doesn't have, even stuff like latter-day Symphony X. Really intense, atypical stuff.

EDIT: I don't view music like you do, then. I think it's purely a case by case thing that can work based on how it's written and executed. Some bands that have super proficient, clear, virtuosic musicianship bore me, but others like later Pharaoh are among my favorite bands. Some bands like Machine Head do chugging, downtuned guitars in terrible ways but others like Zierler are excellent to me due to the drama and unpredictability of the songwriting - it's very much exciting and interesting to me. I don't like to see these things as absolutes or think like "why aren't they letting every band member get his fair share of time?" or something. It's about the effect a whole package of an album or song has to me.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:06 pm 

I tend to agree with Woolie_Wool that prog isn't suited for constant aggression and intensity. It ought to be dynamic.

It doesn't help that most prog bands don't listen to much extreme metal, so when they try to sound heavy it sounds to a death metal listener's ears like a really poor pastiche. And it tends to conflict aesthetically with everything else in the composition. Which could occasionally be used for effect - the crazy noisy bit of Yes' Gates of Delirium is one of my favorite moments in music, specifically for how jarring it is in the rest of the song's context - but in general a genre focusing on narrative should have narratives that are understandable, I think.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next