* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:55 am 

ObservationSlave wrote:
rexxz wrote:
I am so beyond sad that Nurmagomedov couldn't make weight for his bout with Tony Ferguson. I've been waiting since 2015 to see those two go at it and this is the third time their fight has been cancelled. :ugh:

Dude...I was so hyped for this fight and couldn't believe it when I read it was cancelled. Hopefully this gets rescheduled sooner rather than later. I'm pretty convinced that Ferguson's movement and balance will make it hard for Khabib to take him down, and he can pick him apart on the feet. If Khabib does ever get on top though, I don't think Ferguson's craftiness will really matter, because Khabib's top game is unreal. At this point McGregor will probably fight Mayweather before these two guys fight, though.

At least there are a few other really interesting fights on this card, but that news was devastating. It's unfortunate how often this happens. I was super excited to see Cain's rematch against Werdum at UFC 207 a few months back, but that got pulled right before the fights too.

I think they can easily salvage it for 210, if they choose to. I hope they will. Khabib has excellent wrist control that you see in folk style wrestling a lot. It's weird, sambo doesn't use that as much so I think his father might have some sort of good wrestling background in Dagestan in addition to his own sambo skills. He uses that to absolutely dominate people on the ground, because when you top control really the only way to get up is to turn around and stand. When he grabs your wrist that you use to get up and just keeps pulling you down and smashing you with his other arm, trying to catch you in a kimura the entire time as well, it's insane. But yeah I think if Ferg keeps it standing he might even put him out. That guy's skills and conditioning are unreal. I'm just too mad to think about it, will undoubtedly be one of the greatest fights of all time if/when it happens.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:52 pm 

Well this is embarrassing. Canada loses all three games against the USA, Dominican Republic and Colombia - and are now the only country ever to lose to Colombia! So we have to qualify for the next World Baseball Classic. I'd like to cheer for Israel for the rest of the tournament, but they're not really the noobs you'd think they are. More a bunch of dual-citizen American-trained ringers.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Turd Blaster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:31 pm 

Anybody else doing an NCAA tournament bracket? I don't ever really follow college basketball too in-depth, but I did one for fun and ended up with UCLA over Arizona in the national championship.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:07 pm 

I haven't paid much attention to college basketball this year since UConn sucks, but I did fill out a bracket for the hell of it. I tend to have PAC-12 teams lose early since it's not as strong a conference as others, but I think I did have Arizona in the Final Four. My final is Butler over Duke. I tried to pick a winner that no one else would pick but still has a decent shot of going all the way. Butler beat Villanova twice this year and they always turn it up in the tournament, so I'm hoping they pull something off.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:09 pm 

Oh man, the Raiders are trying to coax Marshawn Lynch out of retirement. It's probably not the best idea, but it's a damned exciting one.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:11 pm 

He's known for having saved a lot of money while playing and he appears to be doing well with his Beast Mode apparel, so I would be surprised if someone could pull him out of retirement. Perhaps he misses the sport, but I think a lot of guys are happy to get out before they suffer major injuries.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:20 pm 

Helpful hint for the CBC: for your hockey broadcasts, hire someone with some hockey knowledge to program the closed captioning. Watching tonight's Sens game with the CC on, and Bob Cole announced "Borowiecki's out of the penalty box in nine seconds". The CC came up with this: "Boar jet skis out of the penalty box in nine seconds." :o :lol: I WANT TO SEE THAT HAPPEN!!!

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:03 pm 

Guy Boucher (and all other NHL coaches for that matter), grow a pair of balls!! When you get a powerplay in overtime, especially in the last 2 minutes of overtime, pull your goalie. That way you'll have a 5-on-3 for the remainder of the game!! Instead of going on to lose in the shootout when Anderson is coming back from injury and not yet on top of his game.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:07 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Guy Boucher (and all other NHL coaches for that matter), grow a pair of balls!! When you get a powerplay in overtime, especially in the last 2 minutes of overtime, pull your goalie. That way you'll have a 5-on-3 for the remainder of the game!! Instead of going on to lose in the shootout when Anderson is coming back from injury and not yet on top of his game.

What a weak-ass powerplay! Weber and Benn did one hell of a job though. Anderson just couldn't stop the mighty but small Paul and the the Russian menace in the shootout. Another 2 points for the Habs tomorrow :) Great playoff game. I'm sure you guys can beat the Rangers so we can meet in the semi finals!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:00 pm 

A few questions/comments, and the first is rhetorical: 1) Is Paul Byron of literally any use against any team other than Ottawa? 2) My understanding of the NHL's playoff system is pretty halfass beyond the forst round. Does the winner of each division's 2-vs-3 matchup play that division's champion (or wild card usurper) in the next round? ie would Ottawa and Montreal meet in round 2?
Finally, I'd like to point out that so far in the season series, the Sens and Habs are 1-1 in games that meet anything in a playoff context. Either team's shootout wins should be looked at as ties. So neither of us should be too confident about the possible playoff matchup! PS yes that was one of the laziest powerplays I've ever seen.

**EDIT: Wait a minute! Are you conceding the division to Ottawa? You must be; in order for the Sens to gain our vengeance on New York for 2012, we must finish 1st :)** Also thanks for the vote of confidence against the Rangers.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:08 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
A few questions/comments, and the first is rhetorical: 1) Is Paul Byron of literally any use against any team other than Ottawa? 2) My understanding of the NHL's playoff system is pretty halfass. Does the winner of each division's 2-vs-3 matchup play that division's champion (or wild card usurper) in the next round? ie would Ottawa and Montreal meet in round 2?
Finally, I'd like to point out that so far in the season series, the Sens and Habs are 1-1 in games that meet anything in a playoff context. Either team's shootout wins should be looked at as ties. So neither of us should be too confident about the possible playoff matchup! PS yes that was one of the laziest powerplays I've ever seen.

1) Yes, very much so. The dude is Bergevin's best acquisition. He's so fasssst!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYaxU6RXyaA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv6H6_IozTU

2) A good write up about the new system. They're trying to forge new rivalries and it's kinda working. See MTL vs OTT or MTL vs TB.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/how- ... rmat-work/

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:26 pm 

That was dreadful. Listless offence, bumbling powerplay, defensive zone dumpster fires, and even a real squibbler past Anderson for the third goal. :nono: Credit to Montreal for actually taking control in the 3rd, but they won the first two periods simply due to lack of resistance.
On the bright side, Ottawa and Boston haven't met in the playoffs since the 1927 Stanley Cup final... a good omen?

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:36 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
On the bright side, Ottawa and Boston haven't met in the playoffs since the 1927 Stanley Cup final... a good omen?

If we don't choke hard in these last couple weeks of play, we're either getting swept to the links by the Caps or Pens, or getting frustrated and imploding on ourselves if we face y'all. Bruins aren't doing a damn thing in the postseason this year. I actually hope we don't make the playoffs, because that would be way better than being laughed out of the first round. I really, REALLY want to see some intense Canada v. Canada matchups; the contenders all look very strong this year. I really wanted to see Minnesota go the distance this year, but now I'm crossing my fingers for an EDM/CGY v. MTL/TOR/OTT final. It's a long shot, but I can dream. ;)

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:51 pm 

Minnesota as usual, are lucky that the season's almost over and there isn't much time left to fall out of a playoff spot. They've gotten back to their odd habit of becoming totally helpless after New Year's; it's really weird how that happens every year.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:00 pm 

Yep. I know a woman here who's a big Wild fan, and she says she loves the team but hates them because "they always gotta tease her like that". :lol:

WTF is Patty Maroon eating before games lately? He's getting as many good looks on offense as McDavid is, it seems...

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:35 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Yep. I know a woman here who's a big Wild fan, and she says she loves the team but hates them because "they always gotta tease her like that". :lol:

WTF is Patty Maroon eating before games lately? He's getting as many good looks on offense as McDavid is, it seems...

Sorry for the piddly-assed side note, but that phrase is really weird imo. Everybody uses it now, "good looks on offence", or "good looks at the net". Why not call it a scoring chance like normal folk? Has hockey gotten so tight-checking that the best teams can do is "look" at the net?

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:07 pm 

I don't know why I said that, to be honest. It doesn't matter.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:47 pm 

Round 1 of the AFL almost done. Sydney and Hawthorn both lost, which is unusual. I follow Sydney so this could be a long year.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:08 pm 

Can't even beat the fucking Detroit Dead Things :nono: If Ottawa makes the playoffs at all, I hope it's not a Battle of Ontario. I've kind of enjoyed not hating the Maple Leafs these past few years.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:13 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Can't even beat the fucking Detroit Dead Things :nono: If Ottawa makes the playoffs at all, I hope it's not a Battle of Ontario. I've kind of enjoyed not hating the Maple Leafs these past few years.

The Atlantic is ours, bitches! We'll crush the Rangers in the first round!

If you guys want to make the playoffs, you should stop losing lol. 2 wins in the last 10? Come on!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:55 pm 

3 hits on opening day. Felix is already injured. I know it's a long season, but that's a pretty fucking poor start.

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:47 am 

Metantoine u know that Toronto is gonna wipe the floor with the habs. If not the sens will mop em up anyways.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:52 pm 

Hey I just noticed last night's shootout loss allowed Ottawa to back-slide over Boston back into the division third slot :scratch: Yeah, Tony, to stop losing is one way to get into the playoffs... or we could literally fail upwards!

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:00 pm 

So it's official, the NHL will be skipping the 2018 Olympics: http://www.cbc.ca/m/sports/olympics/win ... -1.4053479

What would be really awesome is if there were a massive exodus of European players who are unrestricted free agents at the end of this season, back to their home countries, just so they'd be able to participate. There is quite an impressive list of talent who could do this - honouring their homelands while not abandoning anything, because they don't belong to an NHL team: http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:58 pm 

EDIT: nevermind; dumb rant.

Last edited by Dragunov on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:28 pm 

NuclearCreation91 wrote:
Metantoine u know that Toronto is gonna wipe the floor with the habs. If not the sens will mop em up anyways.

Montreal are 4-0 against the Leafs this season. The Maple Leads are gonna win a cup or two in the next 10 years but they're way too young right now, they also don't have a defense.

I'm pretty sure NHLers are gonna go to the Olympics, the whole thing is not done yet.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:55 pm 

The Mariners have scored one run in the first two games. My optimism is evaporating rather quickly.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:13 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
The Mariners have scored one run in the first two games. My optimism is evaporating rather quickly.

Keuchel looks healthy and McCullers has killer stuff, and also looked healthy. When Keuchel is on, it's difficult to do anything but hit the ball into the grass, and McCullers has both excellent velocity and one of the best offspeed pitches in the league.

The Felix injury is a bummer, though. Especially after losing Smyly for a couple months.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:44 am 

Maybe it was an over-reaction, but they're doing a pretty poor job of proving me wrong. They've now struck out 30+ times in the first 3 games, and I wanna say they're like 2/20 with RISP? Charlie Morton is just some guy, and they couldn't even get it done against him.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:52 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Maybe it was an over-reaction, but they're doing a pretty poor job of proving me wrong. They've now struck out 30+ times in the first 3 games, and I wanna say they're like 2/20 with RISP? Charlie Morton is just some guy, and they couldn't even get it done against him.

Morton has been interesting. Since he reinvented his delivery to ape Roy Halladay, he's been an extreme groundball pitcher - near 60%. Last year, his velocity jumped up over 2 MPH, and it appears to have held going into this season. An elite groundball rate and above average velocity is a rare combination, and almost always correlates with elite results.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:23 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:

Normally I'd say you're losing hope on the Mariners too quickly, but starting off with a full crapout against the Astros, with their recent history of total uselessness in the division... it might be a long year in Seattle.

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:38 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Montreal are 4-0 against the Leafs this season. The Maple Leads are gonna win a cup or two in the next 10 years but they're way too young right now, they also don't have a defense.

haha I was only shit talking. I'd like to see the Leafs clinch a playoff spot which is more than possible but a cup would be a miracle. This year is a tight fucking race which is making for great hockey, so it's really no sweat anyways. New Jersey has always been my team and they shat the bed this year. Long gone are the days of Scott Stevens and Marty Brodeur.

I had a laugh at Brad Marchand spearing Dotchin in the nuttys. Could've got a Boston record but got himself suspended for the last 2 games. That slimey weasel.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:09 pm 

NuclearCreation91 wrote:
I had a laugh at Brad Marchand spearing Dotchin in the nuttys. Could've got a Boston record but got himself suspended for the last 2 games. That slimey weasel.

I was so pissed (I edited my post above cause it was a stupid rant). The camera was following the play going away from the Tampa zone, and I caught a white sweater just drop to the ice in front of the crease, and I already knew what happened. Lucky for us, we killed that major and went on to shut the Bolts out, but fucking hell...that's three separate occasions in the last two seasons where he pulls some shit like that, in key situations where we need him on the ice scoring for us, to potentially push us into a playoff spot. Not that the Bruins are going to do a damn thing in the postseason...but it would've been cool to see the shadiest dude in the league put up a 40+ goal season and potentially win the Rocket. :lol: :ugh:

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:25 pm 

haha I wish he did. Reminds me of my best buddy playing hockey growing up. Was dirty to the dirty players, split some assholes helmet in half with a mean elbow and the refs didn't catch it lol. Guy got a game misconduct immediately after too because he was swearing at the top of his lungs after the fact.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:53 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Trashy_Rambo wrote:

Normally I'd say you're losing hope on the Mariners too quickly, but starting off with a full crapout against the Astros, with their recent history of total uselessness in the division... it might be a long year in Seattle.

Houston is one of the most talented teams in MLB. They weren't an outlandish pick to win the WS last season, and they've improved going into this season.

mrbskywalker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:11 pm 

Everyone make the Browns joke now lol

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:53 pm 

Dan Rooney, Steelers (NFL) owner and former U.S. ambassador to Ireland, died today.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:27 pm 

He was definitely a model owner, and personally instrumental in building the franchise we know today. It's hard to think of one person who's been more influential in the league. RIP.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:28 pm 

Let's make this post about something fun! Marshawn Lynch is a classic Raider, and I'm incredibly excited to see him play. He might not be the Beast-mode of old, but he shouldn't have trouble surpassing Latavius Murray's 4 yard average behind that line.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:38 am 

I'm a Pats fan, but Marshawn Skittles Beast Mode has been my favorite player of the past five or so years by far. Dude is a trip and one hell of a football player. Can't wait to see him back in pads running over linebackers.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 136  Next