Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:20 pm 

I actually dug Redeemer of Souls quite a bit, so I'm looking forward to this. Hope they take a few more risks on this one though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:21 pm 

The clip sounds more fun than Redeemer, but it's so short it's tough to say. I am not expecting this to be great, but hopefully it'll be good and more importantly, shorter than an hour this time - better for Priest's style I find. I guess there'll be a new song tomorrow, so we'll see.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:54 pm 

https://vimeo.com/249685593?outro=1

Last FM

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:32 pm 

alexo666 wrote:
https://vimeo.com/249685593?outro=1

A tad slower than I cared for but still I liked it quite a bit. Has a nice early 80's priest vibe going on and i liked the chorus, solos et all. Halford does sound very good here. In the end I need more to go on but not bad at all.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:36 pm 

Yeah, it's not bad at all. It plays it safe, but I was expecting it to.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:14 pm 

An okay Primal Fear song.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:50 pm 

Opus wrote:
An okay Primal Fear song.

Yeah, exactly. .. except scheepers vocals are in key.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:21 am 

It was a good song.

I could hope for more, but it's pretty strong effort for a band that will probably see one of its members die within the next 5 years.

Andy Sneap makes them sound like every other band he produces, though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:14 am 

Yeah, the production is dull and makes them sound generic as fuck - shame because the song, however generic, is perfectly solid and Halford actually sounds very good. For a while now he's just been dull, but he sounds like he's got a fire under his ass here and sounds much better.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:09 am 

Sounds pretty good, definitely has a similar feel as the Redeemer of Souls title track but this sounds more natural to me.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:13 am 

I liked it a lot, and have always thought Judas Priest are one of the bands that actually benefits from a super slick production job so no complaints there.

Last edited by ~Guest 417309 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:54 am 

First single.

ETA: Official music video can be seen here. http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/hear-n ... ng-strike/. For some reason I can't link the video.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:45 pm 

The production rocks. The song is fun, solid, but generally uneventful. I imagine we're going to get another attempt to mix Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith, and Painkiller, but hopefully the addition of Sneap and Allom reinvigorated them a bit more.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:42 pm 

Ersatz Priest smells funny. Also, not having of KK is only made worse by having Faulker take most of the leads.

Pelata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:46 pm 

Priest is Priest...I dig it.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:01 pm 

holy shit is that Marge Simpson on vocals???
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:24 pm 

Element_man wrote:
holy shit is that Marge Simpson on vocals???

No, that's Rob Halford.

Marge Simpson sings in Britny Fox.
I mean really, with that voice and haircut it cannot be anybody else.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:11 pm 

Generic Priest post-Painkiller, but considering how few generic Priest post-Painkiller albums there are I think that's a pretty good prospect.

"A Nightmare from Hell", though, scraping the imagery barrel a bit there, Rob

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:24 pm 

Good tune, but listening to the lyrics and looking at the songtitles, I can't help but wonder if Rob feels like he's trapped in a corner lyrically.

Also you people have no clue what Marge Simpson singing sounds like. Marge Simpson singing sounds like Janis Joplin.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:43 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
Also you people have no clue what Marge Simpson singing sounds like. Marge Simpson singing sounds like Janis Joplin.

That's how her clean vocals sound, and her harsh/death vocals sound like this.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:03 pm 

Well, that was really beige.
Fire walk with me"

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:19 pm 

_flow wrote:
Define veteran acts, I already forgot the new Enslaved, Samael and Satyricon.

They are all veteran acts.

Lord_Beavereater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:33 am 

I was disappointed first listen, Thought it was paint by numbers Priest.
And it is to a degree.
However repeated listens have seen the song growing on me.
Personally I would like to see them experiment again like they used too.
I am not a huge fan of the play it safe stance they seem to have taken in recent years.
I understand that Rob's range is not as good, but I don't really enjoy the way he delivers songs these days.
The fire and passion in the guitar playing had faded as well, remember how you used to be able to recall most solo's by Priest?
Not so memorable anymore....
Production sounds good....Thank god!
Will buy it regardless and enjoy it, as I have every other album they have ever released.
Just want to see them go out on a high...rather than fade away.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:21 am 

Quote:
I am not a huge fan of the play it safe stance they seem to have taken in recent years.

Yes.

Judas Priest was never about being solid or playing it safe. They were the band you defined heavy metal around. The blues/progressiveness of Sad Wings, the simplicity of British Steel, the speed and energy of Screaming/Defenders, the ridiculousness of Painkiller. Whatever metal was, you could always look to JP and they'd be playing the definitive version of that.

But now? I'm not calling this song a Primal Fear clone like some others, but...

This is where modern Iron Maiden has the edge over modern JP. I say "Book of Souls" and "The Final Frontier" are very mixed and flawed albums, but they're huge, massive, and undeniably represent Iron Maiden.

But imagine if Iron Maiden released an album that sounded like one of their mediocre clone bands (ie, Katana). That would just be sad.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:59 am 

I don't entirely disagree with that, but then on the other hand "Nostradamus" certainly did not play it safe, and was arguably more ambitious than anything Iron Maiden have done (and I think fell flat on their face even harder than No Prayer did as a Killers-era revival).

And Iron Maiden have a lot of playing it safe. They're pretty much using the template created on the X Factor and fine-tuned on Brave New World constantly now. It's a pretty good template with scope for ingenuity but can be predictable: e.g. epic with a quiet verse leading to a big chorus, an instrumental section with sections repeated to saturation-point, return of the chorus etc. (Dickinson's Empire of the Clouds was a surprise though, I think that's a truly clever song). Priest have never fallen into the trap of focusing on the "epics" and still trying to craft punchy, short songs (Lochness being about their only super-long song, and it's not very good). I appreciate that.

I'd rather them just trot out this sort of stuff than experiment for the sake of it and make a load of crap (Demolition). Anyway, I'll reserve judgement until I hear the album, but I bet it's going to have two or three amazing slabs of speed metal, and then a bunch of mid-paced British Steel-esque dross because they still feel they need to write a radio single. Oh and a ballad or two of course.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:48 am 

The problem with Priest is that, yeah, people bring up Nostradamus, and it's true that one was something new and fresh for them - however it was also terrible and didn't succeed at what it was trying to do. And when they play it safer, it ends up just sounding tired. It really is a no-win for them unless this one really is a true ass-kicker.

Maiden have a definite song style they like now, but they take more risks than stuff like Redeemer of Souls or Angel of Retribution did, and each album is distinct and has its own flow and mood and whatnot. Frankly it's hard for any band to be super groundbreaking this long into a career, but it's just a shame Priest aren't doing so well at things they once excelled at.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:15 am 

'Lightning Strike' sounded like a winner, at least when I heard it half asleep from the radio last night. Definitely got my hopes up.

TheGreatTrendkiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:29 am 

Production sounds great and so does Halford. Too bad the riff is abysmal.

Really hope for some better songwriting and less tired, basic power metal going through the motions.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:53 am 

This sounds like a mediocre track from one of Halford's solo albums.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:03 am 

That endless midtempo double bass is what kills this for me. It must be one of Sneap's producing requirements.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:42 pm 

I do not anticipate new Priest albums the way I did back in the 80's. I avoid them until they come out because Priest have in recent years been notorious for leaking songs that are subpar. There is no way one can hear the Nostradamus title track and think it is better than Exile, Alone or Persecution from the same album. No way one can hear Revolution and say it is better than Hellrider, Demonizer or Deal with the Devil.

The problem is Priest has always been the most eclectic Metal band in history. The one band that could get away with making an album that pioneered Speed and Thrash Metal (Sin After Sin) and feature a track like Last Rose of Summer on it. Epitaph on Sad Wings of Destiny, etc...

The ONLY time Priest has released the same album twice (though that is debatable) was Screaming/Defenders, otherwise they were constantly evolving. Now it appears Priest has continued to release a dud as their first leak and maybe it will be like Nostradamus and Redeemer of Souls where the albums are great but the leaked song was not.

Either way, it is realized that 2018 Priest is NOT the same ones who made Unleashed In The East, Turbo or Jugulator. I grew up with them and am thankful for it, but if this album sounds like Lightning Strike then it will likely not be very good. I will still have my vinyls, 8-tracks, cassettes, CD's, bootlegs, shirts, ticket stubs and 12 times seeing them live to suffice.

c_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:55 pm 

Luvers666 wrote:
I will still have my vinyls, 8-tracks, cassettes, CD's, bootlegs, shirts, ticket stubs and 12 times seeing them live to suffice.

Post some cool pics of 80's Priest shirts!

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:05 pm 

Luvers666 wrote:
I do not anticipate new Priest albums the way I did back in the 80's. I avoid them until they come out because Priest have in recent years been notorious for leaking songs that are subpar. There is no way one can hear the Nostradamus title track and think it is better than Exile, Alone or Persecution from the same album. No way one can hear Revolution and say it is better than Hellrider, Demonizer or Deal with the Devil.

Sorry, Nostradamus is by far my favourite track on the album. If it was all like that I'd love it.
Also leak's not really right - leak is an unauthorised distribution. This is essentially the first single (which ok I know historically used to be after the LP came out) But who expects the first single to be the best song?

Hellrider and Demonizer are just - and hesitate to say this because it's so overused - godly. I love them. But hardly single material: although I do think Priest are barking up the wrong tree trying to write "singles" these days.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:43 pm 

I think JP should have gone in the direction they explored on Loch Ness. Not lyrically, obviously, but that track was Priest going doom metal, and it would have been cool to hear a whole album like that.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:30 am 

idunnosomename wrote:
Luvers666 wrote:
Sorry, Nostradamus is by far my favourite track on the album. If it was all like that I'd love it.
I will go into this further below but for now, I admit the opera intro and opening scream once the songs kicks off are awesome, but it loses so much power after that. Calm Before the Storm is also a very emotional and melancholic intro that song, which is appropriate due to the subject matter. Most however do not play it beforehand when singling out that track. My favorite songs on Nostradamus are Dawn Of Creation (That is such a badass intro), Death, Lost Love (Ballad I know but it is a beautiful one), Persecution, Solitude/Exiled, Alone, Calm Before the Storm, Future Of Mankind.
idunnosomename wrote:
Also leak's not really right - leak is an unauthorised distribution. This is essentially the first single (which ok I know historically used to be after the LP came out) But who expects the first single to be the best song?
It has happened and I realize leak is not the accurate word but I believe it worked to make my point.
idunnosomename wrote:
Hellrider and Demonizer are just - and hesitate to say this because it's so overused - godly. I love them. But hardly single material: although I do think Priest are barking up the wrong tree trying to write "singles" these days.
Since when has Priest not been writing singles? With the exception of maybe Jugulator, every album from Killing Machine to Redeemer of Souls have had songs crafted very much from a pop platform. Evening Star, Living After Midnight, Troubleshooter, You've Got Another Thing Coming, Love Bites, Private Property, Come and Get It, Touch Of Evil, One On One, Deal With the Devil, Prophecy and Dragonaut. Those songs did not all happen by accident, did they?
Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
I think JP should have gone in the direction they explored on Loch Ness. Not lyrically, obviously, but that track was Priest going doom metal, and it would have been cool to hear a whole album like that.
While I agree that Priest proved they could do another shade of Metal with Lochness, I would disagree with them doing a whole album like that. One of the many aspects of Judas Priest that have drew me to them for decades was their ability to change. It is the same reason I was never big on Painkiller. Like I detailed in my review of the album, I disliked that album on a whole because it was the ONLY time in their career they were one note. Priest were always extremely eclectic and not just from one album to the next but always on the albums as well.

Rob Halford said it best in 1991, on BBC Radio:
Code:
     "I think when Priest finally hangs up the microphones, the guitar cords and the drum sticks, I'd just like people to remember us as a band that really tried to show people in music that heavy metal isn't just a one-dimensional form of music; it's not all plodding riffs in E or A; it's not all about death, doom, and destruction. It's got a lot of character, it's got a lot of flavor, it's got a lot of wonderful variety of interpretation that's available to it if you only look and you explore, and you take some risks. Priest has always done that.
     "You take an album like Turbo, which is my all-time favorite Priest album, which is very up, is very optimistic - makes you feel great when you listen to it. It's very full of experimentation and very modernism ways of taking heavy metal. And then you go to another extreme, like a more recent album like Painkiller, which is real pedal-to-the-metal and it's really explosive, aggressive, angry music that's very, very complex in parts, but very stimulating and really gets your blood pumping. That's how I'd like people to remember Priest as being: A band that explored and a band that went where no band went before in heavy metal."

- Rob Halford, BBC Radio 1, April 5, 1991
So with Painkiller it was like they decided Freewheel Burning was their best song and decided to make an entire album that way, abandoning their only defining mark. I have always said the only identity Judas Priest has ever had was that they had no identity. I have never heard a band with the same core lineup of songwriters last as long as Priest has while constantly changing.

Black Sabbath's 12th studio album was Seventh Star and it is true that it sounds NOTHING like, say, Paranoid, which was recorded 16 years prior. Not only is there plenty of interviews stating it was meant to be an Iommi solo record but even if there was not, he was the only remaining member. When a band loses an entire lineup and writing team, it is expected the sound and style would shift.

Judas Priest's 12th studio album was Painkiller and it is true that it sounds NOTHING like, say, Sad Wings of Destiny, which was recorded 16 years prior. The difference is that the same exact members - sans the percussionist - penned the two releases. So why the diversity? While I do not like Painkiller on a whole, it does contain two of their greatest anthems ever (The title track and the masterful All Guns Blazing).

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:01 am 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:

Ja, I really wish they explored this sound more. I think that's one helluva song. I don't mind the lyrics either. I think that cheese has aged well.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:53 am 

I'd love to hear a doomy Priest album myself. I still remember when the Epitaph tour was announced and it looked like the band was finishing up, my first thought was "Does this mean that Rob Halford can finally make that album with Tony and Geezer now?"

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:56 pm 

It's hard to see Priest release another album in what might be the most played out style of metal ever, at least for me (painkillercore that the germans ran amok with). To be honest, the chorus of this song does give it a little character but it's mostly boring. For people who can still somehow bring themselves to listen to new music in this style it's great but my few years being obsessed with Iron Savior kind of killed it for me.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:40 pm 

"Painkiller" is so much more aggressive than what Euro-power has done in the last two decades. I don't think anything else comes close to it, in terms of style and I think I've heard it all. Maybe the song "Chainbreaker" from Primal Fear's debut, but that's it. Tim Owens singing on Winters Bane's debut is in the right style for it, but the music was more King Diamond/Queensryche inspired and not so much pummeling double bass.

I was listening to Painkiller today. This new song is nowhere near as aggressive as the heavy tracks on that album. Like I said, "Lightning Strikes" sounds like rehashed Halford solo stuff.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:39 pm 

Less Hell Patrol/Painkiller type of songs, and more kick ass tunes like Lochness and Prophecy. Fucking Prophecy stomps.

Last FM

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next