Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:16 pm 

I have a feeling the Bloodborne fans in the room might find some amusement here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzhxs2QsJRc

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:04 pm 

Haven't played a game intensively since BF4 and BF1. Had some health issues since I last played. Didn't even play the Eastern front DLC and whatever DLC(s) that followed after that. Played a bit of Crash Bandicoot HD trilogy and some NFS 2015 and a bit GTA Vice City for the nostalgic value. I also tried the Wipe Out PS4 version but eventough grapically it looks very awesome, it's a very 'sterile' game and my eyes can't keep up with the speed of the vehicles and the track bends and obstacles. Wasn't even in the mood for buying Star Wars BFII (I enjoyed the first one on PS4 but the whole BFII lootcase and TLJ conroversies turned me off quite a bit. There's only a couple of things I look forward to in the future:

- The Spyro trilogy re-master
- MediEvil re-master
- Any (not too realistic) arcade race game.... Any sequel to either Blur, Split/Second, MotorStorm Apocalypse (damn that was a fun game), Burnout (the open world racing of the re-make version of BU Paradise doesn't do it for me, it works in NFSU2 but not in the BU franchise. So if there ever will be an original sequel i hope it goes back pure arcade quick-racing.). Hell I'm even up for a Rollcage sequel, or a PS4 version from that Rollcage tribute game 'GRIP' on Steam. But if anyone has a suggestion for a fun arcade racer, throw em my way, plz !
- oh and hopefully an Overboard re-make some day for the PS store, damn that game was so stupidly addicting.

I realize that in my case there really aren't many interesting PS4 games. Or my priorities have changed since my health issues in 2017. I just can' keep up anymore with what's possibly good. They used to air informative game programs like more than a decade ago, and that was really a help. Since I don't buy magazines, there's only websites and VG vloggers on youtube left and it's all just too much.

I conclude that the best games (for me) are the ones that are fixed in a steadygoing franchise that have been going for at least a decade or the games that try to aim for nostalgic value by making HD re-makes (I'm still waiting for that Getaway re-make or spinoff! )

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:27 pm 

Pillars of Eternity 2 has been pretty solid so far! The graphics/animations and combat are a step up for me, and the writing is a bit less verbose, with less of it, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:33 am 

Machine_Dead wrote:
I realize that in my case there really aren't many interesting PS4 games. Or my priorities have changed since my health issues in 2017. I just can' keep up anymore with what's possibly good. They used to air informative game programs like more than a decade ago, and that was really a help. Since I don't buy magazines, there's only websites and VG vloggers on youtube left and it's all just too much.

Little bit of both. All the big multi-platform releases come out for PS4, obviously, but the Microsoft access to PC ports that XB1 gets is pretty hard to overcome. Metacritic is also your friend when it comes to looking up game reviews.
Quote:
I conclude that the best games (for me) are the ones that are fixed in a steadygoing franchise that have been going for at least a decade or the games that try to aim for nostalgic value by making HD re-makes (I'm still waiting for that Getaway re-make or spinoff! )

Since you're a BF4/BF1 player, I recommend Planetside 2. There's a bit of a learning curve but the gameplay is very similar. MMO FPS, sci-fi, three factions constantly at war for collecting territory.

Or maybe I'm just looking for more people to play it with. Mwahahaha...

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:33 am 

I played Planetside since the original one came out in 2003 and I beta tested + played Planetside 2 for quite a while. I quit a couple years ago but have been thinking about reinstalling it...

Also, I started playing Pillars of Eternity 2. I didn't really play the first one much so I'm getting lost with all these really specific lore references and characters that the game just assumes you're supposed to know. I mean there's a couple parts here and there where you can prompt people to "remind" you about what happened in the first game if you haven't played it or forgot... but those are not very common. I really like the game so far other than that, but it's unfortunate that I can't really find myself getting immersed in the world or characters since I have zero reference point on what the fuck these people are doing or talking about. I like it when sequel games let new players in a bit more gracefully. Really fun game though, the fights are fucking cool and I enjoy the multi-class system a lot.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:17 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Metacritic is also your friend when it comes to looking up game reviews.

...Let's just say I heavily disagree with this. lol.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:40 pm 

So holy shit even though Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night still doesn't have a release date, we're now getting a spin-off 8-bit separate game called Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon on May 24th!

Announcement trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTRohTxCRlk

Damn, that looks cool. Great look, great music, gameplay looks awesome. Looks essentially like a shameless remake of Castlevania 3 but I'm still gonna play the hell out of it. I love that this one's like a linear level-to-level Castlevania type thing whereas Ritual of the Night is going to be more of a Symphony of the Night open world (open castle?) game. Best of both worlds!

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:35 pm 

That looks pretty cool, although IMO that music didn't fit and the main character sprites were kinda ugly compared to everything else, seemed kinda strange. Depending on price though I'll still grab it. Love a good Castlevania ripoff.
I'd also recommend Master of Darkness on master system if you're interested in this kinda stuff. You'll need an old console/emu to play it, of course.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:47 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
rexxz wrote:
You people and your free time

I feel for you unless you have no free time, because of kids.

There are lots of reasons to not have time for games. What if someone has a full time job, hobbies besides gaming, a significant other, a kid, not to overlook the crushing realization that life is short and fleeting and as the years tick away, you feel a sense of crushing pressure that goads you into doing something--anything--with your life before the time is gone and it's just too fucking late and you don't want to be looking back on a multitude of wasted years, regardless of how much fun you had in the past with those games, sometimes it feels like there was too much time spent with those and not enough building a life, and the anxiety gets to you, so when you do finally decide to play a game, you hate yourself because you want to be doing something else with your life.

But in my case, I am also trying to learn to develop in Unreal 4.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:15 pm 

Season 6 of For Honor starts today. Last I checked the game was on sale for 20 bucks for PSN users. This is, again, the most fun multiplayer competitive experience I've had. Ever. Bleeding them out and tearing their throats with my teeth as a Shaman, or stomping around as the hulking Shugoki and finishing people with one huge swing of my club. There're a lot of ways to play the game but they all leave you feeling like a sword-god.

Also the devs are constantly tweaking and retooling for balanced game play. Regular dev streams on twitch going over upcoming changes and in-game events.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:18 pm 

Should have released on PC, then I'd be able to play it.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:19 pm 

I might check that out for $20.

I'm not a huge co-op guy though.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:22 pm 

I've always thought of co-op as PvE. I play 4v4 PvP, mostly Dominion and CTF (Tribute, here).

Its on every platform I just don't care about PC players :lol:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:23 pm 

Oh, so it is. I remember on launch it was PS4 only, I had no idea they released a PC version. At this point it's too late I guess, I just don't care about For Honor :lol:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:18 pm 

Pretty sure For Honor was multiplat on day 1...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:57 pm 

Seriously? I don't think so because I remember wanting to get it reeeeal bad when it was advertised and I have a very distinct memory of being disappointed by the fact that I couldn't. If I'm wrong I don't even know why I thought that, then.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:52 am 

I looked it up, there's only one single world-wide release date. And I don't recall any timed exclusivity deals whatsoever anyway. Sounds like your overactive imagination was acting up again ;)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:42 am 

Super excited for Rage 2... except for the idea that it's open world. I'm so sick of open world games. I don't have time for that shit. Not everything needs to be an over-sized open world title.

Also, with the amount of information that's come out ahead of time, E3 looks like it's set to be rather banal this year. Borderlands 3 condfirmed--to not be there. Rage 2--already shown. And vomit-inducing rumors that Nintendo is squandering Retro Studios on... a StarFox racing game. I really hope it's not as bad as it looks. I'd previously heard murmurs that Retro was working on Eternal Darkness, which, if true, would have sold me Switch the moment it was confirmed.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:25 am 

I still don't have a Switch, but the desire is slowly creeping it's way in.

The new Smash Bros might be the last straw for me.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:12 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
E3 looks like it's set to be rather banal this year

Shadows Die Twice, though!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:36 pm 

I dunno. I'm looking forward to Battlefield V confirmation (hoping it's not WWII themed), news on Division 2, and if there's anything about GTFO.

darkeningday wrote:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:25 am 

Ys VIII, like any good recent Falcom game, just never fucking ends. Epilogue after the last boss, because of course. And now after the credits, post-game dungeon and raids because of course. Starting to think I won't be done with that game in time for Dark Souls remastered... :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:24 pm 

Any interest in Vampyr, from the French devs of Life is Strange and Remember Me? The former had good writing while the latter had good combat (iirc morrigan's review) so you'd think this would be the best of both worlds, but I'm not exactly blown away? Love the setting, but combat looks like Witcher 3 (i.e. NOT GOOD) and the writing seems really banal. You can see a one hour stream of the game by the devs here:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/262365105 (starts at around the 15 minute mark)

What do you guys think? At the very least, it's nice to see the AA RPG is back and here to stay.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:36 pm 

I'm interested enough to want to check it out because I like cool vampire shit, which this seems it just might turn out to be.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:43 am 

I never said the combat in Remember Me was good, lol. I've always called it "serviceable at best". I enjoyed Remember Me for the story and aesthetic, not the gameplay. (And because it was free...)

I hope Vampyr is good but I haven't watched recent footage, I'll admit...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:13 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

"New" Smash Bros.

If you're going to get a Switch, though, might as well get on that soon. Nintendo's history is largely one of piss-poor 3rd party support and offerings because of their garbage fanbase (with a history hostile to 3rd parties) and the numerous limitations their consoles have. They'll get some support the first couple years and then it will plummet like it has on all their machines ever since the N64.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:14 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
E3 looks like it's set to be rather banal this year

Shadows Die Twice, though!

I'll be surprised if that appears at E3. They made it sound like they wouldn't reveal anything else until towards the end of 2018.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:32 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

"New" Smash Bros.

If you're going to get a Switch, though, might as well get on that soon. Nintendo's history is largely one of piss-poor 3rd party support and offerings because of their garbage fanbase (with a history hostile to 3rd parties) and the numerous limitations their consoles have. They'll get some support the first couple years and then it will plummet like it has on all their machines ever since the N64.

The way people talk about the Mario/Zelda games it almost sounds like they're worth it alone.

I'd love to play some online smash brothers/break the controller while getting my ass handed to me by some 12 year old in Japan.

Gornot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:19 pm 

Looking forward to completely ignoring Black Ops 4 this year since there's no SP lol
Though tbh I've stopped giving a shit about COD a long time ago.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:37 pm 

Has anyone tried the new co-op mode on Stardew Valley?

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:00 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

The way people talk about the Mario/Zelda games it almost sounds like they're worth it alone.

I'd love to play some online smash brothers/break the controller while getting my ass handed to me by some 12 year old in Japan.

It really depends on the Mario and Zelda games. If you're talking Wii U, then no, they were not worth buying the Wii U, since all of those games were either marginally different or they were just available on a different console. If you've been playing Nintendo games as long as I have (since the NES), either you're a huge fan that will buy them regardless, or you've been there/done that enough times that it's kinda... eh. The formulas do not change all that much.

Actually, the Mario and Zelda games on the GameCube were the weakest in Nintendo's history to that point (yeah, yeah, Wind Waker was gorgeous, but it was color-by-numbers Zelda). The GC was worth owning because of all the other stuff Nintendo (and third parties) delivered then: Eternal Darkness, Pikmin, F-Zero GX, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime 1 &2, Smash Bros Melee, Fire Emblem; Rogue Squadron 2 & 3, Ikaruga, Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur II, Resident Evil Remake, Zero, and 4, Viewtiful Joe, Killer7, etc.

I've been through Mario's play and feel enough that I rarely need to play a new game. It's like the old cliche of "you only need to listen to a few seconds of a song" to know how the rest of the music from a performer sounds. That's how I see Mario games now. After the first few levels, the rest of it is largely predictable. Fun still, but we've played it all before.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:59 pm 

Breath of the Wild alone is a perfectly good reason to buy a Switch. Mario Odyssey, on the other hand, was actually a bit of a letdown for me, in spite of all the insane praise it got. It was an absolute blast while I was playing it, but it was pretty short and the endgame stuff really didn't interest me. It's worth getting if you have a Switch, but it's not worth buying a system for.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:28 pm 

I'd totally recommend a Switch if you're keen to drop $400 AUD on in-house franchises that never really made it out of the 16-bit era without a whooole heap of stinkers, or third-party games that you've already played on ps3/ps4/350/xbone/pc and that nintendo only grudgingly let through in some weird show of pretending they care about anything other than peddling mario/zelda/smash bros to fanboys.

Or hooo boy new Pokemon games! Cause I'm a fkn 34 year old man who likes cartoons for tweens and collects plushy pikachu toys.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:23 am 

Razakel wrote:
Breath of the Wild alone is a perfectly good reason to buy a Switch. Mario Odyssey, on the other hand, was actually a bit of a letdown for me, in spite of all the insane praise it got. It was an absolute blast while I was playing it, but it was pretty short and the endgame stuff really didn't interest me. It's worth getting if you have a Switch, but it's not worth buying a system for.

By that argument, Breath of the Wild alone is a perfectly good reason to buy a Wii U.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:46 am 

By all means, definitely. You could probably find a used Wii U for cheap now. But if you can afford the extra cost I'd recommend to anyone who doesn't have either system to go with the Switch. Playing that game on handheld mode was one of the best gaming experiences of my life.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:43 pm 

Razakel wrote:
By all means, definitely. You could probably find a used Wii U for cheap now. But if you can afford the extra cost I'd recommend to anyone who doesn't have either system to go with the Switch. Playing that game on handheld mode was one of the best gaming experiences of my life.

Okay, so far Nintendo fanboys (not saying you are one, just noting*) have failed to answer me on this.

How is playing an epic, sweeping adventure game like Zelda improved by playing it on a fucking bus? How does that not harm immersion? How does that not create interruptions? How is that a better game play experience? Because at no point in my gaming history have I ever played some vast, impressive game and thought to myself, "you know what would make this better? Playing on a much smaller screen, with a lower resolution, on a technically weaker platform, with the sound off/muted/easily disrupted, in a public place, with the glare of the sun, and either an elbow in my ribs or bugs on my face."

I already have the Wii U, and at some point I'll get the Switch. But I don't see how it magically makes games better to play.

*I used to be a Nintendo fanboy, and the company has burned me out. I know much of how they think, but even I'm having trouble getting my head around "inferior but portable somehow makes games better."

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:58 pm 

Haha, you raise a good point!

I was completely unsold on the portability aspect before the Switch came out - I thought it looked like a dumb gimmick that I would never use. But now that it's been out for more than a year and I have one, I have to say that I play it in handheld mode more than I play it docked on my TV. Having said that, I've never played it on a bus or in a park or anywhere outside in public. There's just something about lying supine on your couch, wrapped in blankets, gaming in handheld mode with a pair of good headphones, or doing the same thing in your bed. If that doesn't sound appealing to you, then fair enough, but I love it.

It's also come in handy on a lot of occasions like when I'd be playing on the TV in my old apartment and my roommate would come in and want to watch a movie or whatever, and I could just take it out of the dock and keep playing, or go over to my girlfriend's house who didn't have a TV. So, sure, playing in handheld mode doesn't automatically make the gaming experience superior, but I really like having the option. I'm sure there are plenty of Switch owners who exclusively play it docked on the TV.

I was honestly really skeptical even when I bought it, but the truth is I like the system a lot more than I thought I would. Having said that, it's been collecting dust for the past couple months because it simply doesn't have a good variety of games yet (and the fact they're apparently straight-up not releasing the Virtual Console on the Switch honestly makes me hate Nintendo). I wouldn't consider myself a Nintendo fanboy, but I've followed them over the years. I also have a PS4 which I play more than my Switch, but these days I'm admittedly a fairly "casual gamer" who plays maybe 4 or 5 video games a year.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:04 am 

Battlefield V is confirmed as being set in WWII. Yawwwwnnnnnnn...

darkeningday wrote:

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:58 am 

Razakel wrote:
Haha, you raise a good point!

I was completely unsold on the portability aspect before the Switch came out - I thought it looked like a dumb gimmick that I would never use. But now that it's been out for more than a year and I have one, I have to say that I play it in handheld mode more than I play it docked on my TV. Having said that, I've never played it on a bus or in a park or anywhere outside in public. There's just something about lying supine on your couch, wrapped in blankets, gaming in handheld mode with a pair of good headphones, or doing the same thing in your bed. If that doesn't sound appealing to you, then fair enough, but I love it.

It's also come in handy on a lot of occasions like when I'd be playing on the TV in my old apartment and my roommate would come in and want to watch a movie or whatever, and I could just take it out of the dock and keep playing, or go over to my girlfriend's house who didn't have a TV. So, sure, playing in handheld mode doesn't automatically make the gaming experience superior, but I really like having the option. I'm sure there are plenty of Switch owners who exclusively play it docked on the TV.

I was honestly really skeptical even when I bought it, but the truth is I like the system a lot more than I thought I would. Having said that, it's been collecting dust for the past couple months because it simply doesn't have a good variety of games yet (and the fact they're apparently straight-up not releasing the Virtual Console on the Switch honestly makes me hate Nintendo). I wouldn't consider myself a Nintendo fanboy, but I've followed them over the years. I also have a PS4 which I play more than my Switch, but these days I'm admittedly a fairly "casual gamer" who plays maybe 4 or 5 video games a year.

I have... a lot... of portable systems. They're a focus right now in my collecting (I must have bought over a dozen Game Gear games in the past month), and I do enjoy the ability to just fire them up if someone else is using the main TV, like my girlfriend or my son. And to be fair, I can see the advantage of this on the Switch. I have not found the system to be terribly comfortable to hold in my time with it thus far (a friend has it and likes to show us new stuff on it), and the Wii U could be used in a similar capacity for a lot of games--I just very rarely used it that way.

My PS4 is on literally every day, even if I'm just using it for streaming (easier to navigate on there than on my TV), and I suspect when I have the Switch, that will not change. I had a bit of a windfall from closing an account last winter and considered upgrading to a PS4 Pro or getting a Switch. Ultimately, I went with the one I knew I'd actually use regularly (and my original PS4 has a wonky disk drive).

To be fair, because I was a Nintendo fanboy and I outgrew it, comments that sound like the old fanboy rhetoric just irk me. All fanboys are terrible, but Nintendo has a history of having the worst. They are the only gamers who will actually champion not having games on their console, oblivious that missing a title like Call of Duty, whether they like it or not, ultimately makes the system overall weaker. Absurd justifications like "it's better to play Zelda in the glaring sun or near a urinating hobo by a bus stop" make me groan. This just sounds like the old Nintendo fanboy rigmarole where they can't come up with valid reasons to champion the hardware, so they pretend stupid or ridiculous things are somehow worth celebrating.

I'm glad you're enjoying it for reasonably valid reasons!

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:59 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I have... a lot... of portable systems. They're a focus right now in my collecting (I must have bought over a dozen Game Gear games in the past month), and I do enjoy the ability to just fire them up if someone else is using the main TV, like my girlfriend or my son.

Do you collect only official portable systems, or have you gone down the rabbit hole for portables for emulators? I tried to get my hands on the GCW Zero a few months back. They appear to only make then in select stock, and I have no idea if they still make them because they can't be found at any of the authorized dealers. If you're interested in adding to your collection, Neo Geo is supposed to be coming out with a portable system to play some of those old Neo Geo games.

Currently playing through Tomb Raider 2013. I love just about everything about this game. The traversing and collectible-hunting is a blast, and the puzzles are simple and quick enough to keep up the pace of the game. On the note of pacing, the game does an excellent job breaking up the open, exploratory elements of the game with the occasional Uncharted-style setpiece as well as the puzzles, and I think it all just gels really well together. I'm still dipping my toes into Frontier Defense Mode for TitanFall 2 that has provided me endless hours of entertainment. The player-count has held relatively steady, thank god.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 847, 848, 849, 850, 851, 852, 853 ... 940  Next