Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:13 pm 

"Our Tenth full length album ‘A New Kind Of Horror’ will be released through Metal Blade Records on 28th September.
When writing about A New Kind Of Horror in the record’s liner notes, Anaal Nathrakh vocalist Dave Hunt is succinct in his description: “This is not a happy album, it is bitter, vengeful, sarcastic, sardonic, violent, terrified and horrified, terrifying and horrifying in equal measure. Above all, it is human, and all that that entails. It’s as sincere as we could make it.” Those exposed to the ten tracks comprising the band’s tenth full-length will be unable to deny the truth to these words, for lyrically, musically and sonically it is a punishing listen mired in darkness and seething with raw emotion. With multi-instrumentalist Mick Kenney pushing their distinctive hybrid of symphonic black metal, death metal, industrial and grindcore ever forward, Hunt draws lyrical inspiration primarily from the horrors of the First World War, contemporary politics, and the letters of D.H. Lawrence, creating one of the most powerful, timely and unique releases of 2018. “There’s a lot that goes into our albums, of course, but it all comes about as a natural result of who we are, and for A New Kind of Horror we felt early on that it was clearly its own thing. It doesn’t have to stand in comparison with anything, because to us it’s in a class of its own.”

I can't fucking wait for this new album. Every single release that they came out with so far is just exceptional. It could be stated that I'm really not as big a fan as I used to be concerning Anaal Nathrakh. Although, I know this album is going to kick ass.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:43 pm 

"This is not a happy album"

OH REALLY?

Yeah, can't wait. Didn't really care for Desideratum and Vanitas but The Whole of the Law rekindled my enthusiasm. That's a great album and sadly it seems to be a bit overlooked.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:00 pm 

The only reason Desideratum wasn't appreciated was due to the fact that they used industrial elements more often. I can honestly say that Desideratum is their weakest album but it wasn't that bad.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:11 pm 

in the constellation... was a masterpiece, and all the previous albums are great as well, but they went down hill fast after that imo - the industrial stuff got way overbearing, and the songwriting hasn't been up to par in a long time

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:20 pm 

joppek wrote:
in the constellation... was a masterpiece, and all the previous albums are great as well, but they went down hill fast after that imo - the industrial stuff got way overbearing, and the songwriting hasn't been up to par in a long time

In the Constellation of the Black Widows was fucking excellent. Actually, I thought the Whole of the Law exceeded my expectations, it was quite an release. The vocals are just so goddamn extreme man and I think that the vocals are what I love about Anaal Nathrakh. Dave Hunt, whether it is harsh or clean, just annihilates on every song. Overall, AN is literally necro.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:49 pm 

Not a happy album? What the hell? I was looking forward to a new album from this band, but if they aren't switching styles from brutal black metal to melodic power metal you can count me OUT!

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:58 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Not a happy album? What the hell? I was looking forward to a new album from this band, but if they aren't switching styles from brutal black metal to melodic power metal you can count me OUT!

:lol:

I don't think that will ever happen! You shouldn't have to worry about that transition, seriously.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:09 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:

:lol:

I don't think that will ever happen! You shouldn't have to worry about that transition, seriously.

Seriously, I think they could pull it off if they wanted to. They got the grandiosity aspect needed for it.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:44 pm 

Henkkjelle, I don't think Anaal Nathrakh could pull of a power metal move. It would take a miracle for that to happen. Power metal basically is the Dungeons & Dragons of metal. When you refer to the "grandiosity aspect" I know that you are saying that they are talented enough to pull a change off like that. It's possible that they could pull a stunt like that, but I think they would lose a lot of metalheads. Also, based on my opinion, I think their music would be mediocre if they started to release power metal albums.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:32 pm 

Not sure about power metal, but Mick Kenny would probably fit in with a couple of melodic black metal bands like Necrophobic or Naglfar. Still dark but with an epic twist in the guitar melodies. Anyone who hasn’t heard Anaal Nathrakh’s cover of “Powerslave” should check that out to get some idea. I mean it’s still very AN sounding, but it’s also an Iron Maiden cover.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:47 am 

There's already quite a lot of melodic power/speed-metal style riffs in their work though. Take, oh, I don't know, Lama Sabachthani.

Wish they'd release lyrics though, to be honest.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:34 pm 

I hadn't played these guys in years. Blasting Codex Necro now and it's definitely a ruthless fucking album. Effective for sure... got to catch up on them soon.

I remember some stuff off Black Widow had some clean vocals bellowing out choruses that could sound more melodic. They were never pigeonholed into just one thing.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:04 pm 

I lost count how many AN albums we've had since the last Benediction album. It's starting to become funny almost.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:17 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I hadn't played these guys in years. Blasting Codex Necro now and it's definitely a ruthless fucking album. Effective for sure... got to catch up on them soon.

I remember some stuff off Black Widow had some clean vocals bellowing out choruses that could sound more melodic. They were never pigeonholed into just one thing.

Empyreal, Domine Non Es Dignus is so much better than The Codex Necro.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:53 am 

I've got a lot of catching up to do when it comes to their discography. Last one I bought was ...Constellation.... I guess there's some truth to time going faster the older you get; the last few years are starting to become a big blur.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:40 pm 

I used to be a huge fan of these guys, particularly their work on In the Constellation of the Black Widow and Hell Is Empty, And All the Devils Are Here. At some point, though, it kind of struck me how formulaic a lot of the songs are, especially on the former album-- the structures of the songs are nearly indistinguishable, the big soaring choruses are rad but get samey after a while... Between that realisation and the disappointment of Vanitas and Desideratum, Anaal Nathrakh fell off my radar hard. Maybe I'll use this upcoming album as an opportunity to check back in and see if fresh materiel will draw me back to AN.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:07 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
I used to be a huge fan of these guys, particularly their work on In the Constellation of the Black Widow and Hell Is Empty, And All the Devils Are Here. At some point, though, it kind of struck me how formulaic a lot of the songs are, especially on the former album-- the structures of the songs are nearly indistinguishable, the big soaring choruses are rad but get samey after a while... Between that realisation and the disappointment of Vanitas and Desideratum, Anaal Nathrakh fell off my radar hard. Maybe I'll use this upcoming album as an opportunity to check back in and see if fresh materiel will draw me back to AN.

Well they actually did try something new when the released Desideratum. Not many fans liked that album and I guess because it was due to the industrial techniques.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:16 pm 

New track is online: https://www.facebook.com/metalbladerecords/videos/10156576261724886/
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:44 pm 

I've seen some discontent online but I'm really enjoying this track. Sounds like a cross between Meshuggah and Nails, and as always the vocals are great. Dave sounds more pissed than he has in a long time. Being that AN may be my overall favorite band ever, I pre-ordered this already

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:40 pm 

Church13 wrote:
I've seen some discontent online but I'm really enjoying this track. Sounds like a cross between Meshuggah and Nails, and as always the vocals are great. Dave sounds more pissed than he has in a long time. Being that AN may be my overall favorite band ever, I pre-ordered this already

I used to be so damn big into Anaal Nathrakh. I think I could've been there number one fan; this new track is good and I can't wait to hear the rest of the album!

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:56 pm 

Track is okay. Doesn't have me particularly excited or worried.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:25 pm 

New track is pretty boring to me, but it might fit in better as part of the whole thing. Certainly hasn't got me overly excited though

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:33 am 

Ew, what's up with that syncopated metalcore riffing? There's probably nothing in metal that turns me off more. Gross.

Is syncopated even the right word? Probably not. But it's gross.

MegaMal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:39 am 

New track is garbage. All downhill since Vanitas for me.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:42 am 

Runko wrote:
Ew, what's up with that syncopated metalcore riffing? There's probably nothing in metal that turns me off more. Gross.

Is syncopated even the right word? Probably not. But it's gross.

They’ve been doing that since In the Constellation, 5 albums ago.

TheConqueror1 wrote:
Church13 wrote:

I used to be so damn big into Anaal Nathrakh. I think I could've been there number one fan; this new track is good and I can't wait to hear the rest of the album!

If you’ve missed any of the recent albums, the last one The Whole of the Law, was one of their best and the one previous, Desideratum was one of their worst but still worth listening if you’re that big a fan

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:23 am 

Yeah that was pretty disappointing. Darn.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:17 am 

This sounds like one of those Warped Tour electro-metalcore bands trying to play black metal, despite having never heard it before. What a pile of unlistenable garbage.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:53 am 

Blegh. What a disappointment after the excellent The Whole of the Law. Not liking it at all. By the way, to everyone that hasn't been liking the more recent batch of albums and therefore decided not to give The Whole of the Law a chance (seems like a lot of people ignored it) listen to it. It's much, much better than the two albums before it and leagues better than that new song.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:18 pm 

HideYourHole wrote:
Track is okay. Doesn't have me particularly excited or worried.

Kinda where I'm at. Probably the random slow track on the album. Doesn't really tell us much about the album as a whole. Probably would've gotten the same reaction if "Extravaganza" (which has grown to be one of my favorites from that album) was released first from the last album, though to be fair that song is more dynamic than this one.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:49 pm 

You know the first thought that came to mind was that the track had a "metal-corish" quality. Then I Iistened to the song for a second time and changed my mind. I guess first impression is always the last, ehh...

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:56 pm 

It’s also worth pointing out that Anaal Nathrakh seems to usually put out the worst track on the album as the first single, for whatever reason. Remember Depravity Favours the Bold?

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:03 pm 

Nothing really touches Nathrakh's first three. I've been saying they found their formula, and began stagnation, ever since Hell Is Empty... came out and confirmed their career was going to be about rewriting Eschaton as many times as possible.

But then, that's just metal ain't it?

MegaMal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:37 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Blegh. What a disappointment after the excellent The Whole of the Law. Not liking it at all. By the way, to everyone that hasn't been liking the more recent batch of albums and therefore decided not to give The Whole of the Law a chance (seems like a lot of people ignored it) listen to it. It's much, much better than the two albums before it and leagues better than that new song.

Thanks for that, I've just given it a listen and it's much better than Desideratum which put me right off them.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:28 am 

I dig the riffs and believe they can be used cleverly in an Anaal Nathrakh song, but I don't like how they structure the entire song around these riffs. Anaal Nathrakh basically flips a switch between a beatdown-paced hardcore riff and an orchestral build-up. I can already hear the vocalist yelling "alright boys you guys are the sickest fuckin' crowd ever. GET READY TO THROWDOWN" during the orchestral parts.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:59 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:04 pm 

I thought it was good. I appreciate the anti-British nationalistic nostalgia stuff in the lyrics. Bit like Carcass did on Surgical Steel with the wonderful Master Butcher's Apron. Extreme metal taking on Brexit? Yes please.

xenon8247
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:17 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
This is not a happy album

SHIT! Thanks so much for the clarification, naturally I was expecting 40 minutes of Tiny Tim covers.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:01 pm 

xenon8247 wrote:
TheConqueror1 wrote:
This is not a happy album

SHIT! Thanks so much for the clarification, naturally I was expecting 40 minutes of Tiny Tim covers.

Well, I didn't make that statement and your sarcasm just made you look like kind of dumb.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:41 pm 

Amazon has 30 second snippets of every song up. I won't judge based on them but they seem to have started using King Diamond esque falsetto vocals at times.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:49 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
xenon8247 wrote:

Well, I didn't make that statement and your sarcasm just made you look like kind of dumb.

I mean, this guy is necroing old threads in the Rec forum so I think we can just write him off as an idiot regardless.

Checking out the samples. Seems that "Forward!" really isn't that indicative of the entirety of the album after all. Seems like business as usual, which is good enough for me when it comes to this band.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next