Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:44 am 

TrooperEd wrote:
Never mind that shit, KK is so strapped for cash he's selling his royalty rights:

https://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/record-labels/8456570/rights-to-130-judas-priest-tracks-up-for-sale-after

This is the most depressing news since Lemmy died. :(

Well that explains why he was so "shocked and saddened" that he wasn't asked back to Priest. He knew the writing was on the wall that he was going to be going broke soon, and Priest would have seemed his only opportunity to keep himself afloat.

Now what's he going to do? He's probably going to have to work until the day he dies to afford living and medical expenses.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:21 am 

Article wrote:
The next part of the bankruptcy process involves the sale of Downing's share of the royalty rights

Does this mean he's forced to sell it?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:32 am 

I have a feeling those royalty rights were part of the loan he made to buy the golf course. When it went south, he lost them.

I feel bad for him but I also thought this was a highly risky endeavor and wasn't surprised it went south.

No way the value of those songs will go up over time. Bad investment.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:24 pm 

Not sure how things weren't looking good for the band in 2009. Maybe Nostradamus got a bad reception but they went on that British Steel full album tour and people seemed to be cool with it again. We all thought the band was retiring with the Epitaph tour so maybe he was just sick of Jayne and just decided to retire early.

I think the band should bring KK back out of a) human decency, b) Andy Sneap really doesn't belong there. Doesn't he have a bunch generic cookie-cutter bands to overproduce?
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:58 pm 

Yeah, a reconciliation with KK would be in the both the band and KK's best interests.

He didn't part on bad terms, unlike Rob ... so bringing him back should be easier.

Thought it would be weird seeing KK and KK Jr. playing on the same stage together wearing similar outfits and playing similar guitars.

gizzard_puke
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:43 pm 

I feel for KK he's a decent old chap and it sucks for this to happen especially now after all that's gone on. That being said... golf resort... it's a niche activity isn't it? Hardly stuff for the masses to enjoy... and every golf fan I've ever known has been a complete wanker (only three people but it leaves an impression). He'd have been better off going into property development, or invested in stocks, or just banked it and lived off the interest... but what do I know I'm hardly Rockerfeller.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:46 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Yeah, a reconciliation with KK would be in the both the band and KK's best interests.

He didn't part on bad terms, unlike Rob ... so bringing him back should be easier.

Thought it would be weird seeing KK and KK Jr. playing on the same stage together wearing similar outfits and playing similar guitars.

I'd like to see it happen, but it seems they can get away with hiring KK Jr to play both lots of leads with Sneap throwing in some of Glen's easier solos for less money.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:29 pm 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/can-ju ... -ian-hill/

They may try the kiss franchise approach. If people accept Andy Sneap replacing tipton, they're ready to accept anything.

Last edited by Temple Of Blood on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:35 am 

I don't think the KISS route would work the same for Judas Priest. KISS has a gimmick they lean into heavily with the masks and all, and for a lot of the fan's I feel the spectacle and show outweigh songs and talent. Priest did exist without Rob, true, but it still had the other core members.

This is some ship of Theseus shit right here.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:25 pm 

It's a model that works in Japan. They have the Mk 1, Mk 2 etc etc era of their own bands. Sure, the band would lose any credibility they still had, which is eroding so quickly at this point as it is. It's a logical step for a money making machine.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:24 am 

Cheapsteaks wrote:
I don't think the KISS route would work the same for Judas Priest. KISS has a gimmick they lean into heavily with the masks and all, and for a lot of the fan's I feel the spectacle and show outweigh songs and talent.

That's true.

But I can see the classic songs outweighing the allure of the band itself though, especially if sanctioned/produced by the original band.

It retains a bit more authenticity than a hologram, and I guess we'll see how profitable that "Dio" tour ends up being.

Quote:
Priest did exist without Rob, true, but it still had the other core members.

This is some ship of Theseus shit right here.

As bands age the boundaries and tolerance of the fanbase will be tested. So far "Judas Priest" is pretty much only Rob Halford and folks have accepted it with open arms around the world.

Quote:
It's a model that works in Japan. They have the Mk 1, Mk 2 etc etc era of their own bands. Sure, the band would lose any credibility they still had, which is eroding so quickly at this point as it is. It's a logical step for a money making machine.

Exactly. Why assume that every market around the world has the same tolerance for such things? Even if they die out in the States maybe Japan/South America/etc. would have no problem with it.

As it stands now, I think no one would care if everyone except Halford was replaced. If Halford passed the baton to Ripper Owens for another 15 years or so I think it would divide the fanbase but probably not enough to kill this band's commercial potential.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:18 pm 

If they do another "Ripper" situation I feel the replacement would be someone from a small lesser known band, or a total upstart, so not Ripper or Scheepers. It would get more press that way.

And that's a good point, with a band like Priest where the classics and songs are the big draw, they could attempt to pull off a whole new band. It would alienate some fans, definitely, but they could probably hold on to enough on name basis.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:28 pm 

Cheapsteaks wrote:
If they do another "Ripper" situation I feel the replacement would be someone from a small lesser known band, or a total upstart, so not Ripper or Scheepers. It would get more press that way.

You're probably right, but in 1996 how many guys could really pull off singing a full JP set? In 20xx the field of replacements will be even worse IMHO.

Plus by then Ripper will be totally bald and might pass for Halford if you dressed him the same and squinted from the back row. Just like KK Jr. currently on stage with "Judas Priest".

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:50 pm 

Cheapsteaks wrote:
with a band like Priest where the classics and songs are the big draw, they could attempt to pull off a whole new band. It would alienate some fans, definitely, but they could probably hold on to enough on name basis.

Wouldn't that be "Judas Priest - The Musical"?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:34 am 

Opus wrote:
Cheapsteaks wrote:
with a band like Priest where the classics and songs are the big draw, they could attempt to pull off a whole new band. It would alienate some fans, definitely, but they could probably hold on to enough on name basis.

I think that would be when they adapt KK Downing's book and put it on ice.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:56 pm 

Opus wrote:
Cheapsteaks wrote:

starring Mark Wahlberg

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:18 am 

God, I have not even seen that movie Rock Star, but doesn't it leave with the "Ripper" character leaving the Judas Priest stand in hair metal band for some mumbly alt rock thing while the hair metal band dies out or something weird.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:03 pm 

Cheapsteaks wrote:
God, I have not even seen that movie Rock Star, but doesn't it leave with the "Ripper" character leaving the Judas Priest stand in hair metal band for some mumbly alt rock thing while the hair metal band dies out or something weird.

Something like that. Jennifer Anniston also opens a coffee shop around that time, which makes me think she ended up being the most profitable of all of them.

More discussion: http://www.earwolf.com/episode/rock-star-live/

Last edited by Temple Of Blood on Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:05 pm 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/k-k-do ... beginning/

Quote:
I don't remember exactly when the thought first entered my head, but I can remember thinking on more than a few occasions, 'You know, I'm really not sure about our image…' On reflection, I think JUDAS PRIEST had a bit of an identity crisis from the beginning. There was always a bit of a question mark about the band's look. To me, it never seemed to say anything — and in the earliest days of our career, I suppose I actually saw that as a good thing

To me the leather look was the most iconic metal look there ever was, so I'm not sure what he means there. Musically they changed so much that it was sometimes hard to say if a song had a definitively "Judas Priest" sound, but to me that was a good thing. I love the versatility.

Flem Clone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:35 pm 

He's referring to the pre-leather/biker days. They didn't have a cohesive or trademark look until they hit upon the leather style.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:02 pm 

Just listened to this after a long lay off. Man what a massive drum sound. Huge.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:18 pm 

KK Downing is well and truly broke, he's now selling his guitars...

https://www.bonhams.com/search/?q=downi ... s%20priest

I honestly feel sorry for the dude, esp as I'm in the middle of reading his autobiography...

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:58 pm 

Fuck, I'm really considering going for one of those amps. Don't think I can swing it though.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:13 am 

aloof wrote:

I honestly feel sorry for the dude, esp as I'm in the middle of reading his autobiography...

Interesting read eh?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:48 am 

the dude doesn't know how to tell a story :/ but yes, very interesting, in spite, or maybe because, of that... :D

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:59 am 

aloof wrote:
the dude doesn't know how to tell a story :/ but yes, very interesting, in spite, or maybe because, of that... :D

Stating the obvious but given we don't actually know the people involved we will never know the truth. Found it odd he says he went through the 80s fucking every bird he could but never touched cocaine. In saying so, it is interesting reading and whilst I don't enjoy their music save for the second album, I actually now think Def Leppard are ripping blokes. Haha. I read it immediately after finishing Dickinson's book - what a contrast.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:24 pm 

I have no words

Spoiler: show

I finished it now, overall I still feel sorry for the dude. going through all that and now, at retirement age, to have to sell practically everything is a real shame. but he's an idiot in so many ways... :/

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:55 pm 

Kk is not an idiot and Nostradamus is far better than the previous two albums.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:13 am 

aloof wrote:

Oof.

Why is this stuff so cheap? $880-1200AU for the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier he used to record the 90s albums, when it costs $2999AU for a new one? I guess it's an auction, but why not start it at market value?

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:28 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
aloof wrote:

Oof.

Why is this stuff so cheap? $880-1200AU for the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier he used to record the 90s albums, when it costs $2999AU for a new one? I guess it's an auction, but why not start it at market value?

I don't think that's the opening bid, it's the expected price. Bonham's will know what they're doing with this stuff.

Actually, I used to go there occasionally to touch old master paintings I couldn't ever afford (although Sotheby's and Christie's are the big two, Bonham's are like the second place, but above all the smaller London art dealers around Bond Street). I'm supposed to go to London next week. If I go to Bonham's I wonder if they'll let me play Diamonds and Rust on one of KK's guitars? (The thing is, they dont know whether you have money to bid...)

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:09 pm 

$189,000

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/k-k-do ... n-auction/

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:40 am 

Blabbermouth wrote:
Earlier this year, Downing sold his share of the royalty rights to 136 of JUDAS PRIEST's tracks ... Downing's catalog share generates between $340,000 and $400,000 per year in royalties.

How bad of a business man is he?
With those royalties he was set for life.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:03 am 

One with several hundreds of thousands dollars of debt, unfortunately :(

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:30 am 

Richie Newkid has online spat with Joe Bluesamassa:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/judas- ... poilt-tit/

this is the lead-up to a new TV show like "The Osbournes", but with Judas Priest instead, I swear... :/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16