Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:45 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Marco's Satan review duly snagged the words outta my mouth! But what indeed is a DeLorean btw?

Oh, thanks Metantoine, for, indirectly, once again, steering me towards a wicked band album in Tales of Medusa's The Fatal Wounded Gaze...is that your highest ever, at 98%? It appears so...or am I wrong?

You can easily find it out by clicking a button, dear chairthesaurus!
Spoiler: show

Marco is pretty good despite his unfortunate edgy monicker.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

DesecratorJ
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:06 pm 

I just hit the 50th review mark, I know it's not big of an achievement, but i'm still happy to have done it!

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:26 pm 

Congratulations :)

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:37 pm 

DesecratorJ wrote:
I just hit the 50th review mark, I know it's not big of an achievement, but i'm still happy to have done it!

It's a very respectable achievement, most who attempt reviewing here don't get that far, and I did a comparison in the amount of time it took you to get to 50 and it's about the same amount of time that it took me, and your stuff is better than what made up most of my first 50.

Congrats. :beer:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:53 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Marco's Satan review duly snagged the words outta my mouth! But what indeed is a DeLorean btw?

Isn't that some time-machinery thing from some movie or other? I know I'm being vague and speaking with absolutely zero knowledge of sci-fi, but it rings a bell somehow. Maybe it's from Back to the Future or similar? Someone help a brother out...

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:38 am 

The DeLorean was a type of car from back in the early 80s, that was known for its low-profile, stainless-steel body and its doors, which opened vertically not horizontally (like in most cars). In the Back to the Future series, one of the main characters makes a time machine out of a DeLorean. Because of that franchise, nowadays when someone refers to a DeLorean, it's practically ubiquitous to saying "time machine."

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:42 pm 

People don't know what a DeLorean is? Who are they and why are they on my lawn?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:06 pm 

Superchard confounds me so much as a writer. He's got talent and can come up with a good point when he wants to, but boy does he like to ramble and his tastes are hard as hell to pinpoint when it comes to not thrash. Since when is Revelation (Mother Earth) boring?

DesecratorJ
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:42 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Congratulations :)

hells_unicorn wrote:
DesecratorJ wrote:

It's a very respectable achievement, most who attempt reviewing here don't get that far, and I did a comparison in the amount of time it took you to get to 50 and it's about the same amount of time that it took me, and your stuff is better than what made up most of my first 50.

Congrats. :beer:

Thanks for the kind words guys, i'll surely keep on writing more in the future and improve even more. Next goal is obviously 100, which I hope won't take as much time :P

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:03 pm 

Hey DesecratorJ (and fellow Quebecois)!

Goods stuff man, on hitting 50! I remember totally digging your Scanner_Hypertrace review, among others. I dig how you unearth and dust off old, salty German power metal and thrash and the like...As well, and this also applies to Metantoine (Tales of Medusa slays btw!), there's something to be said about francophones' quirky and jerkily endearing writing prose (as in, applying French syntax in English...). Anyhow, I also wanted to say, MA rocks as far as getting erudite straight dope on the latest releases, as many other sites lean way too much towards promotional hype and personal self-aggrandizing pursuits...

Oh, and Metantoine, I was asking early, is Tales of M's The Fatal Wounding Gaze, at 98%, your highest rated review ever or have you dispensed the elusive 99% and, gasp!, 100% (perfect score) at some point? In any case, it's a fucking great album and strongly suggest all you diligently rocking rivetheads to check 'er out...or else!

Thanks, all, for the scoop on the DeLorean (like the Knight rider's Kit, right?)

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:31 pm 

Forgot to mention, swell Haunt write-up, Leaf! Actually, I've been letting Burst Into Flame stew/marinate in ye olde brain pan for some time now but feel it's high time to (also and duly) give 'er a whirrrrl...(Just need to consolidate this Primitai_The Calling project first, for Grande-Rock...)

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:22 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Since when is Revelation (Mother Earth) boring?

Eh, it's not that spicy of a take. There are certain days when the first 4/5 of that song can be a chore to get through.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:10 am 

Chair: Thanks!
Ed: I absolutely love that song as well as the track following it. It's one of those perfect duos, if you ask me.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:12 am 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Ed: I absolutely love that song as well as the track following it. It's one of those perfect duos, if you ask me.

Like I said, there are certain days when all of Revelation is great, and there are days when you are waiting for Randy to wake up from his nap. Steal Away on the other hand, is brilliant every day of the week.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:29 am 

Yeah I'm actually with Ed on this one. With an album as stacked with enduring classics (VH1 blowjobees though they may be) as Blizzard of Ozz, it's really not hard to see why Revelation doesn't exactly stand as a highlight.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:24 am 

BastardHead wrote:
(VH1 blowjobees though they may be) as Blizzard of Ozz,

Give yourself a beer, you've finally said something that offends me.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:52 am 

TrooperEd wrote:
Give yourself a beer, you've finally said something that offends me.

:lol:

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:57 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Superchard confounds me so much as a writer. He's got talent and can come up with a good point when he wants to, but boy does he like to ramble and his tastes are hard as hell to pinpoint when it comes to not thrash. Since when is Revelation (Mother Earth) boring?

I do somewhat appreciate his style as well as his choice on stuff to cover, but he's sloppy, getting the names of artsts or albums wrong in his reviews. I should probably send him a message about this as I don't think he checks this thread. I came across his Faith No More We Care a Lot review last night and he referred to the album he was reviewing as The Real Thing at least a few times.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:28 am 

Whoa! Twisted_Psychology's on fyre, here!

Sweet take on the new Hessian (and thanks for the update, I'd recently gotten back into this Portland (Maine) "trailblazer" so I'm double duly enthralled). Nice to see Hitten covered as well...I'll need to check those rip-some Spaniards out!

(insert taradiddling madhatter/leprechaun emoj here s.v.p.!)

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:33 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Whoa! Twisted_Psychology's on fyre, here!

Sweet take on the new Hessian (and thanks for the update, I'd recently gotten back into this Portland (Maine) "trailblazer" so I'm double duly enthralled). Nice to see Hitten covered as well...I'll need to check those rip-some Spaniards out!

(insert taradiddling madhatter/leprechaun emoj here s.v.p.!)

I always forget that MA doesn't let you submit reviews before release date. I read some of those a little while ago when he originally posted them to Indy Metal Vault and was like "wait... I've seen this somewhere", haha.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:31 pm 

Really nice Deicide review, BastardHead. I've still only checked out whatever single it was they put out like a month ago, so I'm stoked to hear the album is such a beast. I'll be checking that out soon.

One thing I was thinking about while reading you heaping praise, though - have you forgotten that The Stench of Redemption exists? You call the new one their best album in 25 years but you gave Stench an even higher rating. Granted, that review is 10 years old and maybe you've changed your mind since.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 pm 

Thanks! I could've been clearer about that, yeah. I do offhandedly mention that Stench was great but I think the point I was hoping to make was that it was something of a weird fluke and it's mostly due to the new elements that Santolla brought to the table as opposed to Deicide as a whole getting their shit together, so for the purpose of the narrative of "Holy shit they're actually back", I treated it like an outlier. Either way, the point is that Stench and Overtures are now their only two worthwhile albums of the past twenty years.

As for rating Stench higher ten years ago, well using my rating scale, Overtures ranks as "2B's ass" and Stench as "Pie Hell", so glean from that what you will.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:34 am 

I came here to say pretty much that. I wasn't even gonna bother checking the new Deicide out until I read that. And I totally agree with the whole stench thing. Only thing I disagree with is the intro paragraph about how classic bands shouldn't put out new material. I actually think a lot of them hold up very well, and while they may not be as golden as their early days, it's still worthwhile. I never liked the idea of how older bands "should just hang it up already". If you like making music, then I say make it until you fall to your grave!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:33 am 

Cripes! It only took the better part of a long, rainy and weed-less night, but I finally managed rationally (as best I could!) edit/make legible - English please! - my friggin' Primitai-view...Apologies are in order for the poor head-banging souls unduly flummoxed and/or possibly irked by my messy, speed driven word barge...!

Oh, about to check out Tantara now, on phew! tube, if possible, Leaf!

Had I not rectified the above, there's a good chance the mods would've revoked my scribe status, no fooling! (I'll do my best to avoid rash, premature publication in the future, lads!)

Metal Rs (and floor wipes),

Chairburnt

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:51 pm 

It's a grand day indeed at the Archives whenever both Enforcer and Pentagram are lavished with well-read/spoken praise!

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:14 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Cripes! It only took the better part of a long, rainy and weed-less night, but I finally managed rationally (as best I could!) edit/make legible - English please! - my friggin' Primitai-view...Apologies are in order for the poor head-banging souls unduly flummoxed and/or possibly irked by my messy, speed driven word barge...!

Oh, about to check out Tantara now, on phew! tube, if possible, Leaf!

Had I not rectified the above, there's a good chance the mods would've revoked my scribe status, no fooling! (I'll do my best to avoid rash, premature publication in the future, lads!)

Metal Rs (and floor wipes),

Chairburnt

Ha, it happens. While nursing a hangover one day I went to this site and discovered that I wrote and submitted a review after I stumbled home the prior night. I didn't know what to do with that disaster.

I listened to that Burning Witches you reviewed, and you're pretty spot on. You'd think with all of their varying vocal styles, those Swiss ladies could've thrown in some serious yodels. I was disappointed that they didn't.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:56 pm 

I'd submitted the initial, majorly clap-trapped version Sunday night at the Vancouver Public Library (can't get wi-fi where I live - long story, it's retarded and has nothing to do with credit, but the fact there is no frigging wall jack in my dump of a SRO!) and when I got "home" (ha!) I reviewed what I'd sent - I always keep copies of my write-ups for latent editing, and for shits and giggles, that kind of stuff - and immediately, cringed and gasped, broke out in a cold sweat and cursed myself silly throughout an entire sleepless, stressed night, until 7am when I bolted out the door with my laptop to the VPL mezzanine (which opens early, before the actual library, and receives wi-fi) in order to (double duly) remedy the situation!

When it comes to stimulants, let me just say, less is more - lest you start slipping and tripping over a tsunami of swirling ideas and thoughts! Scribe status notwithstanding, I can just picture Dimhea - God rest his soul - wryly, perhaps even outraged so, send it back with a big, red "WTF, man?!?" Haha...

And thanks for the kind words regarding BWs...As I said, a few tracks legitimately rip - notably the "Jawbreakah" cover - and I've a feeling their sophomore will be efficiently polished and tidied up!

(regarding female fronted acts, any new suggestions on your part? Of late, I'm quite impressed with A Sound of Thunder (like the innocuous but kick-ass Bradbury (RIP) yarn!)

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:14 pm 

Oh, hey! Liquid_Braino! I just noticed, via your profile, you're one (1!) review (or similar band thumbs up, good for 3 points) away from ye olde seasoned veteran status (where one, lest they kick in full, maniacal gear, usually remains for what I imagine as a helluva long time, before reaching the next strata at, I believe, what is it, 5000 pts or so? Crikey!)

I also figured, because I am more often than not a willing victim/slave to google, as well as online thesauri - i.e. for Primitai, I "synonymed" every second freaking word (help!) - might have to resort from now on to writing my reviews by hand in a Canada book or something, in order to type them in at the end, once I feel the draft is immutable, as well as up to par...ah, life!

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:49 pm 

Today I shall raise the dead my glass to honor 730 and his highly entertaining review of Archspire's "Lucid..."
It really became superior when I got to the "Umea on acid"-part. Now, 730, I have to ask you on your opinion on the legendary SHIELD...(one of my eternal heroes, I'll never stop listening to them).

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:54 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
I also figured, because I am more often than not a willing victim/slave to google, as well as online thesauri - i.e. for Primitai, I "synonymed" every second freaking word (help!) - might have to resort from now on to writing my reviews by hand in a Canada book or something, in order to type them in at the end, once I feel the draft is immutable, as well as up to par...ah, life!

As fun as it is to play with your diction, and you know I love to slap mine around, reigning it in works pretty well to not come off as chillfully as this douche.

I think we all channel a bit of Klamer at some point in writing these reviews.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:03 am 

BH'S REVIEW KORNER: Don't use a thesaurus. If you can't convey what you want to say in your own words, read more so you learn more words naturally instead of sounding like a galaxy-brained doofus copypasting antiquated nonsense.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:06 am 

^
Seconded

I've written on this same thing before:
Quote:
Likewise, if you know you have issues with English don't try to overdo it and include fancy words and synonyms for the sake of it. This is a huge problem generally, even in predominantly anglophone societies. It's often seen as smart and sneaky to go into a thesaurus and find a fancier sounding synonym for a word that you've used, and it's true that English has many, many synonyms for words. However, the English language is nuanced, and some of these synonyms wont flow, sound right, or even be properly used in the context you might place them in. For example, "the guitars were terrible," has a slightly different understanding than "the guitars were offensive," "the guitars were shocking," "the guitars were awesome." All synonyms (!). All with varying meanings that change in context.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:08 pm 

Great advice, go fucking read.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:39 am 

Unless, of course, you want to sodomize a thesaurus and sound like this goddamn album.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:02 am 

I use a thesaurus all the time. My memory isn't so good, so it helps to find that word that's on the tip of my tongue. It's useful if I'm at risk of overusing a word or need a near synonym (or antonym). Because I'm well-read I can (usually) weed out the Google results that are not more suitable than the word I've already thought of, especially those that come off as pseudo-intellectual.

Orwell's "Never use a long word where a short one will do" is essential for communicating in professional life and should be driven home in middle school creative writing classes, when students are likely to mistake using big and obscure words for writing well. Still, I think people have wrongly taken this as gospel. Sometimes the polysyllabic and/or uncommon word better conveys your meaning. And sometimes a big word is a toy and you just want to play with it; test it out and see what you can do with it. Using "old" or "ancient" is generally the best option, but "hoary" has its place.

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:48 am 

Cat III wrote:
I use a thesaurus all the time. My memory isn't so good, so it helps to find that word that's on the tip of my tongue. It's useful if I'm at risk of overusing a word or need a near synonym (or antonym). Because I'm well-read I can (usually) weed out the Google results that are not more suitable than the word I've already thought of, especially those that come off as pseudo-intellectual.

Orwell's "Never use a long word where a short one will do" is essential for communicating in professional life and should be driven home in middle school creative writing classes, when students are likely to mistake using big and obscure words for writing well. Still, I think people have wrongly taken this as gospel. Sometimes the polysyllabic and/or uncommon word better conveys your meaning. And sometimes a big word is a toy and you just want to play with it; test it out and see what you can do with it. Using "old" or "ancient" is generally the best option, but "hoary" has its place.

Sure, but that's using a thesaurus to remind yourself of a word you already know, nuances and all, not to find an entirely new word, which is a bit of a different kettle of fish. But yeah, Orwell's saying has its place, but too much emphasis is generally placed on the "never" part and far too little on the "where a short one will do". Or maybe "will do" is misunderstood, I don't know. A short word with the exact same meaning definitely will do; a short word that lacks half the nuances and implications of the longer word if and when those nuances and implications are a crucial part of the message you're conveying will not do.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:20 pm 

While we're giving advice, allow me to provide some: never call an album a band's 'opus' when what you mean is masterpiece or magnum opus. I've seen this way too often on this site, and it's irritating as hell. It's no different from saying, 'This is the band's album.' No shit. 'Opus' simply means 'work'; do not use it to mean something more! It just makes you look stupid and pretentious.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:42 pm 

(Thanks up there, Thiestru - I wasn't aware of that, although I don't recall ever using the word "opus" before, but maybe I did, I don't know.
Regarding the 'ol thezaurus, this is the thing: there's a certain, level-headed way to go about it which involves a subtle, maybe even subconscious, seventh
sense or something...
I realize I sound bombastic, akin to "a galaxy-brained doofus copypasting antiquated nonsense" (I need a guffawing to death emoj here) like Kalmer or Klaber up there (jeez, is that guy for real?! Too much!; for the record, I don't talk like how I write, if I did, I'd shoot myself), but essentially, it has its purposes. I've been going overboard of late though so am going to keep it in check from now on.

Also though, it's sort of just for fun; personally, I dig absorbing new, out-there words whilst (!) reading reviews, like Tanuki and bayern often incorporate in theirs ("stentorian", or "vociferous"?, anyone?).
Alternatively, I get a kick out of reading someone else's and spotting a wonky word I'd recently employed, as there's always a chance they'd (raucously) gleaned it off me!

I also admit I go too far, so I apologize for that (i.e. this one, particularly: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... WER/374625)
Suffice to say, I never want to go through what I did writing up Primitai again! It was, bluntly put, torturous (sorry Cauldron, "torture" is NOT too kind!).

I think Derigin said it best; It's worth re-instating, actually:

"Likewise, if you know you have issues with English don't try to overdo it and include fancy words and synonyms for the sake of it. This is a huge problem generally, even in predominantly anglophone societies. It's often seen as smart and sneaky to go into a thesaurus and find a fancier sounding synonym for a word that you've used, and it's true that English has many, many synonyms for words. However, the English language is nuanced, and some of these synonyms wont flow, sound right, or even be properly used in the context you might place them in. For example, "the guitars were terrible," has a slightly different understanding than "the guitars were offensive," "the guitars were shocking," "the guitars were awesome." All synonyms (!). All with varying meanings that change in context."

We all have different styles and techniques...my credos are 1) Fear not the long sentence and 2) (I take this literally, not just as a cute, amusing proverb): the key to happiness is a rich vocabulary...
Personally, I'd rather veer towards 19th century manner of speech then a bland, lenitive one (eh, an example of what not to do here!)

Btw, right on Marco, for your kick-ass Hitten review, which, along with Twisted_Psychology's, has spurned me to action! (i.e. glean a copy from Grande-Rock, but I'm going to quit/stop announcing my upcoming write-ups as they always risk standing in as predictions...

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:44 pm 

Well, that, and it's just so...orotund!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:49 pm 

Just read your post, Cat III. Thank you!

OK, I'm done now! Godspeed! (not "Satanspeed"; that was gleaned from TP...)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 354, 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360 ... 520  Next