Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:21 am 

Jon Hopkins' newest just leaked today and I've gotta say, current AOTY, definitely going to be grabbing the vinyl when it drops. First thing that's come out in 2018 so far that's really blown me away even with the high expectations I had for it after the legendary Immunity. An hour and change trip of stellar, lush, pulsating soundscapes coupled with a few more downtempo, moody, modern classical piano pieces all capped off with that immaculate Hopkins production. 100% worth the 5 year wait, what a way to follow up a near perfect album. That being said, between this, Rival Consoles, Autechre's NTS Sessions, A.A.L., Nils Frahm, and soon Oneohtrix Point Never, this is shaping up to be a very good year for electronic. Shit, all that's missing at this point is for BoC to come back from the dead again.

PvtNinjer wrote:
Ayyy, so how about the new Hop Along? Loved Get Disowned and this new album is quite nice, although maybe not as immediate as their past work. Vocals are stellar as usual.

Seconded, Frances Quinlan is still easily one of indie's best voices rn. I really enjoyed Get Disowned and somehow overlooked Painted Shut when it dropped, but that and this new one were pretty much all I listened to last week.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:45 pm 

I've actually never heard painted shut but get disowned is fucking wicked. I should check out painted shut, huh?

MrMetalpants
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:59 pm 

--Wrekmeister Harmonies is listed on this site but I think it's mostly due to his previous post-doom albums. The Alone Rush doesn't have much to do with metal but it's still a good listen if you're in the mood for it. It's what I wanted Nick Cave's previous 2 albums to be.

--Octopus isn't on this site (The one from Detroit) and I tried to add them but didn't have enough material to prove their metal worthiness. They're like is Wolfmother was playing songs written by The Sword.

--Primus released The Desaturating Seven which is their shortest album. There's even some spoken word tracks that don;t have much going for them (It's based off a trippy 70's childrens book). The proper Primus songs are exactly what you want out from them.

--A Perfect Circle released Eat the Elephant and it's average. I'm mainly putting it here because there was no marketing for it leading up to release. It was released as a surprise on 4/20 just like Sleeps's latest release. I think their other albums are better, but this trails only a little behind Mer de Noms and a whole lot behind Thirteenth Step.

arnvidr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:09 pm 

MrMetalpants wrote:
--A Perfect Circle released Eat the Elephant and it's average. I'm mainly putting it here because there was no marketing for it leading up to release. It was released as a surprise on 4/20
What? The release date had been known for months. They announced it in February, along with the third (!) single from the album. Quite a lot of promotion for that album.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:53 pm 

arnvidr wrote:
MrMetalpants wrote:
--A Perfect Circle released Eat the Elephant and it's average. I'm mainly putting it here because there was no marketing for it leading up to release. It was released as a surprise on 4/20
What? The release date had been known for months. They announced it in February, along with the third (!) single from the album. Quite a lot of promotion for that album.

Seriously. Not only that, the Primus was released in 2017. Oddly misinformed post. Oh well.
Obliteration

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:03 pm 

I was all set to pick up that album when it was announced. I was excited to get it and have a 4/20 fest in a legal state with my friends and a new soundtrack for it, but after the singles dropped I just became so ambivalent to that new A Perfect Circle album. It's certainly not as artistic 'Mer de Noms' or direct and tear jerking as 'Thirteenth Step'. The most that can be said about that album is that it's, thankfully, not fucking shithouse 'Emotive'.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:01 pm 

Saba's Care For Me is absolutely amazing. Prom / King is one of the best songs I've heard in quite a while, the storytelling on this album is just so amazing.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:21 pm 

A Porcupine's Narrative released a pretty cool EP in April, titled "Of Imaginary Friends and Enemies Unknown." The band features Travis Orbin of Darkest Hour and they play a modern sounding progressive metal/rock style. The vocalist is very unique and they do well to separate themselves from all the Periphery and Tesseract copycats out there.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:51 am 

The new album by Noisepicker is really cool. People keep throwing doom tags around in reviews but it sounds like Swans or Flipper playing blues music to me.

https://noisepicker.bandcamp.com/album/peace-off

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:43 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
.Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour: OH HELL YEAH. This is some good shit. Poppy country written extremely well with hooks that will be stuck in your head all day. The lyrics are down to earth and very nice as well and Kacey sounds great. Probably instantly became one of my favourites this year.

Yeah, it is a great album. Enjoyed it a lot more than Pageant Material, which I found a bit uneven after the incredible Same Trailer Different Park. "High Horse" is ridiculously catchy. As far as country goes, I still need to give the new Ashley Monroe album a listen, as she usually delivers good stuff as well.

My favourite so far though is the new Pennywise. Nothing original or fancy, just straight up, kick ass punk. The new No Fun At All is pretty handy too.

Still need to give Janelle Monáe's Dirty Computer a few more spins, but there's some cracking tracks on that one after my first couple of listens.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:09 pm 

Tropical Fuck Storm (a side project of Gareth Liddiard from Australian experimental rock outfit, The Drones) dropped their debut a few weeks back and it's definitely quite the album. A mind bending melting pot of punk blues, noise rock, as well as hints of post-punk and psyche. It's relatively similar to Liddiard's previous work with The Drones (who are also incredible), taking some of the more contrasting elements of each album and smashing them together into a 47 minute long nihilistic fever dream. Also, 10/10 band name.

New Parquet Courts is definitely worth a mention as well and is currently up there as an AOTY contender for me at the moment. Their blend of indie and punk continues to progress as they seem to just be getting better with each record. This one is another mixed bag of influences from Talking Heads to The Fall to Archers of Loaf and meshes them together with their own brand of quality, southern influenced, guitar driven indie rock. Those basslines are some of the best I've heard since last year's Protomartyr album (speaking of which, fired up for their new EP) and Freebird II has definitely gotta be song title of the year. Peep it.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:11 pm 

I quite enjoyed the new Now, Now album. I love the direction they've taken.

Still eagerly awaiting Thrice.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:49 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
MGMT - Little Dark Age. Fun as hell.

MGMT has been a drastically inconsistent band since their conception, in my opinion. But, Little Dark Age is a pretty good come-back and a well deserved return to relevancy for the band.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:29 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:
MGMT - Little Dark Age. Fun as hell.

MGMT has been a drastically inconsistent band since their conception, in my opinion. But, Little Dark Age is a pretty good come-back and a well deserved return to relevancy for the band.

Honestly back when they were huge I wasn't really into that music, I was in my PURE METAL phase and so I can't really speak on much other than their singles (which were admittedly really good, looking back). I agree with you, though, LDA is just great pop songwriting front to back. It's also hella diverse, where some of these electro-indie acts tend to kinda be one note. I mean comparing songs like when you die to she works out too much to me and michael and so on, there is such a diversity of mood and sound without sacrificing memorability and hooks.

Just checked out the new Half Waif, pretty good, emotionally striking, if suffering a bit from the one note sound (maybe you would argue it's thematically consistent lol). Reminds me a bit of The Moon Rang Like a Bell by Hundred Waters (which was my introduction to this kind of folksy indie synth pop and consequently my gold standard for this sound) but not quite as fun or memorable. It makes up for it in a way with emotional heft and great lyrics.

Also just wanna say Cardi B rules and Invasion of Privacy is a fucking banger front to back. Seriously great stuff.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:48 pm 

The new release by Bambara, "Shadow On Everything" is an unique and great deathrock release with a good helping of dark country influence or as the bandcamp tag calls it 'cowpunk'. Particular highlights for me 'Momument' where they sound extra demented or the relatively softer duet in 'Backyard'.

https://bambara.bandcamp.com/album/shadow-on-everything

Gornot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:35 pm 

For those interested in cultural, mellow and inspirational folk/new age/world music, Loreena McKennitt's new album "Lost Souls" dropped almost a month ago and I strongly recommend it. She's been making music since the 80s and apart from one super shitty Christmas album in 2008, her music is gorgeous.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:06 am 

I accidentally posed these suggestions in the "non metal albums you'd give 100%", so I'll post here as well.

Some non-metal i've been listening to a lot lately:

Pusha T= DAYTONA
Maybe my favourite Pusha album, and that's saying a lot. I've loved his work since Fear Of God II, and this new one just flows so well. It's super short in length, but the quality is all there

Kanye West- Ye
VERY front loaded. I think the first four tracks are fantastic, and then it falls off a bit for me. Regardless of how I feel about him as a human, I can usually find something I like in his music. Plus, I as well, am bipolar, and never thought I'd relate so much to some of Kanye's lyrics.

Still trying to digest the new Father John Misty, and I seem to like it way more than Pure Comedy so far. I've LOL'd many times at his lyrics. The new Chvrches is a little bit of a let down for me. Although, it has some great bangers right by the beginning (Graffiti, Get Out).

I've heard the new Waka Flocka Flame a couple times. Wow. It's HEAVY. If you can use the term heavy for rap (trap) music, this is it. It's way too fucking long at like, 24 tracks. Would have made an amazing 12-14 song trap album though.

I also found a folk singer named Juliana Daughtery. Her new album "Light" is really pretty.

And just heard the new Lykke Li for the first time and it's a little TOO pop for me. I really loved her last album. I can't believe she hasn't released a record since 2014.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:36 am 

This Father John Misty is seriously captivating. So good... I loved Pure Comedy though.

The Kanye album seemed intriguing at first, but after a few listens it just sounds hollow, tired and undercooked. Pretty empty really.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:13 pm 

jimbies wrote:
And just heard the new Lykke Li for the first time and it's a little TOO pop for me. I really loved her last album. I can't believe she hasn't released a record since 2014.

Completely forgot about this until I read your post. Get what you mean about being a bit too pop, did enjoy it though. Not sure if it'll stand up to her previous stuff though.

Also gave Willie Nelson's latest one a spin. Really good album.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:20 am 

Jon Singleton has crafted one of the most beautiful and moving house (I think? I suck at dance genres) albums with Singularity. Beautiful ambient swells to climaxes of wonderful rhythms that boarders on something close to spiritual. The album ends on a wonderful, soft note, reminds me of coming down from a mushroom trip as the sun sets.

I'm going really slow thru my albums this year, finally checked out the triple album SR3MM from Rae Sremmurd, which has some awesome music on it (Bedtime Stories, Touchscreen Navigation, Lost Angels, Changed Up and Juggling Biddies are my favourites) but it is also predictably over long.

Iceage came out with a really great album on Beyondless. Songs like Pain Killer have some great brass sections that kinda remind me of something off of Exile on Main St. Really great stuff here.

Still need to check out a lot of big name stuff like FJM, Ye, Daytona, Chvrches. But I'm getting there lol

edit: did I mention SOB X RBE earlier in this thread? Revisting Gangin' and god damn. So good, Anti-Social is my summer anthem. Just great summer vibes with great melodic hooks.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:12 pm 

Jon Singleton? :lol: I need to check out the new albuns, as I've only listened to Immunity.

I don't know what genre Jon Hopkins is either, but I don't think it's house. You can see tags like ambient eletronica, chillout and even IDM thrown about. *shrugs* Like, what's Carbon Based Lifeforms? My electronica-savvy friends tend to call it different things based on their frames of reference.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:03 am 

Lmfao whoops :lol:Not sure where I got singleton from, I guess Singularity. The mind works in mysterious ways.

Pitchfork called in acid house in their review but I dunno. Good shit tho

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:15 am 

Ulf Söderberg's first album since 2005, Inland, recently got a wide release on Ant-Zen, if you can really call it a "wide" release. You can order it here: https://mailorder.ant-zen.com/product/id/3217 While this was technically "released" in 2016, that only amounted to a handful of copies given out to fans at shows.

There is a greater variety of drum patterns on display than in the past, more instrumentation (actual flutes along with voice synthesizers), but fewer samples and field recordings than in his past work. The production and mixing is outstanding.

It is overall a breathtaking album, though I am unsure how I would rank it within the pantheon of Söderberg and Sephiroth albums. His second solo album, Tidvatten, has been my favorite album of any genre for years. This new one does not eclipse it, but I can't decide much more than that at the moment. I do enjoy more than his debut album Nattljus, which while good has long been my least favorite of his.

At any rate, it's comparable in quality to Draconian Poetry and Vindarnas Hus.

If I could tag posters I would tag rexxz a thousand times over since I know he loves this stuff.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:33 pm 

Keeping with the conversation about Pusha T/Kanye West's albums;

The KIDS SEE GHOSTS release is pretty good, as well. Can't help but think if YE and this one were put together with all the best stuff, it would be one great record instead of two good ones.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:09 pm 

Finally got around to the new Beach House... dig it, not as much as Thank Your Lucky Stars, but it's got some nice tunes. I especially love Lemon Glow. Also checked out the new Glitch Mob album (fan of the old stuff from way back) and it's pretty much what you would expect, but if you liked their last two it's worth a listen.

edit: The new Arctic Monkeys album is pretty great, very Bowie inspired.

Ludicus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:26 pm 

Currently spinning the new Gorillaz. Feels more like a solo effort from Albarn but I'm not yet sure if I like it more than Humanz.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:11 pm 

Parquet Courts Parquet Courts Parquet Courts

Their best album yet and an instant contender for AOTY 2018. Wide Awake is fucking incredible, full of Clash like songwriting and woke ass lyrics, this album is absolutely incredible.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:04 am 

IX Leviathan wrote:
Jon Hopkins' newest just leaked today and I've gotta say, current AOTY, definitely going to be grabbing the vinyl when it drops. First thing that's come out in 2018 so far that's really blown me away even with the high expectations I had for it after the legendary Immunity. An hour and change trip of stellar, lush, pulsating soundscapes coupled with a few more downtempo, moody, modern classical piano pieces all capped off with that immaculate Hopkins production. 100% worth the 5 year wait, what a way to follow up a near perfect album. That being said, between this, Rival Consoles, Autechre's NTS Sessions, A.A.L., Nils Frahm, and soon Oneohtrix Point Never, this is shaping up to be a very good year for electronic. Shit, all that's missing at this point is for BoC to come back from the dead again.

I've been trying to get into different types of electronic music off and on but rarely finding my niche. However I listened to Jon Hopkins and it's amazing. I love it. I mostly listened to Singularity but also Immunity. Amazing stuff!
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:50 am 

I've been really digging the self titled American Nightmare album lately. Never thought they'd come back, and under their original name to boot... I suppose it's not quite the hardcore/punk classic that "Background Music" was but I still enjoy it.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:30 pm 

Shitton of good stuff has dropped in the past couple months but just wanted to throw out Idles - Joy as an Act of Resistance. Probably my most anticipated album this year and this shit bangs every bit as hard as their previous record, Brutalism (which wound up being my AOTY last year). Still digesting it, but definitely a big AOTY candidate for me right now alongside Parquet Courts, Birds in Row, and Jon Hopkins. Seems they've shifted to a bit of more upbeat, anthemic sound with a few of the tracks and it's more lyrically focused on social issues this time around, but overall it's still just as British, pissed off, sarcastic, and quotable as their last album.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:59 am 

IX Leviathan wrote:
Tropical Fuck Storm (a side project of Gareth Liddiard from Australian experimental rock outfit, The Drones) dropped their debut a few weeks back and it's definitely quite the album. A mind bending melting pot of punk blues, noise rock, as well as hints of post-punk and psyche. It's relatively similar to Liddiard's previous work with The Drones (who are also incredible), taking some of the more contrasting elements of each album and smashing them together into a 47 minute long nihilistic fever dream. Also, 10/10 band name.

A MUST-HAVE for fans of early, darker Nick Cave.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:04 am 

The new album from The Interrupters is pure brilliance.

Imagine if Rancid followed up ...And Out Come the Wolves by adding a female vocalist and writing an album's worth of "Time Bomb" level punk-ska catchiness. That's The Interrupters.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:07 am 

New Silent Island album is super chill and surprisingly somber compared to their previous stuff. Really good for relaxing, sleeping, meditating.

https://silentisland.bandcamp.com/album/stormvalley

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:52 pm 

this is so good I can't even handle it. I hope it enjoys its definite place as a top 5 AOTY

https://usssy.bandcamp.com/album/voyage

uSSSy - Voyage

Quote:
vigorous Middle East-influenced experimental rock with a baritone quarter-tone guitar and energetic, creative drum beats.

Quote:
Voyage is the unexpected new masterpiece from the band that is sure to please to fans of experimental rock, Middle Eastern melodies, world music rhythms, and noise rock!

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:15 pm 

Rodman wrote:

Imagine if Rancid followed up ...And Out Come the Wolves by adding a female vocalist and writing an album's worth of "Time Bomb" level punk-ska catchiness. That's The Interrupters.

This band is basically female-fronted Rancid to me, and I have no quarrels with this. They're good at it and they're fun as hell to listen to. "She's Kerosene" also seems to be doing pretty damn well for a ska-punk song circa 2018. I feel like if it were 1998, it'd be a massive hit...

Also, I've been really digging the newest Alkaline Trio album "Is This Thing Cursed?" over the last week. Haven't liked an album this much by them since at least "Good Mourning", actually. Matt Skiba really brought it this time around (his tracks were largely meh on the last few albums), and Dan's songs are as great as ever. I was afraid Matt being in blink-182 would drain him further, and the cringe inducingly awful "California" didn't exactly help ease my worries, but I guess I was wrong. Also, Dan's songs have an almost Social Distortion vibe to them this time around, which is kinda different for these guys..

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:01 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Rodman wrote:

This band is basically female-fronted Rancid to me, and I have no quarrels with this. They're good at it and they're fun as hell to listen to. "She's Kerosene" also seems to be doing pretty damn well for a ska-punk song circa 2018. I feel like if it were 1998, it'd be a massive hit...

While I agree with your sentiment, I would counter that Rancid haven't released an album as good as the new Interrupters' since ...AOCTW, which was around 25 years ago (crazy, I know...).

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:22 pm 

Rodman wrote:

This is a really fucking good recommendation. On my first listen, and I'm digging this big time thus far.

Rodman wrote:
While I agree with your sentiment, I would counter that Rancid haven't released an album as good as the new Interrupters' since ...AOCTW, which was around 25 years ago (crazy, I know...).

Can't say I'm with you on this (just yet). I don't see this being at the level of Life Won't Wait (which, as known Clash worshipers, is Rancid's take on a Sandinista styled record), the second self-titled album (the most brutal Rancid album ever released) or Indestructible (a personal favorite of mine, super catchy and very energetic top to bottom). But, nitpicking aside, I will say this Interrupters record has huge potential to be a surprise favorite of mine from this year.

Thanks for the tip.
Obliteration

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:44 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
Rodman wrote:

This is a really fucking good recommendation. On my first listen, and I'm digging this big time thus far.

Rodman wrote:

Can't say I'm with you on this (just yet). I don't see this being at the level of Life Won't Wait (which, as known Clash worshipers, is Rancid's take on a Sandinista styled record), the second self-titled album (the most brutal Rancid album ever released) or Indestructible (a personal favorite of mine, super catchy and very energetic top to bottom). But, nitpicking aside, I will say this Interrupters record has huge potential to be a surprise favorite of mine from this year.

Thanks for the tip.

I appreciate both LWW and the second S/T (not big on Indestructable, but I probably haven't listened to it since its release...), but ultimately they are both a bit too samey for me to consider them classics; I definitely need to be in a certain mood to want to listen to either of them. This new Interrupters record, on the other hand, is replete with catchy, memorable tunes that all possess their own distinct character - just like ...AOCTW. This is definitely an album that I will return to for years to come.

I'd also suggest that you check out their previous album. It's of a similar quality.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:51 am 

Amber Gray wrote:
uSSSy - Voyage

sounds like its straight up my alley, gonna check it out

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:44 am 

I cannot get into Little Dark Age. Too much vaporwavey floating around and 80s nostalgia circle jerking. That ‘me and Michael’ one especially. had to skip the track after being unable to handle the foul and uncomfortable vibrations it gave me.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next