Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 702
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:16 am 
 

Most glaring is how horrific Anders' vocals have gotten with each album. Just atrocious on these new singles.

Top
 Profile  
tahu157
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:22 pm
Posts: 570
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:01 pm 
 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Most glaring is how horrific Anders' vocals have gotten with each album. Just atrocious on these new singles.

Think he's hurt his voice or is he just losing his technique?

Top
 Profile  
Red_Death
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:51 pm
Posts: 657
Location: Croatia
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:41 pm 
 

tahu157 wrote:
Think he's hurt his voice or is he just losing his technique?

I think his voice was terminally "hurt" at birth.

But seriously, I had to check if it was really the new IF song playing once Anders barged in. It's a bit different from his attempts at singing on post-RtR albums (ones I gave a cursory listen to at least). And it's truly abominable.
_________________
And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.

Top
 Profile  
PvtNinjer
Veteran

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:45 am
Posts: 3935
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:53 pm 
 

I actually like this single. Sure it's kinda corny, but the verses are kinetic and fun and the chorus is catchy. Also, I don't really find the harsh vocals that bad here, is it just me? Seems servicable.

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 702
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 pm 
 

Yeah, it's just you. These new songs are a total joke.

Top
 Profile  
Vadara
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:14 pm
Posts: 112
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:41 pm 
 

I only heard a few of the new songs and they just sound kinda generic melodic metalcore-ish, not astounding but certainly not worthy the hilarious over-the-top performative disgust they're arousing in this topic. I have zero interest in listening to it, but it's just...whatever.

Top
 Profile  
traxan
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:52 pm
Posts: 961
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:54 pm 
 

tahu157 wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Most glaring is how horrific Anders' vocals have gotten with each album. Just atrocious on these new singles.

Think he's hurt his voice or is he just losing his technique?


Dude's been screaming for 25 years. That voice ain't gonna hold up forever.

Top
 Profile  
LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:53 pm
Posts: 193
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:00 am 
 

Vadara wrote:
I only heard a few of the new songs and they just sound kinda generic melodic metalcore-ish, not astounding but certainly not worthy the hilarious over-the-top performative disgust they're arousing in this topic. I have zero interest in listening to it, but it's just...whatever.

This is how I feel about 2 out of 3 of them, but "(This Is Our) House" really is that bad to these ears. I think it's the child choirs that make it so annoying. I genuinely think of it as one of their worst singles.

Top
 Profile  
Vadara
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:14 pm
Posts: 112
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:06 am 
 

Yeah I just listened to that song and it was hot garbage, good lord. I thought I was gonna fall asleep during those utterly lifeless verses. They don't even have catchy chord progressions, they're just lifeless and soulless chugging but, like, not even heavy or polyrhythmic -core chugs. Suddenly I understand what Metal fans say when they say a song feels weak and spineless.

Top
 Profile  
ambientsorrow
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 am
Posts: 189
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:03 pm 
 

First time hearing "(This Is Our) House", holy shit it is completely terrible. Were they trying to write an anthem they could try and get the crowd to sing along to? It's awful.

Top
 Profile  
Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:13 pm
Posts: 132
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:58 pm 
 

This is just bad. They have been bad for a while and there's no reason to think that as they get older they'll suddenly develop an edge or something. As long as they can make money with this stuff they have zero incentive to suddenly start making quality music again.

Top
 Profile  
PvtNinjer
Veteran

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:45 am
Posts: 3935
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:47 pm 
 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Yeah, it's just you. These new songs are a total joke.


I guess I like to laugh :lol:

Top
 Profile  
Evoken
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 11:02 am
Posts: 797
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:58 pm 
 

Thiestru wrote:
I've never understood the hate that 'Colony' gets around here. That's a great, fun, catchy album, probably the best they ever did. I've always liked 'Whoracle' too. Really, everything up to and including 'Clayman' is A-ok in my book.


Colony is a great album. The only negative I would give it is the inclusion of "Behind Space '99". It's actually a pretty solid re-recording, but it doesn't fit with the rest of the material. They should have swapped that song out with the Japanese bonus track "Man Made God", which is an incredible instrumental that has no business being reduced to the status of a bonus-track. Behind Space '99 and Clad in Shadows '99 should have been the two bonus tracks.

Clayman is a great album too, although to a slightly lesser extent than Colony. Definitely the last good In Flames album. After that it went downhill very quickly.

Top
 Profile  
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 427
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:11 pm 
 

I think Colony was their best but I honestly like most albums up through Come Clarity which I consider their last good one.

My favorites are Colony, Whoracle, Lunar Strain and Jester Race. I also really do like Clayman and Come Clarity to a lesser extent.

Soundtrack to your Escape and Reroute to Remain were the weakest of that era but still listenable for me, even despite how much everyone shits on Soundtrack, but IMO they should have broken up after Come Clarity, and really, if they wanted to truly break up at a high point after Clayman (though some would say after Colony).

The question becomes: to quit while ahead or go on at the expense of making shitty music.

I think quit will you're ahead.

It bugs me because even up until Come Clarity, and certainly up until Clayman, they were one of my favorite bands EVER and still are.

Metallica pretty much did the same thing, even though Death Magnetic is half way decent, but still.

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 702
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:22 pm 
 

Evoken wrote:
Thiestru wrote:
I've never understood the hate that 'Colony' gets around here. That's a great, fun, catchy album, probably the best they ever did. I've always liked 'Whoracle' too. Really, everything up to and including 'Clayman' is A-ok in my book.


Colony is a great album. The only negative I would give it is the inclusion of "Behind Space '99". It's actually a pretty solid re-recording, but it doesn't fit with the rest of the material. They should have swapped that song out with the Japanese bonus track "Man Made God", which is an incredible instrumental that has no business being reduced to the status of a bonus-track. Behind Space '99 and Clad in Shadows '99 should have been the two bonus tracks.

Clayman is a great album too, although to a slightly lesser extent than Colony. Definitely the last good In Flames album. After that it went downhill very quickly.


I agree with everything in this post! How the fuck does Colony get any hate anywhere? It's EASILY the band's best album - it has their best song ever (Zombie Inc) and the best instrumental track they ever did (Man Made God) and tons of classic songs like Embody the Invisible, Ordinay Story, Coerced Coexistence etc. An amazing album in all regards.

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 8078
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:06 am 
 

Their 90s stuff is easily their best work, but I've got a soft spot for Reroute to Remain and Come Clarity. They were the first two In Flames albums I ever heard. There's still enough old In Flames in RtR that it's not too extreme of a change (as opposed to if you went directly from Colony to, say, A Sense of Purpose), and Come Clarity just has some insanely good, hard hitting songs on it.

Soundtrack to Your Escape can suck my dick, though. That album absolutely sucks.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 702
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:59 pm 
 

I respectfully disagree with that assessment. Perhaps you feel that way because, as you said, those two albums were your starting point. For me and others like me who got into the band well before RtR, it was glaringly clear how much of a stylistic shift they made from Clayman to RtR by shifting the melody from the guitars to the vocals.

Top
 Profile  
Burnyoursins
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:59 am
Posts: 1001
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:48 pm 
 

traxan wrote:
tahu157 wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Most glaring is how horrific Anders' vocals have gotten with each album. Just atrocious on these new singles.

Think he's hurt his voice or is he just losing his technique?


Dude's been screaming for 25 years. That voice ain't gonna hold up forever.


But.. I mean... Devin Townsend's been doing it for about the same period of time, and that dude's voice sounds fucking fantastic. From a vocalist's perspective, Anders' does have a really awful technique, and I'm sure he's done some very serious damage.
_________________
My last.fm:
http://www.last.fm/user/OurFatherChaos

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 702
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:23 pm 
 

Yeah the age thing doesn't get him off the hook. There are guys who have been using death metal vocals for longer than Anders and they still sound awesome.

Top
 Profile  
Goatfangs
Wicker Mantis

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:02 pm
Posts: 2531
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:50 pm 
 

I like Reroute to Remain for a similar reason, it and Soundtrack to Your Escape were my introductions to In Flames. I don't hate either album (although I do skip around both when I listen to them).

Come Clarity came out shortly after I got into In Flames, I actually bought the album at their show in Philly that February that was signed by the whole band.

But if I were to rank my favorite In Flames albums, it would be something like this:

1. Colony
2. Jester Race
3. Whoracle
4. Clayman
5. Lunar Strain
6. A Sense of Purpose
7. Come Clarity
8. Reroute to Remain
9. Sounds of a Playground Fading
10. Soundtrack To Your Escape
11. Siren Charms
12. The Tokyo Showdown
13. Used & Abused - In Live We Trust
14. Trigger
15. The split with Meshuggah
16. (this space intentionally left blank)
17. Battles
_________________
And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

7|10|42-RIP-5|16|10

Top
 Profile  
HeavenDuff
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:35 pm
Posts: 1114
Location: Quebec, Canada
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:02 pm 
 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
I respectfully disagree with that assessment. Perhaps you feel that way because, as you said, those two albums were your starting point. For me and others like me who got into the band well before RtR, it was glaringly clear how much of a stylistic shift they made from Clayman to RtR by shifting the melody from the guitars to the vocals.


This.

I like how these discussions about In Flames have changed over time. I remember back when I was in high school, In Flames' "mid-era" was basically over. I'm talking about the whole Whoracle, Clayman and Colony thing. At the time, that was the only In Flames I knew. It's all the metalhead kids in high school talked about even if Reroute and Soundtrack were already out. We didn't care for these albums. And then Come Clarity came out. I remember kind of enjoying it, but it felt off a little. Like something was missing. And at the time, metalheads were very critical towards the album. I like how nowadays some In Flames fans like to refer to Come Clarity as one of the good ones, stuff that In Flames did before "turning bad", haha! It's true that when you compare it to the last four shits they dropped on us, Come Clarity was definitely not bad!

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 8078
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:24 pm 
 

I think it's because no matter how bad RtR through A Sense of Purpose was perceived as being at the time, it's still leagues better than what came afterwards. The band really started their current downward spiral when Jesper left. He was the one writing everything, and he really was the glue that held that band together. When he left, it became very, very apparent that he was the only one in the band with any talent at writing songs, much like what happened to Queensryche when Chris DeGarmo quit. Everything they've done since he left has been the absolute dirt worst garbage you can possibly imagine.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
true_death
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 1780
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:59 pm 
 

Goatfangs wrote:
I like Reroute to Remain for a similar reason, it and Soundtrack to Your Escape were my introductions to In Flames. I don't hate either album (although I do skip around both when I listen to them).

Come Clarity came out shortly after I got into In Flames, I actually bought the album at their show in Philly that February that was signed by the whole band.

But if I were to rank my favorite In Flames albums, it would be something like this:

1. Colony
2. Jester Race
3. Whoracle
4. Clayman
5. Lunar Strain
6. A Sense of Purpose
7. Come Clarity
8. Reroute to Remain
9. Sounds of a Playground Fading
10. Soundtrack To Your Escape
11. Siren Charms
12. The Tokyo Showdown
13. Used & Abused - In Live We Trust
14. Trigger
15. The split with Meshuggah
16. (this space intentionally left blank)
17. Battles


You must really hate Subterranean and Black Ash Inheritance then, to leave them off your list entirely :P
_________________
"My lifestyle, determines my deathstyle"

Top
 Profile  
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 427
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:06 pm 
 

true_death wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:
I like Reroute to Remain for a similar reason, it and Soundtrack to Your Escape were my introductions to In Flames. I don't hate either album (although I do skip around both when I listen to them).

Come Clarity came out shortly after I got into In Flames, I actually bought the album at their show in Philly that February that was signed by the whole band.

But if I were to rank my favorite In Flames albums, it would be something like this:

1. Colony
2. Jester Race
3. Whoracle
4. Clayman
5. Lunar Strain
6. A Sense of Purpose
7. Come Clarity
8. Reroute to Remain
9. Sounds of a Playground Fading
10. Soundtrack To Your Escape
11. Siren Charms
12. The Tokyo Showdown
13. Used & Abused - In Live We Trust
14. Trigger
15. The split with Meshuggah
16. (this space intentionally left blank)
17. Battles


You must really hate Subterranean and Black Ash Inheritance then, to leave them off your list entirely :P


Seriously.

Subterranean is great, and David's Disarm Their Goliaths off Black Ash Inheritance is tied with Jotun for my favorite In Flames song EVER.

That was when they REALLY had it, and it's tracks like that why anyone who knew them when they were good simply cannot accept anything less from them.

It's one thing to get used to a band being sub par, but it's entirely another for a band to go from being as on point as they were at that time to what they are now.

Top
 Profile  
Goatfangs
Wicker Mantis

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:02 pm
Posts: 2531
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:20 pm 
 

Oh, I was focusing on full lengths, only at the end did I put some extra random stuff that I haven't really listened to in order to put Battles at a lower placement.

I would probably put Black Ash in tandem with Whoracle and Subterranean in tandem with Jester Race. Both Stand Ablaze and Goliaths Disarm Their Davids are among my favorite In Flames songs.

The top 10, along with Black Ash Inheritance and Subterranean, I listen to frequently when I'm in the mood for In Flames. R2R, STYE and Come Clarity have a strong nostalgia factor for me. I was just getting into metal back in 2005 when I first heard In Flames, and the Come Clarity tour was the first time I drove myself to Philly for a concert.

The Mirror's Truth would go up there in tandem with A Sense of Purpose as well, when that EP was released it was honestly the best shit they had done since Clayman.
_________________
And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

7|10|42-RIP-5|16|10

Top
 Profile  
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 427
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:24 pm 
 

I just won't listen to anything that came out after Come Clarity.

I mean I've tried to give it a shot and I'll check out another couple tunes off the new one just in case, but it's always a let down.

Top
 Profile  
HeavenDuff
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:35 pm
Posts: 1114
Location: Quebec, Canada
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:45 am 
 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
I just won't listen to anything that came out after Come Clarity.

I mean I've tried to give it a shot and I'll check out another couple tunes off the new one just in case, but it's always a let down.


This is also how I feel about their discog. I sometime feel like listening to a select few tracks from Come Clarity, but with the exception for the new tracks I listenned to in this thread, I don't think I've listenned to anything they released afterward for at least 4 or 5 years. There is just much better music out there I can listen to.

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 702
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:15 am 
 

Stand Ablaze is such a cool song. That whole EP is quite fun to listen to. Man, those guys were so fucking good back then.

Top
 Profile  
Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:02 pm
Posts: 2305
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:34 am 
 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:
I just won't listen to anything that came out after Come Clarity.

I mean I've tried to give it a shot and I'll check out another couple tunes off the new one just in case, but it's always a let down.


This is also how I feel about their discog. I sometime feel like listening to a select few tracks from Come Clarity, but with the exception for the new tracks I listenned to in this thread, I don't think I've listenned to anything they released afterward for at least 4 or 5 years. There is just much better music out there I can listen to.


I'll join the club. Come Clarity was one hell of a fluke after the pits of STYE, but that's what it remained: a fluke.
_________________
Bands I'm in:
Phenris
In Corpore Mortis
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Top
 Profile  
Goatfangs
Wicker Mantis

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:02 pm
Posts: 2531
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:40 pm 
 

New song is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmOJxULhHsY

Kind of follows a similar pattern - pretty okay riffs, decent solo, Katy Perry chorus.
_________________
And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

7|10|42-RIP-5|16|10

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 702
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:46 pm 
 

I turned it off 10 seconds into the chorus. What an absolute embarrassment.

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3837
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:18 pm 
 

Formulaic and the hooks fall flat. Vague non-specific lyrics about how modern society is bad or something and how we have to "wake up". Uuuuuugh it's all so artistically bankrupt.

Top
 Profile  
schizoid
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:35 am
Posts: 1445
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:25 pm 
 

Goatfangs wrote:
Katy Perry chorus.


This is so apt.
_________________
add me on Untappd! https://untappd.com/user/ChairmanDrew

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3837
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:29 pm 
 

Hey, Katy Perry has some good choruses. Don't denigrate her with this comparison. :(

Top
 Profile  
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 am
Posts: 685
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:32 pm 
 

The new song might be the greatest from the new record that I have heard so far. Great riffs, sinister atmosphere, emotional vocals, cool lyrics and everything is said in three and a half consistent minutes.
_________________
''Visitors'' - a short story: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/visitors-a-short-story-p1453372

Top
 Profile  
SculptedCold
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:26 am
Posts: 386
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:26 pm 
 

Yeah, Katy Perry can actually sing. I don't know what Friden or his band thinks he's been doing, but it isn't singing and it's actively atrocious.

Top
 Profile  
traxan
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:52 pm
Posts: 961
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:04 am 
 

Goatfangs wrote:
New song is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmOJxULhHsY

Kind of follows a similar pattern - pretty okay riffs, decent solo, Katy Perry chorus.


Except we'd like to see Katy's boobs, not Anders' moobs.

Top
 Profile  
true_death
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 1780
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:08 am 
 

SculptedCold wrote:
Yeah, Katy Perry can actually sing. I don't know what Friden or his band thinks he's been doing, but it isn't singing and it's actively atrocious.


Gonna have to disagree here :lol:. At the risk of sounding cliché (metalhead disses pop music), Katy Perry flat out sucks, just a very bland and boring singer in my opinion. Anders might sound rough and whiny but at his very worst (let's say the song "Come Clarity") he still has personality and sings with conviction and emotion, I can't say the same for any Katy Perry song I've heard. (And if you're wondering how I know so much about Katy Perry's singing, I work in retail. Enough said, really! :P)
_________________
"My lifestyle, determines my deathstyle"

Top
 Profile  
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 am
Posts: 685
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:22 pm 
 

I'm with you. Some people try to sound edgy comparing Fridén's clean vocals to Katy Perry's. This isn't only a completely ridiculous comparison in the first place but Katy Perry is among the most terrible pop singers around. Okay, she's better than Miley Cyrus but there are many others that are much better like Lady Gaga.
_________________
''Visitors'' - a short story: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/visitors-a-short-story-p1453372

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3837
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:34 pm 
 

I'm not being edgy, I actually prefer Perry to Fridén's cleans. Katy Perry makes simple pop tunes, but they're well produced and while she doesn't seem to be the best live performer, her studio vocals sound fine. And live performance is something I do not care about when talking about pop.

Friden's cleans are wimpy and weak and just all around unpleasant to listen to, and they ruin possible good hooks. I never hated his harsh vocals though.

Edit: I remember that one song on (I think) Come Clarity that has some female guest vocals and it's not bad. I could see myself listening to a modern In Flames album if it had good poppy cleans.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group