* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:43 pm 

First single/album announcement:
Youtube: show

I'm not sure how I feel about this song. On one hand, it feels like it's gonna be this album's "Touch in the Night" or "Familiar Hell," but I liked those two songs way more than this. It's just so far out of their strike zone that it feels out of place. I do like the key change at the end, though, but that's not really enough to win me over just yet. We'll see if subsequent listens let it warm up to me, but as it stands, this ain't generating much hype from me.
Lupin III: Part IV
After That: Lupin III: Part 5 and Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:26 pm 

I quite like the song. The hook doesn't jump out like a lot of their stuff, but I feel like it'll grow on me over time.

Bloody Nine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:02 am 

I wish BB would write more songs that would really let Noora Louhimo cut loose. Her screams in "Raven" were unreal; it sucks that she ends up having to hold so much back for their newer, poppier style.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:09 am 

I like Familiar Hell more than I do this song. That being said I do still like it. For reasons already mentioned, plus I really like the lyrics and how vocally rhythmically dynamic the chorus is. It's a solid 6/10 in my book.

(Familiar Hell is an 8/10. Would be a 9/10 if it wasn't for the dumb "LISTEN TO ME" talking rap in the middle, which they wisely never do live)

Bloody Nine wrote:
I wish BB would write more songs that would really let Noora Louhimo cut loose. Her screams in "Raven" were unreal; it sucks that she ends up having to hold so much back for their newer, poppier style.

You may be thinking of screams from Anton and Eero (that's how they do it live, so that's my headcanon)

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:07 pm 

Judging by this first single this album will most likely be "Bringer of Pain" 2.0 (which is not a bad thing in my book). This new song seems to be what "Familiar Hell" was to BoP - the most pop metal song most likely. I love early BB (incl. their demos), when they were not that far into pop metal but I can definitely enjoy this. Especially live this band is so much fun - same with Powerwolf, Civil War and other bands that some like to call Plastic Metal. I like Plastic Metal if it's catchy!

Operation Pivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:28 pm 

I have to agree with many of the posters so far and say that it feels as though we've been here before.
Even with the key change and a 'not all that big' big finish from Noora, the track just seems to thud along. It's a 'nodder' but not a 'pumper'. Noora, and it's always a pleasure to hear her on a new track, seems somewhat 'narrowed' into particular expressive ranges (including ranges of pitch, intensity, crunch) for each verse, chorus etc.
The pop-ish elements here, like Familiar Hell and King for a Day from the last album, remind me again and again of ABBA. Whereas the pop-ish elements from Touch in the Night were more 80s. It could be a taste thing, but getting off the 80s retro line strikes me as a bad move.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:48 pm 

Tracklist:

Unbroken
No More Hollywood Endings
Eden
Unfairy Tales
Endless Summer
The Hero
Piece Of Me
I Wish
Raise Your Fists
The Golden Horde
World On Fire
Bent And Broken (bonus track)
My Last Dream (bonus track)

Those song-titles are....considerably less inspiring than the title track. Here I thought BB were going high-brow on us.

Reply to topic